THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Gary, 

I've just directed our TA to cancel our anniversary cruise scheduled for 6 March on Breakaway.

We did this because of NCL's change of policy on masks.  Our final payment would have been due the first week of January and we did not want to risk that much money.

Whether mask are a big deal or interfere with enjoyment is  a personal decision.  

We considered, we decided, we cancelled.

I completely respect your decision.  Please consider December 4, 2022 on the Breakaway out of New Orleans.  I know it won't be your wedding anniversary.  That week my wife is in the finals of the Slot Tournament on the Breakaway.  

Side note, our 40th wedding anniversary was two years ago in June.  Covid messed that up and the next cruises got cancelled. We just went on the NCL Joy at the end of November, 2021.  It was great however, it was not the 40th we were looking for.  So I fully understand your situation.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I completely respect your decision.  Please consider December 4, 2022 on the Breakaway out of New Orleans.  I know it won't be your wedding anniversary.  That week my wife is in the finals of the Slot Tournament on the Breakaway.  

Side note, our 40th wedding anniversary was two years ago in June.  Covid messed that up and the next cruises got cancelled. We just went on the NCL Joy at the end of November, 2021.  It was great however, it was not the 40th we were looking for.  So I fully understand your situation.

Cruise well.

Very kind of you to suggest that cruise. It would be an honor to join you.  

Lets let the smoke settle on this one.

• Like 2

A few years ago when I started this blog about the Haven, I did not realize it would still be something people liked to post on.  As the Holiday season comes upon us, I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors.  

I wanted to express how your participation made me feel.  It gave me great hope.  Hope that we would all cruise soon.  That we all would have the knowledge to get the most out of our cruising experience.  My journey was to a Luxury brand and back to the NCL Haven.  I had unbelievable luck in upgrades on both of my cruising experiences in 2021.  

What I am most grateful for is the feeling I got from my family.  In the past the words, "I hate cruising" happened all the time.  This past cruise experience on the NCL Joy to the person, everyone had a GREAT time.  Whether it was my wife, that does not gamble, winning the slot tournament and having an entry into the Slot "Winner Take All" tournament in December 2022. My Daughter whom call the Private Island beach villa a 10 or of 10.  She also did a TicTok of my on the cruise that is almost at 100,000 views.  My son spent most of his time on the largest balcony I have ever seen on any cruise ship. Finally, to me who has been searching for the old feeling of fun and excitement on our cruise vacations. 

I really don't believe you can re-live history.  This was a once in a life time cruise experience for so many reason's.  What we can all do is when this rare moment happens, keep in in our memory for days that can be challenging and tough times that life can bring our ways.  

All my best from my family to all of yours.  Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

A few years ago when I started this blog about the Haven, I did not realize it would still be something people liked to post on.  As the Holiday season comes upon us, I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors.  

I wanted to express how your participation made me feel.  It gave me great hope.  Hope that we would all cruise soon.  That we all would have the knowledge to get the most out of our cruising experience.  My journey was to a Luxury brand and back to the NCL Haven.  I had unbelievable luck in upgrades on both of my cruising experiences in 2021.  

What I am most grateful for is the feeling I got from my family.  In the past the words, "I hate cruising" happened all the time.  This past cruise experience on the NCL Joy to the person, everyone had a GREAT time.  Whether it was my wife, that does not gamble, winning the slot tournament and having an entry into the Slot "Winner Take All" tournament in December 2022. My Daughter whom call the Private Island beach villa a 10 or of 10.  She also did a TicTok of my on the cruise that is almost at 100,000 views.  My son spent most of his time on the largest balcony I have ever seen on any cruise ship. Finally, to me who has been searching for the old feeling of fun and excitement on our cruise vacations. 

I really don't believe you can re-live history.  This was a once in a life time cruise experience for so many reason's.  What we can all do is when this rare moment happens, keep in in our memory for days that can be challenging and tough times that life can bring our ways.  

All my best from my family to all of yours.  Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

You can help it just a bit, about "re-living" this cruise.

Repost that wonderful TikTok occasionally.

1) You'll have a great reminder!

2) WE will all have another great chuckle!

and

3) You'll keep that counter running!

😁

That was absolutely precious in so many ways.  Very special!

GC

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, stefmaia said:

Sometimes, if you have booked through certain TAs the package gets sent to them and you have to wait until it is forwarded to you. This happens to me all the time because I book through Amex Travel

I'm at 48 days and haven't got a letter. I booked direct online

I also still can't book shows or restaurants. Shore excursions recently opened up. Very recently. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, SwimmingDragon said:

