Havana area change

jimbo5544

23 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

When we cruised on both Vista and Horizon the Havana pool area was dead every night of the cruise, so it definitely wasn’t a mistake in my book, at least initially. 

My guess Is there are two things going on here. First, over time Carnival has expanded Havana access to more cabins. Second, there have likely been several instances where the Havana area got crowded/rowdy at night like previously mentioned by a poster in this thread. So once again not really a mistake, just Carnival adjusting a rule as they have made changes to Havana area access over time. 

Carnival Cruise Lines should be able to forecast (or at least roughly estimate) how many people will be at their Havana pool area, shouldn't they ?  So many cabins with so many people, age group stats, past spending of repeat customers, etc., should be so many percent.  Obviously, that's not been the case since you describe an empty Havana pool area.  Transforming more cabins into Havana cabins seems the obvious answer.  More profit and a more lively Havana pool area.  I still don't get why they'd let everybody in after 7pm.  It's too great a change to go from a few dozen people to (potentially) hundreds.

17 minutes ago, Schlinger said:

Carnival Cruise Lines should be able to forecast (or at least roughly estimate) how many people will be at their Havana pool area, shouldn't they ?  So many cabins with so many people, age group stats, past spending of repeat customers, etc., should be so many percent.  Obviously, that's not been the case since you describe an empty Havana pool area.  Transforming more cabins into Havana cabins seems the obvious answer.  More profit and a more lively Havana pool area.  I still don't get why they'd let everybody in after 7pm.  It's too great a change to go from a few dozen people to (potentially) hundreds.

Seems obvious to dilute and ruin the experience.   

• Like 1

Here is another thought & someone else can chime in who has spent a lot of time in Havana area after 7pm:

have a lot of kids/teens (over 12 years) gone to that deck and worse have kids under 12 gone that should not?  Unsupervised kids definitely take away from the serenity & likelihood folks would repeat splurging on those cabins.

This doesn't seem like a huge change to me. Why go back there at night anyway? Except to just see what it looks like, I guess and I suspect if you're really curious they'd allow you to take a quick look around early in the morning when it's lightly attended in any event. I had Havana access on my last cruise but my son was 11 not 12 so I almost never used the area. It was good and well done but there's lots of space on the Vista well done-lol. There are so many places on that ship to find some peace and just hang out, especially at night, that no one's really losing anything here. My thought is that the violation of the privacy of the Havana rooms opening onto deck 5 directly probably motivated this. Especially at night if the crowds along that walkway got heavy it could have felt awkward to the occupants to have their curtains open or to even hang out on their decks. From that stand point I think it's a good change for their sakes alone and for the rest of us we really aren't losing anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

Here is another thought & someone else can chime in who has spent a lot of time in Havana area after 7pm:

have a lot of kids/teens (over 12 years) gone to that deck and worse have kids under 12 gone that should not?  Unsupervised kids definitely take away from the serenity & likelihood folks would repeat splurging on those cabins.

Yes, after 7 and especially around 9 or 10, it was the teen chill place but the tides pool is also open but it didn't seem to make a difference. 

• Like 2

I’m really excited about this change. We sail on the Vista on 11/30, in a Havana interior. Now, if they can only change Havana rooms to be 18+ and only give Grand Suite guest access if they are 18+. That would be the best change they could make as far as the Havana access is concerned. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, mrlddst said:

Yes, after 7 and especially around 9 or 10, it was the teen chill place but the tides pool is also open but it didn't seem to make a difference. 

I would hope with this change they actually monitor access to the Havana area instead of

just depending on the access gates to keep non-Havana guests out.  I’m strongly considering my next cruise to be on Horizon booking Havana interior (Western Caribbean) mainly due to having 3 full sea days to relax.  I would never lounge in or around a crowded

pool and would not otherwise book an interior.

@bakersdozen12: I agree.  Family Harbor is intended to keep the cruisers with children aged to tween/teen happy.  Other activities on most ships are for late teens.  Let’s have something for adults & only adults.

