Anthem Jan. 5, 2020 11 Nights Southern Caribbean - RECAP

twangster

Day 11 - Dinner

You know it... Coastal Kitchen

The day 1 menu was back and with it the Grilled Filet Mignon.  

an_day1dinner-2.jpg

Dinner with a friend so no pictures.  

Gotta say this filet let me down a bit.  The flavor was good, it was cooked perfectly but the cut of meat wasn't that great and it was hard to cut through the sinew.  However the ambiance, the company and the wine went a long way to overcome it.  

Day 12 - Bayonne

Up early to grab some breakfast in the WJ we were backing into the slip at Cape Liberty.

an_day12-1.jpg

I joined the self assist line early because I was up and had nothing better to do.   Time 5:53am.

an_day12-2.jpg

Comparing prices it looks like Lyft has gone crazy so Uber it will be.

an_day12-3.jpg

an_day12-4.jpg

Ahead of schedule they started letting us off and I was through the facial recognition and outside by 6:51am.

an_day12-5.jpg

By 7:35am I was checked in, through security and in the Delta Sky Club.

an_day12-6.jpg

For some reason my Uber driver went South through NY to reach Newark claiming traffic was backed up.  Imagine my surprise when my fare went from under $20 to $67!

an_day12-8.jpg

I submitted a fare review through Uber and within hours had my rate adjusted back to what I signed up for. 

an_day12-7.jpg

Don't let your rideshare driver go the Southern route to Newark through New York.  They are really proud of their bridges on this route.  

• Like 2

These photos were great!  Making me even more excited for my upcoming Anthem sailing.  

Just a question about check-in at Cape Liberty:

If you arrived at 10:00, and they started boarding at 10:35, how long until you actually stepped onboard?  Did you use the Expedited Boarding with the Royal App?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twangster said:

I submitted a fare review through Uber and within hours had my rate adjusted back to what I signed up for. 

They are good about that.

FYI, the other self assist line (toward Izumi) was shorter - we walked off about the same time.

5 hours ago, cgags47 said:

Just a question about check-in at Cape Liberty:

If you arrived at 10:00, and they started boarding at 10:35, how long until you actually stepped onboard?  Did you use the Expedited Boarding with the Royal App?

I didn't have "Expedited Boarding".  I didn't really need it.  JS can use the suite queue so I walked right up to a girl with a tablet and was through in seconds.  

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

They are good about that.

FYI, the other self assist line (toward Izumi) was shorter - we walked off about the same time.

Cabin was at the aft elevators so I just used that line.  Too much work dragging luggage around for the 43 seconds it would save me.  

2 minutes ago, Dan The Man 99 said:

Great pics! You didn't say much about your dinner in Jamie's??

Dan

Sorry about that.  The Lamp Chops Scottadito was excellent.  The meat plank was a great starter.  We shared a pasta dish was was more than enough for two.  Very enjoyable experience.  

I enjoy Jamie's because it is a relaxed environment with a broad menu that anyone should be able to find something they like.  Chops is a steak restaurant,  Izumi is sushi and Wonderland is interesting and fun but not something I need to repeat over and over.   The last three are suited to a specific taste whereas Jamie's has more variety to choose from.  That worked well for a meal with a friend whose tastes are not well known to me so it was the safe choice and we were not disappointed.  

Jamie's is also a venue I could eat at multiple times and find something different to create a completely different meal experience for each visit.  

5 hours ago, cgags47 said:

Did you use the Expedited Boarding with the Royal App?

That line is on the right as you enter the terminal and it's expedited check in not boarding. The facial recognition system (from your uploaded pic) loads the info to the tablets of the staff in that line  - they ask the health question, scan your document(s) and you pass through security (which probably has the shortest line of any, including suites) and then just walk on the ship (assuming boarding has started) - for us it was 5 min from curb to ship around 11 AM.

Edited by Biker19

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That line is on the right as you enter the terminal and it's expedited check in not boarding. The facial recognition system (from your uploaded pic) loads the info to the tablets of the staff in that line  - they ask the health question, scan your document(s) and you pass through security (which probably has the shortest line of any, including suites) and then just walk on the ship (assuming boarding has started) - for us it was 5 min from curb to ship around 11 AM.

5 minutes, that’s awesome!

I’m going to advise everyone in my party to use the app to get through quick. And this may be weird, but should I wait to take the ID photo on the app? I currently have a beard, but won’t have when when I board the ship. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

And this may be weird, but should I wait to take the ID photo on the app?

I would, even if the facial recognition system recognizes you, the staff will probably want a current photo (due to the beard change).

Cruise Summary

When ever I sail a Quantum class ship I'm reminded about how much I love this class of ship.  I was just on the newly amped Oasis and that is a great class of ship but there is something about Anthem and Ovation that is really appealing.  I prefer both the balcony and junior suites on these ships more than Oasis class.  The balcony cabin layout and bathroom is just about perfect on this class. 

