Does the crew know we've pre-paid gratuities?

dlwolf72

We usually sail Disney, and they have it broken down by who is getting the tip.  We always remove the "Head Server", which on Disney is just a random guy who walks up to you once a night and says "How is everything?".  He doesn't deserve a tip.  But with them, they give you the ability to customize up or down the amounts for each person as you see fit.

My upcoming RCI sailing will only be my second RCI sailing.  Am I understanding correctly that tips on your SeaPass are all or nothing?  And they aren't allocated, just pooled?  I only ask, because often times we find ourselves not going to the MDR, so I wouldn't likely tip that server (unless we actually went).  I wouldn't want to reduce my overall total tip amount, but ensure those actually serving me are the ones getting tipped.

If you can't allocate, then it seems the best way is cash tips (which I generally prefer anyway, feel it is more personal)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, springfire said:

The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

I guess you find their policy clear, I do not.    The way Royal's policy is set up they can give your tips to almost anyone  on  any of  their ships.

They do publish the breakdown. It is also available on board, should you request it and need to see it. We have received it in our cabin as well.

15 minutes ago, Cruisin_n_Boozin said:

Am I understanding correctly that tips on your SeaPass are all or nothing?  And they aren't allocated, just pooled?  I only ask, because often times we find ourselves not going to the MDR, so I wouldn't likely tip that server (unless we actually went).  I wouldn't want to reduce my overall total tip amount, but ensure those actually serving me are the ones getting tipped.

You are not understanding correctly. The total grats are allocated accordingly (they will provide this to you should you request it). As for whether to remove partial grats, I am not sure about that as we always leave them on and don't stiff anyone. We tip cash extra to our room steward, wait staff and bartenders. However, those are also split among those on their shift/team. For example, if you get $50 to one bar tender at the end of your cruise, they split that among the team members that work their shift with them, whether they have served you or not. Just like here in the states at any restaurant.

32 minutes ago, springfire said:

The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

I guess you find their policy clear, I do not.    The way Royal's policy is set up they can give your tips to almost anyone  on  any of  their ships.

They used to give a clear breakdown of how much each crew member got from the daily auto-gratuities. And they only listed four: Stateroom attendant, Head Waiter, Waiter and Assistant Waiter.  That info seems more difficult to find now.

They way it's worded now is pretty much everybody on the hotel and dining staff.

Interesting that the bar staff is listed as part of the shared daily auto gratuities tip pool. I guess that's in addition to the 18% tip they charge when I order from the bar?

• Like 2

I've worked service.  I tipped out bar backs, bussers, sous, lines, etc. when it was appropriate.  They made more than me but they could also make or break my night.  Also, I am pretty sure the ship staff knows who is doing what they're supposed to and who is slacking off.  Not my business.  I give cash to the people who directly affected me and my vacay.  I don't care what they do with their tips after I give them.  It's their business.  Not trying to police the world.  I just give to those who I feel deserve it.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lovemylab said:

Prepaid gratuities were an option before MTD started.   The preference for auto gratuities has nothing to with "making sure people sleep at night" and more to do with convenince.   I don't miss the old days of spending the last night of my cruise running around with envelopes to give to the room stewards and main dining room staff.   

The auto gratuity is $14/day split between several members of the crew.   I would have to receive pretty crappy service to not pay this.  

Better word choice would be that they started marketing 'tips' in a different way. It used to be for a certain few people and now it's basically for everyone. You don't see them? Guess what they depend on your tips to get paid. 

No one is saying don't tip, but people who want to tip as they see fit are usually subjected to ridiculous arguments such as you aren't tipping the laundry people and prep cooks. 

You don't even have to tip. I don't see why people love to jump all over people who want to tip as they see fit.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

No they're not. It includes some people we know as well as a lot of people we never see. 

Actually, they have changed how they "publicize" it as you used to find it on their website. However, we received a breakdown in our cabin and you can also find it at the guest relations counter as well. They do make it clear how it is allocated. Just ask.

