“Cruise With Confidence”- cancellations up to 48 hours before sailing

dkjretired

5 minutes ago, Buckeye94 said:

Agreed, it's a gamble.  At this point, I'm in the 60-31 day 75% cancellation fee window, so I have the rest of this month to cancel and get anything back as CC Cash refund.  As we've seen a whole lot can change between now and then!  My other (first world, poor me, can't believe I'm going write this) "problem" is that I would need to use the FCC on a cruise this year.  I only have so many vacation days from work, and family has a big trip planned for next year.  Not many itineraries that I'm as excited about that I could use the credit on.  I'm sure it will all work itself out.  Talking cruises and vacations is a nice distraction from my 401k!

You have until the end of 2021 to cruise. You have to book by the end of 2020. 

Did anyone complete the form through Costco to cancel their celebrity cruise?

If so how long did it take to get response? Do you still need to talk to an agent or is the form sufficient.

Thanks for the info

29 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

You have until the end of 2021 to cruise. You have to book by the end of 2020. 

You aren't the first to post that bookings have to be made by the end of 2020, but nowhere in the initial press release from RCCL or in Celebrity's subsequent Cruise With Confidence webpage, its FAQ, and the listed Terms and Conditions, is there any mention of a booking date limitation. Are you simply repeating what you've seen in other posts, or can you point out something I might have missed on the RCCL or Celebrity websites?

Celeb deal seems  better than Norwegian.. met someone today who is cancelling a May cruise on GEM, and is expecting future cruise credit for full amt, no $ back on card..She has not done it yet but that is what she expects!

When first Certifs are actually received from Celebrity we can compare.  Has anyine rec'd their actual certif yet?  We are still waiting,....

Edited by hcat

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You aren't the first to post that bookings have to be made by the end of 2020, but nowhere in the initial press release from RCCL or in Celebrity's subsequent Cruise With Confidence webpage, its FAQ, and the listed Terms and Conditions, is there any mention of a booking date limitation. Are you simply repeating what you've seen in other posts, or can you point out something I might have missed on the RCCL or Celebrity websites?

Terms & Conditions

The “Cruise with Confidence” program allows individual and guests in non-contracted groups booked on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea (“RCCL”) to cancel up to 48 hours up to the scheduled departure of the cruise. The “Cruise with Confidence” program applies only to guests sailing on or before July 31, 2020, excluding bookings made by residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. If the guest opts for the “Cruise with Confidence” program, and cancels their cruise, a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) will be issued for the amounts paid to the cruise line. The FCC is non transferrable and may not be redeemed for cash. The FCC certificate’s value may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking on the brand originally purchased. All bookings are subject to availability at the time of the request. Any booking made using the FCC must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021. If not used on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value. Restrictions may apply on stateroom category and applicable pricing and promotions. Guest will remain responsible for paying the applicable deposit amounts, taxes/fees, port expenses and gratuities for the new booking. RCCL reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions at any time without prior notice or liability. Offer can be withdrawn without notice. ©2020 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships’ registry: Malta and Ecuador.

I agree, I only see that you must set sail by December 31st, 2021

While I have no intention of cancelling our May cruise, at this point, I realize that it may not be up to me. We're on the first sailing after Solstice makes her way from Australia Vancouver, & a lot could happen between now & then.   

If Celebrity has to cancel (or substantially modify our cruise)  which was booked entirely for its unique Alaska itinerary, then we will take the FCC & apply it towards next years Adriatic cruise.  Hope this is not what happens.  

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

My TA told me. She may be mistaken as we canceled within hours of the change. 

12 hours ago, POPDISPLAY said:

Due to concerns for my wife's underlying asthma and her Dr's direction to her to avoid cruising during this soon to be pandemic, we cancelled on Thursday while there was still 30 days and a 25% refund available.

Is Celebrity going to screw us out of the remaining 75%?