Edited by soonernstlouis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

I would hope with this change they actually monitor access to the Havana area instead of

just depending on the access gates to keep non-Havana guests out.  I’m strongly considering my next cruise to be on Horizon booking Havana interior (Western Caribbean) mainly due to having 3 full sea days to relax.  I would never lounge in or around a crowded

pool and would not otherwise book an interior.

@bakersdozen12: I agree.  Family Harbor is intended to keep the cruisers with children aged to tween/teen happy.  Other activities on most ships are for late teens.  Let’s have something for adults & only adults.

They do monitor the doors by the Havana Bar and the pool area. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

Not gonna lie I'm dissapointed in the timing of this. We are going on the Panorama over Christmas and I was planning on checking the area out at least one day to see if I thought it was worth possibly booking a Havana cabin. Now since I'm assuming this will be the same on the Panorama as the Vista and Horizon, I will not be able to. Guess I should have made the effort and checked it out on the Horizon when we sailed on it. 

You should go to guest services and say you want to book the Havana next year. I'm sure they will offer you a tour.

11 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

I think the logic was that after 7pm most people would be eating dinner, going to shows, gambling, but not swimming or sitting in a hot tub. Therefore if there isn't as much demand open it up to everyone to encourage people to utilize it and want to spend time there and at the bar. As I said in my post I wanted to check it out and see if it is worth booking, at this point thats not gonna happen so I probably will never book a Havana cabin. I don't blame them for making it exclusive but I feel like the more things the make exclusive to certain categories the less likely I am to book that ship. Sure they might be able to get away with one pool and set of hot tubs but anything more and I think I will just go to a ship or line where everything is open to enjoy no matter if your in a suite or inside cabin. Not a huge fan of the idea of a ship within a ship, hopefully they don't take it further.  

You are going to have a harder time finding this as time goes on since this is the direction the industry is headed.

4 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

Family Harbor is intended to keep the cruisers with children aged to tween/teen happy.  Other activities on most ships are for late teens.  Let’s have something for adults & only adults.

There is Serenity? Just a bit confused on why you also want Havana to be adults only? Havana is a place where people can pay to have an exclusive retreat. I think closing Havana to non-Havana guests after 7pm will help reduce the number of rowdy party-goers at night.

• Like 2

We loved our Havana corner aft on Vista last December and will be in another one in 48 days!

On our previous sailing there were several nights when the Havana bar was jam packed, but it did not affect our experience 2 floors above.  That access will not change as I understand it.  The bar area is not exclusive.  I did not use the pool area after 7 pm but observing it from our aft balcony, it never seemed crowded during those hours.  It was VERY quiet during the day which was very nice.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarolSW said:

We loved our Havana corner aft on Vista last December and will be in another one in 48 days!

On our previous sailing there were several nights when the Havana bar was jam packed, but it did not affect our experience 2 floors above.  That access will not change as I understand it.  The bar area is not exclusive.  I did not use the pool area after 7 pm but observing it from our aft balcony, it never seemed crowded during those hours.  It was VERY quiet during the day which was very nice.  

The havana bar and entertainment shuts down at 11ish.   

I am absolutely happy to hear about this.   I was hoping that in time it would have changed to being exclusive 24 hours a day.  We paid a lot to just enjoy this perk.  If it’s empty, better for the cleaning crew to keep the pool and spas in pristine condition.  Try swimming in the Tides pool around 6:00 p.m, it’s gross with cloudy water.  I wouldn’t step my toe in that water.  The Havana Bar in the evening is for everyone and I’m fine with that.  

• Like 3

We took advantage of the "open after 7pm" on Vista last August to scope out the Havana area and decide  if we wanted to try it. It looked lovely, with very few people in the pool/bar area. My husband was initially hesitant about the lanai idea, but once he saw it he became a believer. Since I found Vista to be too big and too crowded, this will be our cabin are of choice if we travel on Vista again. I hope that Carnival will have a "behind the Havana" tour for people like us to get a feel for the area. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

it seems to be the trend now, class cruising which it seems to be is now back. Norwegian has it, Celebrity has it, Princess has it on some ships, MSC has it

That’s the first thought that came to mins when I first heard of this.  Makes sense if they want to keep up with the other cruise lines’ “upscale” sailing areas on their ships.

