Havana area change

jimbo5544

It’s funny reading some of the posts made since I last responded  yesterday.  Seems like we have a very divisive issue with the Havana area.  I’ve stated that while I’m not a fan of “ship within a ship” ideology, I did take advantage of booking a  room & paying a high premium for that room to have limited access to a few hundred square feet of that ship.  If any anarchists choose to overrun this area, the steakhouse, or any other non-inclusive area of the ship while l am there...more  power to you.  I’ll still be sitting back & enjoying my cruise & will raise my beer in your honor.  Hope you enjoy your cruise equally.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

But I'm 100% certain that you'd complain if they were staying in the Havana area. You would probably go on here and beg Carnival to raise the age limit.

You are 100% wrong.  I rarely comlain about anything, and am not begging Carnival for anything.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, Sigforty said:

I was run out of the pool and hot tubs on at least two occasions during my cruise because of kids.  Some were even with their parents and just being unruly.  At another point during the cruise a kid with an ice cream cone in hand jumped in the pool.

That seems like complaining to me, don't you think?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thesmiths said:

You can't be serious.

When your daughter is 12 years old,  book it!

Just guarantee your daughter will be quiet, a dignified citizen on your vacations. No jumping, laughing, playing, or crying allowed!

Take a read thru all of my postings concerning this topic to get a better understanding of my concerns with the Havana area. Carnival should never exclude families from the best whirlpools or pools on the ship. I should have the option to book in this area if I choose to do so, or provide a reasonable comparative option for my family to enjoy. Obviously, you didn't get my sarcasm in the prior post. Interesting to see in these posts that trouble suddenly starts in the Havana area after 7 during the old rules. As I stated in my earlier posts, the maximum number of people I have seen in this area with us is 5! No unruleness, no rowdy patrons, no individuals complaining. Actually, it has been quite the opposite. Many Havana residents have walked in talking to myself, wife, and daughter and enjoyed our company. I am currently in Miami preparing to board the Horizon tomorrow to the Southern Caribbean. It will be disappointing to not take advantage of a highly under-utilized area that my family and I have enjoyed for the past 4 years!

46 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

Take a read thru all of my postings concerning this topic to get a better understanding of my concerns with the Havana area. Carnival should never exclude families from the best whirlpools or pools on the ship. I should have the option to book in this area if I choose to do so, or provide a reasonable comparative option for my family to enjoy. Obviously, you didn't get my sarcasm in the prior post. Interesting to see in these posts that trouble suddenly starts in the Havana area after 7 during the old rules. As I stated in my earlier posts, the maximum number of people I have seen in this area with us is 5! No unruleness, no rowdy patrons, no individuals complaining. Actually, it has been quite the opposite. Many Havana residents have walked in talking to myself, wife, and daughter and enjoyed our company. I am currently in Miami preparing to board the Horizon tomorrow to the Southern Caribbean. It will be disappointing to not take advantage of a highly under-utilized area that my family and I have enjoyed for the past 4 years!

I did read them all!

Not meant to be taken as harsh: But.

I have no problem when you pay for the area like I do  and your daughter is 12 + as the rules are now.

If you want an area for just the under 12 crowd, they have one, Camp Ocean something or other..

Those that pay for the area, should choose whether it is underutilized or not? Right?

FYI. The view of the stars is better and closer from Deck 10. They have a pool and hot tubs up there as well.

deck10-2018.thumb.gif.9877830ba0728d5bd214291ee993b0f7.gif

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nissach said:

Your issue is the age restriction and I can understand that.  But it is designated as an area for adults and teeangers only.  Once your daughter is 12 you can also enjoy the area.

I think the question should be, "Why was this area with the best whirlpools and pools designated as an exclusive area for adults and children over twelve in the first place?" You are not excluded from booking in the Ocean Suites, Family Harbor area, etc. if your age is 0 to 125. Why should I have to wait until my daughter is twelve to enjoy this area? There is no resort in the world, outside of Adult only venue's, that would exclude me from booking at their facilities as long as I have the financial means to do so. Why is there an exception with Carnival? What about the poor families who are booking a Havana room, then an additional non-Havana room next door for their children? Literally being forced to pay double, and still unable to enjoy the pools and whirlpools with their own children! I think this is utter madness, and not reflective of the family values I have come to enjoy aboard Carnival.

11 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

I did read them all!

Not meant to be taken as harsh: But.

I have no problem when you pay for the area like I do  and your daughter is 12 + as the rules are now.

If you want an area for just the under 12 crowd, they have one, Camp Ocean something or other..

