but how do i clean it?

toxicfairy

SO I have a major dilemma I need help with. I purchased a second hand gown on line. It is absolutely stunning (and Almost fits) however I didn't realize it is 100% polyester. It is red with shimmery threads that make up a floral pattern. To  make it worse who ever had it had a dog (I have 2 and a cat so that they HAD pets is not the issue) and it has long white pet hairs in it randomly. I looked at the label and it says do not wash, do not dry clean , spot clean only. Ok Spot cleaning is not going to do as it needs to actually get clean and freshened up. It is low cut on the sides and front with flesh colored mesh material in those areas and it has straps like a thick tank top strap. It does have a bit of a train to it and a slit. It isn't as trashy as it sounds it is actually very stunning. And since our Formal night will be on Valentine's day i was looking for something to make my husbands eyes pop haha.

So ANY suggestions on how to clean it?? I had planned on taking it to the dry cleaners but it says not to dry clean. I'm dumb founded! HELP

How about a picture of it?

I've never known anything that was 100% polyester to not be washable.  I'm thinking the manufacturer thought the dress too delicate to wash. 

I would start with an old-fashioned hand wash with Woolite.  Test an inside seam with Woolite on a toothbrush first, blot with a white cloth,  and see how the fabric reacts and if the color runs.  Use cold water to avoid running colors.  If the test works, then fill a large clean sink (like kitchen or laundry room) with a Woolite solution according to instructions on the label.  I'd let it soak a few minutes to loosen any embedded hairs, smells, and soil.  Then, I'd dip and raise the whole dress several times in the solution.  This is a gentle "agitation".  I used to do this with fabric when I started sewing as a teenager; fabric I didn't trust to do well in a washing machine.  Then, drain the sink of all suds and soap.  Fill with clear water, and repeat the soak, "agitation".  You know the joke about rinse, repeat?  Well, do that.

When it looks like you've got it clean, then lay it out on a flat surface on a bed of towels.  Press gently with other towels on top, and "shape" the dress.  When it's not dripping (hold it up and see if it's holding the moisture instead of dripping), then hang it to finish drying.  If it's a mild day you might want to hang it outside if there's a little breeze to help it dry and fluff.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

The one change I would do after the gentle wash pcur mentioned, would be to dry it over a rack instead of hanging because hanging could stretch the straps.  I used to do work on formal gowns and wedding gowns, and hanging a wet gown could cause some real problems.  Something like this -- image.png.8673d6b35ed54861820dd3f9b115246c.png

• Like 1

The pet hairs aren't that noticeable but since i saw them i want to try to freshen it up. Even though i have pets their one off limit place is my Closet!! I have a nice size walk in/ room closet. Anything that doesn't walk on just 2 legs does NOT go in my closet . Plus I did notice some old deodorant on the inside of the gown. I expected it wouldn't be new now I just need to get it freshened up. Thank you for the help.

As suggested a very gentle hand wash and squeeze surplus rinse water. Then what I do is spread a large towel on the dining table, put the gown on it and shape then roll up the gown in the towel and then gently squeeze the sausage shape it has become this will remove excess moisture, I then unroll put new dry towel on the table spread the unfilled gown on it and leave to dry in it's own time, our dining table is in the conservatory so the sunlight drys it steadily. Looks a smashing gown. Enjoy x

Edited by 2BACRUISER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

As suggested a very gentle hand wash and squeeze surplus rinse water. Then what I do is spread a large towel on the dining table, put the gown on it and shape then roll up the gown in the towel and then gently squeeze the sausage shape it has become this will remove excess moisture, I then unroll put new dry towel on the table spread the unfilled gown on it and leave to dry in it's own time, our dining table is in the conservatory so the sunlight drys it steadily. Looks a smashing gown. Enjoy x

Is your dining table made of wood?  That would damage ours.

I would be VERY hesitant to put that dress in any water - it may dry unevenly and leave all kinds of water stains.  Go to the dry cleaner and ask for suggestions on how to clean this.  They may have other ideas rather than dry cleaning it.  OR - the other thing you could do is try those Dryell dry-cleaning sheets but instead of putting the dress into the bag it comes with, try cutting the Dryell sheet in half, turning the dress inside out, and just put the dress in the dryer with the sheet. That'll give you a test run - if it does ok like that, you can turn it right-side out and just tumble dry it with a regular fabric softener sheet to remove the pet hair.  

Well good news. I had to drop my husbands suits off at the cleans so I took along the gown to see what they would say. She looked at it and said she didn't see why it couldn't be cleaned as the threads are shimmery but there are no glued on sequins or anything. So they are going to clean it one way or another. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...