Ordinary coffee and plain ice tea still “free” ??

Aj101

My brother in law says he was told only water is free on board.   Is Holland charging for ordinary coffee and plain iced tea now?   Im hoping he just had an inexperienced phone agent.    They tried to sell him a soda card.  

Thanks!

aj

Edited by Aj101

Just now, Aj101 said:

My brother in law says he was told only water is free on board.   Is Holland charging for ordinary coffee and plain iced tea now?   Im hoping he just had an inexperienced phone agent.    They tried to sell him a soda card.  

Thanks!

aj

Yes, plain coffee/tea in the Lido or dining room as well as ice tea is "free"...it's the specialty like latte's etc that you' would be charged for

Warren

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Yes, plain coffee/tea in the Lido or dining room as well as ice tea is "free"...it's the specialty like latte's etc that you' would be charged for

Warren

Thanks ...I think he was getting up sold 🙂

Edited by Aj101

Had free coffee from the samovar in the Lido this AM. Coffee was also free in MDR last night with dessert course. Anything espresso-based will be a charge, but it is very reasonable compared to other lines and even many independent shops on land. Unsure of iced tea situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Plain water, iced tea, regular coffee, tea and lemonade and juices in the morning are always free.

He got up-sold a beverage card.  He said he asked very specifically about plain coffee and tea.

1 hour ago, Aj101 said:

He got up-sold a beverage card.  He said he asked very specifically about plain coffee and tea.

Even on MSC, most passengers will have free mineral water and coffee in MDR and buffets. MSC does try to sell drink packages starting from @$30/day. The $40/day package includes inexpensive alcohol drinks.

1 minute ago, GeriatricNurse said:

kazu, is it 'fresh-squeezed' orange juice in the Lido at breakfast?

Nope not that I have seen for the last few years.  Fresh squeezed in the Pinnacle Grill at breakfast (for NS & above) Neptune Lounge and room service last time I was on board.

OJ is in the LIdo was drinkable and seemed to be a mix?  Not sure but it wasn’t fresh squeezed OJ.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Milk also free, but hard to find at times.

Milk is always out in the lido in the morning. Other times of day, so long as the Lido is staffed, just ask and someone will get it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

Milk is always out in the lido in the morning. Other times of day, so long as the Lido is staffed, just ask and someone will get it. 

True, but at meals in the main dining room while you can get it, it often takes awhile.

16 hours ago, Aj101 said:

If he can't cancel the card (thru Already Booked - Manage My Bookings - Itinerary), he will get any unused portion of the beverage card (not beverage package) refunded.

Yes, and chocolate milk is available free at the lido dessert station. It can also be written in on your breakfast room service card. Just last week on NA, we ordered and got from the lido a great deal of chocolate milk for dh and our daughter, both chocolate milk addicts. 

• Like 1

So here is the start of a list of what you can drink FREE (or with no up-charge, however you choose to call it):

Water

Iced Tea

Coffee 

Lemonade

Hot Tea (a bunch of choices)

Hot Chocolate

Milk

Chocolate Milk

Orange Juice

Pineapple Juice

Grape Juice

Prune Juice

Also, alcohol is free at the "meet the officers" reception first gala night & the mariner welcome aboard reception & probably other events we are not privy to as lowly 3 Stars.

2 bottles of wine w/no corkage brought on at embarkation

We've never gone thirsty and we've never paid for any drink except for wine...and wine...and wine.....and then more wine.

What did I forget?  Grapefruit juice?

• Like 4

Nothing is free on a cruise ship.  

There are things we pay for at the time of consumption /use and things we pay for included in our fare and  there is no charge for them at the time we (drink our ordinary coffee and or tea).)  ... many of which are listed earlier in this thread.

6 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Nothing is free on a cruise ship.  

There are things we pay for at the time of consumption /use and things we pay for included in our fare and  there is no charge for them at the time we (drink our ordinary coffee and or tea).)  ... many of which are listed earlier in this thread.

perhaps "no up-upcharge" would be an acceptable term? or would you prefer "included in your base fare"?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

So here is the start of a list of what you can drink FREE (or with no up-charge, however you choose to call it):

Water

Iced Tea

Coffee 

Lemonade

Hot Chocolate

Milk

Chocolate Milk

Orange Juice

Pineapple Juice

Grape Juice

Prune Juice

Also, alcohol is free at the "meet the officers" reception first gala night & the mariner welcome aboard reception & probably other events we are not privy to as lowly 3 Stars.

We've never gone thirsty and we've never paid for any drink except for wine...and wine...and wine.....and then more wine.

Yes, grapefruit juice. Juices only available at breakfast but we would take a glass back to our room. We also took the cartons of milk available at breakfast for cereal and kept them in our fridge. 

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Water

Iced Tea

Coffee 

Lemonade

Hot Chocolate

Milk

Chocolate Milk

Orange Juice

Pineapple Juice

Grape Juice

Prune Juice

From my breakfast menus, you can add guava, apple, cranberry, tomato, and V8 juices.  White milk choices include skim, 2%, whole.  Also add almond milk to the list.

Edited by Crew News

22 hours ago, erewhon said:

Was the grape juice available in the Main Dining room?

He thought he was being funny, asking the Filipino wine steward in the Lido, but our Indonesian waiter took him literally, so he had to drink it!  I imagine if it is in the Lido, it would be available in the MDR!

Did you see your Bon Voyage thread?

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

He thought he was being funny, asking the Filipino wine steward in the Lido, but our Indonesian waiter took him literally, so he had to drink it!  I imagine if it is in the Lido, it would be available in the MDR!

Did you see your Bon Voyage thread?

Thank you for your reply.

And yes.

Wow....That's a lot more FREE or rather, no up-charge required or rather, included in your base fare drinks....Here's the updated list:

Water

Iced Tea

Coffee 

Lemonade

Hot Chocolate

Hot Water (add a lemon)

Milk, Whole

Milk, 2%

Milk, Skim

Almond Milk

Chocolate Milk

Orange Juice

Pineapple Juice

Grape Juice

Prune Juice

Grapefruit Juice

Apple Juice

Guava Juice

Cranberry Juice

Tomato Juice

V8

Also, alcohol is free (no up-charge or included in your base fare lol) at the "meet the officers" reception first gala night & the mariner welcome aboard reception & probably other events we are not privy to as lowly 3 Stars.

Any more? 

(I'll need to order some of that grape juice in the MDR......or might just buy me some more wine!)

• Like 1