The Cruise With Confidence policy was announced by RCCL on Friday, March 6: https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/72/royal-caribbean-group-adopts-ldquocruise-with-confidencerdquo-policy-allowing-cancellations-up-to-48-hours-before-sailing/?fbclid=IwAR1mh848jxvtQExhlng9v6kYQzX8_R-GPmQBGThtAhr-ADaFyJruGmKqbwM

Celebrity subsequently added a Cruise With Confidence webpage with details on how the policy is to be applied: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-with-confidence

In your case, cancellation was made before the new policy was implemented. Consequently, you cancelled under the policy in force at the time, which included a 75% penalty, as per the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to at the time you made your booking. Consequently, it's not accurate to portray Celebrity as screwing you, as they were simply following the agreed upon terms.

Had you waited another couple of days, you would have received an FCC in the total amount of your booking. You didn't know that, nor did the TA or Celebrity employee who actioned the cancellation on you behalf. Given the circumstances, an appeal to Celebrity now might result in them recalculating the cancellation based on the new policy, purely as a courtesy.  

If you purchase an item that goes on sale the following day, the store is under no obligation to give you a refund on the higher price, and Celebrity is under no obligation to change a 25% refund to a 100% FCC for you. Just keep that in mind should you choose to seek a change. Accusing them of screwing you won't get you very far, methinks.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hammo said:

... I have sent emails with questions regarding such to TA -cc - and hope to receive a reply sooner rather than later . The companies fine print has a cancellation policy of $US50 per person so I guess we just wear that . Do they issue the FCC or does Celebrity ?

I called our TA for information, we have not yet determined whether we are cancelling - but must decide by tonight (we are due to fly out Wednesday night)...

If you used the same TA as us, concerning the $50 cxl fee/pp - they are charging it - but it will be returned as a voucher to be used on a future booking...

On a separate note - I also spoke w/ Celebrity/Choice Air:

We have the refundable tickets w/ cancellation fee...

If we cancel the cruise, we will receive 100% return of funds to our credit card

If we were just to cancel the flight (for whatever reason) - there would be a cancellation fee.

If you have flights w/ Celebrity/Choice Air:

You must cancel your flights 48 Hours in advance of your first flight...

Edited by Von & John

New poster here. I have a RC Cruise that we just cancelled through Costco travel and I wanted to see if anyone has done this process as well? I went through their site after the cruise with confidence notice, and got some generic ‘cancelled’ email with a wierd amount that does not really match anything. Does anybody have any updates on their cancelling experience like timelines of credits, how they get you the FCC, etc. thanks in advance

Edited by ArtofRam

6 minutes ago, ArtofRam said:

New poster here. I have a RC Cruise that we just cancelled through Costco travel and I wanted to see if anyone has done this process as well? I went through their site after the cruise with confidence notice, and got some generic ‘cancelled’ email with a wierd amount that does not really match anything. Does anybody have any updates on their cancelling experience like timelines of credits, how they get you the FCC, etc. thanks in advance

ARTOFRAM

You should read all the posts here. Many folks provided valuable info.

I posted this several days ago  ...

Just wanted to return the favor ... after many folks contributed to my understanding via this bulletin board.

After spending about 6 hours on several attempts to get through to Costco Travel ... as they were having phone issues, and Celebrity was also backed up when Costco called them. I can now share what I learned. I just cancelled 5 B2B trips.

I can clarify many questions. My non-refundable deposits went to FCC. Port charges and Taxes went to CC for refund. The normal cancellation penalty, if applicable, ie. 25%, 50%% or 75%, went to FCC. The remainder went to a CC refund. I did not have Celebrity insurance but asked and was told, the insurance charge would be lost. There was no charge by this particular travel agent. Although it is true, you can cancel, under the Cruise With Confidence program up to 48 hours before, the closer you get to sailing, the greater the monies to a Future Cruise Credit. I think the chance of Celebrity going bankrupt is slim, it is to your advantage, if you feel you will probably cancel, it is advantageous to cancel sooner rather than later. Also, in the fine print, Celebrity notes they could withdraw this offer at any time. If exponentially more people take this offer, than expected, Celebrity might withdraw it. Based on the fact that it took me 6 hours to cancel, many folks might be doing same. 

Thanks again to Celebrity, and Cruisecritic Board. Celebrity could add examples to their FAQ to help folks understand some of the details. This Board help fill the void. 

