Havana area change

jimbo5544

I never have cruised Carnival before but just booked a Havana Cabana room on Vista for Sept. I wanted to give a different perspective. I wouldn’t have booked Carnival if it wasn’t for this room and the exclusive pool area.   We take a vacation without our kids (now 8-16 years old) every year to get a break. My wife and I have been on a RCCL cruise and two Disney Cruises several years ago. I love Cruises and my wife not so much. She doesn’t enjoy the pools or how crowded the lido deck is. After our first few cruises we switched to going to all inclusive resorts (Hyatt Ziva is our favorite) and don’t mind resorts with kids. The reason is she gets a better pool experience. My issue is I missed the adventure of our resort moving from port to port and the better entertainment on cruise ships. When I found the Havana Cabana rooms on Carnival it was easy for her to agree to try it. 

I would venture to say the reason some think it is the “best pool and hot tub area” is because it is exclusive. Even if you come in after 7 I am guessing most of the ship passengers don’t think to go down there so it still is less crowded. 

As far as it being compensated by other paying passengers I disagree. I am paying a LOT more for that room (almost $1k) more than a normal balcony. I think my additional cost increase is what compensates for the exclusive area. 

With all of that said I wouldn’t have a problem if kids were allowed in the area as long as some rules were setup and enforced. For example anyone under the age of 18 required an adult present after 7. That means the parents have to be supervising the kids not in the bar without supervising.  Hearing about teens lying about their age the staff should ask room number and name and verify the age. Every passenger has DOB on file. If enough people on Carnival complained to management if they saw this happening they might do something about it. 

Anyway I can’t wait to try out Carnival and the Havana Cabanas. It relieves me that people won’t be passing by our room as much after reading this post. 

Edited by ummgood
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The reason the rules Changed was because people abused the privilege.  The Havana area is a flat out home run.  

I agree about why the rules were changed as I saw it live from above , and have to say it was a grand slam ( for us) !

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, Oldskl said:

I think the question should be, "Why was this area with the best whirlpools and pools designated as an exclusive area for adults and children over twelve in the first place?" You are not excluded from booking in the Ocean Suites, Family Harbor area, etc. if your age is 0 to 125. Why should I have to wait until my daughter is twelve to enjoy this area? There is no resort in the world, outside of Adult only venue's, that would exclude me from booking at their facilities as long as I have the financial means to do so. Why is there an exception with Carnival? What about the poor families who are booking a Havana room, then an additional non-Havana room next door for their children? Literally being forced to pay double, and still unable to enjoy the pools and whirlpools with their own children! I think this is utter madness, and not reflective of the family values I have come to enjoy aboard Carnival.

I love the age restriction and exclusivity and because of that I booked Havana interior in August. As someone without children, I would like to point out that I subsidize the free babysitting in the kids club but don’t use it myself. The kids club has things such as video games that are no available anywhere else on the ship, but I cannot enjoy them as their is an age restriction at all times in that area. Too bad if I want to play some wii or xbox. I cannot access it even though I’m paying for it. I think the same goes for the arcade (no sure tho). Age works both ways, being too old or too young to access certain areas. Perhaps if serenity was enforced and parents didn’t allow their children in the demand for an area like Havana would not be so strong. Also because of the faults of a few, the many is impacted in everyday life. This isn’t a new concept. 

• Like 6

On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 PM, Oldskl said:

I think the question should be, "Why was this area with the best whirlpools and pools designated as an exclusive area for adults and children over twelve in the first place?" You are not excluded from booking in the Ocean Suites, Family Harbor area, etc. if your age is 0 to 125. Why should I have to wait until my daughter is twelve to enjoy this area? There is no resort in the world, outside of Adult only venue's, that would exclude me from booking at their facilities as long as I have the financial means to do so. Why is there an exception with Carnival? What about the poor families who are booking a Havana room, then an additional non-Havana room next door for their children? Literally being forced to pay double, and still unable to enjoy the pools and whirlpools with their own children! I think this is utter madness, and not reflective of the family values I have come to enjoy aboard Carnival.

I get that you are totally against this.  But Carnival has created this area I am guessing because it is what guests have asked for.  If down the road it ends up being something that does not seem to fit the majority of their passengers or the Havana rooms are not being booked, then they will likely change it.  I personally feel it will it not change in the near future.

No one is being 'forced' to pay double.  It is a choice you have.  If it is too expensive then a family would book a different room.

