Favorite cruise song ?

George C

On 9/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, George C said:

First time I ver walked out of a concert while they were playing was 1968 I believe seeing Procal Harum in the Fillmore East in 1968 previous bands were great . 

Hopeful not until after they played," A Whiter Shade Of Pale". 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Hopeful not until after they played," A Whiter Shade Of Pale". 

Yes did here that one , great song . Wish I had went to more concerts at Fillmore East. It was only open a few years and I was in the army for half of them.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, George C said:

First time I ver walked out of a concert while they were playing was 1968 I believe seeing Procal Harum in the Fillmore East in 1968 previous bands were great . 

I love Procul Harum .I never saw anyone walk out of a concert at the Fillmore .I was there many times.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:17 PM, George C said:

Yes did here that one , great song . Wish I had went to more concerts at Fillmore East. It was only open a few years and I was in the army for half of them.

The Fillmore East opened in 1968 and closed in 1971.I have no idea how many concerts I went to there.In 1970 my wife and I went to the Fillmore West.She took a picture of me standing outside.

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You need the Love Train for dancing 😀  (Love the O'Jays)

Just listened to it.  OK, yes, it would get me out of my seat and dancing.  

The one that really gets me on the floor is Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, davekathy said:

No disco and especially Village People, YMCA!! 🤬👎👎

Oh boy, I couldn't agree with you more about YMCA.  That is worn out.   But disco, might be OK.   I'm hitting 70 this year.  "Stayin' Alive" is appealing.   😆

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

But disco, might be OK.   I'm hitting 70 this year.  "Stayin' Alive" is appealing.

The more senior one becomes, the more Stayin' Alive does appeal.  

What's wrong with YMCA?  It's a fun song!  Of course, I can't remember the details, but I recall that someone wrote some different lyrics for this song and it made the song even more fun!  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What's wrong with YMCA?  It's a fun song!  Of course, I can't remember the details, but I recall that someone wrote some different lyrics for this song and it made the song even more fun!  

I admit it is a fun song.  If a vote were taken for best party song, it would probably be in the running.   Personally, I can't give a reason but am just kind of over it.  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Nothing wring with song, other than it’s not a cruise song, but there was a sailor 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Speaking only for myself, the Village People never put out a song worth listening to including YMCA. But I don't like the majority of disco songs anyway. But to each their own. It's RC's go to song for 70's night and apparently it works for them due to crowd participation. 👎

On 9/11/2021 at 1:03 PM, ldubs said:

Oh boy, I couldn't agree with you more about YMCA.  That is worn out.   But disco, might be OK.   I'm hitting 70 this year.  "Stayin' Alive" is appealing.   😆

Even though I never liked disco I have to admit that I liked Stayin Alive ,possibly because the movie Saturday Night Fever took place and was filmed in an area I hung out in although years earlier.

To me YMCA is a form of torture.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Even though I never liked disco I have to admit that I liked Stayin Alive ,possibly because the movie Saturday Night Fever took place and was filmed in an area I hung out in although years earlier.

To me YMCA is a form of torture.

I even liked the movie Saturday Night Fever. For me the movies storyline was a lot more than just about disco. My wife loved the movie and has it on DVD. I prefer pre disco Bee Gees. 

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I even liked the movie Saturday Night Fever. For me it was a lot more than about disco. My wife loved the movie and has it on DVD. I prefer pre disco Bee Gees. 

I prefer pre disco Bee Gees also.Saturday Night Fever was filmed in the Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst sections of Brooklyn,areas that were unique to any other part of NYC.I hung out in both areas in the early to mid 60’s.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Speaking only for myself, the Village People never put out a song worth listening to including YMCA. But I don't like the majority of disco songs anyway. But to each their own. It's RC's go to song for 70's night and apparently it works for them due to crowd participation. 👎

It's the participation "angle" that makes the song so attractive to many of us.  It's New Year's Eve.  I am dressed in my tux.  I am a solo.  The band plays YMCA or I Will Survive.  I get on the dance floor as a solo.  The odd stares that I have noticed by some others, particularly other senior male solos, were hard to ignore.  I was enjoying myself.  And, I have found female dancing partners from time to time joining me because their husbands did not dance.  

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Another song that you could not pay me enough to listen to .

Anything Beach Boys is good listening to me when I am in the mood for such.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

It's the participation "angle" that makes the song so attractive to many of us. 

Beats me. As long as you like the songs and they help you "shake your groove thing" (Peaches and Herb) and you're having a great time, that's all that matters. ✌️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

As one who enjoys Holland America Line, the cruise song that will always stick in my mind is the one sung by the crew at the Farewell Show, "Love in Any Language".  Sadly, it is no longer performed.  

That song brought tears to many eyes.  And, particularly when a long voyage was coming to an end.