Inaugural voyage on MSC Grandiosa - storm ahead

welshy74

Boarding MSC Grandiosa on Wednesday for the maiden voyage to the Med.. however that means crossing the Bay Of Biscay where a storm is forecast!!   The forecast is for high seas with possible 30ft waves 😬.  Has anyone been on the sister ships in such storm?  Am I about to have the journey from hell ??  

03A9219F-5863-4A45-9BCA-770E3EBA8DE0.jpeg

Was on the RCI Independence of the Seas several years ago, and experienced severe weather in the Bay of Biscay for 2 days.  Were told it was due to the ocean depth in that area, not unusual to have large waves and big seas.  Didn't really bother us too much, just had to hold on more when moving about the ship.  

Be sure to bring your favorite motion sickness meds-just in case!

Think positive, and have a great time!!

We were on the Bellissima maiden from Southampton, that ship did not handle the seas well, in fact we kept on joking the Captain had forgotten where the button was for the stabilisers because the ship was rolling so much. 
There is a video on YouTube of all the bottles in the Edge bar smashed all over the floor,

we do not get seasick so were  fine .

We have been on Indie in a force 10 going across the BOB , apart from a lot of creaking and groaning of the ship she handled it well.  Pic is from the Indie TV showing the storm. 

7A567D6B-041D-4F87-ADD6-9A38326F1ECD.jpeg

Edited by heatherb1958

Oh that’s freaky.. it will be exactly 10 years to the day of that pic that we sail!! 

Yes have seen that video.  Makes me wonder why they risk sailing through it.. must cost a lot of money in damages.  I will be more than happy for a delayed departure on Wednesday.  

55 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Oh that’s freaky.. it will be exactly 10 years to the day of that pic that we sail!! 

Yes have seen that video.  Makes me wonder why they risk sailing through it.. must cost a lot of money in damages.  I will be more than happy for a delayed departure on Wednesday.  

wow, that is freaky ! 
Grandiosa has had some damage in current strong winds according to social media, a door from Champagne bar to outside deck smashed.

We join the ship  on 5th December when she gets to Barcelona . 

Rumour has it that the ship will not leave Southampton until Thursday as the forecast is so bad!!!   Apparently we will miss Lisbon and arrive into Barcelona a day later than planned.   So I guess it will also go slower than planned too.  

On 11/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, welshy74 said:

Boarding MSC Grandiosa on Wednesday for the maiden voyage to the Med.. however that means crossing the Bay Of Biscay where a storm is forecast!!   The forecast is for high seas with possible 30ft waves 😬.  Has anyone been on the sister ships in such storm?  Am I about to have the journey from hell ??  

I would imagine so, hopefully the ship has been well tested as it will not have sailed in such conditions. Glad it's you, not me! 😁

41 minutes ago, Haworth said:

We have just got back from the Hamburg leg, the decks were closed on Monday because of the high winds, there was some sea swell but the ship barely moved, I would not worry about it.

Whats your review??  

Its official..   the Ship will not leave Southampton til Friday morning!!   So I have two days in Southampton instead of two days in Lisbon.. errr.. yey!   

Oh well..  will just enjoy what the ship has to offer.   

14 minutes ago, Thorny990 said:

Me and my wife are due to sail on this ship

could we get a full refund

Thanks Paul

Only if the cruise line officially cancel the trip. 

If you decide to cancel you will lose your money. 
A changed/ reduced itinerary is disappointing for a lot of people but safety comes first for both guests  and crew .  I feel for those who should have been joining in Lisbon , they    don’t get to see or enjoy the ship at all. 

17 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Only if the cruise line officially cancel the trip. 

If you decide to cancel you will lose your money. 
A changed/ reduced itinerary is disappointing for a lot of people but safety comes first for both guests  and crew .  I feel for those who should have been joining in Lisbon , they    don’t get to see or enjoy the ship at all. 

At least the Lisbon joiners will have a full refund....I must say I'd be raging at having to spend the Lisbon days in Southampton instead, but the small print is always clear in that regard!

Take the days in SH and enjoy.  I just got off the NCL Encore TA, and for whatever reason instead of going south then turning west, we headed right through a deep low pressure system for 2 and a half days.  At the worst we had 49' waves and 60knot winds with higher gusts to 80.  Not much shakes us, however at 2AM at through the worst of it, my DW turned to me and said, she was nervous.  Bow waves were crashing over the bow and splashing all the way up to the windows of the observation lounge (similar to the location of the TSL on Grand).  We were mid ship and mid level (this was not by chance!) and we got a heck of a ride. Talked to a couple who were at very aft and then very forward facing and they said it was terrifying, like an elevator going up and down.

So, if you haven't left yet, go enjoy some great Fish and Chips from Duke of Wellington and a pint at the Titanic Pub, that I'll miss here in the US!

From what I have read on FB the ship will sail Friday at 2 pm and head to Barcelona and there will be no stop in Lisbon and will arrive on the 19th with another stop before BCN. Some people due to sail today and return on the 18th have now cancelled due to the ship arriving a day late to BCN, they received emails around midnight last night informing them! 

Edited by sidari

1 hour ago, CCRuz2019 said:

Someone onboard that can update the information? Because we still not have an oficial information from MSC Cruises about not schedule on Lisbon....Safety first but of course iam sad for not embark Saturday :(

I am on board now.  Itinerary has now been changed and sadly Lisbon has been cancelled as we will now leave Southampton on Friday at 1400. 
Apparently you can cancel the cruise and get a full refund, as long as this is done by 1500 today.  We have choice to stay and enjoy the ship but there are a fair few who have cancelled already.