Royal Boarding - Coronavirus rules?? Gbenjo?

Maybe Gbenjo knows the answer to this one?

If Royal according to their latest email to us says if someone presents ill at boarding & tests high temp etc - they can't board. BUT what if you were in line behind them - you are now within the 6 feet boundary of being in contact with someone potentially who was ill - do you also get banned from boarding also?? What is the protocol in this sort of situation?

9 minutes ago, avalon007 said:

If Royal according to their latest email to us says if someone presents ill at boarding & tests high temp etc - they can't board. BUT what if you were in line behind them - you are now within the 6 feet boundary of being in contact with someone potentially who was ill - do you also get banned from boarding also?? What is the protocol in this sort of situation?

Good question.  

We never board early (even though we get priority boarding).  Or, to be specific, we board towards the end of the required boarding time guidelines.  We also keep our luggage with us. We bring it on board ourselves.  Yes, they do not appreciate that but so what.   If there are still some people in line, there will be fewer of them and it is easy to keep a distance and observe who might be coughing, etc. and just to avoid them.   

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

serious??

Not sure to whom you are directing your post?

But if it's me then Yes totally serious. The latest Royal guidelines they say they will deny boarding to:

b. Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

So if it turns out those guests in the queue next to you came back from a trip to Venice last week but lied about it until Royal checked their passport & you are in the line next to them, then technically you qualify for item 'b' above do you not? By boarding day who knows what other countries will be on the list that you can't be in contact with. 😷😮

They also say:

2. There will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:

b. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

Couldn't that be anyone you pass in the street in Sydney, in the hotel you stay the night before etc etc as not everyone is honest about where they have been prior to arriving here??  So technically they would need to do health screenings on every passenger.

I prefer to know up front how Royal is enforcing these health protocols rather than be surprised on the day. Hopefully Gbenjo will enlighten us considering he will be on the frontlines so to speak. 🙂 

5 minutes ago, mr walker said:

No not you avalon007. My comment was meant for the poster above me - the ^ thingy didn’t work??

Like you I also wonder about the protocol, but was surprised at the post of pink845 😳

I was surprised about pink485’s post too. Two parts of it in fact - the luggage bit was very ‘me me’ entitlement. And as far as seeing who is coughing etc, there are probably going to be more people onboard coughing later in the cruise . It is more difficult to keep away from all coughing passengers then, unless you stay in your cabin! 

Leigh

8 hours ago, avalon007 said:

What a great question..I have no idea.. we follow all the prescribed protocols and I suppose we can  take some comfort in the knowledge that of all the people we have denied no one has subsequently proven positive , but how far do you take it. You could run the same risk if you were to say catch a train to the terminal or if maybe a taxi/ Uber driver  who’s cab you took.  Your work  ( if your not retired 😁) the day before you cruise, may  put you in the same circumstance .Should we have everybody guest in the terminal wear a mask?  How long is a piece of string.

59 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

What a great question..I have no idea.. we follow all the prescribed protocols and I suppose we can  take some comfort in the knowledge that of all the people we have denied no one has subsequently proven positive , but how far do you take it. You could run the same risk if you were to say catch a train to the terminal or if maybe a taxi/ Uber driver  who’s cab you took.  Your work  ( if your not retired 😁) the day before you cruise, may  put you in the same circumstance .Should we have everybody guest in the terminal wear a mask?  How long is a piece of string.

I would think the only way to contain it is if everyone stays at home and doesn't go about their everyday lives for a number of weeks. No flights in or out of the country and no ships allowed to dock. Not sure if too many would be happy with that. Sure it will be spread among families but maybe not to the general population. Good luck Graham, working at the OPT could be very interesting.

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I was surprised about pink485’s post too. Two parts of it in fact - the luggage bit was very ‘me me’ entitlement. And as far as seeing who is coughing etc, there are probably going to be more people onboard coughing later in the cruise . It is more difficult to keep away from all coughing passengers then, unless you stay in your cabin! 

Leigh

You  should see the post in the other thread where they say everyone in China should be locked up, and all planes from China stopped!

