Escargot in the MDR?

AncientWanderer

I just have to ask, or else I better find the recipe myself...

Does anyone have a recent experience to report about escargot being served in the MDR?  In August, on the Amsterdam, they were not on the menu at all in MDR.  We are just off the Oosterdam, and they were offered, but were not the traditional buttery, cheesy, garlicy wonderfulness that we're used to.

Has anyone had old school HAL escargot recently?   

I believe they were offered on our last Christmas cruise on one of the formal nights.  Yes, it's a hit or miss as you probably already know from your own experience.  My son enjoys them, but I can't bear the thoughts of eating them.  

May I suggest calling Ships Services?  They may know if your cruise will serve them or not.  You can also request to have them.  They may be able to accommodate you.

• Like 1

Yes, escargots have appeared on the MDR menu, but their preparation seems to depend on the Executive Chef in charge.  Some are good; some merely OK.  The best are prepared in Rudi's Sel de Mer regardless whether it is the stand alone restaurant or a pop-up.

42 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I had traditional escargot on the Oosterdam in July, but they were more like escargot "pieces" this time...still good, though!

Karen

Ours served on Oosterdam recently were also quite small.  I had read something about -- believe it or not -- a worldwide snail shortage awhile ago.  Maybe HAL is having trouble sourcing them.  Or maybe they are being cut in half to go farther.

I hope they stick with their old recipe.  They are so delicious that way.  The ones we just had on the Oosterdam had a mustard flavor and more of an oil taste than butter.

Not an earthshaking thing, of course, but I was curious, because they have been a mainstay of formal/gala nights for a long time.

54 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Ours served on Oosterdam recently were also quite small.  I had read something about -- believe it or not -- a worldwide snail shortage awhile ago.  Maybe HAL is having trouble sourcing them.  Or maybe they are being cut in half to go farther.

I hope they stick with their old recipe.  They are so delicious that way.  The ones we just had on the Oosterdam had a mustard flavor and more of an oil taste than butter.

Not an earthshaking thing, of course, but I was curious, because they have been a mainstay of formal/gala nights for a long time.

That is very interesting! Tiny snails on the Oosterdam.  I do look forward to them, much to my DH's distain.  Hopefully we will have them on our Amazon cruise next month.  There are 5 Gala nights so plenty of snail sampling opportunities.

Karen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I just have to ask, or else I better find the recipe myself...

Does anyone have a recent experience to report about escargot being served in the MDR?  In August, on the Amsterdam, they were not on the menu at all in MDR.  We are just off the Oosterdam, and they were offered, but were not the traditional buttery, cheesy, garlicy wonderfulness that we're used to.

Has anyone had old school HAL escargot recently?   

I was on Eurodam Sep 21-28 and we had the old school escargot.  That is if by old school you mean served in the dish with 6 spoon size bowls filled with that awesome drawn butter with garlic and parmesan. They were served on the first gala night and they were wonderful.  

31 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I was on Eurodam Sep 21-28 and we had the old school escargot.  That is if by old school you mean served in the dish with 6 spoon size bowls filled with that awesome drawn butter with garlic and parmesan. They were served on the first gala night and they were wonderful.  

👍 Those are the ones. Yum!!

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

We had them on the Noordam in July and what I saw looked just like what you describe. I passed on them because I have issues at night after eating a lot of garlic.

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I think the first time I ever tried, at least remember trying, escargot was on the Ryndam in 1995.  It was “old school escargot”, they were wonderful, and I was hooked.   While I can get them at one or two local restaurants I really look forward to escargot when I cruise.  I think at one time escargot was more readily available but as memory serves me it’s now usually gala/formal nights if it’s available at all.  Mrs K is not a fan so it’s something that isn’t fixed at home.   

Edited by Randyk47

We had it twice on the Zuiderdam in September but it was not the same recipe as it used to be, sorry to say. It was in the same dish as described above, but just didn't have the same taste.

Edited by mamaofami

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We had it twice on the Zuiderdam in September but it was not the same recipe as it used to be, sorry to say. It was in the same dish as described above, but just didn't have the same taste.

That's how ours was -- same dish, but different taste.  Darn...

It's nice to have things on a cruise that one cannot really do at home.  This month on Oosterdam they served a sweetbread appetizer for gala night.  That is something that would never make its way into my kitchen, but it was actually quite delicious and perfectly done.

16 hours ago, Aquahound said:

DW & I were on the Rotterdam in September on a 14-day Baltic cruise. The escargots (as described above) were served twice. On the second occasion, I ordered two in lieu of an entree. On our Koningsdam cruise of the Caribbean in February, escargot was featured on the menu posted just outside the MDR but, alas, never materialized!

9 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

For a while it was hit or miss if you got them on a gala night -- usually the first gala night.

I do not  care for and won't  eat  all that butter but I think they  were  on the menu  my Zaandam  cruises in May.

There are soo many recipes on line for preparing   escargot.  Easy to make.

• Like 1