Cunard Reviews

BigMac1953

You could easily come to the conclusion that Cunard has six ships, three good ones, and three bad ones, judging by the reviews.

I just caught up on the various "down under" season reviews and found it amazing that there are so many conflicting reviews of each cruise. Quite a few stated that they will never sail with Cunard again.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I've only ever sailed on the good three ships (and QE2) and in 24 trips, never experienced "tough as leather" meat and poultry, or rude staff, or snobbish people, or bad service, or lack of food choice. 

Many also complain about the entertainment, or lack of, with one moaning about the price of such things as the watercolour classes. Strange, because the art classes are free.

One complained that all the pax (except them) were over 75, so that spoilt their holiday. What nonsense.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'll stick to the good ships.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, if you don't know the difference between a sirloin and a strip steak you could find yourself disappointed with a steak but that could happen anywhere.

Art classes are free but there is a $35 (horrors!) charge for the supplies if you didn't bring the kit you bought last time. All reports are that the kit is worth $35.

We are going on QV later in the year for my birthday and I have read and watched lots of reviews and videos. I take them all with a pinch of salt and think you can spot the moaners and whingers instantly, they would find fault with anything and everything. We intend to go with an open mind and enjoy the Cunard experience, we were also hoping this Spring to try P&O but that's on a back burner for now until this virus business sorts itself out. My grocery delivery man just told me he took 42 bottles of handwash to a lady before he brought my usual delivery!!!🙄 Hopefully by time November comes ..........🙏🤞 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
  • Like 1

I accept reviews are a reflection of people's experience, and that different people have widely different tastes. What does annoy me is reviews which contain factual inaccuracies, sometimes apparently out of malice. It is a shame that there is no way of correcting this. For instance, I have read complaints that the food in the Lido is the same every day. I don't eat there, but have noticed, when passing through, there is a clearly different menu displayed for lunch and dinner each day, and yet this lie is perpetrated that it never changes.

• Like 2

Why is it that the fussy buggers who only eat plain food seem to think that everyone has a similar opinion? Just because a menu isn't to your taste doesn't mean others aren't enjoying the menu. No need to ask 'what are Cunard playing at?' in your review just because you won't try new things or because the buffet has too much fruit(!). 

• Like 4

I'm with you, Big Mac. We have only ever been on the good ships too. And we love them. I have read reviews of cruises we have been on and wonder just how it is possible to experience something so completely differently!

2bacruiser, you have the right attitude and I am certain you will love QV, our favourite ship. I am hoping to be on her in 8 weeks, virus permitting. And I expect to have a wonderful time, with the usual high standard of food and plenty of varied entertainment that we always find.

• Like 3

A review is very subjective as it is some ones personal opinion.

I am on the cruise 1st April Cape Town to Southampton, I will make opinions known on our return.

I have read the ship looks rusty and some cabins look tired, not surprising for a ship about to go into refit.  Having cruised on QV in October I have noticed the general standard of Cunard had dropped, my upcoming cruise will be our sixth with Cunard, I will reserve judgement, if five star service is not applied I will think of moving to Silverer seas / Regent etc.  Have booked direct for Table Mountain and Robben Island 30% cheaper than a ship tour.

Let's hope the cruise is still on?

Food is very subjective.  But I find it universally good on the Cunard ships I have been on.  Sometimes a dish is a "miss" and sometimes unexpectedly good.  If you get a "miss" one can always ask for something else.

I'm American, so some of the dishes on Cunard I am not even familiar with as the names are unrecognizable.  But upon trying some, they have always been appetizing.  I'm fairly adventurous when eating and I like all types of cuisine.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of the US where there is a large variety of ethnic foods and excellent restaurants of all types.  I eat out a lot and have an expense account budget so I really understand what is well prepared food and good service.

Many people complaining about tough beef order it well done.

3 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Food is very subjective.  But I find it universally good on the Cunard ships I have been on.  Sometimes a dish is a "miss" and sometimes unexpectedly good.  If you get a "miss" one can always ask for something else.

I'm American, so some of the dishes on Cunard I am not even familiar with as the names are unrecognizable.  But upon trying some, they have always been appetizing.  I'm fairly adventurous when eating and I like all types of cuisine.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of the US where there is a large variety of ethnic foods and excellent restaurants of all types.  I eat out a lot and have an expense account budget so I really understand what is well prepared food and good service.

Many people complaining about tough beef order it well done.

I'm a kiwi and I didn't recognize some of the names - and I have some French!   And sometimes the names didn't match the food - I nearly ordered what  I thought was a prawn starter  with a gazpacho sauce - turned out to be a cold soup with one prawn - the waiter warned me.  So I think some  of the menu writers need to be more closely associated with the chefs!  

I'm not a fan of beef - but lamb is easy to over-cook -and I ordered it multiple times and it was perfect -they correctly didn't ask how the lamb should be done and it was always medium rare to perfection.  

I did miss proper Chinese and Indian food though - shame them don't do  some non European food in the MDR

Ships rust. It's an inescapable consequence of steel floating in salt water. What they can do is clean and paint, clean and paint... There are some areas, such as the interior of a sheltered balcony, that get painted less often than, say, the exterior hull near the waterline. So rust can be more visible from within your balcony than it might be from a further distance. 

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Ships rust. It's an inescapable consequence of steel floating in salt water. What they can do is clean and paint, clean and paint... There are some areas, such as the interior of a sheltered balcony, that get painted less often than, say, the exterior hull near the waterline. So rust can be more visible from within your balcony than it might be from a further distance. 

No rust  in our interior room on the QE!  Saw plenty of painting going on on deck though early morning - I imagine that happens all the time though 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Saw plenty of painting going on on deck though early morning - I imagine that happens all the time though 

On QM2's promenade hey have wooden chests that hold cushions for the deck chairs. One of the deck crew's jobs when I was on over Christmas was to sand down and revarnish the chests.

8 hours ago, lissie said:

I did miss proper Chinese and Indian food though - shame them don't do  some non European food in the MDR

This is an interesting indication of how much the menus change, even though they always seem to stay the same. On our Med. cruise in September, within the first few days, we were offered

Curried orange roughy

Asian style chicken broth

chickpea, spinach and coconu curry

Thai red chicken curry

Tandoori tofu

Vegetarian pad Thai

Paneer biryani

Thai chicken and coconut soup

Malaysia chilli chicken.

Ive no idea how authentic these were, but given the number of Asian.chefs, they probably were reasonably so.

I also find it strange that a trip can be so good for some and so bad for others. I have also found this to be true while on board. On my last trip while eating in their equivalent of the Queens Grill I commented that the food was like that of a well known chain restaurant here in the US while the other person felt we were having gourmet Italian food. A persons opinion of everything from service, food and entertainment is based on their history and culture. When I go on a new line I read the best and worst and figure the truth is some ware in the middle.

• Like 1

I've noticed first-and-last kinds of reviews from people who seemed deeply loyal to other lines.  I discount those.  And I totally disregard complaints about the dress code.  I'm more worried by reports of badly cooked food; that should be fairly objective.  We also prefer service that is attentive  but not overly social.  Some people might might see that as indifferent. 

Ah rust!  A couple of years ago I did a transatlantic and I had a balcony cabin on deck 11 towards the aft.  Now “the wall” (for lack of a better word) that divides the back open decks from the superstructure  was a brilliant white (and of course punctuated by the black “stripes”).   Over the course of the 7 days you could see the rust forming and tarnishing the white.  By the time of arrival in Southampton you would have thought it had not been painted in years yet only 7 days before it was perfect.  Travelling back a week later it had all been touched up.  So all in all “rust” happens!