• Like 1

Eh, the last cruise on the Horizon, we only stepped foot in the Havana Bar once. Never went to the pool area. I can't see paying that much money for a Havana room just to have a pool and hot tubs. But, I'm pale and don't want a tan, so it wouldn't be worth it for me. I think it is nice for them to have the area roped off for the whole time for people who are paying that extra money to enjoy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nissach said:

I get that you are totally against this.  But Carnival has created this area I am guessing because it is what guests have asked for.  If down the road it ends up being something that does not seem to fit the majority of their passengers or the Havana rooms are not being booked, then they will likely change it.  I personally feel it will it not change in the near future.

No one is being 'forced' to pay double.  It is a choice you have.  If it is too expensive then a family would book a different room.

I agree with you and in my case it really helped me book a Carnival cruise when I had no desire to previously.  I am pretty excited about it (maybe unfounded).  Also I will say that the Havana Cabana cabins are completely sold out for our cruise (HE category) and it is months away.  Most of the other room categories I looked at (suites and nice balconies) there was plenty of availability so I believe that it must not be that hard for them to charge the extra 1k over a normal balcony for a HE category room.

I checked out 4 cruises (out of Galveston) and on each of them there were maybe 2 or 3 available HE rooms at the time when the ship had plenty of options otherwise.

We booked over a year in advance to snag one of the only 4 person interior havana rooms (was only $100 more pp than regular interior) for the chance to have a less crowded area. After see the room size I hope we four girls survive this cruise lol.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ellusionz said:

We booked over a year in advance to snag one of the only 4 person interior havana rooms (was only $100 more pp than regular interior) for the chance to have a less crowded area. After see the room size I hope we four girls survive this cruise lol.

That’s exactly what I did .... grabbed the only interior for four. Mine was $250 more for spring break week on the Panorama but to get away from the nutty crowds and have some room to breathe, relax, and drink is well worth that price. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 5:01 AM, Oldskl said:

This is why I felt the original rules of allowing additional guests within the area after 7pm worked well for everyone! Havana guests had the pool and deck area most of the day, but others on the ship could benefit in the evening when it was under-utilized. No area should be off limits on any ship due to age restrictions. You don't have to deal with it. Fight for rights that are fair to all. The Havana area has its current rules based on revenue generating, price gouging policies that are subsidized by the entire ship. This policy was also advocated by a small group of individuals who kept changing the rules to their benefit. You can push for a different outcome! Especially if you are a long term Carnival cruiser.

Heading to the Horizon now to the Southern Caribbean. My family and I will enjoy the ship, ports, and restaurants as usual. We just won't be able to enjoy one of our favorite areas on the ship like we have in the past several sailings. Disappointing!

Enjoy your next cruise with your family!

The only way to do this is vote with your wallet. Folks that book the ship within a ship are voting that they like the class system of past with regard to sailing/cruising. It's much the same when folks book the up-charge restaurants instead of utilizing the included dining options. They are voting that they are OK with paying for food and that it doesn't necessarily have to be included in the fair for the cruise to be a value. How one votes is up to them but I hope the same people are prepared for the unintended consequences. Don't be surprised when you have class ticket access options increase and the included dining options are replaced with more pay options. It's a slippery slope and one day we may have 1st-3rd class tickets with only the deli/water as an included option(s). You get what you vote for and you vote with your wallet. If folks are willing to pay more for less, someone will be there to oblige them. Carnival is not alone in this.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

I didn’t check the price over standard interior at the time of booking but after 3 months since booking the remaining few Havana interior rooms on my October cruise have gone up $100/person & is only $10 less/person than a balcony/person.

Edit for @cruisingguy007

My first Carnival cruise was on a Fantasy class which had NO pay food options other than Captain’s Table.  We enjoyed the cruise despite the limited food selections only because the great ports. I think the ship held 2,000 pax. 

I selected Horizon for my next cruise mainly due to being able to have a semi-private area and try both free and a couple pay food options.  Even though Carnival ships are becoming more & more mega-ships, I prefer small & would have only chose this class in the Havana area.  So yes for at least once I’m swimming on the dark side.

Edited by soonernstlouis

Plenty of things already have multiple class systems. Like international air travel: Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First.  On British Airways, they even have separate seating areas for all four areas.  Different menus, too.  

MSC also already has different classes for different areas of the ship on their newer ships.  Yacht club you get access to everything and private dining and pool and Butler.  You even get preferred seating at shows, private entrance, etc.  They call them "experiences".  You get access to an upgraded area if you get the "aurea" experience (one step down from Yacht Club) that no one but those who do the aurea or yacht club can access.  

Celebrity does something similar with special dining and pool for suites. Next level down is "Blu" with special restaurant. Then concierge level (or maybe this is the same as Blu, can't remember) and then everyone else.

