Havana area change

jimbo5544

28 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

You are not excluded from any of the above if you are willing to pay for it! Not restricted due to any age.

Life is full of age restrictions, this just happens to be one of them. 

Do you complain about your child not being able to go in the Serenity area, which is restricted to 18 +?? 

And if not, why are you OK with that?  There is no extra charge for it, but it is restricted due to age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nissach said:

I believe our cruise on the Panorama in March is also sold out of HE category rooms.  Which tells me people love the idea.

It is definitely a popular option.  There are still some Havana Aft Balconies available but none of the Havana Cabanas.

I will also say that there are age restrictions in so many things.  I have 3 kids and I accept that there are certain things we cannot do as a family.  It is what it is.  That doesn't prevent me from enjoying those things when we go somewhere without the kids.

Also all this class stuff is nonsense.  Nothing is preventing anyone from spending money based on class.  Back in the early 1900's there was a class problem.  People in lower classes were not able to achieve a higher class.  It is still that way in many countries.  I spoke to a cab driver in Budapest and he was so excited that I was from the USA.  It was his dream to move there so he could have opportunities that seemed impossible to achieve in Hungary.  That is why the USA is so amazing because anyone with ambition can accomplish whatever they are capable of.  It might be difficult and they might have obstacles to overcome but it is doable.  I grew up in a small farming town where my parents were very poor.  They pushed and pushed me to do my best and achieve the best.  I am not filthy rich but because of my parents and working hard I am able to book a Havana Cabana.  If it was a class system that would not be possible.

• Like 3

Greetings cruise family. Just arrived in La Romana, and enjoying our Horizon cruise as usual. After reviewing several comments, it appears there is a difference of opinion which is fine. Some want exclusivity with no kids, others want to enjoy their cruise with their family anywhere on the ship. I don't understand the comparison given by many to the Family Harbor area, kids zones, or arcade? You are all allowed to book, pay for, or use these areas without exception. I personally cruise for quiet time, the pools, and whirlpools. I also like to enjoy this with my family. This is why the Havana area is so appealing to me. I am not against an adult only area, Serenity, but I do have issues with excluding my family and I from cabins that I can easily afford. The allowance of additional guests after 7 pm was a fair compromise to me, until my daughter reaches twelve. Looks like many of you have not sailed the flag ships, so you don't realize the Havana area is under-utilized after 6 pm. Attaching a photo to emphasize this point and show each of you what the area looks like nightly on our cruises. This is why I enjoy it so much after 7 pm. No rowdiness, loud crowds, fighting, etc! Noone is complaining, just offering a different perspective to adults only cabins and limiting any individuals experience on Carnival. The family friendly cruise line. We also noticed ample space available on deck 5 forward that would accommodate additional pools and whirlpools familiar to what is available on the Breeze and large enough to do a Havana pool and whirlpool. This area would work well for families to enjoy. Off to the island. Let's appreciate everyone's opinion and offer solutions to Carnival. Our favorite cruise line by far! 😎

20200112_003338.jpg

5 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbGreetings cruise family. Just arrived in La Romana, and enjoying our Horizon cruise as usual. After reviewing several comments, it appears there is a difference of opinion which is fine. Some want exclusivity with no kids, others want to enjoy their cruise with their family anywhere on the ship. I don't understand the comparison given by many to the Family Harbor area, kids zones, or arcade? You are all allowed to book, pay for, or use these areas without exception. I personally cruise for quiet time, the pools, and whirlpools. I also like to enjoy this with my family. This is why the Havimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbana area is so appealing to me. I am not against an adult only area, Serenity, but I do have issues with excluding my family and I from cabins that I can easily afford. The allowance of additional guests after 7 pm was a fair compromise to me, until my daughter reaches twelve. Looks like many of you have not sailed the flag ships, so you don't realize the Havana area is under-utilized after 6 pm. Attaching a photo to emphasize this point and show each of you what the area looks like nightly on our cruises. This is why I enjoy it so much after 7 pm. No rowdiness, loud crowds, fighting, etc! Noone is complaining, just offering a different perspective to adults only cabins and limiting any individuals experience on Carnival. The family friendly cruise line. We also noticed ample space available on deck 5 forward that would accommodate additional pools and whirlpools familiar to what is available on the Breeze and large enough to do a Havana pool and whirlpool. imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbThis area would work well for families to enjoy. Off to imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbthe island. Let's appreciate everyone's opinion and offer solutions to Carnival. Our favorite cruise line by far! 😎

20200112_003338.jpg

If your only issue is the change of the after 7pm rule, then I can sympathize with you. I had no issue with the area opening up to the rest of the ship after 7pm, especially if it looks like that every night.  Love the picture and cannot wait to enjoy the area on our cruise in March!  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nissach said:

Life is full of age restrictions, this just happens to be one of them. 

