Corona virus RCI policy

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

What about the China based cruiselines that are not name brands in the US?  Aren't there some mid-size ships that sail full time from China? 

Genting cruises operate both star cruises {which we have been on} and the newer Dream cruises in Asia, one of which is quarantined in Hong Kong. There are other smaller operators like Astro ocean who purchased the old P&O ship which now sails as Piano Land exclusively for the chinese market. I'm sure there are others.

16 minutes ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

I suppose it was too hopeful to think that Singapore wouldn't get dragged into this sooner or later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51398039

Just got to keep fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse and it is a one off.  

Not good, we're due to fly there on Tuesday.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:43 AM, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Hi,

We go on the Quantum towards the end of March {hopefully!}. As things stand I believe our chances of catching this virus are slim but we have made alternative arrangements in the event of the cruise being cancelled as we might only get a weeks notice and will already be in Asia by then. 

However, my two concerns would be firstly how could the local authorities police such a ban unless people come forward and volunteer the information. 

Secondly, I have more fear of someone getting onto the ship with no signs, then developing even minor symptoms from the virus and us all being quarantined for 2 weeks, unable to go home etc. like the people on the Diamond Princess just now. I suppose there are worse places to be!

{on a more jovial note, do you think R.C. would honor the extra nights towards C & A? 😁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51381594

Have you read articles where the people on the ship have been interviewed? They aren't allowed to leave their cabins. Imagine the people in interior rooms or the people with small kids. No thank you. Two weeks locked in a cruise ship room sounds horrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kernow said:

Not good, we're due to fly there on Tuesday.

No.

As I said before I think the risk is still low but the fallout surrounding it now is getting worse. If we even catch a mild cold from the long flights it will be looked upon as a self quarantine issue coming from these countries.    

4 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

Have you read articles where the people on the ship have been interviewed? They aren't allowed to leave their cabins. Imagine the people in interior rooms or the people with small kids. No thank you. Two weeks locked in a cruise ship room sounds horrible.

We were on the Diamond Princess last May in Japan, thankfully not in an inside cabin. Loved the ship but doubt I'd want to have to spend long under those conditions even in a suite!

1 hour ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

No.

As I said before I think the risk is still low but the fallout surrounding it now is getting worse. If we even catch a mild cold from the long flights it will be looked upon as a self quarantine issue coming from these countries.    

Taiwan and The Philippines has just closed their ports to ALL cruiseships.

We are crusing on Sunday out of Sydney Australia. We were going to have dinner with my daughter and grandkids tonight but my grandson has a cold so we cancelled. We didn't want to risk catching his cold and being suspected of having coronavirus while on the cruise.

Edited by mochuck

Seeing some of the interviews with passengers on the Diamond Princess last night.
From the aussie stand point, the biggest issue is they have stopped alcahol service.

They were going to start letting the passengers out on to the decks in small groups, starting with those who had inside cabins, and they are also supplying prescription medications (at no charge) to those that need them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachChik said:

They've just changed that, the guests will be allowed 90 minutes up on deck daily. 

3 minutes ago, boogybaby said:

I thought the Philippines had closed their ports to cruise ships!

The Philippines has denied The Crystal Symphony from docking. Taiwan also denied them. That ship is literally looking for a place to berth.

28 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Source please.

UPDATED Thursday, February 6, 2020 12:05pm EST

On Thursday February 6, Crystal Cruises was notified by authorities that the ports of Manila, Philippines and Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan are now closed to all international cruise ships. As a result of this change, Crystal Symphony’s upcoming overnight call in Manila scheduled for February 7-8 is cancelled. All guests and crew onboard have been notified of the change. Crystal has notified and cancelled all guests scheduled to join Crystal Symphony in Manila for its getaway sailing scheduled to depart on February 7.

Crystal Symphony is currently on a 13-night voyage, which was scheduled to disembark in Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan. The company is exploring options and dates for a disembarkation port for guests currently onboard Crystal Symphony and will notify its guests and travel partners when confirmed

For Crystal Symphony’s upcoming February 15, 15-night voyage (previously scheduled to depart Keelung, Taipei, Taiwan to Singapore), the company is currently exploring options and will notify its booked guests and travel partners when confirmed.The company is also exploring options for Crystal Symphony’s March sailings. Guests and travel advisors will be notified directly of upcoming changes as soon as confirmed.

Furthermore, in addition to mainland China and as per the recommendation of CLIA, the company will now deny boarding across its fleet to all persons who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days before embarkation.

Crystal thanks its guests and travel partners for their patience and understanding while its operations team diligently works to adjust to the ever-evolving situation

42 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

On Thursday February 6, Crystal Cruises was notified by authorities that the ports of Manila, Philippines and Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan are now closed to all international cruise ships. As a result of this change, Crystal Symphony’s upcoming overnight call in Manila scheduled for February 7-8 is cancelled. All guests and crew onboard have been notified of the change. Crystal has notified and cancelled all guests scheduled to join Crystal Symphony in Manila for its getaway sailing scheduled to depart on February 7.

Crystal Symphony is currently on a 13-night voyage, which was scheduled to disembark in Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan. The company is exploring options and dates for a disembarkation port for guests currently onboard Crystal Symphony and will notify its guests and travel partners when confirmed

For Crystal Symphony’s upcoming February 15, 15-night voyage (previously scheduled to depart Keelung, Taipei, Taiwan to Singapore), the company is currently exploring options and will notify its booked guests and travel partners when confirmed.The company is also exploring options for Crystal Symphony’s March sailings. Guests and travel advisors will be notified directly of upcoming changes as soon as confirmed.

Furthermore, in addition to mainland China and as per the recommendation of CLIA, the company will now deny boarding across its fleet to all persons who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days before embarkation.

Crystal thanks its guests and travel partners for their patience and understanding while its operations team diligently works to adjust to the ever-evolving situation

Thank you.

2/24/20 Quantum now out of Singapore has 2 stops in the Philippines,  Manila and Subic.  The ship has not been in China or Hong Kong, wonder if the itinerary will be changing again, if they will be banned from the Philippines. 

27 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Holland America Westerdam has ended it's cruise BUT it cannot dock anywhere to disembark passengers. They are working with the US State Department to find a port to dock in . 

They may end up moored next to Diamond Princess for two weeks.  Or maybe make it to Guam and be quarantined there instead.  What a nightmare.

Does anyone know what RCL is doing with those who show up to the terminal with a cough, but it's due to a cold or other non-coronavirus reason? Are they just denying boarding to everyone with these symptoms or is that just based on the additional screening?

With it being cold and flu season in the US, I see this scenario happening a lot.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

It could be because Crystal is Hong Kong based that Phillipines is refusing entry.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:33 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

How can they possibly enforce this? Are they gonna have a question on the set sail pass that says “have you been within 6 feet of someone who has visited mainland china in the last 14 days?” And more importantly, do they actually expect people to check yes on that box, knowing that they’re about to be turned away from their vacation with nowhere to go? I hope they offer some incentive for people to be truthful on that, like paying for their hotel so they’re not stuck in Singapore holding their luggage watching the ship sail away without them, and giving them a refund and helping them fly home. Otherwise, people are gonna lie. It’s also a somewhat flawed question as it assumes people know where everyone they come in contact with has been. 

They will take anybody with a Chinese passport to the side and question them.

9 minutes ago, mochuck said:

They will take anybody with a Chinese passport to the side and question them.

I don't know a lot about that region as far as cruising logistics go.  If the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan are banning cruise ships, and no one is going in or out of China right now if they want to cruise, what other ports in Southeast Asia are still accepting cruise ships for stops or port of embarkation/debarkation?