As it has happened to work out 80% of my 2020 cruises are on Quantum class and I'm okay with that. 

On this trip I hardly used the pool deck and for the first time I didn't use North Star or iFly.  I don't know where the time went but other than walking through the Solarium a couple times I lived on the lower decks this cruise.   I'm not a sun worshiper so that plays into equation.   I may dig through some of my older Anthem picture galleries to post some pictures because the Solarium is one of the nicest in the fleet and the indoor pool area for families is perfect for this ship.  I wouldn't be doing her justice to not show them off.  

I did walk through the SeaPlex with the goal of visioning how Playmakers will work on Odyssey when she arrives later this year.  I'm really looking forward to sailing on that ship with the evolution that has come with operating these ships for a number of years now.  I was disappointed when Spectrum went straight to Asia but was thrilled when Odyssey was placed in Florida for the end of this year.

A lot has been said about Diamond Plus being restricted from the Concierge Lounge.  I seem to pick my sail dates with increased number of top elite so that is something I've experienced a number of times on both Anthem and Ovation.  I've got to say the expanded Diamond Lounge has always worked really well for me on both ships.  I met some new friends and saw a many of them night after night.  As a solo cruiser I love that the Music Hall bar is available for happy hour.  It's much easier to meet and talk with new friends at the bar seating compared to a table somewhere by myself.  For me losing access to the CL is a non-event.  

The crew were amazing once again on Anthem.  I've sailed with Captain Srecko before and will always look forward to sailing with him again.   

Coastal Kitchen once again was a star and a highlight of the cruise for me.  The night one filet is one of the best steaks in the fleet.

I am really glad they occasionally do these longer itineraries on Anthem.  It's such a nice ship a 7 or 8 night is too short and the ports are more interesting on these longer runs.  Having to wear long pants on the first and last day in the middle of winter is trivial.

Bayonne or Cape Liberty is a great home port.  With sub $20 rideshare transfers it's second only to Fort Lauderdale for fly-in convenience.  Facial recognition is a welcome update since my last Bayonne departure that makes the debarking process so easy.

I'll post the specialty dining menus I have soon and I may go through some of my older Anthem pictures to find the best one to show off a few areas I missed this time around.

Until then I hope you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing.  

Cheers!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, but I've tried a dozen times to delete pics from this quote,  get about half way through, and one of the pics opens up instead of deletes, and I have to start over, so I give up.

Easier to highlight text and wait work the "Quote Selection" pop up to appear.  

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

I did walk through the SeaPlex with the goal of visioning how Playmakers will work on Odyssey when she arrives later this year.  I'm really looking forward to sailing on that ship with the evolution that has come with operating these ships for a number of years now.  I was disappointed when Spectrum went straight to Asia but was thrilled when Odyssey was placed in Florida for the end of this year.

Are you on the inaugural trips

*used your suggestion 

Thank you for another great review, I nearly always follow your reviews but rarely comment. I've especially enjoyed this one as we are on Quantum next month, our first time on this class and your photos of the ship have been great. We are also in a JS with a split bathroom (a J3) so nice to see that and the Coastal Kitchen menus and pics. Hope we will be able to get reservations onboard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

At any rate Captain Srecko is well liked by the guests.   

Thank you Twangster for another awesome review. Anthem is our favourite ship!

We were on the same cruise in 2018 to Miami you referenced earlier. As you were aware, Captain Srecko was also on that cruise and he was just fantastic. We spoke with him a couple of times around the ship and he was great with my kids who remember seeing him as Captain on Quantum during the Mighty Ships episode.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Yep.  Looking forward to them.  Are you? 

Twangster, did they do the Zombie dance in Two 70 like they did on Ovation last May?

Also, remember they did not do the Quest so has Anthem continued the Quest?  I found that odd and was wondering  it Aussies don't like Quest or if the CD Chris was conservative.

I am booked on Odyssey 3 times in 2021 and one is B2B out or Rome.

Agree I might miss the quiet of Seaplex with the added Bar.  Time will tell

Twangster - How were the seas sailing down and back from NYC?  We've only done one cruise out of Bayonne (to Bermuda and back) and the seas were very rough the first and last day.  Outside decks closed and barf bags on the stairs.  That was also back when the terminal was a big tent and they shuttle bused you to the ship.  My wife swore never again.  I've tried to tell her that we had an unusually bad experience with the rough seas, but I don't know how true that really is.

Your review was wonderful and your pictures amazing!  Thank you for sharing so much info and insight on this class of ships.  Going to sail on a Quantum class for the first time when we are on Odyssey for the New Years Cruise 2020.  Looking so forward to this new experience!