Looking at a Vista Havana sailing next year as a result of this.

Edited by graphicguy

As several of you asked Jimbo to quote his sources, John Heald also announced this today on his FB page...

As you know on Carnival Vista and Carnival Horizon and soon to come on Carnival Panorama we have some very special Havana Cabins and Suites. One of the perks for these higher price rooms is the glorious Havana deck with pool, hot tubs and glorious oversized sun chairs.

This deck was private from 6am to 7:00pm and only guests wearing one of the rotated coloured wrist bands were allowed to use the Havana Deck area.

Then at 7pm the deck and pool was open to everyone

On November 2nd we will change this rule . Access to the Havana Pool will be reserved only for guests occupying Havana accommodations and Grand Suites and wearing the right colour wrist band at all times including evening hours.

Now a fee of you may thing this is a bit harsh but we really do want to make sure our guests who have booked premium Havana staterooms and Grand Suites to be able to fully enjoy the special features that come with Havana accommodations.

The Havana Bar and the brilliant cocktails and Live Music from the Latin Bands is of course open to all guests at all times.

Cheers

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

As several of you asked Jimbo to quote his sources, John Heald also announced this today on his FB page...

The Havana Bar and the brilliant cocktails and Live Music from the Latin Bands is of course open to all guests at all times.

Can someone explain what this means ?  Non Havana cabin customers can still come to the Havana area and have drinks and watch people in the pool or whirlpools but not go there themselves ?!

Just now, Schlinger said:

Can someone explain what this means ?  Non Havana cabin customers can still come to the Havana area and have drinks and watch people in the pool or whirlpools but not go there themselves ?!

There is a bar inside which everyone can use, not the bar outside. 

10 minutes ago, Schlinger said:

Yuup😜

23 minutes ago, Schlinger said:

In case you're not familiar with the layout of the Havana area, if you approach it from inside the ship, there is a bar area and a bunch of seats that you are welcome to use. There are also glass sliding doors from the bar area to the outside, where the outside bar area is, as well as the pool and hot tubs. Without the Havana wrist bands, you can no longer go beyond those sliding doors to the outdoor Havana area.

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

In case you're not familiar with the layout of the Havana area, if you approach it from inside the ship, there is a bar area and a bunch of seats that you are welcome to use. There are also glass sliding doors from the bar area to the outside, where the outside bar area is, as well as the pool and hot tubs. Without the Havana wrist bands, you can no longer go beyond those sliding doors to the outdoor Havana area.

Thanks !  No, I'm not familiar with the area, nor any other area of any cruise ship since I have never been on a cruise ship in my life.  I'm trying to make sense of the wealth of information on here, but not knowing the codes, lingo, layout etc, I'm mainly just erring around.  Thanks again 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Schlinger said:

Thanks !  No, I'm not familiar with the area, nor any other area of any cruise ship since I have never been on a cruise ship in my life.  I'm trying to make sense of the wealth of information on here, but not knowing the codes, lingo, layout etc, I'm mainly just erring around.  Thanks again 🙂 

No problem! I wasn't familiar with the Havana area, even after reading a bunch about it, until I saw it in person on my Vista cruise in June... that's why I thought I'd explain to you what the layout was. In case you needed some clarity about what others were saying, until this change took place Havana was exclusive to those in Havana cabins until 7 PM, when it opened up to anyone on the cruiseship. Now that's changing and no one not in a Havana cabin will be allowed out there.

I hope you have a wonderful time deciding on a cruise, and even more fun cruising!!! Just be prepared to be hooked, once you start cruising!

Edited by Shaded Lady

My understanding from reading this thread is that when you go towards the aft, you reach the area you just described, a bar with doors behind it that gives access to the Havana area for Havana cabins guests.

10 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I hope you have a wonderful time deciding on a cruise, and even more fun cruising!!! Just be prepared to be hooked, once you start cruising!

I already booked a Carnival cruise in a Havana cabin on the Horizon 🙂  I just wasn't aware of the 7pm thing that just got changed, nor the bar - doors - bar layout, so thanks for spelling it out for me 🙂