Holland America travel insurance

sleepy traveler

4 hours ago, sleepy traveler said:

I have used their policy in past but was interested if anyone found a better coverage

from other companies. Please advise

You might want to read/browse/ask questions on the travel insurance section of CruiseCritic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We strongly recommend calling https://tripinsurancestore.com/ - a travel insurance broker (no extra charge for the traveler).

They offer several policies from a variety of vetted insurers.

But CALL them.  Don't rely only upon the short online summaries of policies; the fine print can really matter.

We have purchased policies through them from Travel Insured, but there may be other policies that better fit your particular needs.

Importantly, Travel Insured has paid several claims of our, including some large ones, and without any nonsense.

(One time, they were a bit slow, although it was when there were lots of claims due to bad weather; our claim wasn't related to that, but I guess it was one of the many claims flooding in.  One extra nice feature of working with TIS was that they made a quick call to TI, and next thing, our claim was processed and approved, and a 5-figure check was en route to us.)

They'll discuss with you the various types of coverage, which can help you get the best coverage for your needs, without paying extra for policies that add coverage that you might not need.

GC

• Like 1

One more question: a while back ( ~3 months) someone posted that the company HAL uses for the Travel insurance part of their platinum changed. 
There was also the thought that the cost of the plan now increases if you wait until the day before final payment to purchase.

Does anyone have any recent experience/ information on this?

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We have an annual travel insurance policy that covers us for all travel, not just cruises.  Runs just over $250 for each person on the policy. Check with TravelGuard.

I had no idea this was even an option.  Learn something new everyday!

Will look into it when we go on several trips a year.

35 minutes ago, mommyz said:

I had no idea this was even an option.  Learn something new everyday!

Will look into it when we go on several trips a year.

We have an annual policy, also.

I'm not sure, but, as far as I know, those types of policies (annual ones) are generally only for medical/evacuation coverage.  I know ours is only that - no trip cancellation/delay coverages.

We just booked an 11 day Panama Canal Cruise for March 2020 and purchased the cruise line insurance at the time of booking because they offer cancel for any reason up to sail date. That was important for family reasons. In checking with other travel insurance companies the rates for cancel for any reason was so much higher. The cruise lines medical coverage is not as much however. We may purchase some additional medical emergency coverage before cruising. Also, the cruise lines insurance doesn’t go up by age. 

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We have an annual policy, also.

I'm not sure, but, as far as I know, those types of policies (annual ones) are generally only for medical/evacuation coverage.  I know ours is only that - no trip cancellation/delay coverages.

You get what you pay for. I have had an annual policy for the last three years. It covers medical/evacuation along with trip cancellation, trip interruption, car rental CDW, lost luggage, and many other items. If you chose a medical/evacuation policy only that is what you will get.

Be an informed consumer before you just buy the HAL offered insurance....I haven't looked at the limits, but you likely want at least $50K of medical and $100k of evacuation insurance.  The cancel any time is a nice option, but would your funds be returned to you (which is what you want) or just applied to another cruise on HAL within a year and if you don't use it, you lose it.

Read whatever policy you consider....they are now actually readable and you can compare them easily on insuremytrip, squaremouth, tripinsurancestore, etc.....   All of them will talk to you and try to help you pick what's right for you....

Don't assume HAL, any other cruise line or TA is offering you the right travel insurance policy.  

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

The cancel any time is a nice option, but would your funds be returned to you (which is what you want) or just applied to another cruise on HAL within a year and if you don't use it, you lose it.

The HAL cancel for any reason clause refunds cash to the holder of the policy. The limit is either 80% (basic policy) or 90% (premium policy) of what is not refunded by the cruise line.