Jump to content

“Cruise With Confidence”- cancellations up to 48 hours before sailing


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, I suspect you might be right, although I question how many people they thought were going to book and then cancel cruises within that short time span given the current situation. I really find the lack of writing skills by the cruise lines to be appalling. A simple edit would eliminate any confusion.

I cancelled my May 30th cruise on Apex out of Rome yesterday. FCC of $125 the remainder all back to my credit card.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, I suspect you might be right, although I question how many people they thought were going to book and then cancel cruises within that short time span given the current situation. I really find the lack of writing skills by the cruise lines to be appalling. A simple edit would eliminate any confusion.

 

Fouremco. Thanks for the Thanks. I agree Celebrity could do a better job expanding the FAQ's.  They could partly do this by providing the most common cases as examples. If they used various cases, with sample numbers, many of us, would not have to wait hours to either Celebrity or Travel Agent to FULLY understand the terms of their offer.  They should have queried some passengers about their questions, and field tested the policy and  FAQ.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my take overall. I just watched someone on TV, who tested positive for Corona Virus several times. She was older but was lucky, she had no significant symptoms, also she had no fever. She was quarantined. This is the greatest risk now with cruises. Someone could be infected, and still get on a cruise. They could then easily pass the Corona Virus onto passengers that are older, that have underlying health conditions or have greater risk. If this happens, ship could be quarantined, and countries might not be prepared to quarantine so many folks and treat those with major issues. 

Celebrity's policy is good. Many older .... or higher risk passengers will cancel. The average age of passengers on the cruise ships in the next few months will go down. Prices will go down, I suspect younger passengers will increasingly take a small risk if they get a great cruise price.Younger passengers do not have much of a risk. Some of the rooms may go empty. The greater risk for younger passengers is you might get quarantined, or lose a bunch of ports.

Given there is no way to make sure with 100% level of confidence, that infected individuals showing no symptoms, are prevented from getting on the ship, I don't  think it is prudent for senior citizens to cruise, or younger passengers with serious health issues. The CDC recommends that those over 60, try to stay home more, and not go to events with large groups. In effect, without directly saying it, the CDC is advising those over 60, and or those with serious health conditions, NOT to take a cruise.

I am very happy that Celebrity has revised their policy. In the next few months, I believe it will reduce risk by reducing the number of older passengers and folks with serious health conditions on their ships.

A WIN WIN.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I cancelled my May 30th cruise on Apex out of Rome yesterday. FCC of $125 the remainder all back to my credit card.  

 

DRAKE2. Thanks. Your May 30 cruise is about 84 days away. Why wasn't 25% of cruise fare applied to FCC, assuming it was 7 or more days in length?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hcat said:

Personal decision making.. everyone has that right!

 

Hope thread does not go off topic for rants..either way!

Will find out what happens later today as we are cancelling 2 cruises - keeping others. DW has asthma and nebulizes daily. Saw our doctor about getting meds for our trip and he said clearly not to go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

 

DRAKE2. Thanks. Your May 30 cruise is about 84 days away. Why wasn't 25% of cruise fare applied to FCC, assuming it was 7 or more days in length?

Initially it was 25% FCC 75% refund to my card. I made final payment February 28th next day cancellation policy was 60 days out. I pointed that out to them and they agreed to refund.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

*So* very grateful that this policy was instituted. We're supposed to be on a 5 day Apr. 25 Celebrity Pacific Northwest sailing from SEATTLE OF ALL PLACES.😷

We planned this as a couples getaway leaving our child with her grandparents. We were initially excited by this idea, but after everything going on, its been giving us an overall feeling of dread to think that we could potentially be separated from her for a much longer period.  

Thank you Celebrity!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

I believe it will reduce risk by reducing the number of older passengers and folks with serious health conditions on their ships.