1 minute ago, MrsKC08 said:

Actually, they have changed how they "publicize" it as you used to find it on their website. However, we received a breakdown in our cabin and you can also find it at the guest relations counter as well. They do make it clear how it is allocated. Just ask.

It's still there:  As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

Just now, marci22 said:

It's still there:  As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

And I'm saying that they had the amounts broken out to what each department received.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrsKC08 said:

And I'm saying that they had the amounts broken out to what each department received.

What do you think  'other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes' means? It's basically everyone on the ship you don't see. It tells you nothing.

• Like 4

Summary: you can prepay tips, you can have auto grats debited daily onboard, you can remove auto grats onboard and tip the way you like, you can remove auto grats onboard and not tip. All of these things are allowed by Royal Caribbean.

Most of the crew will give great service whatever you do. A small amount of crew will not be that great at their jobs, whatever you do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ladybug.2009 said:

So consumers should treat workers on cruises the same as in restaurants, taxis, etc. and tip based on service received, and NOT because of guilt laid on so thickly by CC posters or general public!

If we were to treat workers on a cruise the same as in restaurants, taxis, etc. we should all be tipping more than the $14 a day the cruiseline suggests.

Several restaurants in my city automatically add a gratuity when a large group is dining.  Hotels/banquet halls all add a gratuity to catered meals.  I've dined at numerous restaurants around the world where a tip was automatically added to the bill.   Auto gratutities are not exclusive to just cruiselines.

• Like 1

My daughter works at Applebees as a hostess - she makes a lower wage but she gets a portion of the tips that are given to the servers.  The dishwashers are paid higher and they do not get a portion.

I have no qualms about giving the set amount for gratuity I do however, have issue with the people that say they want to remove them and then don't tip at all.

Why is this such a big issue!  I just add that into the cost of the cruise, I work a 2nd job to just pay for the cruises I go on so I'm certainly not wealthy.

When you think about it what we are asked to pay for gratuity really isn't that much at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

YES!  The information on the website clearly broke down the gratuity (i.e. $3.25 to the waiter, $2.75 to the assistant waiter, etc).  

This information was also printed on several documents that were in the cabin and used as a suggested guideline for those tipping by cash.  

• Like 2

I like good service.  I appreciate hard work.  I am happy to pay for both.  It enhances my vacay.  That's probs not the case for everyone and guess what... that's OK.  I am not mad when my drink is waiting for me and "you're" still waiting in line...  

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Can anyone here definitively say if the gratuity is a core part of the staffs pay or a bonus for exceptional service?

The answer to that casts a different light on the issue and potentially the morals of the RC business model. 

No one can say and that goes back to my original post; we are all in the dark and no one knows for sure. I for one choose not to throw cash into a black hole.  

I do, however, make sure my servers and attendants are taken care of in the same manner in which I am taken care of. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Can anyone here definitively say if the gratuity is a core part of the staffs pay or a bonus for exceptional service?

The answer to that casts a different light on the issue and potentially the morals of the RC business model. 

think it depends upon their position. See "Hello I'm a crew member" Some get zero other a greater percentage of their salary. All cruise ship members get a base salary. 

Edited by Tulsacoker

22 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

think it depends upon their position. See "Hello I'm a crew member" Some get zero other a greater percentage of their salary. All cruise ship members get a base salary. 

If the base salary is fair then the criteria for gratuities should be exceptional service. 
I don’t work in the service industry but, like the vast majority of people, I get paid to perform a job. However my bonus is based on achieving targets which are above and beyond the norm. This is where prepaying gratuities doesn’t seem right to me. 
That said I don’t judge people on what they decide to do. It’s a cultural thing and we have lots of different nationalities here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The way it was explained to me, the company assumes the crew member has received at least the standard tip, and the crew member has to jump through a few hoops to certify to the company that they received no tip or less than the standard tip. 

So these folks that remove grats are doing more than just cheating the staff but essentially punishing them.

• Like 4