Radiance stop at Bali cancelled

njkruzer

On board Radiance.  We were supposed to stop at Benoa, Bali tomorrow. Captain just announced Royal has decided we should cancel the stop because of the coronavirus issues.  We don't want to be stuck floating around like Holland America ship.  Still going there.  Will anchor off shore so officials can board and clear the ship.  About 4 hrs.  Not sure what that means exactly but captain says if we don't there are large tax issues.  I'm hoping more info to come.  At least I don't have to be up at 6 am for my 7 am tour.

17 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

On board Radiance.  We were supposed to stop at Benoa, Bali tomorrow. Captain just announced Royal has decided we should cancel the stop because of the coronavirus issues.  We don't want to be stuck floating around like Holland America ship.  Still going there.  Will anchor off shore so officials can board and clear the ship.  About 4 hrs.  Not sure what that means exactly but captain says if we don't there are large tax issues.  I'm hoping more info to come.  At least I don't have to be up at 6 am for my 7 am tour.

Indonesia has some weird rules and a lot of inconsistencies.

A lot of Chinese visit Bali and unusually they have no sign of the virus.

So people are very suspicious about their standards of health and reporting.

Theres a saying the only thing consistent about Indonesia is the inconsistency 

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Indonesia has some weird rules and a lot of inconsistencies.

A lot of Chinese visit Bali and unusually they have no sign of the virus.

So people are very suspicious about their standards of health and reporting.

Theres a saying the only thing consistent about Indonesia is the inconsistency 

We were given health forms to complete and were told they would do a temperature scan.  Oh well.  Also sorry for passengers who arrived late in Sydney and denied boarding by Australian authorities because of Bali stop, even though ship was in port and didn't leave until 5 am because of weather!

Just now, tomatosauce said:

If the sailing stays in Australian waters then they have to charge and pay tax for things like the alcohol from the store so they don't sell it.

Figured it was something like that.  Can't deprive us of our alcohol or shopping!

Feel so sorry for the crew in that case. When the ships call into Bali they usually let the crew off first as there are many Indonesians onboard and their families come to meet them. We had a call to Bali cancelled once due to terrorism fears and there were so many disappointed crew.

Just now, Pushka said:

This cruise is only going around Australia? In which case Bali and Indonesia has not been declared unsafe. 

2 cruises. Full circumnavigation,  Bali after Darwin,  then Port Hedland, etc. 1st cruise ends at Fremantle.  2nd cruise Esperance,  adelaide,  Melbourne,  Hobart,  Sounds on south Island,  2 stops, then Wellington and back to Sydney 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

2 cruises. Full circumnavigation,  Bali after Darwin,  then Port Hedland, etc. 1st cruise ends at Fremantle.  2nd cruise Esperance,  adelaide,  Melbourne,  Hobart,  Sounds on south Island,  2 stops, then Wellington and back to Sydney 

Given the thousands of Australian tourists on Bali on any given day there would be a huge issue if Bali was closed to Australian borders without notice. 

Edited by Pushka

Just now, Pushka said:

Given the thousands of Australian tourists on Bali on any given day there would be a huge issue if Bali was closed to Australian borders without notice. 

This was Royal's decision.   I think there is serious doubt, see NY times article,  that Indonesia has zero cases of the virus, which it is claiming.  Royal didn't want us banned by other ports and have us floating around the oceans. 

1 minute ago, njkruzer said:

This was Royal's decision.   I think there is serious doubt, see NY times article,  that Indonesia has zero cases of the virus, which it is claiming.  Royal didn't want us banned by other ports and have us floating around the oceans. 

Yes I agree but given they are going to places with known outbreaks, Singapore, it just seems strange. 

Just now, Pushka said:

Yes I agree but given they are going to places with known outbreaks, Singapore, it just seems strange. 

No they pulled out of Singapore.  Quantum is floating around and Spectrum is heading to Sydney for free cruises for firefighters.  No passengers on either ship.  March sailings from Singapore are uncertain. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, I so feel for you.  Assuming that 4 hours is how long you'll be there and not how long it will take for the ship to be cleared with temp scans, 4 hours from Benoa doesn't give you much time to see wonderful Bali.  Bali is very strict about certain things, like bringing illegal drugs into their country, which our Balinese driver/guide told us can be punished by death.  They also x-ray luggage before you leave the airport and go out onto the island - I suppose for weapons/drugs, but who knows?   

Honestly, there isn't much near the port that's truly interesting, so if the ship can arrange ANY excursions for on short notice, I'd sign up for one.  Or maybe a bunch of you can hire a driver to take you somewhere fairly close like Sanur and the beach area there (nicer than Tanjung Benoa)  or to a large cultural center, although I forget what it's called or exactly where it is.  Hiring a driver is inexpensive, even just for one or two people, although with only 4 hours you would have to be careful where you went.  I know a good driver/guide, but it's probably too late for me to give you the info.  

There is very, very little at the port terminal itself (just 2 vendors when I was there in December), and it's a long walk to get outside the port.  If there are shops open in the terminal, bargain hard.  Prices aren't posted.  

Hang in there.  You'll love Australia.  At least the bush fires are pretty much under control.  That was OUR biggest challenge in early January. 

Edited by roothy123

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

No passengers disembarked :classic_rolleyes:

Yep. Sat on the ship.  Looked at port.  Then headed out to sea again.  Today as we sail to Port Hedland we have to see Australian immigration authorities on board.   Re-entering Australia!  

Edited by njkruzer

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Yep. Sat on the ship.  Looked at port.  Then headed out to sea again.  Today as we sail to Port Hedland we have to see Australian immigration authorities on board.   Re-entering Australia!  

Well a big welcome, hope it's smooth sailing now and you have a Great vacation 

On 2/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, njkruzer said:

Also sorry for passengers who arrived late in Sydney and denied boarding by Australian authorities because of Bali stop, even though ship was in port and didn't leave until 5 am because of weather!

Sorry. What happened here? People were denied boarding in Sydney *because* the ship was due to stop in Bali, or some passengers had been to Bali and were denied boarding? I couldn't quite work out what you meant. 

Just now, rols said:

Sorry. What happened here? People were denied boarding in Sydney *because* the ship was due to stop in Bali, or some passengers had been to Bali and were denied boarding? I couldn't quite work out what you meant. 

From what I understand some people arrived at port in Sydney after Australian immigration (?) Passport control left, around 2:30 pm, and therefore could not board.  At that point we were supposed to go to Bali.  They were Australian citizens/residents, I don't claim to understand Australian rules.  The weather was very bad and some trains into the port were delayed causing ship passengers to be late. Additionally we didn't depart Sydney until 5 am!

Nothing to do with coronavirus at that point or where these people had been.

Edited by njkruzer

Just now, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just curious: When was the ship originally scheduled to depart Sydney?  I think, but could be wrong, thst all cruisers embarking a ship are required to be at check in or on board 2 hours pre-departure. 

Schedule was 4:30, all aboard was 4:30.  Weather was terrible and departure was delayed until 5 am.  The problem was that trains into Circular Quay were disrupted and delayed causing all sorts of problems. 

We departed the ship on the 9th.There were very, VERY strong winds and heavy rain that day. The ship would have had great difficulty getting away from the pier and sailing out of the harbor.It would have encountered major seas once out of the harbor.  The captain made a wise decision to stay in Sydney until the storm died. I was not surprised that the sailing was delayed.