My advice ... if you are a senior citizen like me, and or have serious health conditions, this offer from Celebrity is something you should seriously consider. As there is no way to confirm an infected individual does not make it onto the ship, it only takes 1 infected individual not showing symptoms to get onto the ship. Look at the ship off California, they will not let the 21 individuals off the ship until everyone is tested. This could happen on other ships and probably will. Countries will be challenged to handle such large numbers on cruise ships. If I were young without health issues, it might be worth the gamble to cruise, especially at a discounted fare. Since I am not, I am very grateful Celebrity offered this temporary flexible cancellation program. 

Thanks. I did read this and it is helpful. My confusion came from Costco’s email to me confirming the cancellation. There is no mention of next steps, credits or anything so I guess I do not know if it is a what and see sort of thing or do I need to pursue more.  

I also cancelled through Costco travel today and got an amount of FCC that does not make sense. I have been on phone with Costco for almost an hour while they are on hold with Celebrity Cruise Lines. When I find out. I will post my answer.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, sdc1127 said:

Did anyone complete the form through Costco to cancel their celebrity cruise?

If so how long did it take to get response? Do you still need to talk to an agent or is the form sufficient.

Thanks for the info

Yes andd it only took a few hours. The priority is by the date of your cruise.

8 minutes ago, mrsldavis said:

Can we rebook using the FCC with any travel agent or does it have to be with the same travel agent or only directly through celebrity?

Same TA, different TA or Celebrity. Your choice.

37 minutes ago, ArtofRam said:

Thanks condogirl

ArtOf Ram & CondoGirl

I cancelled 5 B2B cruises through Costco. The breakdown as explained to me made perfect sense. See my email. It balanced to penny. Of course I dealt with agent personally not via email. Agent told me it could take 10-14 business days to get CC refund. Not sure about FCC. On this website, it says FCC goes to your loyalty account somehow. Costco gave me conf numbers, said everything is documented but be patient with CC refunds ... will be significantly t delay due to backlog. I'm sure my entry above should be helpful to you as we both used Costco.

Thanks John474. That is very helpful as well. Part of me wishes I actually called and was able to get through instead of the website just so I could ask additional questions but your information above was definitely helpful

I did the Costco online form cancellation on Sunday, and yesterday (Monday), I got email from Costco that my cruise is cancelled.   I don't know if I am getting 25% back in FCC with 75% credit card refund OR 100% FCC.   According to the other thread here, Celebrity changed their refund policy and they don't do partial cash refund any more with Cruise with Confidence.  If that took effect yesterday then I guess I will be getting 100% FCC.

Before “cruise with confidence” Was announced, my cruise was on the list of those that the final payment date was pushed back to 60 days before sail (March 31st). Does anyone know if the cruise with confidence supersedes the 60 day final payment? I’ve tried calling Costco several times but they are so backed up and unfortunately with my work schedule I haven’t been able to actually get through. With 13 hour work days, it’s difficult for me to find enough time to wait for a rep 😥

John474 and ArtofRam. After 3 hours on hold with Costco, the agent I have been working with is going home and another agent is suppose to call me back tonight. The Celebrity line that was on hold was disconnected. My cancellation was 5 days before the cruise starts, so I have always been in the full 100% FCC. There is an $842 difference between what I paid and what my actual FCC is, less the taxes and fees. The Costco agent did tell me that sometimes the refund can go through differently and Celebrity will correct it. I just want an answer, preferably tonight, since this is an ever changing situation. I have a feeling though, I may not get that call back tonight. Costco is extremely busy and overwhelmed, but trying to help.

I canceled on line with Costco on Saturday for my March 15 cruise from Sydney. On Friday, I was told by Lisa Perloff’s office that I would get a credit card refund for my Flights by Celebrity airfare as well as port fees, taxes and prepaid excursions. The actual cost of the cruise would come in a FCC. Looking at the website just now, it’s very confusing concerning the Flights by Celebrity airfare.

When I booked the airfare, I was told that if I canceled the flights between final payment and the day of the flight, there would be a $200 charge per person.

Can anyone shed any light on this?