Possible coronavirus on ship

TorontoSailor

On 1/31/2020 at 9:43 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

That's why I always take 2 sets of silverware.  I discard the silverware from the first set and I use the napkin as my silverware placemat.  I use the silverware from the second set and the napkin as my napkin.  Eliminates a trip back to the bar.

I couldn't resist sorry lol

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 9:20 AM, Drwho32 said:

Herein lies the problem.  Celebrity cruises (for one) does not enforce hand sanitation certainly not on our last cruise on the Edge.  We experienced numerous examples of passengers refusing hand sanitation despite significant bronchial sickness on the ship.  Passengers who should have been confined to their cabins were instead allowed to freely wander the ship spreading their infection to other passengers and crew.  Time was when you were not given the option but that common sense seems to have been abandoned in the name, presumably, of not infringing on people's god-given right to spread their sicknesses to others.

We saw the same thing on the Edge.  Handwashing stations at the buffet but very very few were washing their hands.  How gross was my first response.

At least with the hand sanitizer lady there seemed to be higher compliance on S class.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, sippican said:

Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!

You are making assumptions and judgements.

My skin cannot tolerate the repeated use of the alcohol-based sanitizers so I am one of those judged harshly by others for refusing the sanitizer at the door. I do however practice hand sanitization practices that are probably superior to a squirt on the hand. (There is a great deal of research that concludes hand sanitizer is not the most effective.) Perhaps others were also using the hand-washing stations available? 

How did you judge that certain passengers should have been confined to their cabins?  

I also am allergic to hand sanitizer (I break out in blisters). I probably wash my hands with hot water & soap twice as much as those that use the hand sanitizer. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, sippican said:

Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!

You are making assumptions and judgements.

My skin cannot tolerate the repeated use of the alcohol-based sanitizers so I am one of those judged harshly by others for refusing the sanitizer at the door. I do however practice hand sanitization practices that are probably superior to a squirt on the hand. (There is a great deal of research that concludes hand sanitizer is not the most effective.) Perhaps others were also using the hand-washing stations available? 

How did you judge that certain passengers should have been confined to their cabins?  

The Edge has hand washing stations and not sanitizer.  However there is very very little use of the hand washing stations on the Edge. I do believe that is what the poster is talking about.

I also prefer the hand washing stations.  However they are not being utilized very well as there is not a lady there to encourage their use.  It is rather gross and germy on the Edge.

Edited by NMTraveller

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Edge has hand washing stations and not sanitizer.  However there is very very little use of the hand washing stations on the Edge. I do believe that is what the poster is talking about.

I also prefer the hand washing stations.  However they are not being utilized very well as there is not a lady there to encourage their use.  It is rather gross and germy on the Edge.

Just of the Edge 22/1 and I can state there are both wash stations and and sanitizer stands along with a lady standing with more bottles of the stuff on the Edge so really don't understand that statement.  Yes there was the extra wash station and I agree they were not used much at all however they were over and above what I have seen on ever other cruise ship I have been on so far including Celebrity and Royal

6 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just of the Edge 22/1 and I can state there are both wash stations and and sanitizer stands along with a lady standing with more bottles of the stuff on the Edge so really don't understand that statement.  Yes there was the extra wash station and I agree they were not used much at all however they were over and above what I have seen on ever other cruise ship I have been on so far including Celebrity and Royal

We did not have the lady with the sanitizer standing there.  Are people now washing their hands or using the sanitizer?  It happened rarely on our cruise.  That would be a plus if they have more compliance than they did!

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

We did not have the lady with the sanitizer standing there.  Are people now washing their hands or using the sanitizer?  It happened rarely on our cruise.

Only saw a few washing their hands however, the same vast majority I have seen on every ship use the hand stuff.  Some do not but we know not to judge them as as our future son in law cannot use it but he carries his own bottle of NHS supplied stuff and uses it just ahead of arriving at the station and also again before eating. So some people will have 'seen him walk on by'.

3 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Only saw a few washing their hands however, the same vast majority I have seen on every ship use the hand stuff.  Some do not but we know not to judge them as as our future son in law cannot use it but he carries his own bottle of NHS supplied stuff and uses it just ahead of arriving at the station and also again before eating. So some people will have 'seen him walk on by'.

Well that is a definite plus.  It was gross last September without the hand sanitizer and very few washing their hands.  I believe that is the reason that this issue came up.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

My question whenever I see the “No one was using the hand washing stations” complaints is this...

Were you on those people’s tail the whole time from their previous location to the dining area? And if not, how do you know they had not washed their hands just prior to entering the dining area and not touched anything to make them “germy” again?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My question whenever I see the “No one was using the hand washing stations” complaints is this...