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Thanks for your reply - what is the procedure then? We line up outside the OPT, show our boarding pass, if you don't look sick & have had no known contact with anyone from the 'banned' categories it's proceed as normal? When do they make the call if someone seems to be high risk, outside the OPT before entering the building or once they are inside amongst everyone else? 😮 

Wow, everyone, thanks very much for bringing the proverbial hammer down on poor little me, me, me.  I, am the person, who upon becoming ill on a Princess ship a few years back with some virus made my way down to the medical center and self reported and knowingly knew that I would be put into quarantine in my cabin (yes, it was Japan as well).  I did this for the greater good of other people on the ship! 

Yes, I spent five days in my cabin until my fever had disappeared.  Thanks heavens we always travel with our own thermometers as the silly nurses could not get their own to work properly.    Three other people were also ill on the ship and they too self reported.  But I am sure there were many more who were selfish and went about making other people ill.   So, yes, I am overprotective of myself and other people. 

And, yes, I vehemently believe that this virus could have been better controlled with a ban on travel to / from China where the outbreak started and it should have been put into place at least one month ago via the airlines.  For the greater good of the world.  Containment! 

And yes, we bring our luggage on board ourselves.  We had a bag lost by Royal Caribbean leaving it with the porters and it showed up five days later. 

And another time, as people do not always read stateroom numbers of luggage tags correctly even though they are printed in a huge font, luggage goes wayward.  We were searching for a bag for cabin 631 when we found it ourselves outside  cabin 613 and another time the steward had actually put a bag into our cabin that belonged to another stateroom.  So, we bring our bags onto the ships ourselves towards the end of check in.  

Anyhow, in these times of time, we all have to to what we believe to be appropriate for our own circumstances. 

And, yes, I will be that person in business class with my N95 mask on during my flights should I come across someone who is coughing or sneezing continuously who is not wearing their own mask as it gives me comfort and that is the important thing. What is important for me may be not important to you. 

Also If there are people who want to stand in line behind someone who is coughing, go for it.  Remain there.  But myself, I will move on over.  I guess it is all a matter of what risk I can mitigate and what risk I cannot.  My two cents.  And obviously, may not be yours.

8 hours ago, avalon007 said:

Thanks for your reply - what is the procedure then? We line up outside the OPT, show our boarding pass, if you don't look sick & have had no known contact with anyone from the 'banned' categories it's proceed as normal? When do they make the call if someone seems to be high risk, outside the OPT before entering the building or once they are inside amongst everyone else? 😮 

Nothing outside,the health questions are asked at the check in desk inside the terminal,and if anyone answers yes to the visit/transit/ been in contact with someone who has etc , then they are sent for a secondary screening by a nurse and it would appear that people have been fairly honest in their answers.

5 hours ago, pink845 said:

Wow, everyone, thanks very much for bringing the proverbial hammer down on poor little me, me, me.  I, am the person, who upon becoming ill on a Princess ship a few years back with some virus made my way down to the medical center and self reported and knowingly knew that I would be put into quarantine in my cabin (yes, it was Japan as well).  I did this for the greater good of other people on the ship! 

Yes, I spent five days in my cabin until my fever had disappeared.  Thanks heavens we always travel with our own thermometers as the silly nurses could not get their own to work properly.    Three other people were also ill on the ship and they too self reported.  But I am sure there were many more who were selfish and went about making other people ill.   So, yes, I am overprotective of myself and other people. 

And, yes, I vehemently believe that this virus could have been better controlled with a ban on travel to / from China where the outbreak started and it should have been put into place at least one month ago via the airlines.  For the greater good of the world.  Containment! 

And yes, we bring our luggage on board ourselves.  We had a bag lost by Royal Caribbean leaving it with the porters and it showed up five days later. 

And another time, as people do not always read stateroom numbers of luggage tags correctly even though they are printed in a huge font, luggage goes wayward.  We were searching for a bag for cabin 631 when we found it ourselves outside  cabin 613 and another time the steward had actually put a bag into our cabin that belonged to another stateroom.  So, we bring our bags onto the ships ourselves towards the end of check in.  

