Escargot in the MDR?

AncientWanderer

On 10/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, slidergirl said:

Cheese with escargot???  Really???  I have never had cheese with escargot anywhere I've had them.  Even recipes online do not use cheese ...

I'd be happy to share some of my escargot recipes that include cheese,  most of which I got from the  internet.  While I enjoy the "traditional" French style escargot, I also like those that use Italian cheese such as Parmesan. Let me know if you'd like some of the recipes that use cheese.

Edited by avian777

1 hour ago, avian777 said:

I'd be happy to share some of my escargot recipes that include cheese,  most of which I got from the  internet.  While I enjoy the "traditional" French style escargot, I also like those that use Italian cheese such as Parmesan. Let me know if you'd like some of the recipes that use cheese.

Thank you for the offer.  I don't make escargot at home.  I'll order if If I'm somewhere that has it, but I'm not so wowed by them that I'll make them myself.  

5 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Thank you for the offer.  I don't make escargot at home.  I'll order if If I'm somewhere that has it, but I'm not so wowed by them that I'll make them myself.  

A snail is just a slug without a shell. Baked or broiled oysters are great with Parmesan cheese so would snails, or I mean Slugs. LOL

22 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

A snail is just a slug without a shell. Baked or broiled oysters are great with Parmesan cheese so would snails, or I mean Slugs. LOL

I think you mean that snails are like slugs but WITH a shell...

I'm not terribly into escargot myself, but snails were a popular "elite" food in ancient Rome (the Romans cultivated them). So I just close my eyes and think of Rome. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you mean that snails are like slugs but WITH a shell...

I'm not terribly into escargot myself, but they were a popular "elite" food in ancient Rome (the Romans cultivated them). So I just close my eyes and think of Rome. :classic_biggrin:

So, those photos of the creatures covered in cheese in those cute little ramekins are slugs?? 😉

I'd rather look at some pizza, close my eyes and think of Pizzarium in Rome :classic_biggrin:

20 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Has any one  seen dover sole back on HAL menus?  I MIss  that  very delicious fish

I have not see Dover sole on a MDR menu for some time, but I have had it in Rudi's on the Westerdam and the Nieuw Statendam.  The preparation and service of the fish was excellent!

On 10/25/2019 at 6:09 PM, sail7seas said:

Were they dripping butter ?

image.png.145a631404e3384834a2e7b80d65499b.png

The lobster tails on the Zuiderdam last month were actually quite good (even though I know they were frozen). The butter was on the side and they were sweet enough to eat sans the butter.

I am hoping to have dover sole on my next   HAL cruise.  I can have lobster daily at home if I wish  but I don't really care that much about it.  I prefer mussels and filet fish white in color   ( and  , or,  salmon)  vs. lobster

rimage.png.5990b0741ee8ecb9765e5106a8fbf5ac.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, AncientWanderer said:

I just have to ask, or else I better find the recipe myself...

Does anyone have a recent experience to report about escargot being served in the MDR?  In August, on the Amsterdam, they were not on the menu at all in MDR.  We are just off the Oosterdam, and they were offered, but were not the traditional buttery, cheesy, garlicy wonderfulness that we're used to.

Has anyone had old school HAL escargot recently?   

NO   however Azamara on cruise this year had them on offer nightly 🙂

On 10/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, AncientWanderer said:

I just have to ask, or else I better find the recipe myself...

Does anyone have a recent experience to report about escargot being served in the MDR?  In August, on the Amsterdam, they were not on the menu at all in MDR.  We are just off the Oosterdam, and they were offered, but were not the traditional buttery, cheesy, garlicy wonderfulness that we're used to.

Has anyone had old school HAL escargot recently?   

1 hour ago, Lyndihop said:

Never sailed HAL.  Have a upcoming one next August.

Can I not order escargot nightly?   Previously on a Celebrity ship I could order it nightly??

No, they can’t be ordered nightly.  they are on the menu for certain evenings and available at Sel de Mer.

2 hours ago, Lyndihop said:

Can I not order escargot nightly?   Previously on a Celebrity ship I could order it nightly??

Every cruise line does  things their way.  It is for us  to choose which line    suits us best.  I think it would be  really bad if they were all  the same.  How  much better that  we can choose (  IMO )  

I don't care for es argot, so that would not be an incentive for me  to sail Celebrity,    while it is for others.

I particularly  enjoy HAL's stir fry at lunch in Lido but , of course, not everyone   does.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, Lyndihop said:

On one HAL cruise I was told that if you put in an order for the following night, chef will do it for you.  On another HAL cruise I was told that, no, they are not available.  On a recent cruise, they substituted tiny scallops, as no escargot were available at all.  So as sail7seas said, it can't hurt to ask.

The chances of succesfully asking for something 'off menu   are better if you are at an assigned table with same steward every night

I would hesitate to ask again and again on same cruise,  take it slow

image.png.aac2f0c50b0b2f48fbfe5186188e17d8.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

On the Celebrity Millennium in March 2018 there was escargot on the menu in the "available every night" section of the menu.  I LOVED it.  Was surprised to only see it on one Gala Night on the Westerdam during our March 2019 cruise.  We are back on the Westerdam in March 2020 and I am hoping I can order it more than once during a 14 night cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 2:36 AM, Sidney24 said:

Do you not have a restaurant reasonably near you to  dine  in  and  to order and enjoy escargot near your home?  Surely  there  must be a way for you  to have  escargot  other than on  a cruise ship?  I hope, for your sake, with a little research,  you will find such a restaurant. 

image.png.42c9d3cc6c1c1c085a30bfc4b45dfd9f.png