Cruise ships refused permission to visit ports outside Asia

3 hours ago, avalon007 said:

Currently only ships leaving from US ports I think for Royal, but give it time.....

Ovation is due to go to Alaska/Canada after her Sydney stint, but Canada banned all cruise ships until July 1st, so who knows if she along with Spectrum will stay In Australia now? (unless US suspends Jones law)

But does our Gov's ban on unnecessary gatherings over 500 people apply to cruises out of Sydney or are they exempt since they are not Australian vessels?   

He said it doesn't apply to "airports, public transport and things of that nature" so would probably fall under that.

3 hours ago, avalon007 said:

(unless US suspends Jones law)

I know I'm being picky, but what you mean is the Passenger Vessel Services Act. People tend to incorrectly cite the Jones Act, usually thinking they are the same thing or that the Jones Act encompasses the rules of the PVSA, but they are not and do not.

26 minutes ago, ivanp91 said:

I know I'm being picky, but what you mean is the Passenger Vessel Services Act. People tend to incorrectly cite the Jones Act, usually thinking they are the same thing or that the Jones Act encompasses the rules of the PVSA, but they are not and do not.

Just quoting an article from cruise Critic - that's what they called it - so maybe let them know they have it wrong if it concerns you. 🙂 

" With Canada out of the picture until July 1, big-ship cruises from U.S. ports to Alaska could effectively be terminated as well, barring any relaxing in Jones Act regulations by the U.S. federal government.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5190/?et_cid=3320081&et_rid=40008568&et_referrer=Party - Celebrity

14 minutes ago, tangogulf said:

NZ just banned cruise ships from midnight  Mar 14th to end if June. Wow. Doubt there will be any transpacifics going ahead given French Polynesia’s position as well. 

Everyone entering New Zealand will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days. Here is an article.

Edited by By The Bay

4 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

From Donald J Trump's twitter account 3 hours ago

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!

Must be official then.

A few hundred Aussies stuck in Argentina/Ushaia on their Antarctic Expedition cruises, about 3 ships in the area.  My son's company  charter - 'Ocean Atlantic' with 130 pax, mostly Aussies, has been refused entry to Stanley in the Falklands and was scheduled to end the trip at Puerto Madryn.   Argentina apparently closes its ports and airports in a couple of days.  Might be another Diamond Princess type evacuation.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, NSWP said:

A few hundred Aussies stuck in Argentina/Ushaia on their Antarctic Expedition cruises, about 3 ships in the area.  My son's company  charter - 'Ocean Atlantic' with 130 pax, mostly Aussies, has been refused entry to Stanley in the Falklands and was scheduled to end the trip at Puerto Madryn.   Argentina apparently closes its ports and airports in a couple of days.  Might be another Diamond Princess type evacuation.

Was Ocean Atlantic starting its voyage via Falklands or was Stanley its last port prior to its voyage end at Puerto Madryn?  I hope all ships get clearance so passengers can return home.  What an end to such a once in a lifetime cruise to Antarctica!

When our ship arrived back in Ushaia from Antarctica, the Captain had trouble getting approval for passengers to disembark.  I heard frantic discussions re bottle of alcohol as a deal sweetener - had already been gifted to no avail - then they got a guy in greasy overalls up from the Engine Room who spoke the language and much to our relief and waiting charter flight we were off!! 

So my empathy is with the officers and passengers on board.  

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Was Ocean Atlantic starting its voyage via Falklands or was Stanley its last port prior to its voyage end at Puerto Madryn?  I hope all ships get clearance so passengers can return home.  What an end to such a once in a lifetime cruise to Antarctica!

When our ship arrived back in Ushaia from Antarctica, the Captain had trouble getting approval for passengers to disembark.  I heard frantic discussions re bottle of alcohol as a deal sweetener - had already been gifted to no avail - then they got a guy in greasy overalls up from the Engine Room who spoke the language and much to our relief and waiting charter flight we were off!! 

So my empathy is with the officers and passengers on board.  

Not sure,  the industry is in turmoil.

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not sure,  the industry is in turmoil.

The current situation will affect your son's business. The only bright side I suppose is that it is now around the end of the Antarctic 'season' and hopefully, by the time we get to the next season, the covid-19 will be just an unpleasant memory. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The Braemar has been floating around the Caribbean being refused entry with at least 5 confirmed cases. 

Cuba has allowed them in, treating to cases and screening everyone else

How lucky are the passengers on Fred.Olsen's Braemar!  Cuba has some of the best doctors in the world.  I hope people remember Cuba's generosity and support Cuba by visiting in the future.  

• Like 1

CHILE has closed its borders to cruise ships.  107 Aussies, 10 Kiwis, 2 Brits and 1 Dane are stuck on HURTIGRUTEN'S Roald Amundsen, which was due to disembark passengers at Punta Arenas.

I think Celebrity Eclipse and Azamara Pursuit also trying to get into Santiago for disembarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

19 hours ago, teamflames said:

I think Celebrity Eclipse and Azamara Pursuit also trying to get into Santiago for disembarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read on Azamara section of CC from those on board Azamara Pursuit that they are going to Miami now, ETA 30 March, but that could change any minute.   

My son's company has clients stuck in places like Cusco, Lima, Chile, Brazil, Argentina  and around the Antarctic.  No flights in or out of Peru currently.  A very stressful situation right now for the travel industry, company owners and staff alike and that is 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I read on Azamara section of CC from those on board Azamara Pursuit that they are going to Miami now, ETA 30 March, but that could change any minute.   

My son's company has clients stuck in places like Cusco, Lima, Chile, Brazil, Argentina  and around the Antarctic.  No flights in or out of Peru currently.  A very stressful situation right now for the travel industry, company owners and staff alike and that is 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak.

Could they get the chicken bus into Chile or Ecuador, so that they can get out?

Even people on land travel in South America are experiencing problems.  A group of 10 brave Aussie women in Peru are having to travel to Bolivia to try to get home, as Peru is closing their borders. 

Virgin is no longer flying overseas however management said they intend to get all Aussies home!

(Today's Good news Travelzoo arranged for a full refund on three days accommodation booked through them in Melbourne - terms no cancellation, no transfer, no refunds.  Well done Travelzoo.  Now I have to cancel Virgin and Qantas on line, which are not charging change fees and giving vouchers, which can then be used to book replacement flights.  Well done Virgin and Qantas.)

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

As an add on , Kiwis overseas are being advised to return home now .......while they can.

And Australians.  World gone mad.  If you read it in a novel you would be thinking sci fi.