Those that pay for the area, should choose whether it is underutilized or not? Right?

FYI. The view of the stars is better and closer from Deck 10. They have a pool and hot tubs up there as well.

deck10-2018.thumb.gif.9877830ba0728d5bd214291ee993b0f7.gif

I could pay for any area on the ship that I prefer. We should all have the option to book any room we can afford. Your analogy to Camp Ocean and the Havana area is fairly ridiculous. The view is better from wherever I choose it to be.

I really don’t understand the argument. If I don’t pay for time in the SkyZone, I don’t complain about not having access to that part of the ship. If I don’t pay for the chef’s table, I don’t complain about not having access to that part. I don’t have spa passes and am not going to complain about not having access to that area. Carnival at no point says that the price of the ticket includes access to the entire ship. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, oumagic said:

I really don’t understand the argument. If I don’t pay for time in the SkyZone, I don’t complain about not having access to that part of the ship. If I don’t pay for the chef’s table, I don’t complain about not having access to that part. I don’t have spa passes and am not going to complain about not having access to that area. Carnival at no point says that the price of the ticket includes access to the entire ship. 

No complaining, just a discussion. Let me help to make it clearer. You are not excluded from purchasing the Sky Zone, chef's table, or spa because you have a child below the age of twelve. All these options are available to all customers on board the ship. Yet, I cannot book my family within the Havana area, an area that my funds are helping to sustain, because my daughter is under the age of twelve. I am excluded due to age restrictions. On Carnival, the family fun cruise line no less! Oh, the irony...

Edited by Oldskl
Clarification

Well no ne here can do anything about it. Maybe you should post on John Heald’s page and see what he says.

In the meantime, I think most of us understand what you are saying. We just don’t agree with finding it a problem. 

other lines have exclusive areas that you can book with children. NCLs Haven for example. Maybe you should look into that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

Well no ne here can do anything about it. Maybe you should post on John Heald’s page and see what he says.

In the meantime, I think most of us understand what you are saying. We just don’t agree with finding it a problem. 

other lines have exclusive areas that you can book with children. NCLs Haven for example. Maybe you should look into that.

I have discussed this with John Heald and Carnival for several years. Particularly the need for better pool designs and whirlpool areas for all. You don't find it a problem because it doesn't affect you. Not the case with my family. I'm not interested in cruising with NCL. After reviewing the earlier posts suggesting that this change was a positive decision for all involved, I felt the need to offer my different perspective. 

My kids are 10 and 12 currently and we sail many lines. I’ve never been an advocate for the ship within a ship and class system. I’ve never booked any cabin in these areas on any line. It’s obvious that most lines are going this route with private areas and/or pay for passes type entry. I do understand that adults do want a space that is quiet and without screaming little ones. A pool without a kid pooping in it or constantly jumping in from the edge splashing everyone. Heck, even I do. These new ships are huge with plenty of areas to play and relax. The Havana area is relatively small compared to the pay areas on NCL. Now that the April 2022 cruises are available I was able to grab the only Havana Inside for a family of four since both my girls will be over twelve. Normally I wouldn’t book an inside but with the Havana area being right there it seemed unnecessary for anything more. It was only $250 more total than a standard inside. I can see the appeal and I can see the disappointment that some may have but you have to deal with it. You know well ahead of time when booking what is going to be available and off limits on every ship now ..... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

My kids are 10 and 12 currently and we sail many lines. I’ve never been an advocate for the ship within a ship and class system. I’ve never booked any cabin in these areas on any line. It’s obvious that most lines are going this route with private areas and/or pay for passes type entry. I do understand that adults do want a space that is quiet and without screaming little ones. A pool without a kid pooping in it or constantly jumping in from the edge splashing everyone. Heck, even I do. These new ships are huge with plenty of areas to play and relax. The Havana area is relatively small compared to the pay areas on NCL. Now that the April 2022 cruises are available I was able to grab the only Havana Inside for a family of four since both my girls will be over twelve. Normally I wouldn’t book an inside but with the Havana area being right there it seemed unnecessary for anything more. It was only $250 more total than a standard inside. I can see the appeal and I can see the disappointment that some may have but you have to deal with it. You know well ahead of time when booking what is going to be available and off limits on every ship now ..... 

This is why I felt the original rules of allowing additional guests within the area after 7pm worked well for everyone! Havana guests had the pool and deck area most of the day, but others on the ship could benefit in the evening when it was under-utilized. No area should be off limits on any ship due to age restrictions. You don't have to deal with it. Fight for rights that are fair to all. The Havana area has its current rules based on revenue generating, price gouging policies that are subsidized by the entire ship. This policy was also advocated by a small group of individuals who kept changing the rules to their benefit. You can push for a different outcome! Especially if you are a long term Carnival cruiser.