Maybe. But look at the Grand Princess, where 19 of 21 people testing positive were crew members, typically younger in age. Also, as I noted yesterday on another thread, Germany has an older population than Italy, yet it has had far fewer confirmed cases. While the mortality rate might be higher among seniors, particularly those with pre-existing health issues, I've not seen evidence of a higher infection rate. Consequently, while there may well be fewer seniors aboard moving forward, that won't necessarily mean that the ships will be any safer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadians who are seniors are being advised by the health authorities to consider their cruise plans very carefully noting that options for care become limited when an event occurs on a cruise ship. Choose carefully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, amypet said:

*So* very grateful that this policy was instituted. We're supposed to be on a 5 day Apr. 25 Celebrity Pacific Northwest sailing from SEATTLE OF ALL PLACES.😷

We planned this as a couples getaway leaving our child with her grandparents. We were initially excited by this idea, but after everything going on, its been giving us an overall feeling of dread to think that we could potentially be separated from her for a much longer period.  

Thank you Celebrity!

We're on that cruise and the 11 night after it. No way am I cancelling. If Celebrity still goes, we're going.  The Seattle cases were largely contained in a nursing home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Maybe. But look at the Grand Princess, where 19 of 21 people testing positive were crew members, typically younger in age. Also, as I noted yesterday on another thread, Germany has an older population than Italy, yet it has had far fewer confirmed cases. While the mortality rate might be higher among seniors, particularly those with pre-existing health issues, I've not seen evidence of a higher infection rate. Consequently, while there may well be fewer seniors aboard moving forward, that won't necessarily mean that the ships will be any safer. 

Yes, true, and the vast majority of sick younger people have minor or no symptoms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flying is for Planes said:


Actually NO. The cruise line wrote me and avised that because I am a Doctor and will have been in contact with coronavirus patients in the 14 day period prior to the cruise that I am automatically denied boarding. They also advised of a 100% REFUND. Accordingly I am within my rights to charge back.

image.png.d313872a7aea6c502f4e30112c76bd87.png
 

Uh, how do they know you are a doctor? I’m a doctor and they don’t know that.

 I work in a very low risk environment - so I certainly wouldn’t volunteer that info to the cruise company, it would be too hard to explain what I do and why my risk isn’t that high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, i-m-ed said:

Oh, okay then you were in contact with a known carrier.  That makes sense and generally applies to anyone having had contact with someone known to be infected.  I interpreted your initial post as saying you were denied because you were a doctor (edit) and may have had contact.  Fortunately we haven't had any known cases yet but screening tents are being readied at her place of employment.

Ah, I see now, missed the second post. I wondered.

i would never knowingly expose people had I been caring for or exposed to a patient, but I would not automatically cancel the trip because I’m a physician, my risk is own slightly higher than anyone else’s- I do set foot in a hospital building every day, but that’s about it.

 

By the time my risk goes up, we will be beyond the quarantined phase, everyone will have to assume exposure - we don’t quarantine people for the flu

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Uh, how do they know you are a doctor? I’m a doctor and they don’t know that.

 I work in a very low risk environment - so I certainly wouldn’t volunteer that info to the cruise company, it would be too hard to explain what I do and why my risk isn’t that high.

 

I got the same e-mail and I am not a doctor. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, orangedec10 said:

Just a thought....I wonder if any sailings will have so many cancellations that the cruise will be canceled all together? Like how occupied must the ship be to sail?

 

I don't know.  I went to the Port of Miami web cam to look at Scarlett Lady (just arrived today).  The port looked like it's  hopping.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@hcat, can you clarify a point for me? Was your Jan 2021 cruise already booked and did Celebrity let you apply the FCC to the existing booking?

 

The reason I ask is because I originally understood that FCC's could be applied to both new and existing bookings, based on this wording from the RCCL press release yesterday:

 

The “Cruise With Confidence” policy allows guests on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea to cancel up to 48 hours before a sailing. Guests will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of the guest’s choice in 2020 or 2021. The policy applies to both new and existing cruise bookings. (emphasis added)

 

On the other hand, the Term and Conditions listed on Celebrity's Cruise With Confidence webpage says that the FCC can only be used for new bookings:

 

The FCC certificate’s value may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking on the brand originally purchased. 

 

 

Rep clearly said it can be applied to our  Jan 2021  already booked cruised.  If it turns out it can't m we'll  book something else for the permitted period just to use it up..maybe a 5 day trip.  Guess we'll only know  for sure when the  certificate comes through..

