Azamara Journey rerouted due weather

oddjob16

Just got information that we are being redirected on the present cruise. We will be in Dunedin, NZ tomorrow and will turn north after that staying on the east side of the South Island to avoid Cyclone Uesi coming into the Tasman Sea from north east. 

Our new ports are Akaroa, Kaikoura and New Plymouth before heading straight for Sydney. We will arrive Sydney one day early on the 22.nd.

Our lost ports are Oban, Stewart Island, the Milford Sound and the Fjordland, and we also will lose the overnight planned for Hobart. 

Slightly sad that we miss out on the most exciting ports, especially Fjordland, but have to accept that safety comes first. 

Edited by oddjob16

Odd, that is such a shame. Now I know I made the right decision not to continue from Auckland. The Sounds for the variety they offer of NZ and Tasmania were the main draws. As you say though, safety first and good for you for being so philosophical. Enjoy the rest of the trip. 🚢

It was great to see you both as I got off and you got on in Auckland. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

I'm onboard now.    While missing Hobart is disappointing, I can see why.    We already got refunded our tickets for the museum/ferry/wine tour (not booked through Azamara).

I'm writing this on my phone.    The INTERNET has gone from slow to unusable on this voyage.    The thing only passes packets about 80% of the time (which is death to actually trying to get anything to happen).     In addition, Aza overcharged me quite a bit (they already billed the full $19.99 a day to my AmEx card even though I was supposed to get a small LCV discount).   

Oddjob16, I am sorry that you are missing so many ports, but glad that you can be accepting of the needed precautions to be taken.

Perhaps one day you will be able to visit again and have more favorable conditions.   I know weather isn't that easily predictable when planning a cruise so far in advance, and NZ is apparently known for very changeable conditions.   But we were there in their spring (on land in Oz, then Celebrity 24 days from Sydney to GBR and return, on to Tasmania and then NZ) and had near perfect weather, so it might be something to consider if you decide to return.    I do hope that the remainder of your cruise will be enjoyable, and that the weather will not have significant impact on your remaining days.   

In Akaroa we had an absolutely brilliant tour with Dermot Hall   http://www.estours.co.nz/

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Odd, that is such a shame. Now I know I made the right decision not to continue from Auckland. The Sounds for the variety they offer of NZ and Tasmania were the main draws. As you say though, safety first and good for you for being so philosophical. Enjoy the rest of the trip. 🚢

It was great to see you both as I got off and you got on in Auckland. 

Phil 

Thanks, Phil. We have to plan better next time. 😊

In general all passengers seem to accept our destiny and the crew has been very busy re-arranging everything for our new ports. Capt Johannes must have set a new record last afternoon as I think he litterally spoke to every guest on his many rounds around the ship. Today is Valentines and I look forward to a romantic dinner in Prime C. We are still a happy ship. 

• Like 4

Heading straight for the bottom of the south island!

With seas 5 - 7 metres (16 - 23 feet), although I would be sad to miss two of the highlights of the cruise if I was on it, I would be quite happy to miss the effects of this weather phenomenon.

Ex-Tropical Cyclone Uesi bypassing Australia, heading for New Zealand.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Thanks, Phil. We have to plan better next time. 😊

In general all passengers seem to accept our destiny and the crew has been very busy re-arranging everything for our new ports. Capt Johannes must have set a new record last afternoon as I think he litterally spoke to every guest on his many rounds around the ship. Today is Valentines and I look forward to a romantic dinner in Prime C. We are still a happy ship. 

Azamara is lucky to have Capt Johannes, a one of a kind Captain.  

I hope passengers enjoy the new ports, which I'd love to visit.

• Like 2

It is sad you are missing some highlights (although when we cruised the Sounds we didn’t actually see the fjords the mist was so bad). You are going to some great ports as substitutes where I’m sure not only will onboard pull out all the stops but so will the locals who will be thrilled to see you. 
Kaikoura has the best whale watching- we saw more there close up in an hour than we saw on two Alaska cruises. They were devastated by the earthquake and cut off by road for a while so will love the boost. 

Like Phil I’d say when you’re on tricky itineraries like that one that’s when you really welcome the skill and long gathered knowledge of Captains like Johannes. I’m so glad he will be our designated driver on the inaugural cruise down West Africa

• Like 3

16 hours ago, flyingron said:

I'm writing this on my phone.    The INTERNET has gone from slow to unusable on this voyage.    The thing only passes packets about 80% of the time (which is death to actually trying to get anything to happen).     In addition, Aza overcharged me quite a bit (they already billed the full $19.99 a day to my AmEx card even though I was supposed to get a small LCV discount).   

The internet on my two voyages before yours was pitifully slow too. Worst I've experienced in all my cruises on Azamara. At least I had the unlimited package, but for the first time I was not able to stream music or UK radio stations for any appreciable time. I know they are trialling unlimited internet for some now, either free for some cabin types or at a good discount for LCV members. My observation is that they need to invest in a better system first. It's not working well. 