So we are 66 days out. We are staying in a 2 Bedroom Family. I sold my family on the Haven. We all had a horrible time the first cruise we did together. It was overcrowded and over booked. I went on a Solo cruise years later and luckily was able to up bid on a Haven room. It was costly, but it was my only 7 days off for the year and it was worth it. I can’t begin to say how amazing the trip was. Everything I asked for, I got. I asked if I could have native dishes made by chefs that worked on the ship from around the world. I got it. I had an amazing Bartender actually make 2 different drinks that he actually spent a couple of hours cooking parts of the ingredients. I can say I tipped him well. I actually gave up a massage to save my money to tip him. My concierge, also amazing, would just pop up out of nowhere while I was wondering the ship to see how I was doing and make sure I had everything I needed. Like seriously? OMG, I love the Haven. I sold my Husband and Daughter that this cruise would be fully vaxed, only teens and adults would be on the ship and it would be around 60% capacity. That there was a ship within a ship and that the people who work there would do their best to make sure you had an amazing vacation. There were a few times for people trying to sell me on stuff to buy. Luckily I’m not one to buy what I don’t love and I’m not the typical person, in which I don’t like what most people like. I’m quirky like that. But I am sold on the Haven. I can’t wait. With at least 3 weeks prior to our leaving we plan on masking up and being super diligent on our staying safe routine. I plan on testing negative for our excursions and that’s the only way to guarantee we do. And if they have to cancel excursions because of Covid, so be it. I will be happy as a Haven passenger. And this time I get to share it with my family. I’ve been dealing with a lot on top of Covid this past many years. Part of this has come to an end and I can now take a real break with my family. I honestly can’t wait. 

The part about you being through a lot these past few years struck me hard. It's actually the reason I initially booked and my stress, health, grief and anxiety have only gotten a thousand times worse as this past August I lost my sister to Covid. I'm the baby and she was just 52. A few weeks after her my entire family got Covid and 2 of us had it very bad I still have some issues from it and then more health issues. I'm 45 and I rescheduled thos cruise right when 5 year olds were allowed to get vaccinated (our youngestis 5). I completely relate to needing the break. I had developed a sort of PTSD b4 I lost my sister so it was already bad. 😔 

Anyway,  I hope it made a difference for you! I sure hope it tips the scales the other direction for me. Hugs!

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, Sthrngary said:

I would not call myself a Guru, however I was on the Getaway, November 2019.  I was in a Haven Spa Suite.  We had a pillow menu.  The fact that you did not have one in a Haven 2 Bedroom family villa is surprising.  You gave the answer to your question.  That is definitely something I would ask for pre-cruise and when you get a response, safe it and bring on the ship.  I hope I helped.  Cruise well.

I'm goingvto ask. I've been wanting to try a cooling pillow bit never bought one because I thought it would be uncomfortable and not work. Plus shouldn't it be cooling on both sides. Lol. Sounds like a great opportunity to try. We have the 2 bdrm family villa. Crossing my fingers!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, momofjohnjr said:

I'm going to ask. I've been wanting to try a cooling pillow bit never bought one because I thought it would be uncomfortable and not work. Plus shouldn't it be cooling on both sides. Lol. Sounds like a great opportunity to try. We have the 2 bdrm family villa. Crossing my fingers!

We've only managed to actually get the cooling pillow once, but hubby claims it was amazing (he tends to get super hot at night, meanwhile I'm shivering with 3 blankets). We bought one for home, but with the pillowcase on it kind of diminishes the effect. Not sure what they did different on the cruise where it worked really well, but I guess we'll have to just take better notes on the type of case they put on it the next time we snag one.

Sorry to hear about all the hardships you've been through. This upcoming cruise for you will certainly be the break from reality you need. Even with masks on, you'll have nice weather, pretty scenery, someone else to do the cooking and cleaning, and an endless supply of alcohol. The Haven bartenders are by far the best I've ever seen. Don't be afraid to ask them for something odd or different.

They also make awesome dessert drinks - frozen tiramisu, frozen grasshopper.... next trip I'm skipping the boring deserts in the dining room and just drinking my calories away.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

We've only managed to actually get the cooling pillow once, but hubby claims it was amazing (he tends to get super hot at night, meanwhile I'm shivering with 3 blankets). We bought one for home, but with the pillowcase on it kind of diminishes the effect. Not sure what they did different on the cruise where it worked really well, but I guess we'll have to just take better notes on the type of case they put on it the next time we snag one.

Sorry to hear about all the hardships you've been through. This upcoming cruise for you will certainly be the break from reality you need. Even with masks on, you'll have nice weather, pretty scenery, someone else to do the cooking and cleaning, and an endless supply of alcohol. The Haven bartenders are by far the best I've ever seen. Don't be afraid to ask them for something odd or different.

They also make awesome dessert drinks - frozen tiramisu, frozen grasshopper.... next trip I'm skipping the boring deserts in the dining room and just drinking my calories away.

My religion doesn't allow alcohol. I haven't had a drink in 19 years. Lol. I love a virgin Bahama Mama but I can't replace Chambourd with cream. I have tried. Sometimes I do wish I could have a drink though. Mostly these past few years. But I'm sure I'll get some ultimate relaxation.  I just hope there are some kids my daughter can play with or we won't want to leave her in the kids program. Most kids will be in school but I'm not opposed to missing a bit of school for a lil adventure as long as grades are good. 😉

Did u find the same brand pillow? 🤔 

The dessert drinks have me curious though. Sounds very odd. I am hoping someone orders that smokey drink everyone seems to be mentioning.  I want to see that. If not maybe my son will buy it. (Does anyone know drink prices so I can give him a clue. He's not looked into anything himself. Meanwhile I'm practically studying the cruise months and months before. Lol!

