Booking directly with Princess?

subaru94

One cannot make sweeping assumptions about how an experience using a TA will be.  I've said, sailing single, my TA regularly gets me a fare less than Princess and I'm not talking $50, $100 or even $200 less.  I book long cruises, rarely less than 15- 20 days, go twice a year usually.  It is definitely personal preference, individual experience. 

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't think anyone has truly explained why they retain more control over their booking when they book direct rather than with a TA.  I've simply not experienced such a loss of control.  Perhaps that's because I have an excellent TA.  I've found her to be far more responsive than a cruise line employee.  I never spend a significant amount of time on hold, I get timely responses, etc.  What I find amusing is the claim that some TA never check for price drops.  Well, so what, name a cruise line that will automatically apply price drops to a direct booking.

I don't use a TA to book airlines and hotels.  I book those directly.  I'm willing to deal through a TA because I can save hundreds of dollars each cruise. 

I've done my best to answer your question, but I'm clearly not explaining in a way that is working for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was simply responding to the OP's question and relating my own experiences, which have apparently been almost the exact opposite of yours. Fine. Our experiences inform our actions and preferences.  I've had a Princess consultant who DOES reach out to us to help us take advantage of price drops, and I've never saved enough money using a TA to make the difficulties I've encountered worth it ... for me. As I said above, I fully understand that others have had different experiences and will come to different conclusions. I also don't want to sound like I'm slamming TAs; that's not my intent. I've had a couple of very good TAs over the years, and have friends who are TAs. But, the majority of my experiences have simply left me preferring to do things myself, and I have been able to find prices that are satisfactory to me. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Just now, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I've done my best to answer your question, but I'm clearly not explaining in a way that is working for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was simply responding to the OP's question and relating my own experiences, which have apparently been almost the exact opposite of yours. Fine. Our experiences inform our actions and preferences.  I've had a Princess consultant who DOES reach out to us to help us take advantage of price drops, and I've never saved enough money using a TA to make the difficulties I've encountered worth it ... for me. As I said above, I fully understand that others have had different experiences and will come to different conclusions. I also don't want to sound like I'm slamming TAs; that's not my intent. I've had a couple of very good TAs over the years, and have friends who are TAs. But, the majority of my experiences have simply left me preferring to do things myself, and I have been able to find prices that are satisfactory to me. Your mileage may vary.

OK, but I am asking the control question because I'm trying to understand what people mean about a loss of control. It seems to come down to this: some think they have more control when they can talk directly to the cruise line rather than talk to a travel agent.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  

I am not trying to convince you to use a TA. I'm trying to understand how much control and in what areas, I'm giving up by using a TA.  

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

OK, but I am asking the control question because I'm trying to understand what people mean about a loss of control. It seems to come down to this: some think they have more control when they can talk directly to the cruise line rather than talk to a travel agent.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  

I am not trying to convince you to use a TA. I'm trying to understand how much control and in what areas, I'm giving up by using a TA.  

May I chime in! Because some of us have had bad TA's ! I have found that after they get your booking they are not all that interested in answering questions or returning e-mails /phone calls! I can call princess and speak to anyone to take care of a price cut or anything else that is on my mind. If you have a TA ,you cannot do that.You have to go through the TA and if they are busy or just don't feel like answering you . You may miss a price drop or more. I don't need my hand held but expect an answer when 'I send an e-mail or call. I don't think you are wrong if you are happy with your TA then that is what you should do 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't understand it either.

and in my not so humble opinion, my 'control' is directly hearing from Princess for upgrades, upsells, move downs, and move overs … and the timeliness that you must respond to react to those emails/phone calls  … and not having to wait to see if/when a TA might forward that for your consideration

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

May I chime in! Because some of us have had bad TA's ! I have found that after they get your booking they are not all that interested in answering questions or returning e-mails /phone calls! I can call princess and speak to anyone to take care of a price cut or anything else that is on my mind. If you have a TA ,you cannot do that.You have to go through the TA and if they are busy or just don't feel like answering you . You may miss a price drop or more. I don't need my hand held but expect an answer when 'I send an e-mail or call. I don't think you are wrong if you are happy with your TA then that is what you should do 🙂

If  you have a bad TA, then fire them and get a better one.

I sympathize with the horror stories of bad TA.  However, I've read as many horror stories about the  misinformed/uninformed/untrained people the cruise lines have to answer your calls.

There are many things  you can call the cruise lines about even if you have a TA.  