Heading to the Horizon now to the Southern Caribbean. My family and I will enjoy the ship, ports, and restaurants as usual. We just won't be able to enjoy one of our favorite areas on the ship like we have in the past several sailings. Disappointing!

Enjoy your next cruise with your family!

Edited by Oldskl
Clarification

Gotta agree with the masses, we thoroughly enjoyed the Havana area on a Cruise last year. It was nice not having children there running around. I would have had a whole different cruise experience had we not had a Havana room. That being said we are cruising again soon and I wont be able to book a Havana room because we are taking our 3 year old son. Am I mad about it? Absolutely not!  That is a premium area designated for adults. Maybe sometime in the future we will cruise again without our son but until then I leave it for the people who want to enjoy there cruise kids free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

My family and I will enjoy the ship, ports, and restaurants as usual. We just won't be able to enjoy one of our favorite areas on the ship like we have in the past several sailings. Disappointing

If you are still posting about the 2 month old policy change the morning of your cruise then you are certainly setting yourself up for a letdown and taking away from a nice morning In Miami.  Come back after next week & get back on the issue & John Heald’s Facebook.  

Every day of my last cruise there were “issues” that could have ruined it if I allowed: overcrowded pools, kids using the serenity hot tubs, people cutting/pushing in lines for elevators and food areas, port changed due to weather, port hours cut short then to make up  a previously missed port......I did not let these small things reduce my enjoyment & always found alternatives to the crowds.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

The reason the rules Changed was because people abused the privilege.  The Havana area is a flat out home run.  

I agree, we paid the EXTRA money for the Havana area 4 times for the less crowded area and no kids, we have 4 kids and love them dearly and have taken them on many of our trips and have taught them how to act around others, something that's been forgotten these days by many parents.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soonernstlouis said:

If you are still posting about the 2 month old policy change the morning of your cruise then you are certainly setting yourself up for a letdown and taking away from a nice morning In Miami.  Come back after next week & get back on the issue & John Heald’s Facebook.  

Every day of my last cruise there were “issues” that could have ruined it if I allowed: overcrowded pools, kids using the serenity hot tubs, people cutting/pushing in lines for elevators and food areas, port changed due to weather, port hours cut short then to make up  a previously missed port......I did not let these small things reduce my enjoyment & always found alternatives to the crowds.  

As I stated earlier, the trip will be fun and looking forward to it as usual. I will address any concerns I have when I feel the need to do so. Agreed, there are issues with many things but this one can be easily addressed by Carnival. Not sure why I am expected to not voice my concerns, but you are allowed to do so at your leisure. It appears many are defending the exclusivity of this area for their own benefit. As many have stated, not all families are misbehaved, unruly, or inattentive to passenger needs. Why should my family be punished for a few bad apples, a security concern, or other bad parents? All the issues you stated above are being addressed with John Heald and Carnival. I always follow thru with my concerns!

47 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

As I stated earlier, the trip will be fun and looking forward to it as usual. I will address any concerns I have when I feel the need to do so. Agreed, there are issues with many things but this one can be easily addressed by Carnival. Not sure why I am expected to not voice my concerns, but you are allowed to do so at your leisure. It appears many are defending the exclusivity of this area for their own benefit. As many have stated, not all families are misbehaved, unruly, or inattentive to passenger needs. Why should my family be punished for a few bad apples, a security concern, or other bad parents? All the issues you stated above are being addressed with John Heald and Carnival. I always follow thru with my concerns!

Your disappointed, I get that.  Regardless of the timing (whether it should have been done from day one Or when the rule change was made, it is what it is.  It was never designed for the multitudes. It was designed as an exclusive area for guests willing to pay a premium for the experience.  Your not being “punished” for anything, just getting what you paid for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

Why should my family be punished for a few bad apples, a security concern, or other bad parents? All the issues you stated above are being addressed with John Heald and Carnival. I always follow thru with my concerns!

You didn’t pay extra like everyone else has to enter that area, simply put. Maybe the people that did don’t want you or your kids in that area ....ever......since they paid extra . Yes, a few  bad apples spoils a bunch and for that reason alone is why no non Havana guests aren’t  allowed in there now. I don’t want anyone or anyone else’s kids in an area I paid more for ever while I’m there at all no matter what the time. You simply want access to what others have paid for that you have not. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3