30 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

They can make most drinks 'virgin' - just let them know. Cocktails are about $12 each, I'm sure there's a drink menu posted somewhere in these forums. If you drink coffee they also make some mean espresso drinks at the bar - again, just ask for it without the booze.

My favorite is a virgin mudslide. If you like chocolate it is yummy!

• Thanks 1

Aloha and Mahalo for all that you have done to explore and explain the Haven.

We are going for our forth Haven trip next month, 1/22, on the NCL Bliss out LA.

We do not get off in the ports and are able to enjoy lots of space in the Haven while others are off the ship touring.

We always order the water package.

• Like 1

We're now a week back from our first Haven experience on the Epic, and in the DOS no less. It was spectacular, from start to finish, and I really don't see how we'll be able to do anything other than Haven in the future. Seriously. 

If anybody has any questions for me, please let me know. Our butler was Ahkmod and our concierge was Raol; our steward was Dan. Our favorite Haven bartender was Olga--all these folks were amazing. Every single staff person we came into contact with on the ship was just fantastic, but the Haven folks are even a step closer to perfection. I truly can not think of a single thing I wish had been done for us. An amazing week! Thank you all, especially @Sthrngary for helping us prepare for this week! The pre-concierge letter was followed to the T! Highly recommend that strategy! 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:00 PM, Sthrngary said:

Sthrngary - you started this thread right as I was booking my very first cruise - and booking on the Haven.   So much great information.   So sad that my cruise was literally days before the entire shut down, womp womp!   Anyway, I don't have as many options to cruise as some due to work constraints, but we are booked on the Epic Haven for this summer.   Seems like a lifetime away...lol

Anyway, as I've said before, this thread is a great resource.  Thank you for posting it.

I'm planning to celebrate a major birthday on the Bliss.  In the past, we've bought room decorations for friends.  I just got notice of an upgrade from Balcony to Haven 2 bedroom suite.  Now, I'm thinking of throwing a small party ( 3 couples) in the room. What services will the butler provide?  Do I still need to buy a birthday package, or will my butler decorate as part of the service?  We all have a dining package, but one couple is in a minisuite. Can we all get into, or order from the Haven restaurant?  Can everyone order from their favorite restaurant, or does it all have to come from the same restaurant.  

16 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

Sthrngary - you started this thread right as I was booking my very first cruise - and booking on the Haven.   So much great information.   So sad that my cruise was literally days before the entire shut down, womp womp!   Anyway, I don't have as many options to cruise as some due to work constraints, but we are booked on the Epic Haven for this summer.   Seems like a lifetime away...lol

Anyway, as I've said before, this thread is a great resource.  Thank you for posting it.

My pleasure.  Your cruise will be GREAT.  

Cruise well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fandangocruiser said:

Now, I'm thinking of throwing a small party ( 3 couples) in the room.

This is a good idea.  See the size of the suite before you book the party. 

What services will the butler provide? 

This is the number one question for when folks book the Haven.  Search Butler in Cruise Critic and Google to see the answer to your question.

Do I still need to buy a birthday package, or will my butler decorate as part of the service? 

I just did a birthday party of sorts for my 31 year old daughter.  The did a little decoration and a sign that said Happy Birthday.  If you buy the package, it is nicer.  Mine was complementary from the Haven Butler.  

We all have a dining package, but one couple is in a minisuite. Can we all get into, or order from the Haven restaurant?

You will have to get permission from your the Haven restaurant for your guest and there is a fee.  Your butler can serve it in your suite however there is limit room.  You might want them to join you in the Haven restaurant. Again, you need permission and pay a fee. 

Can everyone order from their favorite restaurant, or does it all have to come from the same restaurant.  

Anything is possible but this is an issue for the butler.  Consider simply for ease of service to do the same restaurant. 

I hope I was helpful.  

Cruise well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This is a good idea.  See the size of the suite before you book the party. 

This is the number one question for when folks book the Haven.  Search Butler in Cruise Critic and Google to see the answer to your question.

I just did a birthday party of sorts for my 31 year old daughter.  The did a little decoration and a sign that said Happy Birthday.  If you buy the package, it is nicer.  Mine was complementary from the Haven Butler.  

You will have to get permission from your the Haven restaurant for your guest and there is a fee.  Your butler can serve it in your suite however there is limit room.  You might want them to join you in the Haven restaurant. Again, you need permission and pay a fee. 

Anything is possible but this is an issue for the butler.  Consider simply for ease of service to do the same restaurant. 

I hope I was helpful.  

Cruise well.

Thank you... very helpful..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelwide said:

We are looking at booking a Haven balcony room on the Joy Deck 15. This is not within the Haven compound. We are used to the MSC YC. How is the butler service when the room is several decks down? Anything else we should be concerned about with this deck?

Butlers rotate their location every few weeks. You might get a great one or a not so great one. Some suites with butler service are all the way aft and as low as deck 9. 

• Like 1