Anyhow, in these times of time, we all have to to what we believe to be appropriate for our own circumstances. 

And, yes, I will be that person in business class with my N95 mask on during my flights should I come across someone who is coughing or sneezing continuously who is not wearing their own mask as it gives me comfort and that is the important thing. What is important for me may be not important to you. 

Also If there are people who want to stand in line behind someone who is coughing, go for it.  Remain there.  But myself, I will move on over.  I guess it is all a matter of what risk I can mitigate and what risk I cannot.  My two cents.  And obviously, may not be yours.

All fair comment, you are entitled to do whatever you want for your own peace of mind.  You must however, travel with fairly small luggage, as anything larger than a cabin size case is not permitted to be taken inside the terminal as they will not fit through the security scanning machines.

14 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I cough all the time !!! - the smallest crumb or air bubble going down the wrong way sends me into paroxysm of coughing. Bit like late onset ashthma. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

I cough all the time !!! - the smallest crumb or air bubble going down the wrong way sends me into paroxysm of coughing. Bit like late onset ashthma. 

Me too bazzaw. But I am not ill, don't have a fever and feel perfectly well except for the crumb or gulp of tea or coffee I may have taken. Many older people in particular  cough all the time. Doesn't mean they are ill.

Leigh

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Nothing outside,the health questions are asked at the check in desk inside the terminal,and if anyone answers yes to the visit/transit/ been in contact with someone who has etc , then they are sent for a secondary screening by a nurse and it would appear that people have been fairly honest in their answers.

To be fair, people should already know these things you mention are issues for them, and have rung the cruise line prior to their embarkation time. If they seriously are getting to the check in desk and answering 'yes' to having come from/ transitted countries on the concern list, or been in contact with someone who has been/is unwell etc, then I am very concerned about the processes in place. At the very least, the question should be asked as a screening question as people arrive at the quay/wharf so they are not in close contact with heaps of other people for ages in a queue.

7 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Same here, but I do have asthma and have had for years.  My husband is constantly laughing and telling me to ssh! as I get out my inhaler when people start looking at me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well.  On the Radiance of the seas which got cancelled at 5 pm on day of embarcation, the lady in front of me was taken away for second screening as she was coughing consistently as health questionnaire people were handing these forms out.  She said she had asthma right there in front of us.  Lady asked her if she had a letter or certificate from her doctor and she said no.  They were taken out of line.  Do not know what happened after that.  Wr had our temps taken as did all passengers and yes we  brought our luggage all of it on board.  Getting all money back and our trip insurance covered everything else.  Actually was happy cruise got cancelled due to New Zealand banning ships.  Had lovely week in Sydney and days after all free.

3 hours ago, pink845 said:

Well.  On the Radiance of the seas which got cancelled at 5 pm on day of embarcation, the lady in front of me was taken away for second screening as she was coughing consistently as health questionnaire people were handing these forms out.  She said she had asthma right there in front of us.  Lady asked her if she had a letter or certificate from her doctor and she said no.  They were taken out of line.  Do not know what happened after that.  Wr had our temps taken as did all passengers and yes we  brought our luggage all of it on board.  Getting all money back and our trip insurance covered everything else.  Actually was happy cruise got cancelled due to New Zealand banning ships.  Had lovely week in Sydney and days after all free.

Good that you were able to enjoy time in Sydney and get something good out of a bad situation

Great hypothetical question, but the way I see it is - no one will be cruising until Coronavirus/Covid19 is under control, over or a vaccine is found. So the person near you coughing will just be ‘coughing’. 
Or stop cruising 🤔
My thoughts anyway 🤷‍♀️

The question was posted way before the cruise cancellations or before any of this blew up back when Royal was saying if you presented to board with any signs of illness you would be screened. 🙂 But yes, we are way beyond that time now.

Luckily we managed to complete the last Ovation cruise to NZ before they stopped the cruises.

23 hours ago, pink845 said:

Good result for you despite missing out on your cruise.