How do I handle changing TAs?

RedE2Go64

I saw similar post, but it didn't quite answer my question. I am booked on Star Princess through a local travel agent. I've put down refundable deposit and picked the cabins. I got excited and booked it last week before shopping around for better price/perks.

Yesterday I checked with an online agency and they can beat the price by $100 per person. 

I know the original TA will not be happy about it, but can she release my reservation directly to the online agency? I really want to be able to get the same rooms back that we have but am I at the mercy of when she cancels my reservation so that the rooms open up and new TA grabs it before someone else does? 

The online TA may offer more perks (eg OBC) however I would carefully check the prices for any extra charges and that everything is included (also your local TA may have missed something like a state based discount that can still be added).

I say this because it is very rare (unless there is a group based discount which I have gotten) for TAs to have different base rates.

The price might be lower, but a good TA can answer your questions, help you with insurance questions and assist you in the event of an emergency.  You usually can't call an on-line booking site while you are on a cruise and need extra help.

Price isn't everything. 

• Like 5

OP: I have done this. If you want to switch to a new TA you must first transfer the booking  back to Princess. They will gladly tell you how if you call them. Send all of the cruise info to Princess and ask to transfer the booking back to Princess. Once that is complete you can then transfer it to another TA. The only caveat I can think of is the new time limit for transferring from Princess to a TA. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

13 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I say this because it is very rare (unless there is a group based discount which I have gotten) for TAs to have different base rates.

If you were from Canada, I would believe the above, but you are from NJ.  All the "base" rates are the same if you mean Princess current "list" price.  It is not at all unusual for US TA's to have a wide variety of net prices because of varying discounts, perks and OBC given out for bookings.  If you are booking with a TA and getting next-to-nothing, then time to find a new TA.

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If you were from Canada, I would believe the above, but you are from NJ.  All the "base" rates are the same if you mean Princess current "list" price.  It is not at all unusual for US TA's to have a wide variety of net prices because of varying discounts, perks and OBC given out for bookings.  If you are booking with a TA and getting next-to-nothing, then time to find a new TA.

I know TAs offer many various perks including OBC, free gratuities, etc.  Which effectively lower the rate.

Usually though the current price is the same across TAs unless there is some group cabin purchase by the TA.

I wonder what happens to your reservation if the TA goes bankrupt.  Some of the travel insurance companies now explicitly exclude travel agency bankruptcy from coverage.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I know TAs offer many various perks including OBC, free gratuities, etc.  Which effectively lower the rate.

Usually though the current price is the same across TAs unless there is some group cabin purchase by the TA.

I wonder what happens to your reservation if the TA goes bankrupt.  Some of the travel insurance companies now explicitly exclude travel agency bankruptcy from coverage.

The current price isn't the same across TA.  The TA I use will automatically discount the cruise by 8-10% regardless of 'group cabin purchases', etc.  My TA doesn't charge cancellation fees, etc. 

Bankruptcy by a TA shouldn't be an issue.  Most reputable TA do not accept your money or charge your credit card.  When I book a cruise, my credit card shows the name of the cruise line not the TA.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Actually no. My TA usually gives me 10% off published rate, regardless if she has group space. If she has group space, it maybe even lower.

All charges for my cruises goes through the cruise line. If I am booking a Princess cruise, the charge goes through Princess. I would never book with any agent who runs the charges through their agency first. 

Have you ever booked through an agent?

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

@RocketMan275 and @Coral are 110% correct.  What you may be thinking is if you go cruise shopping on various TA websites, you see the same pricing as Princess offers.  But if you talk to an agent or get a quote or have access to their booking pages, you are going to see that all TA's are not at all alike and many offer better pricing than Princess.  Every payment I make to our cruise bookings is charged to my credit card and paid directly to Princess Cruises (it appears as such on my CC statements as well).  It would not make a bit of difference if my agency went bankrupt (except I would miss them VERY much as they give the most generous discount of PCL fares that I am aware of).  In that most unlikely of circumstances, Princess would just end up taking back the booking.

• Like 1