They've given WhatsApp access free to all crew. Just messaging. No video or audio, but this must put a strain on ship wifi too. 

Phil 

• Like 2

New Plymouth is a lovely little town. Theres a great walking/cycling track along the waterfront to the Whalebone Bridge, Pukekura Park is delightful, the Len Lye museum is a great photo op, and if you get the chance (and its open) take a trip to Tawhiti Museum (in Hawera, South of New Plymouth), imho the best small museum in NZ, packed full of Maori and settler history. I hooe you enjoy the rest of your time in NZ!

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The internet on my two voyages before yours was pitifully slow too. Worst I've experienced in all my cruises on Azamara. At least I had the unlimited package, but for the first time I was not able to stream music or UK radio stations for any appreciable time. I know they are trialling unlimited internet for some now, either free for some cabin types or at a good discount for LCV members. My observation is that they need to invest in a better system first. It's not working well. 

They've given WhatsApp access free to all crew. Just messaging. No video or audio, but this must put a strain on ship wifi too. 

Phil 

I thought it was pretty good on the cruise from LA; maybe that’s because it was so incredibly bad on our Norway cruise in July 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

I thought it was pretty good on the cruise from LA; maybe that’s because it was so incredibly bad on our Norway cruise in July 

Really Laurie?  I thought it was awful as did a friend of mine who was on the LA to Papeete cruise too.  Of course it might be what we were using the wifi for, but it often would start to crawl and mail wouldn't send.

As I say, the acid test for me was how poorly the likes of Amazon Music and BBC Sounds (UK radio) performed. In the end there was no point in trying and I was listening at "quiet" times too.  I've not had an issue before, except maybe the Norway cruise I did, but I had probably resigned myself to the fact that Wifi was going to be poor on that trip being at high latitude and just didn't bother using it!  Less sea days as well made a difference!

It was good to finally meet you on the trip. 😎

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Really Laurie?  I thought it was awful as did a friend of mine who was on the LA to Papeete cruise too.  Of course it might be what we were using the wifi for, but it often would start to crawl and mail wouldn't send.

As I say, the acid test for me was how poorly the likes of Amazon Music and BBC Sounds (UK radio) performed. In the end there was no point in trying and I was listening at "quiet" times too.  I've not had an issue before, except maybe the Norway cruise I did, but I had probably resigned myself to the fact that Wifi was going to be poor on that trip being at high latitude and just didn't bother using it!  Less sea days as well made a difference!

It was good to finally meet you on the trip. 😎

Phil 

I found it did get worse the farther from the US we got, and once the day wore on.  Early morning it always seemed pretty good .

I’m glad we finally got to meet too!!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

And Odd, if you want to try some of the local brew and have a bite to eat in New Plymouth then put Shining Peak Brewing into your maps.  The beer is really good and the staff there very friendly and are proud to show you around the premises where brewing takes place.

phil

Thanks for the tip, Phil. We will do just that. 😁. Right now we are in Akaroa and have just arrived back after a stroll. Went to the Giants House and were gobsmacked. Had fish and chips and were totally disapointed. 

Poolside now with a Riesling in hand. Slightly cloudy, but 23 °C. Glad we are not in a storm. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

The internet on my two voyages before yours was pitifully slow too. Worst I've experienced in all my cruises on Azamara.

We were on the Tahiti to Auckland cruise and I agree that the wifi was pitiful. However we had free unlimited access as part of our package so I just put up with it. If we had paid separately for it I would have been furious. Tried to check the speed but it was too slow for the speedchecker to make much sense of it. It is completely unacceptable in this day and age that wifi on cruise ships isn't both free and good. The wifi on our last Viking cruise was excellent as was their onboard phone app.

1 hour ago, Captain Povey said:

We were on the Tahiti to Auckland cruise and I agree that the wifi was pitiful. However we had free unlimited access as part of our package so I just put up with it. If we had paid separately for it I would have been furious. Tried to check the speed but it was too slow for the speedchecker to make much sense of it. It is completely unacceptable in this day and age that wifi on cruise ships isn't both free and good. The wifi on our last Viking cruise was excellent as was their onboard phone app.

Confirming WIFI is bad. Payed for it. Knew it was silly. 

10 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Confirming WIFI is bad. Payed for it. Knew it was silly. 

Is it worse than your experience in previous cruises?  You’re not in a black spot as we had great coverage on another line in that area. It’s a real worry, WiFi was a huge issue in November as the speed was so slow I could not clear the security sign ins for work system. 
Now I can’t book Azamara cruises at critical work periods - being self employed need to work to cruise! 

8 hours ago, Traveler67 said:

On the Journey from LA to Tahiti.  Found wifi painfully slow.  Hardly worth the effort. Those that say differently must have dial up at home.

Nope no dial up here.  Maybe early morning no one else was online 

I guess I’m comparing it to our Norway cruise; so bad that Azamara gave a partial refund on request 

Edited by laurieb