Do you complain about your child not being able to go in the Serenity area, which is restricted to 18 +?? 

And if not, why are you OK with that?  There is no extra charge for it, but it is restricted due to age.

Because I can't bring my luggage and live in Serenity the entire cruise. No comparison!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, how did we go from a privileged area that some are willing to pay to use to a slippery slope to steerage....ice berg dead ahead...to suggest all of what you say is pure silliness, next  you will not want suites, or balconies. 

You should ask Coevan since he is the one who mentioned steerage. I also never mentioned anything about suites or balconies. I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth or try and tell me what my opinion should be. I don't like the ship within a ship concept that cruise lines are moving to. I think it's ridiculous and unnecessary when luxury cruises already exist. That is not Carnival's market and reducing public spaces while adding more cabins is a disservice to that Carnival market base.

The concept is a step backwards IMO. It inevitably leads to the 'less for more', for the average every-man cruiser that Carnival has successfully targeted/marketed and gained market share of. Privileged cruisers may see it as 'more for more' but there are plenty of lines to serve/cater their needs already where you can be as uppity/secluded as you want or can afford. Why mess up the every-man market by trying to commingle two different products? You just end up with two inferior products. That's just the way I see it. Some may not like my opinion but that doesn't make it any less valid than theirs.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Nice,

More room for me after 6 or 7.

Couldn't say that on the last cruise prior to the changes.

In the past I had to worry about chairhogs, now it is Havana Nomads.

It has been like this on our prior FIVE cruises. Rule change had zero affect. Why we cruise this time of year! 😎

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

On a semi related note, I am NOT impressed with what I have seen with the cabins from Virgin

Jimbo, how about the Rock Star Suite? For us it's not that much about the cabin, as long as it is a balcony. I love the no buffet and tons of restaurants.

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

Jimbo, how about the Rock Star Suite? For us it's not that much about the cabin, as long as it is a balcony. I love the no buffet and tons of restaurants.

I have not done all that much investigation.  I really only saw the commercials, which is what I was basing my disappointment on.

3 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Nice,

More room for me after 6 or 7.

Couldn't say that on the last cruise prior to the changes.

In the past I had to worry about chairhogs, now it is Havana Nomads.

Havana Nomads! If the area was open to everyone, you would still have a limited number of guests utilizing a small portion of the ship. Fair to all. Looks like a personal yacht experience is what you are looking for, not cruising. 

I will say this, on my recent Vista cruise, the Havana area looked exactly like the above picture EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT.  My kids were rooming with others in non-Havana rooms, and so hubs and I went down there after dinner a couple of nights and had the place to ourselves.  

Personally, I don't want kids allowed in the Havana pool area because I don't want MY kids in the Havana area. Your kids don't bother me at all.  I have a pool at home and a hot tub.  I don't have a pool and hot tub minus my children.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 4

I am really completely befuddled that there is so much angst about this.

If you have children under 12 and want to use the Havana area, book a Grand Suite or a Havana inside next to a regular inside and put them in Camp Ocean or Night Owls when you want to use the Havana pool area.  

As for the every man argument, I booked a Panorama sailing where I booked my hubs and I on an inside Havana and kids in a regular inside.  There was about $200 per person difference in the room from Havana inside to regular inside.  That's less than some excursions that only last for a few hours, and this is for a week. The cost of the inside Havana was less than a balcony.  

By comparison, to have 7 inches of extra leg room on an international flight, the cost goes up by $1400.

People already pay extra for perks like suites and "Faster to the Fun" and the Chef's table. 

And comparing a Havana room to a yacht is laughable. For starters, the price difference isn't even slightly comparable.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Oldskl said:

Havana Nomads! If the area was open to everyone, you would still have a limited number of guests utilizing a small portion of the ship. Fair to all. Looks like a personal yacht experience is what you are looking for, not cruising. 

You are persistent, I'll give you that.

I watched Below Deck , too much drama, (sort of like this thread) we would rather have The Carnival Experience. Thank you! Actually the Carnival Havana Experience that we pay extra for.

Be honest, Are you going every night to look down from the Lido Deck to see how many cruisers are utilizing that area that have paid for it? Keeping a tally to report it John?

