Wind Caribbean dress code

im4it

Sailing the Wind 11/10/19 to the Caribbean for 11 fabulous days.  We have two formal nights on this cruise, but no indicators for other nights. I have read that on  Med cruises jackets are not required on non Formal nights.  Can anyone shed some light about the Caribbean and are other nights informal or casual.  I really don't want to carry a dark suit and a sport coat if not necessary.  We plan on dining in La Terraza and Main dining room.  Thanks for your help  and reply.

Suggest you bring sport coat and tie at minimum.  Maybe the suit would be better, but if you don't want to bring both, one or the other should be sufficient.  We only have one SS cruise experience to Alaska, with a single formal optional night.  I wore sport coat and tie that night and did not feel out of place.  Others were dressed nicer, but I felt no disapproval directed my way.  I did wish I packed a second tie for going out, that's just me.  On informal nights the sport coat or suit jacket is sufficient, tie is optional.  Some restaurants are more casual than others.

We are looking forward to a Caribbean cruise this December on the Shadow.  I hope you have a terrific time on the Wind! 

Since your cruise is coming up pretty fast, I would expect you will soon receive you cruise package. It should clarify what you need to wear. Unless you want to be restricted in where you want to eat and/or drink during the evening, I would suggest men should bring a jacket. Informal on Silversea is a jacket, collared shirt, and long pants for men, with tie optional.

• Like 1

I have never worn more than a jacket and tie on a Caribbean cruise formal night in the past 10 years on any cruise line. I drag my tuxedo to Alaska, Europe, Trans-Atlantic, etc. for formal evenings, but never for hot weather cruises in the Caribbean or South America. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I have never worn more than a jacket and tie on a Caribbean cruise formal night in the past 10 years on any cruise line. I drag my tuxedo to Alaska, Europe, Trans-Atlantic, etc. for formal evenings, but never for hot weather cruises in the Caribbean or South America. 

That was not our experience on Silver Whisper on a 2 week cruise to the Amazon from Barbados last year. On formal nights, the minimum of a dark suit with a tie  and a cocktail dress were expected. Many people dressed to impress.  A tuxedo and gown are never in our luggage when we travel (we never have room for it), so we were dressed to the minimum, and didn't feel out of place.

Our Alaska and Med cruises were on Regent, which has a more casual dress code, and tuxedos are less common. Unfortunately, sneakers, ball caps, jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts are tolerated every night in the dining rooms on Regent Alaska cruises, which is more casual than I like. I suspect quite a few people came back from excursions, went to the bar for cocktails, and then went to the dining room without changing. Those on the Med cruise were better dressed at dinner than on the Alaska cruise.

8 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Good intell - thanks.. 

It will still just be jacket and tie for me. We go from the Caribbean cruise to our winter home in Florida, and I simply do not have room in my luggage or any use in Florida for a suit. I will get some additional use, however, from the jacket. 

A dark jacket and tie look pretty close to a dark suit when you're sitting at a table in the restaurant. Just don't wear jeans or shorts on the way to the table and you should be fine.

We've been Florida residents for over 7 years now, and agree on there being no use for a suit, and rarely for a jacket and tie. Even long pants are rarely needed in South Florida most of the year. Dresses were no longer found in my closet until we started taking cruises a few years ago, but now I often wear one for dining out locally. And we have plenty of options to bring along for our cruises. What we bring in our limited luggage space depends on which cruise line we're on, where we're going, and what we're doing pre or post cruise.

I'm just back from Whisper New York/Montreal -- a rather more formal latitude than South Florida or Caribbean - but was so very disappointed in the lack of respect in observing dress code.   Casual now means baseball caps at lunch in La Terrazza, flip flops everywhere, informal still had men in The Bar and Restaurant with long sleeve polo shirt topped by a short sleeve Hawaiian shirt.  Ye Gods!   And jeans on both men and women.   Awful.

Agree entirely.A sad development of seeing Silversea in this state of affairs.I hope RCC are proud of turning a luxury cruise line we have enjoyed for 23 years into a run of the mill mass market line. RIP Silversea.

New York to Montreal on the Whisper in 2015 numerous passengers whose dress code left a lot to be desired!!

I wonder if it is this route with American professionals on holiday who do not wish to dress up?

There are always a few casually dressed people but on that cruise we were in the minority adhering to the dress code.

20 hours ago, brimary said:

Agree entirely.A sad development of seeing Silversea in this state of affairs.I hope RCC are proud of turning a luxury cruise line we have enjoyed for 23 years into a run of the mill mass market line. RIP Silversea.

Do you really believe that "RCC" dictates (or cares) whether Silversea enforces its published dress code or not? 

This slow, downhill slide has been happening for years on all luxury cruise lines, not just Silversea.  Regent gave up the fight and is now "smart causal" every night and it is just a matter of time until Silversea and the others follow suit I am sorry to say.

Dusa,I don't want to ski off piste here but when the CD does not dress professionally, it sets an example. Not a good one. 

Dont know if you saw it on your cruise. 

In the main the pax were not adhering to the published dress "code" on our cruise. But this is a trend I have noticed for some time.

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

Is the posted notice from Silversea?

Presumably, Silver Spectre was posting from aboard the Cloud expedition cruise. And if I am not mistaken, the expedition cruises are mostly "casual" with a couple of "informal" nights...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ipoh said:

Presumably, Silver Spectre was posting from aboard the Cloud expedition cruise. And if I am not mistaken, the expedition cruises are mostly "casual" with a couple of "informal" nights...

understood about expedition cruises, but this was a classic ship - Whisper -- elegant -- in every way except some pax wardrobe.....

44 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Dusa,I don't want to ski off piste here but when the CD does not dress professionally, it sets an example. Not a good one. 

Dont know if you saw it on your cruise. 

In the main the pax were not adhering to the published dress "code" on our cruise. But this is a trend I have noticed for some time.

Very disappointing.   I spoke to Sivi dining room supv. several times and she agreed - said she would try her best to enforce but in the end - the passenger rules it seems.

8 minutes ago, dusababy said:

Very disappointing.   I spoke to Sivi dining room supv. several times and she agreed - said she would try her best to enforce but in the end - the passenger rules it seems.

Yes it was and is disappointing.

Edited by spinnaker2

Hello, well, I am booked for the Caribbean on The Wind for January:classic_biggrin: and I plan on having a wonderful time.

Hey Spins, will you be home in January? Want to join in on 1/16?