Technically, carnival does it, too. You have on the Mardis Gras the most elite Suites (can't think of their name) that get Loft 19 AND Havana area and a private jacuzzi on their verandah.  Then you have thd other suites, Havana, Spa rooms, etc. which each come with their own amenities.  

• Like 1

Not everyone who is booking the Havana area is doing it for the exclusivity of the pool.  I wanted to try one of the Havana cabins.  Also wanted to try the Havana bar for Cuban drinks/snacks and nighttime Cuban/Latin music, but that area is open to everyone.  We rarely sit around on a pool deck and in 30 odd years of cruising, we've never been in a pool or a jacuzzi on any ship.  I do like that there's a dedicated adult area, but we could get that on the Serenity deck (want to try the salad bar there, I'm sure no children will be complaining about their lack of access to kale).  About four weeks till our first Havana cabin cruise, so I guess I'll know if it's worth it to us for future cruises after that.

4 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The only way to do this is vote with your wallet. Folks that book the ship within a ship are voting that they like the class system of past with regard to sailing/cruising. It's much the same when folks book the up-charge restaurants instead of utilizing the included dining options. They are voting that they are OK with paying for food and that it doesn't necessarily have to be included in the fair for the cruise to be a value. How one votes is up to them but I hope the same people are prepared for the unintended consequences. Don't be surprised when you have class ticket access options increase and the included dining options are replaced with more pay options. It's a slippery slope and one day we may have 1st-3rd class tickets with only the deli/water as an included option(s). You get what you vote for and you vote with your wallet. If folks are willing to pay more for less, someone will be there to oblige them. Carnival is not alone in this.  

Lol, how did we go from a privileged area that some are willing to pay to use to a slippery slope to steerage....ice berg dead ahead...to suggest all of what you say is pure silliness, next  you will not want suites, or balconies. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coevan said:

I don't think you will find steerage cabins any time soon. They are just up scaling the experience for some who can afford and want more privacy. We can't wait to try Virgin next year. 

On a semi related note, I am NOT impressed with what I have seen with the cabins from Virgin

Edited by jimbo5544

18 hours ago, ummgood said:

I agree with you and in my case it really helped me book a Carnival cruise when I had no desire to previously.  I am pretty excited about it (maybe unfounded).  Also I will say that the Havana Cabana cabins are completely sold out for our cruise (HE category) and it is months away.  Most of the other room categories I looked at (suites and nice balconies) there was plenty of availability so I believe that it must not be that hard for them to charge the extra 1k over a normal balcony for a HE category room.

I checked out 4 cruises (out of Galveston) and on each of them there were maybe 2 or 3 available HE rooms at the time when the ship had plenty of options otherwise.

I believe our cruise on the Panorama in March is also sold out of HE category rooms.  Which tells me people love the idea.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

They we be shrinking the product as far as consumers allow.

Nothing will stop them but money - the only feedback they are listening to.

They have closed off a part of public space on an overcrowded ship to allow 200 or so guests to have a separate area for extra $$. Yay! 

How about other 3700 pax?

"Dear Guests, a part of your cruising experience is now cut off as some of our guests are willing to pay more for a separate area".

What do 3700 pax think about this? Did they get OBC or other compensation for the loss?

Were the non-Havana fares reduced accordingly?

Will those 3700 say:"We won't set foot on this ship until this eyesore is removed?"

Some will.

But the cruise line will replace them with those who won't pay attention to this.

Unawareness of neophytes is still working well for cruise lines.

Happy cruising!

There is no loss, because they lost nothing they paid for.... but you were on such a roll.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 5

I really do not understand all this complaining about an area that has one restriction...you must be older than 12 to enter.  People who choose to pay for one of the Havana rooms pay a premium for it.  It is a small area of the ship and I highly doubt it will make all the other areas feel overcrowded.  SMH 🙄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nissach said:

I really do not understand all this complaining about an area that has one restriction...you must be older than 12 to enter.  People who choose to pay for one of the Havana rooms pay a premium for it.  It is a small area of the ship and I highly doubt it will make all the other areas feel overcrowded.  SMH 🙄

I don't get it either. Is it because before they could justify not getting a Havana cabin because they could still enjoy the space after 7pm, and now they since they can't justify it they complain?

What about airlines? People pay a premium for extra leg room or first class. Economy passengers aren't allowed in the front class cabin. 

Amazon Prime? People pay a premium for free 2-day shipping, access to movies, etc.

And for those who don't opt to pay extra for more still get enjoy their flight or Amazon. Carnival isn't doing anything novel.

• Like 4