Vegetarian at Guy's Burgers

estrawn

15 hours ago, daisymay1960 said:

Why should we be restricted as to where we can eat ? All the eating areas should cater for vegetarians , and  provide as many choices .I have looked at the menu examples for mdr  and there doesn't seem to be a lot of vegetarian choice , and it's all very well saying eat at the buffet but would prefer to eat with the rest of my party !

Not sure how the Carnival ship you are referring to is exactly structured but isn't Guys Burger just outside of the lido buffet. So in the end the vegetarian will still eat with their party at the table. If the vegetarian is not sure how the fries are cooked then do not chance it. So many options and you will all still sit at the same table. The ship does great to cater to most dietary needs but that does not have to mean every individual station needs to cater to all dietary needs. Some may not. 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:08 AM, estrawn said:

Believe me, attempts have been made but she has a will of iron 🤣

Having just experienced Guy burgers for the first time in the last month, that will, WILL, be tested.

Because those are glorious burgers.  So glorious I wish they were available on land.  So tasty that if there wasn't already a song called Cheeseburger in Paradise, it would inspire said song to be written.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:08 AM, estrawn said:

Believe me, attempts have been made but she has a will of iron 🤣

Having just experienced Guy burgers for the first time in the last month, that will, WILL, be tested.

Because those are glorious burgers.  So glorious I wish they were available on land.  So tasty that if there wasn't already a song called Cheeseburger in Paradise, it would inspire said song to be written.

Edited by fabuloso
They're so nice I mistakenly posted this twice!

On 10/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, RandomUser123 said:

If I were a strict vegetarian I would just play it safe and avoid Guys Burgers fries if you are not sure. Plenty of other options on the ship. 

I can think of 3 other options for fries on the ship, and all of them might have the same issues.  MDR (Sea Day Brunch, not sure for breakfast), Deli (which has a horrendous wait), and Room Service (which has a fee for hot foods).  It's easy to say there are lots of other options if you don't have any dietary restrictions.  Sometimes the offensive food can be an ingredient in something you would think is safe.  Like potatoes (french fries) which aren't a meat product, but might be cooked in meat.  Or any number of non-animal products like vegetables or pasta that are cooked in butter, chicken stock, or beef stock.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, biomedbob said:

My wife and I both have the Alpha-Gal allergy caused by a bite from the lone star tick.  We over do Guy's with their French Fries and pickles.

I just read about this recently and sounds awful 😞 

20 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

I don’t think you are being restricted at all. There are many vegetarian options available both in the buffets and MDR. Those of us who go to Guys Burgers are generally going for the real meat burgers not vegan burgers. If vegan becomes a choice available to you so be it but why should that become a mandate when other vegan options are available throughout the ship?

I can get really good, thick, medium rare burgers where we live so I can easily skip the flat, greasy Guys burger.  I'm there for the fries, which have more of a hand cut taste rather than frozen.  Not everyone who goes to guys is looking for any type of burger.  MDR isn't open for lunch, and many people don't like the buffet for risk of illness due to cross contamination or poor hygiene/etiquette from fellow cruisers.   Room service keeps you in your room and many items have a charge.  I didn't read where OP was mandating vegan or vegetarian, rather seeking clarification if it was even an option.

For any curious of the difference (not that I am either camp):

Vegan - lifestyle choice that includes a vegetarian diet; a moral decision to not use any animal product (including honey, leather, jello (gelatin).

Vegetarian - a diet that can be for ethical, religious, or medical reasons (or just preference).  Many types of vegetarians, some will eat dairy and/or eggs and some are more strict.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I can get really good, thick, medium rare burgers where we live so I can easily skip the flat, greasy Guys burger. 

This

1 hour ago, fabuloso said:

Because those are glorious burgers.  So glorious I wish they were available on land. 

Guy would never serve a burnt well done burger, served for speed, not quality. Cooking 101, never press a burger. Watch any of his shows, he likes a thick MR burger. The closest on land to Guy's is Freddy's, squished burgers

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Just curious, If a vegetarian ate Guy's fries and it really was a "meat" based oils or whatever, will they get sick? 

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

LOL....no.

