Disembarking in Venice in August - need recommendations, pls?

carolekv

My adult son and I will be disembarking from the Celebrity Infinity in Venice in mid August this year.  We will have the day of arrival and one more day before heading back to the states.  My questions are:

• Recommendations on where to stay for those two nights?  Should we head into Venice even though for only two nights?  I was there last August, at Accademia Pensione and while it was fun, it was very crowded and hot.  I am interested in some options that might be less crazy yet still fun for my son who has never been to Italy before. 
  • If we do head into Venice, we could stay at Accademia again but any other recommendations for moderate to moderate-high priced yet well located hotels?
  • If we don't head to Venice, what would you recommend that is moderate to moderate-high, still a nice Italy experience for my son, yet not too far from the Venice airport.  I am pretty familiar with Padova, but any other ideas would be recommended.  (Love Padova and it just might be the perfect option, but a bit far for just two nights?)  
  • Also best transport ideas to/from port to hotel? 

Thank you!! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, carolekv said:

My adult son and I will be disembarking from the Celebrity Infinity in Venice in mid August this year.  We will have the day of arrival and one more day before heading back to the states.  My questions are:

• Recommendations on where to stay for those two nights?  Should we head into Venice even though for only two nights?  I was there last August, at Accademia Pensione and while it was fun, it was very crowded and hot.  I am interested in some options that might be less crazy yet still fun for my son who has never been to Italy before. 
  • If we do head into Venice, we could stay at Accademia again but any other recommendations for moderate to moderate-high priced yet well located hotels?
  • If we don't head to Venice, what would you recommend that is moderate to moderate-high, still a nice Italy experience for my son, yet not too far from the Venice airport.  I am pretty familiar with Padova, but any other ideas would be recommended.  (Love Padova and it just might be the perfect option, but a bit far for just two nights?)  

Thank you!! 

Consider walking to the People Mover from the port to the square where the busses can take you to the airport.  It is called the Piazalle Roma.  There are some small hotels and B&Bs nearby that you can walk to dragging your luggage about  100 yards.  

The bus to the airport is a great economy move if you need it.  If you decided to stay at a hotel near the airport, getting back to the city would be a bit of a pain, but you could just take that bus from the airport.

Another choice is the walk over the bridge at the Pizzalle Roma to the train station, there are several B&Bs and small hotels in that area.   You could take the Vaporeto closer to St. Mark's, but for one night, I wouldn't do it.

If you are debarking in Venice you are essentially in the city.  Take a vaporeto from the terminal to St. Marks, or a stop close to where you want to stay.  We've stayed at the Luna Baglioni a couple of times and love the location.  

Since your son hasn't been to Italy before I'd suggest staying right in Venice rather than at the airport.  

I'd suggest staying at the Piazalle Roma which is at the end of the people mover and convenient to both the airport busses and walking (or boating) around Venice.  We stayed at the AC Hotel Venezia which was excellent.  Many good places to eat nearby.

We stayed at Hotel Ala for 4 nights post cruise.  Great location can either get there by water taxi right to back door of hotel, or take vaparetto which is about 1 min walk to hotel.  Hotel was lovely, breakfast included, walking distance to St. Marks, and very convenient to vaparetto and troghetto.  

• Like 1

I can highly recommend Hotel Fontana (3 stars, value for money), a mere 3 mins walk from San Marco --

https://www.hotelfontana.it/en/

Moreover, you can take the Alilaguna Blu line right from the dock to San Zaccaria stop, and from this stop to the airport. No bridges to cross, no stairs to climb, 3 mins walk from the stop.

This line is geared towards travellers to and from the pier/airport, with staff taking care and helping with luggage.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu

• Like 2

We use Hotel Olympia, which is one bridge away from the Piazzale Roma. We take the people mover from the ship to the Piazzale and then get the airport bus from the Piazzale for the flight home.
It’s great wandering through the streets in Venice. The Piazzale Roma is also the terminus for the Valporetto water buses, so can reach many places from there.

3 hours ago, carolekv said:

Thank you!! 

We have stayed in Venice a couple times in August and it is packed with people and temperatures can be really hot.  

He have stayed twice at the same AirbNB and love the place.   It is located in Cannaregio, a quiet neighborhood with lots of quaint restaurants and only a 5 minute walk from S Alivise water taxi stop.  The owner will meet you at the water taxi and show you the way on check in.   Reasonably priced at about $90.    It is part of an old mansion so is not modern but does have air conditioning, wifi,  2 Bedrooms and a separate living room and kitchen.    What we loved most was a little patio off the kitchen overlooking a canal.

It is also available for bookings on this site -  with pictures

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/ca-39-cammello.html#map_closed

To get to Venice regardless of where you stay the best way is to grab the People Mover which is right at the port and ends directly across from the Train Station and the Main Water Taxi station.  It takes about 15 minutes and a 5 minute walk.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Molino Stucky.  