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and in my not so humble opinion, my 'control' is directly hearing from Princess for upgrades, upsells, move downs, and move overs   … and the timeliness that you must respond to react to those emails/phone calls  … and not having to wait to see if/when a TA might forward that for your consideration

OK, but be aware that you're paying 10% of the cruise fare for hearing directly from Princess on upgrades, upsells, move downs, and move overs that may not happen.  My 10% discount is a sure thing, happens on every cruise.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

OK, but be aware that you're paying 10% of the cruise fare for hearing directly from Princess on upgrades, upsells, move downs, and move overs that may not happen.  My 10% discount is a sure thing, happens on every cruise.

8-12% is the "norm" on CC since everyone has the bestest TA's !!

and takes 10 day or longer cruises , many B2B2B... in club class mini's or most likely full suites multiple times a year !!

sorry, couldn't resist 🤑

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And beaware I catch more cruise  price drops than not,or new Offers IE cancel and rebook ! I know both sides of this coin.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If  you have a bad TA, then fire them and get a better one.

I sympathize with the horror stories of bad TA.  However, I've read as many horror stories about the  misinformed/uninformed/untrained people the cruise lines have to answer your calls.

There are many things  you can call the cruise lines about even if you have a TA.  

I have  ,I pulled a booking from one! Cannot find a TA that does the job I tried believe me! I agree the people who answer the phones for Princess do not know what they are talking about a good majority have never been on a ship! I know what I want ! Not my first cruise  So it is all good!

🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I have never found an agent who discounted a cruise or who could put in a group booking for less than what the cruise line was charging. Most that I was able to find was $50 OBC. 

I am always surprised when you share your experience in this regard as I know you are an experienced cruises who shares and tries to help others.  I have several TA’s that I use and they are always able to improve the cruise lines best offer by between 8-10% (sometimes less on certain cruise lines).  For Princess it is a discount and for Celebrity it is a refundable OBC.  These prices are almost never found on line or advertised.  I get them by requesting a specific quote from my TA.  Sometimes I book direct and then transfer, but other times I just book with the TA.

If we ever cruise together, I can give you a couple TA contacts and you can test it for yourself. I found both of my TAs from other CC members outside of this forum.  I suspect that you have not developed a relationship with the right one as I have turned down many TAs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect that you have not developed a relationship with the right one as I have turned down many TAs.

Yes exactly this. I have called and requested a group bookings for whatever itinerary I was looking at. The reply is always there are no group bookings for that cruise. This has been my experience across the board not just Princess. Royal Caribbean price drops are fare an few between so I am more likely to us a TA for that line if they offer something worth while like paid gratuity. There is one Online TA that offers paid gratuity on a regular basis but at the time It was already part of the cruise line package so I booked direct.

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes exactly this. I have called and requested a group bookings for whatever itinerary I was looking at. The reply is always there are no group bookings for that cruise. This has been my experience across the board not just Princess. Royal Caribbean price drops are fare an few between so I am more likely to us a TA for that line if they offer something worth while like paid gratuity. There is one Online TA that offers paid gratuity on a regular basis but at the time It was already part of the cruise line package so I booked direct.

That may explain why you do not see the savings.  I suggest you get your best deal from Princess with your group rate, OBC, etc and book direct.  After booking take your invoice with all the details and get a quote from one of the good TAs.  If they can offer you a significant savings, you can transfer the booking.  Your assumption that a TA must have a separate “group”  in order to use the internal “group” savings from Princess may not be correct. (Based on my experience)

Although a TA might be advertising free gratuities, they might give you the additional refundable OBC equivalent with a transfer. (Assuming the free gratuities is from them and not Princess)

The bottom line what I was trying to say, is book your best deal direct and then get an individual quote to transfer.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am always surprised when you share your experience in this regard as I know you are an experienced cruises who shares and tries to help others.  I have several TA’s that I use and they are always able to improve the cruise lines best offer by between 8-10% (sometimes less on certain cruise lines).  For Princess it is a discount and for Celebrity it is a refundable OBC.  These prices are almost never found on line or advertised.  I get them by requesting a specific quote from my TA.  Sometimes I book direct and then transfer, but other times I just book with the TA.

If we ever cruise together, I can give you a couple TA contacts and you can test it for yourself. I found both of my TAs from other CC members outside of this forum.  I suspect that you have not developed a relationship with the right one as I have turned down many TAs.

I agree.

55 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes exactly this. I have called and requested a group bookings for whatever itinerary I was looking at. The reply is always there are no group bookings for that cruise. 

Well, there's the  problem.  Like many others on CC you're assuming the only way a TA can offer lower prices is by group bookings.  That simply isn't the case.   A good TA will offer approximately a 10% discount or OBC regardless of group bookings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

And be aware I catch more cruise  price drops than not,or new Offers IE cancel and rebook ! I know both sides of this coin.

