NCLH Stock Price

Hrhbob

59 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

You're correct that the trip interruption/cancellation benefit on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum cards doesn't cover insolvency.  I'm not sure about others but would assume the same.  However, that doesn't absolve the card issuer from the Fair Credit Billing Act.  So if NCL went belly-up within 60 days of your payment, you can file a dispute (you can file after that point as well but the outcome is not guaranteed.)

Obviously, there's a potential risk if your payment was outside of the window, which is why you would opt for travel insurance that WOULD cover such an eventuality, if you were really concerned about it.  Personally, my out-of-pocket for cruise fares isn't that great because I'm CAS, so I'm willing to take the risk.  But others' mileage may vary.

In the UK we are just fine as I understand it S75 does the trick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phillygwm said:

However, that doesn't absolve the card issuer from the Fair Credit Billing Act.  So if NCL went belly-up within 60 days of your payment, you can file a dispute (you can file after that point as well but the outcome is not guaranteed.)

I thought the Fair Credit Billing Act only applies to US companies? Would a foreign flagged cruise line be included in this protection? Im not trying to be disrespectful- I truly do not understand the language as written. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

There’s a particular pessimism on these forums that no matter what, seems convinced the cruise industry is doomed…..

I’m betting ncl does just fine. 

I don’t believe the industry is doomed, but I don’t believe it will be “just fine” either. I think it’s wise for consumers to be aware of the financial position of companies they are trusting with large sums of cash. 

There is zero speculation involved. Shorts have crushed it this year. Black and white. Plain as day. Nothing to discuss. 

Forward thinking, I don’t believe shorts will always win in the cruise industry, but I won’t be long anytime soon. If you truly believe ncl will be “just fine”, at $17 a share it’s time for you to consider investing. 

34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you truly believe ncl will be “just fine”, at $17 a share it’s time for you to consider investing. 

It’s too late for me to edit. I just reread what I wrote above and I don’t like how that comes across. What I should have written was something along the lines of…

If you truly believe ncl will be “just fine”, at $17 a share perhaps it’s a good time for you to consider investing (if you haven’t yet done so). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It’s too late for me to edit. I just reread what I wrote above and I don’t like how that comes across. What I should have written was something along the lines of…

If you truly believe ncl will be “just fine”, at $17 a share perhaps it’s a good time for you to consider investing (if you haven’t yet done so). 

I initially purchased at $7.20.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

I initially purchased at $7.20.  

I think most of us in this thread purchased below $9, but when it hit $30 last summer, several of us cashed in and switched to shorts based on the earnings reports.

There is No denying that Shorts remain the right side of the trade, and if you are willing to swing trade there is money to be made with volatility. The good news is that, at $7, you don't have much to lose should it hit zero and much to gain if it eventually recovers. Waiting out a $7 stock is not terribly painful. 

But, and I'm being totally serious, if you really feel NCL will be 'just fine', it hit $15s today. If I believed in this stock as much as it seems you do, I would be loading up right now.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think most of us in this thread purchased below $9, but when it hit $30 last summer, several of us cashed in and switched to shorts based on the earnings reports

But, and I'm being totally serious, if you really feel NCL will be 'just fine', it hit $15s today. If I believed in this stock as much as it seems you do, I would be loading up right now.

I cashed at $27 and grabbed 3000 shares today at $15.54

• Like 2

Does anybody know if the OBC is per stateroom or per shareholder.  For example, I have 100 shares and my husband has 100 shares - would we get $200 (per person?) or would it would just be $100 because we are in the same stateroom.  Of course that would be great if we ever took family on a cruise in another stateroom.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Does anybody know if the OBC is per stateroom or per shareholder.  For example, I have 100 shares and my husband has 100 shares - would we get $200 (per person?) or would it would just be $100 because we are in the same stateroom.  Of course that would be great if we ever took family on a cruise in another stateroom.  

Unfortunately, it is per stateroom.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The knife is currently white hot and the stock is as vulnerable as butter.  😯

I thought about adding to my short portfolio for all three everyday last week, but I am already heavy and don't want to be too greedy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I thought the Fair Credit Billing Act only applies to US companies? Would a foreign flagged cruise line be included in this protection? Im not trying to be disrespectful- I truly do not understand the language as written. 

The SHIPS are foreign flagged.  The headquarters is in Florida.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

The SHIPS are foreign flagged.  The headquarters is in Florida.

Cruise lines aren’t taxed as a USA company. Can you please show me anything in writing that indicates consumers would be protected under the Fair Credit act in the case of cruise line solvency? I’m not trying to be difficult, but the way I read the language it isn’t apparent. As mentioned, I’m genuinely curious. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The banking/credit card transaction takes place in the USA, in particular Miami for NCL, with a US bank as the processor.  I just put a deposit on an Oceania cruise today. The transaction shows a US phone number, "Florida", a zip code in Florida and "United States".

Yes, you are covered.

By the way for cruises embarking in the US you are also covered against default by a surety bond, financial guarantee or insurance policy that every cruise line must post with the Federal Maritime Commission.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The banking/credit card transaction takes place in the USA, in particular Miami for NCL, with a US bank as the processor.  I just put a deposit on an Oceania cruise today. The transaction shows a US phone number, "Florida", a zip code in Florida and "United States".

Yes, you are covered.

By the way for cruises embarking in the US you are also covered against default by a surety bond, financial guarantee or insurance policy that every cruise line must post with the Federal Maritime Commission.

I’m not trying to be difficult. Honest. Aren’t those on the bankrupt crystal having trouble? Do you have a link in writing that spells this out somewhere? I do respect your knowledge, but I’m reading it differently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m not trying to be difficult. Honest. Aren’t those on the bankrupt crystal having trouble? Do you have a link in writing that spells this out somewhere? I do respect your knowledge, but I’m reading it differently. 

Many Crystal cruisers have reported getting refunds from their credit cards. Some have not because the the transaction took place too long ago.

One more thing. The cruise lines have been required by the credit card processors to establish a reserve to cover potential refunds in the event of default. In a recent SEC filing NCLH mentioned that there was the possibility of being required to increase the amount that reserve account, and that having to do so would negatively affect their ability to access their cash assets.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Many Crystal cruisers have reported getting refunds from their credit cards. Some have not because the the transaction took place too long ago.

One more thing. The cruise lines have been required by the credit card processors to establish a reserve to cover potential refunds in the event of default. In a recent SEC filing NCLH mentioned that there was the possibility of being required to increase the amount that reserve account, and that having to do so would negatively affect their ability to access their cash assets.

yes- I’m aware of all this. It’s my understanding too.  My understanding is that the fair credit act has stipulations that indicate it is not an absolute given every passenger/situation  is protected by their credit card. I’m just looking for a link that proves otherwise. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

yes- I’m aware of all this. It’s my understanding too.  My understanding is that the fair credit act has stipulations that indicate it is not an absolute given every passenger/situation  is protected by their credit card. I’m just looking for a link that proves otherwise. 

Every situation? No...I don't think so either. At a minimum there may be time limits. I don't have the time or patience to chase down the details right now but AFAIK the cruise lines being incorporated in foreign countries is not an issue because the transactions are processed in the cruise line US offices through US banks and credit card companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re in it for the long haul.  Bought some NCLH back at $11, and then some more around $20.  DH is betting it will eventually get back up to the previous $60 range.  He’s pretty good with this, made a bunch on Tesla before the split and would have made more if he’d trusted his gut and not his investment banker.  lol  He got some Disney recently too, just to support my addictions.

• Like 1