Let's talk Shopping !

bobkins40

I am a container type of person.  I like drink cups, bags with the ship name, and magnets so as I walk by the refrigerator I see the magnet and remember the fun times.  We also always try to get a coffee cup, because of course, I like containers.

We've never found anything onboard worth spending our money on.....not really into anything with "logos"...and lots of stuff is logo-covered.  Not into "souvenirs", either.  I figure, if you  need something to remember your good times by, then you probably didn't have a memorable time in the 1st place.

• Like 3

I like getting a sweat shirt , a magnet and a tote bag with ship name. I wear the sweat shirt at work to make people jealous😉, I use the tote bags for the same lol and the magnets on the fridge just make me smile. IF i could buy the "Bing" sound that plays when they swipe my card as I get on board, I most certainly would😍

We collect magnets from all our vacation travels,  but after buying a new fridge, I found some nice metal "boards" on Amazon, and we use those now instead of scratching the fridge.

On our last cruise, our oldest son found a ship model that's made of thin foam-core. For under $20, he got something to build (which he LOVES), and a cool souvenir. It's still together and on a shelf in his room.

We always try and get a car number plate from all the places we visit and I put them onto my shed in the garden. So when we are sitting in the garden having a chill we can look at all the places we have been and remember the great holidays we have had . It also gives me a good chance to look around each port when we are away to try and find some. 

• Like 2

As hard as I try to make a purchase I can never find anything on board that I can't get at home for less money. I'm not interested in being a billboard for Royal Caribbean by wearing anything with a logo and with technology being what it is I can take thousands of  pictures that get stored in the cloud and don't even have to print them. They are with me all of the time since they are taken with my phone. These are all the memories I need.  If I drove to port I will bring home liquor. I don't bother if I fly because the difference in price isn't enough to compensate for the extra weight in the bag. At this point in our life we are looking to eliminate clutter so we are not looking to purchase more crap made in China 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Noreen411 said:

We like to get a Christmas ornament from the ship.  Also from the various islands or places we visit.

I do the same thing.  Those ornaments are the last to go on the tree and the hubby and I reminisce about our favorite activities or restaurants from those places.   

Mrs Ldubs used to buy Swarovski crystal figurines every time we traveled, including on cruise ships.  The curio is now full so she doesn't do that anymore.  Once on an excursion to Capri she bought a whole bunch of those little bells on necklace chains to hand out to everyone in the extended family.    Some of our family collect things like thimbles or shot glasses.  And, one of my SILs collects the ship models. That collection is pretty cool.   

As far as shopping for stuff, if it is for the experience, then by all means go for it and have a terrific time.  I fully understand as a large number in our family group enjoy shopping for the sake of shopping.   If to save $$, then best do some checking before handing over the hard earned money.  Haha

On 1/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, Noreen411 said:

We like to get a Christmas ornament from the ship.  Also from the various islands or places we visit.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, robindina said:

I do the same thing.  Those ornaments are the last to go on the tree and the hubby and I reminisce about our favorite activities or restaurants from those places.   

I think that is a fun thing to do.  If we still decorated a tree, I can see being into collecting ornaments during our travels.