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hcat said:

Rep clearly said it can be applied to our  Jan 2021  already booked cruised.  If it turns out it can't m we'll  book something else for the permitted period just to use it up..maybe a 5 day trip.  Guess we'll only know  for sure when the  certificate comes through..

 

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

I printed out the Press Release...just in case the lines blur away from generosity!

Thanks for the quick reply. And the additional laugh.

 

We are 36 days out, so will cancel in the next few days and hope that we can use the FCC for an existing booking for next March. If not, we could opt for a short cruise, but I also want to look at the possibility of cancelling the existing cruise and booking a new one so as to use the FCC. Prices, perks and other considerations to ponder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

Does this “cruise with confidence “ deal of up to 48 hours, apply to all of RCIs companies listed in the press release, including Pullmantur?

 

No, the press release states:

 

The “Cruise With Confidence” policy allows guests on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea to cancel up to 48 hours before a sailing.

 

Pullmantur is only mentioned in a paragraph describing what Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

 

Thanks for the quick reply. And the additional laugh.

 

We are 36 days out, so will cancel in the next few days and hope that we can use the FCC for an existing booking for next March. If not, we could opt for a short cruise, but I also want to look at the possibility of cancelling the existing cruise and booking a new one so as to use the FCC. Prices, perks and other considerations to ponder.

Sounds like a good plan!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to return the favor ... after many folks contributed to my understanding via this bulletin board.

After spending about 6 hours on several attempts to get through to Costco Travel ... as they were having phone issues, and Celebrity was also backed up when Costco called them. I can now share what I learned. I just cancelled 5 B2B trips.

I can clarify many questions. My non-refundable deposits went to FCC. Port charges and Taxes went to CC for refund. The normal cancellation penalty, if applicable, ie. 25%, 50%% or 75%, went to FCC. The remainder went to a CC refund. I did not have Celebrity insurance but asked and was told, the insurance charge would be lost. There was no charge by this particular travel agent. Although it is true, you can cancel, under the Cruise With Confidence program up to 48 hours before, the closer you get to sailing, the greater the monies to a Future Cruise Credit. I think the chance of Celebrity going bankrupt is slim, it is to your advantage, if you feel you will probably cancel, it is advantageous to cancel sooner rather than later. Also, in the fine print, Celebrity notes they could withdraw this offer at any time. If exponentially more people take this offer, than expected, Celebrity might withdraw it. Based on the fact that it took me 6 hours to cancel, many folks might be doing same. 

Thanks again to Celebrity, and Cruisecritic Board. Celebrity could add examples to their FAQ to help folks understand some of the details. This Board help fill the void. 

My advice ... if you are a senior citizen like me, and or have serious health conditions, this offer from Celebrity is something you should seriously consider. As there is no way to confirm an infected individual does not make it onto the ship, it only takes 1 infected individual not showing symptoms to get onto the ship. Look at the ship off California, they will not let the 21 individuals off the ship until everyone is tested. This could happen on other ships and probably will. Countries will be challenged to handle such large numbers on cruise ships. If I were young without health issues, it might be worth the gamble to cruise, especially at a discounted fare. Since I am not, I am very grateful Celebrity offered this temporary flexible cancellation program. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For people aged under maybe 50, I'd say for the majority, then Corona Virus is a non event. They may experience a bad cold, a sniffle or just be a bit unwell. Or nothing!

 

But that isn't the issue for authorities at all. This virus is quite lethal to those aged 60 plus, not fatal to most but lethal and can require significant public health management to save them. Intensive Care. Ventilation. Quite simply, there is no medical system in the world that could cope with corona if it becomes widespread too quickly for this vulnerable group. And everything now is all about containment to prevent public health being swamped. And if that fails, then some kind of controlled release. It will eventually get to the latter stage but what we are doing now is try slow down that process so that every 'real at risk person' doesn't require medical intervention at the same time. It can't happen. 
 

We will most likely cancel but not yet. Our cruise is a Med Cruise from Italy. Mostly Italy. Malta and two Greek ports. I cannot see that in anyway the cruise can touch any of those ports. We aren't scared of the virus but the issues surrounding containment. Still have some time on our hands to decide. But I think Celebrity might have to cancel it. 

Edited by Pushka
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...