It's on Giudecca island not far from the cruise port and about 10 mins from St Mark's square  They run their own shuttle service to St Marks Square 1-2 times an hour (there's a very small nominal charge per stay for the shuttle that seems to work on an honesty basis).

Prices in the hotel for food and drink in the hotel are quite pricey bit when we were there they were handing out Executive lounge passes out quite liberally which saved a bit.  There's several very well priced and good restaurants a short walk from the hotel.

The hotel is also a stop on several vaporetto routes which means it's very convenient if you have luggage - No bridges and crowds to navigate

• Like 1

My favorite hotel is the Hilton Molina Stucky. You can take the Alilaguna from the port to the hotel. At the end of your stay, you can take that or a water taxi from the hotel to the airport. The hotel provides a free water shuttle to Venice throughout the day. 

We stayed at the Hotel Moresco once, rated #2 hotel at the time. It was convenient to the port and main vaporetto station, but it wasn’t as enchanting to me as the Hilton. They did have a wonderful free breakfast and happy hour, though.  

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

My favorite hotel is the Hilton Molina Stucky. You can take the Alilaguna from the port to the hotel. At the end of your stay, you can take that or a water taxi from the hotel to the airport. The hotel provides a free water shuttle to Venice throughout the day. 

We stayed at the Hotel Moresco once, rated #2 hotel at the time. It was convenient to the port and main vaporetto station, but it wasn’t as enchanting to me as the Hilton. They did have a wonderful free breakfast and happy hour, though.  

Their shuttle isn’t free and a charge is advertised.    When checking out you may be asked if you used the shuttle during your stay , if so you are charged a one off fee, irrespective of the length of your stay and how many times you used the shuttle. it’s not very much at all - currently advertised at  8.5 euros  / person - a bargain by Venice standards - even if use it only once.

i suspect some people answer no, or aren't asked. We were aware of the charge and thought that as we were never asked for room details on the shuttle it was perhaps being waived, but on check-out the clerk did ask and billed us accordingly

the Hilton proved to be a good place to cash in Hilton Honour points for us - rates were running at about a fairly hefty (for a Hilton) 400 euros per night when we booked.  We only have Gold status but still received a good room upgrade to one of their new rooms, free breakfast and free use of the executive lounge - we saved a fortune in Aperol Spritz's

Not sure it will change with the proposed restrictions on Cruise Ships sailing into the port (all ships were tugged along the canal in August, adding to a delayed departure of several hours) but the hotel is great for ship watching - Cruise ships sail right past the hotel along the Giudecca canal and you are metres away. I even got up at 4am on the day of our cruise to watch the ships sailing in past the hotel. 

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 1

Now, I am afraid to book any room in case the cruise changes to avoid the Coronavirus in Italy.  I hopefully am thinking it may be under control by August, or not in Italy but I do know another cruise that is occurring earlier that was just changed a good bit due to that reason and it did impact some of the cruisers plans a good bit.  

I think that containing the spread of the virus will be more in hand by August. You can always book a fully refundable hotel reservation. I’m using Hilton points to reserve the Hilton Molina Stucky and am looking forward to the views from the rooftop pool deck.

Edited by BlueSea72

On 2/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, ghstudio said:

I'd suggest staying at the Piazalle Roma which is at the end of the people mover and convenient to both the airport busses and walking (or boating) around Venice.  We stayed at the AC Hotel Venezia which was excellent.  Many good places to eat nearby.

Selected this hotel because of its location and your recommendation and a few other reasons.  Now, is it easy to get from the ship to the hotel, then into Venice for the day, then back to the airport in the AM?  Any recommendations on how to do this best?  Also, I was wrong about how long we have in Venice - we disembark Sunday but then fly out on Monday AM.  So we only have Sunday day and night in Venice!  

2 hours ago, carolekv said:

Selected this hotel because of its location and your recommendation and a few other reasons.  Now, is it easy to get from the ship to the hotel, then into Venice for the day, then back to the airport in the AM?  Any recommendations on how to do this best?  Also, I was wrong about how long we have in Venice - we disembark Sunday but then fly out on Monday AM.  So we only have Sunday day and night in Venice!  

We also stayed at AC Hotel Venezia. Its a good choice especially since you only have a short time in Venice. Its very easy to get to the hotel from the cruise pier - you can take the People Mover from the cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma and the hotel is pretty much right there. You can catch the Vaporetto to anywhere in Venice from Piazzale Roma (or you can walk if you are mobile and can handle the bridges). There are taxis lined up in Piazzale Roma that you can take to the airport in the morning or the ATVO bus to the airport leaves right from the square. It only costs eight euro and takes about 20 minutes.