Were you on those people’s tail the whole time from their previous location to the dining area? And if not, how do you know they had not washed their hands just prior to entering the dining area and not touched anything to make them “germy” again?

I couldn't agree more. DW and I often visit the Ladies/Gents immediately before dining and wash our hands thoroughly. We use paper towel to open the door when exiting. There is no need to re-wash them 15 seconds later.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Well if most are washing their hands in the mens or ladys room then there would be a big line there before entering the buffet...

We see men in the mens room not washing their hands after using the restroom every day.  Do you think that they are bothering to wash their hands at the buffet.  Probably not.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well if most are washing their hands in the mens or ladys room then there would be a big line there before entering the buffet...

We see men in the mens room not washing their hands after using the restroom every day.  Do you think that they are bothering to wash their hands at the buffet.  Probably not.

So, what's the solution?

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So, what's the solution?

It seems like good solutions would be to have everyone possible wash their hands or sanitize them in some manner OR to provide servers for the food and not allow passengers to handle the utensils.  What do you think?  They probably could cut down on sicknesses caught from the cruise.

I suspect that everyone complying with sanitizing their hands could be difficult.  So supply servers who are required to wash their hands.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

It seems like good solutions would be to have everyone possible wash their hands or sanitize them in some manner OR to provide servers for the food and not allow passengers to handle the utensils.  What do you think?

Well, the first part of your solution is more or less in place. Everyone is asked to wash or sanitize, but that is not something that can be readily enforced. Mum can check her kids' hands at home to make sure that they have washed them before sitting down to eat, but that type of scrutiny won't fly on a cruise line.

As for the second suggestion, I'm totally in favour. There are other lines that do this, although I don't know if the incidence of norovirus is any higher on Celebrity than on these other lines. Unfortunately, there is a staffing cost to implementing such a suggestion, and without a cost/benefit analysis proving that there would be a benefit to Celebrity, I doubt that they would entertain the idea.

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Well, the first part of your solution is more or less in place. Everyone is asked to wash or sanitize, but that is not something that can be readily enforced. Mum can check her kids' hands at home to make sure that they have washed them before sitting down to eat, but that type of scrutiny won't fly on a cruise line.

As for the second suggestion, I'm totally in favour. There are other lines that do this, although I don't know if the incidence of norovirus is any higher on Celebrity than on these other lines. Unfortunately, there is a staffing cost to implementing such a suggestion, and without a cost/benefit analysis proving that there would be a benefit to Celebrity, I doubt that they would entertain the idea.

Or avoid the buffet on Celebrity.  You get full service in the MDR where 100s have not touched the utensils.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I do wash my hands after the bathroom and do use the sanitizer at most of the pumps around the ship. But more important, I don’t pee on my hands.

unless you have a UTI or bladder infection,  your pee is sterile.   That's not what's being discussed here.  

& regarding hand washing, I'm all for it... in most instances it can help reduce illness, of course,  if something is truly airborne... well...    Hand sanitizers...  I wouldn't use one unless I'm in a jungle somewhere without access to to warm water, soap, & clean towels.  

And how about passengers that cough in their hands, not in the crook of their arm, then handle the buffet serving utensils..   or handling the bar menu or have their germy hands in the bar peanuts?  Or cough without covering.   Like in the elevator, then they press the buttons, or sitting directly behind you or next to you in the theater coughing without covering?

What do you do?

Edited by Justalone

2 hours ago, Justalone said:

And how about passengers that cough in their hands, not in the crook of their arm, then handle the buffet serving utensils..   or handling the bar menu or have their germy hands in the bar peanuts?  Or cough without covering.   Like in the elevator, then they press the buttons, or sitting directly behind you or next to you in the theater coughing without covering?

What do you do?

Maybe grab a serviette and wrap that around the utensils. However if this get bad enough I suspect that self serve buffets may be non existent for a while. I use a knuckle to select the lift buttons. Coughing in the theatre without shielding it and I would give a dirty look and walk out. 

Edited by Pushka

I too am very sensitive to hand sanitizers. Never use them. They cause my skin to become very dry and itchy. If others are judging me because I refuse the squirt of that stuff when entering the buffet that is simply their problem, not mine. I practice regular, thorough hand washing and have a very healthy immune system and have not become ill in 30 or so cruises. 

11 hours ago, Justalone said:

What do you do?

I’ve actually asked people to please cover their coughs. I do it as politely as possible.

It’s hard to teach manners to people who’ve never had them, though. 

It would be interesting for a news program to use a black light and actually check the hands of people at buffets. I think it would be eye opening. And check the utensils. 

No use obsessing over it, but I do like to clean my hands AFTER touching shared utensils.

Edited by TorontoSailor