If so.

Let me know and I'll bring it up to him, He is on the cruise in September we are going on, the Horizon again.

I am sure he will make an appearance in the Havana Area.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, thesmiths said:

You are persistent, I'll give you that.

I watched Below Deck , too much drama, (sort of like this thread) we would rather have The Carnival Experience. Thank you! Actually the Carnival Havana Experience that we pay extra for.

Be honest, Are you going every night to look down from the Lido Deck to see how many cruisers are utilizing that area that have paid for it? Keeping a tally to report it John?

If so.

Let me know and I'll bring it up to him, He is on the cruise in September we are going on, the Horizon again.

I am sure he will make an appearance in the Havana Area.

Preparing to arrive at Curacao and having a wonderful experience. Mike the Cruise Director is even better than his normal greatness!

Appears I am persistent as you my friend. Your cruise experience seems a lot different than mine. Maybe the time of year each of us is cruising? Maybe this is why you are so persistent about not allowing others to enjoy the Havana?

As I stated in many of my prior posts, the Havana area is under-utilized after 6 pm. I don't have to prove this point,  I am on my sixth flag ship cruise, and fourth to the Southern Caribbean. I know what I am talking about. I also enjoy the aft view of the ship at night, the wake, no wind, and refreshments. Therefore my family and I are relaxing on the Lido Deck. Prefer sitting in the whirlpool on the Havana deck instead viewing the stars, especially since noone else is down there, but we are forced too and can adjust. Took one quick picture to assure others what I am talking about.

I won't be talking to John. I live in Champions Gate, Florida and travel to Miami and across the world for business. I meet with and socialize with several Carnival, and other cruise line executives regularly. My concerns will be heard. It would be great when you do see John, to mention my and other families willingness to share this area until our children are older. Looking for fairness for all! Enjoy your next Carnival Cruise, I am DEFINITELY enjoying mine.😎

20 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am really completely befuddled that there is so much angst about this.

If you have children under 12 and want to use the Havana area, book a Grand Suite or a Havana inside next to a regular inside and put them in Camp Ocean or Night Owls when you want to use the Havana pool area.  

As for the every man argument, I booked a Panorama sailing where I booked my hubs and I on an inside Havana and kids in a regular inside.  There was about $200 per person difference in the room from Havana inside to regular inside.  That's less than some excursions that only last for a few hours, and this is for a week. The cost of the inside Havana was less than a balcony.  

By comparison, to have 7 inches of extra leg room on an international flight, the cost goes up by $1400.

People already pay extra for perks like suites and "Faster to the Fun" and the Chef's table. 

And comparing a Havana room to a yacht is laughable. For starters, the price difference isn't even slightly comparable.  

There is no angst, just a discussion my friend.

My daughter just turned six, so we would not put her in a seperate room from us. Many families have younger children and are in the same predicament. Our daughter loves going to Camp Ocean, and does so during the day for a few hours. Both my wife and I travel internationally extensively during the year, so this is our FAMILY time to catch up. While others are at the MDR, enjoying shows, playing at the arcade, or at the bars, we are hanging out at the whirlpool talking while my wife is also reading, and my daughter is pointing up at the stars and moon marveling at its beauty, normally from the warm, quiet, hot tub. I so enjoy seeing the excitement in her face with having the opportunity to spend some quality time with mom and dad. We do all the other things mentioned above constantly for business needs. Not why we cruise!

Many times, my family and I have to travel and live overseas for extended periods of time. I do pay for business or first class, even for my daughter, who is NOT excluded from traveling this way because she is five! Can you see the difference? Also not excluded from booking any hotel or resort we choose.

The yacht experience was a choice for others who appear to not want to be near children at all. A difficult option on a Carnival cruise. Honestly, having my home base in Florida, traveling to Asia, the Philippines, and South America, I am aware of many reasonably priced yachting options. We also have Virgin coming on line soon, so another reasonable choice for an adult only experience.

Carnival is a great value, and wonderful cruise line. Why I am always on it. Let's make it a wonderful experience for all to enjoy! 😎

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

Carnival is a great value, and wonderful cruise line. Why I am always on it. Let's make it a wonderful experience for all to enjoy! 😎

That's exactly what Carnival is trying to do with the Havana. They're providing an experience at a good value that a certain demographic will enjoy while still providing a great experience for families and children. They're creating an experience for all to enjoy.

You're still able to do everything with your family that you  listed you enjoy doing on the Horizon and any other ship in Carnival's fleet. 

• Like 2