January 4th to Antarctica

petlover

Although I'm not a regular poster on this forum ; I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will be cruising with us on January 4th Silver Cloud. My DH Tom and I have cruised with RachelG and George  and others before ...and looking forward to meeting jpalbny,  Stumblefoot, briar14 and others on this cruise. This will be our 2nd time to South Georgia and Antarctica (previously on the Silver Explorer).  RachelG and I use the same TA.

Please stop and introduce yourselves.

I'm 5'2", short curly blonde  hair enjoying a Cosmo before dinner, red wine with dinner and always a Sambuca after dinner. My DH Tom was born and raised in NYC and in his spare time may be in the gym. (you'll never see me there). 

It won't be long now ! We leave from LAX on Jan 1st (connect in Houston) and at the Mandarin Oriental for 2 nights.

Happy 2020 to All. 

Edited by petlover
  • Like 3

See you there! It's unlikely that you'll find us in the gym either... We might be doing laps out on the deck unless the wind is too crazy.

We will be in the bar with G&T or wine before dinner.

We will also arrive at the MO on 1/2. We have some tours planned with a private guide who we know from past trips. 

Really excited that after 2+ years, this is now so close to reality.

• Like 3

We arrive on the 1st in Santiago at the MO and have planned 2 days of private tours. I may be in the gym on occasion exercising a new knee. So excited, I now have 2 good knees! We look forward to meeting everyone and having this wonderful adventure—a first for us. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to meeting you and your DH too, Petlover, as well as the other good folks joining us on this voyage.  As a party of three, we’ll stick out like a sore thumb as we’ll be celebrating Silver Princess‘s 21st birthday.

I will most likely be in the gym with your hubs working on my back.  I screwed it up royally right before Christmas walking 1/2-hour up an 8% grade.  Between muscle spasm medication and a daily hour long stretching regimen, I’ve been able to relieve the acute pain.  But, I’ve still got a ways to go to stand up straight.  As you can imagine, I’m rather aggravated with myself.

We fly to Buenos Aires and land New Year’s Eve day.  Will head to Santiago during the night on Jan 2 and spend a good portion of Jan 3 in the Museum of Memory and Human Rights.

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Looking forward to meeting you and your DH too, Petlover, as well as the other good folks joining us on this voyage.  As a party of three, we’ll stick out like a sore thumb as we’ll be celebrating Silver Princess‘s 21st birthday.

I will most likely be in the gym with your hubs working on my back.  I screwed it up royally right before Christmas walking 1/2-hour up an 8% grade.  Between muscle spasm medication and a daily hour long stretching regimen, I’ve been able to relieve the acute pain.  But, I’ve still got a ways to go to stand up straight.  As you can imagine, I’m rather aggravated with myself.

We fly to Buenos Aires and land New Year’s Eve day.  Will head to Santiago during the night on Jan 2 and spend a good portion of Jan 3 in the Museum of Memory and Human Rights.

Sorry about your injury but one good thing you  will have no problems getting a supply of ICE paks,Lu says hope you get to slide down a berg but getting there might be rough but in any event  have a great family moment and do not forget the VICKS

26 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Sorry about your injury but one good thing you  will have no problems getting a supply of ICE paks,Lu says hope you get to slide down a berg but getting there might be rough but in any event  have a great family moment and do not forget the VICKS

Haha Gene!  Nothing quite like fresh ice.  And, the VICKS is packed!

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Oh Stumbles, sorry to hear this. That sounds decidedly unpleasant! I hope it's feeling better in time for the long flight down to BA. Once we are on board things will be better, I hope. See you soon, and hope it doesn't last much longer.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Well, that's pretty cool! 

I'm going to be very interested to hear both of your tornado tales as I know you're about right smack dab in the middle of tornado country.

Well we have plenty of tales to tell!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Packed and ready to go!

We went with extra luggage this trip. Two rollaboard suitcases with nicer evening clothes, and a duffel full of cold weather stuff and boots, plus our carry-on backpacks with clothes for Santiago. 

20191230_203205.thumb.jpg.edac9da1a1735558da3dd90f3e04ab66.jpg

Chris's vintage SS expedition backpack is on the left. Didn't think we'd use the safari duffel bag again, but this was a good opportunity. The parkas should fit in there on the way back.

Now, to make it through work tomorrow... Happy New Year's Eve (almost) to all, and see you soon!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Packed and ready to go!

We went with extra luggage this trip. Two rollaboard suitcases with nicer evening clothes, and a duffel full of cold weather stuff and boots, plus our carry-on backpacks with clothes for Santiago. 

20191230_203205.thumb.jpg.edac9da1a1735558da3dd90f3e04ab66.jpg

Chris's vintage SS expedition backpack is on the left. Didn't think we'd use the safari duffel bag again, but this was a good opportunity. The parkas should fit in there on the way back.

Now, to make it through work tomorrow... Happy New Year's Eve (almost) to all, and see you soon!

Feeling better about my packing! We have tried various options and settled on 2 rather large cases, but all fits! We are so excited about this trip and leave tomorrow from Charlotte. Looking forward to meeting everyone! 

Edited by briar14

7 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And finally JP takes more luggage!

Yes! Even though we went all carry-on for our Iceland trip in August, with our boots in tow, we decided that it wasn't worth the hassle this time. Two reasons: We have a 5-hour layover in Atlanta, and who wants to lug rollaboards around for the whole time? Second, though our suitcases were fine going to Iceland, we accumulated two big parkas and a bottle of wine which made packing for the way home really challenging.

We didn't really need to bring more clothes per se because we have free laundry, but since we decided to go with an extra bag we did bring a few more items than we ordinarily would have. Chris brought a few nicer dresses for evening and I brought an extra tie. 😁 And importantly, there is plenty of room now for my 170-400 mm zoom lens - that thing is bulky!

Looks like the Stumblefeet are a few hours away from EZE at the moment. Will keep an eye on them.

Screenshot_20191231-054550_FlightStats.thumb.jpg.ce957e6166b10c3f6c0eedeac4a95828.jpg

Safe travels to everyone else as well. See you all soon! We are down in steerage class on Deck 4 this trip but we will be in the lounges/bars/etc most of the trip.

Edited by jpalbny

Happy New Year and bon voyage to all.

We will board the Cloud on February 28, and trust they will have resupplied the wine and liquor by then!

A serious question, we have been assigned suite 736, connected to the owners' suite.  Does anyone know how this compares to the vista suites on deck 4?  It is higher but very central, so we may roll but not pitch.  Any special concerns?  Should we try to switch?

Thanks,

Ann & Peter

Rachel and George, JP and Chris, and others on this Antarctic adventure, we wish you safe travels, good weather, fantastic scenery, and wonderful animal sightings. We were fortunate to be in Antarctica in 2011 and it was fabulous.  We look forward to following along with all your adventures both ashore and onboard.  I am sure there will be some good hikes to be found, and good libation onboard.  

We will be in a different part of the world, warm Caribbean waters for us, on both Silversea and Regent.  We will be swimming with the fishes.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

A serious question, we have been assigned suite 736, connected to the owners' suite.  Does anyone know how this compares to the vista suites on deck 4? 

Will hopefully let you know. We are in 415 this trip, and have usually been in the 730s on board Cloud in the past. Will try to comment on similarities and differences, if we stay still long enough to type... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1