I usually book as soon as the cruise are released.  It's very rare I find a price drop on any of my cruises.  When I do, I can call my TA, get the cruise refared, while you're still on hold with Princess.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, there's the  problem.  Like many others on CC you're assuming the only way a TA can offer lower prices is by group bookings.  That simply isn't the case.   A good TA will offer approximately a 10% discount or OBC regardless of group bookings.

So can I ask  if there is a price drop and the TA gets it for you your OBC or perks disappear? I have had that happen or them tell me I could not get the price drop even though I know I can. I really am happy for those that found a great TA. But those of us that book direct most often know what we are doing also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

8-12% is the "norm" on CC since everyone has the bestest TA's !!

and takes 10 day or longer cruises , many B2B2B... in club class mini's or most likely full suites multiple times a year !!

sorry, couldn't resist 🤑

I'm not one of those who claims their savings in dollar amounts.  I always claim a percentage of the cruise fare so the length of the cruise, cabin class, or the number of cruises per year are not relevant.

And, no, many here on CC claim there is no such thing as a TA who discounts because they haven't been able to find one.  They can be found.  I found mine on Facebook.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I usually book as soon as the cruise are released.  It's very rare I find a price drop on any of my cruises.  When I do, I can call my TA, get the cruise refared, while you're still on hold with Princess.

I never have an issue getting a hold of Princess 30 cruises! I understand some have good TA's and I am happy for them 🙂 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

So can I ask  if there is a price drop and the TA gets it for you your OBC or perks disappear? I have had that happen or them tell me I could not get the price drop even though I know I can. I really am happy for those that found a great TA. But those of us that book direct most often know what we are doing also.

Two points.

First, my TA passes through any perks, promotions, obc, etc., offered by the cruise lines.  Her discounts are in addition to those.  She charges no fees other than those charged by the cruise lines.  There is no fee for booking with her or cancelling unless the cruise line charge a fee.  But,  yes, you can lose some perks if you refare from one promotion to another but that is also true of direct bookings.  I have found her advice useful when comparing different promotions.  When a cruise line offers a new promotion I may email her and ask her opinion on which promo might be best for me.  She responds quickly and with real numbers for comparison.  I find that to be useful to ensure I'm not overlooking something.

Second, you seem to think that one uses a TA because one needs the advice of the TA to decide on a cruise, cruise line, cabin, etc.  I used to call my TA but as I've developed respect for her, I usually just send an email, "I'm considering cruise (number), cruise line, cruise date, cabin type (and number, I'm picky about cabins), what would be my cost and what perks/promos are involved.  Normally, withing the hour, I'll have her offer.  At that point, I'll call with a credit card number.  If I have outstanding cruise credits, she will automatically apply one and there's no need for me to call.

My TA will always point out if refare will remove certain perks.  Often I find giving up certain perks to be a good deal.  Especially drink packages which are not worth all that much to me.  

Edited by RocketMan275

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Two points.

First, my TA passes through any perks, promotions, obc, etc., offered by the cruise lines.  Her discounts are in addition to those.  She charges no fees other than those charged by the cruise lines.  There is no fee for booking with her or cancelling unless the cruise line charge a fee.  But,  yes, you can lose some perks if you refare from one promotion to another but that is also true of direct bookings.  I have found her advice useful when comparing different promotions.  When a cruise line offers a new promotion I may email her and ask her opinion on which promo might be best for me.  She responds quickly and with real numbers for comparison.  I find that to be useful to ensure I'm not overlooking something.

Second, you seem to think that one uses a TA because one needs the advice of the TA to decide on a cruise, cruise line, cabin, etc.  I used to call my TA but as I've developed respect for her, I usually just send an email, "I'm considering cruise (number), cruise line, cruise date, cabin type (and number, I'm picky about cabins), what would be my cost and what perks/promos are involved.  Normally, withing the hour, I'll have her offer.  At that point, I'll call with a credit card number.  If I have outstanding cruise credits, she will automatically apply one and there's no need for me to call.

My TA will always point out if refare will remove certain perks.  Often I find giving up certain perks to be a good deal.  Especially drink packages which are not worth all that much to me.  

No I do not think if one uses A TA they need advice I have used quite a few over the years! I already had my sailing and cabin picked out!  As I said those that found a good TA I am happy for does not work for all of us ! 🙂 Happy cruising! Reason for my post are people think we don't know what we are missing if not booking with a TA there are pros and cons on both sides! 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't use a TA to book airlines and hotels.  I book those directly.  I'm willing to deal through a TA because I can save hundreds of dollars each cruise. 

Same here.  I don't feel that much control is lost with using a TA - and it is certainly worth it financially.  I can deal directly with Princess using my Personalizer, or any other questions/issues that are not fare or payment related.