RCL in the Rain (in the Caribbean, in Winter) - what to expect??

So the RCL APP shows rain for 6 of 7 days of my cruise (starts this Sunday), and I have questions!

Do the ships change their Cruise Compass strategy for raining days?  (Will be on HOTS, if that means anything.)  Do they try to add some additional inside activities to help distribute guests (who might otherwise be in the pools)?

I assume Winter rain in the Caribbean is very different than Summer rain (in terms of duration) - longer duration?? but less intense??

I also assume that Excursions generally still take place (unless there are high winds or lightning) - would this be an accurate statement?

Finally, please share any tips you might have for Winter Rain... (FYI - 3 generation family - Grandparents, Mom, Teen daughter)

Thanks very much! 

Stop worrying.  It may or may not rain.  If it does it might not be for long.

Enjoy your trip, and STOP LOOKING AT WEATHER FORECASTS.  It is what it is:classic_tongue:

We've been sailing the Caribbean for 15+ years in the winter and have never once looked at a weather forecast.  It will be 80 degrees or warmer, relax mon.

Edited by bouhunter

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The app might be good for certain things, but I certainly would not use for the weather forecast.

Yes, very true!  I have also checked the actual weather forecasts for each locale (and the weather forecasts all indicate a lot of rain next week, except for the day we're at Costa Maya).  

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

And rain often means just for a few minutes.  I wouldn't worry.

Thanks!  I knew that was true for the Caribbean in Spring/Summer, but I did not realize that was ALSO the case for Winter - glad to hear it!! 

Don’t even look at the weather forecast. If anything look at the Caribbean satellite images and look for any major fronts. I would say 9/10 of our rainy day forecasts in the Caribbean have never happened and some of our completely sunny forecasts have been cloudy. 

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

Relax and enjoy your trip, and STOP LOOKING AT WEATHER FORECASTS.  It is what it is:classic_tongue:

Well, I am a PLANNER (all caps)!!  I am strange and probably enjoy planning vacations as much as the vacations themselves!!

My primary goal is to make sure my family has the right expectations (and that I can pack accordingly).  For example, if we will be inside for a period of time, I might want to pack a few of our favorite board games.  And since we're going on the Amazing Race excursion, then maybe I might pack an umbrella (my my daughter is less grumpy).  (You see, I'm just a crazy planner!!) 

9 minutes ago, gumbocc1009 said:

Well, I am a PLANNER (all caps)!!  I am strange and probably enjoy planning vacations as much as the vacations themselves!!

My primary goal is to make sure my family has the right expectations (and that I can pack accordingly).  For example, if we will be inside for a period of time, I might want to pack a few of our favorite board games.  And since we're going on the Amazing Race excursion, then maybe I might pack an umbrella (my my daughter is less grumpy).  (You see, I'm just a crazy planner!!) 

No you're not strange - we plan a lot too.  Sure take some umbrella's and board games if you want.  Remember much of Harmony is indoors anyway.  If it rains, it's still warm rain and everyone will dry off sooner or later.  We did the Blue Hole river/waterfall tour in Jamaica once in the pouring rain.  Nothing but good memories:classic_tongue:

But I stand by my statement - Stop looking at weather forecasts.  What's the point really?

Edited by bouhunter

26 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Stop worrying.  It may or may not rain.  If it does it might not be for long.

Enjoy your trip, and STOP LOOKING AT WEATHER FORECASTS.  It is what it is:classic_tongue:

We've been sailing the Caribbean for 15+ years in the winter and have never once looked at a weather forecast.  It will be 80 degrees or warmer, relax mon.

I worry too.  We are sailing Western out of Miami in January.  I'm coming from Jersey so it will be 10 degrees when we leave I'm sure.  I'm worried about what to pack.  Will the boat be cold at night?  Will we need hoodies?  

5 minutes ago, Anna0513 said:

I worry too.  We are sailing Western out of Miami in January.  I'm coming from Jersey so it will be 10 degrees when we leave I'm sure.  I'm worried about what to pack.  Will the boat be cold at night?  Will we need hoodies?  

Yes, my packing has changed a wee bit this past week!  I decided to bring one pair of sweats and one warm, cozie top (just in case)!!  

1 minute ago, Anna0513 said:

Sure South Florida might be cool in January.  Or might not.  Pack accordingly.  Once in the Caribbean it will be in the 80's.  Check ANY Caribbean island weather averages on google - it's in the 80's year round.  There is no reason whatsoever to "worry" about weather on a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumbocc1009 said:

Finally, please share any tips you might have for Winter Rain... (FYI - 3 generation family - Grandparents, Mom, Teen daughter)

Thanks very much! 

Drink Up (except teen daughter)🍺🍺🥂  think beverage package

Edited by molly361
  • Haha 1

As has been said, throw in some lightweight plastic ponchos in case the rain extends more than just a few minutes.  Easier to manage than umbrellas.  However, you will want to quickly take off the ponchos as they will trap heat.  Doesn't matter what time of year...the Caribbean will range from warm to hot.

I'm going to disagree with a lot of folks on this thread and say it can be quite cool in the Caribbean. I have been in Couzmel when an El Norte came thru and it was quite cool, if fact The lowest recorded temperature in Cozumel is 43.0°F (6.1°C), which was recorded in February. 

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather-summary.php3?s=84667&cityname=Cozumel%2C+Quintana+Roo%2C+Mexico&units=metric

Edited by FLACRUISER99
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

As has been said, throw in some lightweight plastic ponchos in case the rain extends more than just a few minutes.  Easier to manage than umbrellas.  However, you will want to quickly take off the ponchos as they will trap heat.  Doesn't matter what time of year...the Caribbean will range from warm to hot.

Thanks, good idea!  I'll add some ponchos (and perhaps a baseball cap or similar).

I just returned from a 4-day cruise to Cozumel, out of Galveston. On Day 3 (at port), it did rain. I had contacted the owner of the deep sea fishing excursion boat we had chartered, and she said they go in rain or shine, unless the port is closed. So we went, and we did get rained on - even while I was snorkeling along the beach. It wasn't cold, but had we been more inland, I would have definitely wanted a rain poncho or light jacket. 
On Day 4, at sea, the weather was cooler and mostly cloudy, and the seas were choppy. Most passengers stayed under cover although a significant number of people were in their cabins due to sea sickness. 

It does make a difference on Oasis Class ships.  Those ships are warm/sunny weather ships. When it rains not only does the pool deck clear out but also Central Park,  Boardwalk, and cancelled shows in the Aqua Theater. A whole lot of people move indoors. As others have said, rain in Caribbean can be over in a mater of minutes. happy cruising.  

Just came back from our cruise(s) in the Caribbean...everyday the forecast was "Sunny, with a chance of rain".

We thought it was a joke...until we started reading the forecast, front page of the Daily Compass...sure enough, it read the same thing everyday..."Sunny, with a chance of rain". 

Note: It was accurate.  Most ports we visited, it was sunny then it rained, then sunny again.  If I remember correctly, we had rain in St. Maarten, Barbados, Curacao, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Antigua...mostly warm rain...glad we had our umbrella.