Not correct. I stopped eating red meat 30 years by choice and I am a pescatarian. Beef and pork byproducts can cause severe stomach issues and in some with other health issues like myself it can cause a medical crisis.  It might not be a big issue when someone is home but on a cruise it's something to be avoided.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, coevan said:

Guy would never serve a burnt well done burger, served for speed, not quality. Cooking 101, never press a burger. Watch any of his shows, he likes a thick MR burger. The closest on land to Guy's is Freddy's, squished burgers

While I'm not generally a fan of a pressed, flat griddle burger they can likely be found at diners, drive-ins, and dives 😉 If I'm feeling very nostalgic I will even occasionally enjoy a McDonalds' hamburger (gasp 😮 ) but they don't tend to be burnt 🙂  

When visiting NY State this summer the restaurant we stopped at for lunch had a note on the menu that by state law ground beef had to be cooked well done so I don't fault the cruise line for erring on the side of caution either rather than risking potential food borne illness.   I just wait until I'm home for a good burger or maybe try to find one at a port 🙂 

On 10/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, estrawn said:

Our group includes a vegetarian who likes to strictly follow proper practices.  She loves french fries but stays away from any that are cooked in oil containing animal fat.  Does anyone here know the fry oil content at Guy's?

The guys making the burgers handle the fires, so if your friend is strict, this isn't the place to go!

7 minutes ago, AmBear said:

The guys making the burgers handle the fires, so if your friend is strict, this isn't the place to go!

If they follow proper food handling it might not be an issue.  I suspect the vegetarian dishes prepared for the MDR or buffet are prepared in the same galley(s) that also has meat products, so by your logic the friend can't eat anywhere on the ship.

25 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

If they follow proper food handling it might not be an issue.  I suspect the vegetarian dishes prepared for the MDR or buffet are prepared in the same galley(s) that also has meat products, so by your logic the friend can't eat anywhere on the ship.

That's it! I've seen those guys hustling at lunch with 2 lines going, and if I was a vegetarian I wouldn't go there! 

Worse are the passengers, 1/2 the men walk out of the bathrooms without washing their hands, not that I've done a survey🤨,

and walk thru the buffet and see how many serving handles are in the food!

My experience is that it just takes longer to get the veggie burger: They cook it when ordered, and the other burgers are cooked as you go so there/s no wait. I observed them heating the veggie burgers in a separate area, so possibly less contamination risk of mixing with red meat. However, the burrito and taco bar was right next door, it it seemed to me it was faster and fresher to just have a veggie burrito or taco instead of a veggie burger. I liked the veggie burger, and didn't mind the wait...once! For more regular routine lunches, I would just grab the burrito....

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, BNBR said:

What is so shocking about a vegetarian inquiring about a veggie burger?  Virtually every restaurant offers veggie burger options nowadays - even Burger King rolled out the Impossible Burger nationwide.  So again, why would a vegetarian need to stay away from a burger place?  It's actually highly unusual NOT to serve a veggie burger, which causes a lot of questions. 

My kids don't eat meat.  The Guys workers were more than happy to make them little grilled cheese sandwiches and almost seemed happy to do something other than slinging precooked meat off trays 

Actual conversation I overheard at McDs the other day. 

Customer:  I would like two grilled cheese sandwiches with extra pickles. 

Cashier:  We don't sell grilled cheese sandwiches.

Customer:  I would like two cheeseburgers with extra pickles hold the beef patty.

Cashier:  [calling to manager]  can we sell a cheeseburger without the burger? 

Manager:  Yup, hit the cheeseburger button than the hold button than beef patty button. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

Customer:  I would like two cheeseburgers with extra pickles hold the beef patty.

Manager:  Yup, hit the cheeseburger button than the hold button than beef patty button. 

This is literally our experience everytime we get happy meals, lol.  Hold the patty.  Usually they put extra cheese. Kids love it.  McD really should just have a cheese sandwich option for kids.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, Dixe Lee said:

Since I am neither these terms mean nothing to me but if I misspoke I apologize My point is that vegetarian options are available throughout and since the OP was referring to vegetarian I will stick with that 

Vegetarians don't eat animals - beef, chicken, fish etc.

Vegans don't eat animal products - all of the above plus eggs, dairy/milk, honey, also they won't wear leather or fur. 

4 hours ago, AmBear said:

There is a huge difference between not wanting to your fries cooked in animal fat and insisting the chef has never handled meat. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

download.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bookster99 said:

I observed them heating the veggie burgers in a separate area,

The grills I see are full of burgers. Unless you have a severe meet allergy, the slight cross contamination won't kill you.