Time Zone on ship compared to port

beshears

We plan to stop at Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, and they are 1 hour ahead of us that live in the Central Time Zone.  How do we know what time zone the ship will be going by? In other words, will the ship be going by the "ships" time zone, or where the ship has stopped time zone?

The ship will stay on 'ship time' (= home port time) for those ports. If you're sailing from Galveston it will stay on central time... if Florida, eastern.

I learned recently that some of the cruises out of California sometimes change ship time, but mostly that only occurs on TA or Hawaiian cruises.

• Like 1

We were just on Legend out of Tampa.  Two of our ports, Belize and Roatan, were an hour behind ship time (which was same as homeport, Tampa, time).  Ship time never changed... it stayed the same as Tampa time the entire cruise.  And our departure/arrival times were always based on ship time/homeport time.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 8:42 AM, Shaded Lady said:

The ship will stay on 'ship time' (= home port time) for those ports. If you're sailing from Galveston it will stay on central time... if Florida, eastern.

I learned recently that some of the cruises out of California sometimes change ship time, but mostly that only occurs on TA or Hawaiian cruises.

Our CA cruises have time changes when the ship would be two hours off of port time.  Usually no change for Cabo, but skip an hour for PV.  

Time changes will be posted in the Fun Times.  Miracle also posted time change signs on the elevators.  Splendor didn't.  Same route, different Captains.

In Cozumel last month my phone changed to Cozumel time but hubby's stayed on ship time. I decided to go with the earlier time so as not to miss the ship!!! Needless to say we got back an hour earlier than needed but it was ok. I'd rather be back to the ship early than LATE!!!!

On a recent cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore the ship did change time to one hour ahead to be on Bermuda time.  They did however make several announcements, so that you were aware what time it was.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, beshears said:

We plan to stop at Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, and they are 1 hour ahead of us that live in the Central Time Zone.  How do we know what time zone the ship will be going by? In other words, will the ship be going by the "ships" time zone, or where the ship has stopped time zone?

You always go by ships time in any port. Ships time is home ports time. The time will remain the same or change depending on what the captain wants. Always be aware when you leave the ship.

Ship time is the one you need to keep in mind, because that is what the ship will depart by.  There a numerous reminders of ship time and the time you have to be back on ship (Announcements, Fun times. Written port information flier, , and it is usually prominently displayed at the debarkation location). Take an anolog watch set to ship time  with you - smart devices often automatically change times to match your location.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, beshears said:

What I have seen if the time change is 1 hour from home port time the ship stays on ship's time. If the change is 2 or more hours then the ship will adjust to make things simpler.