Jump to content

Royal Caribbean suspends all cruising in US


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

It’s the last sailing that is cancelled. We were supposed to on it☹️

30 days after March 14th is April 12th so I think that the April 13th sailing should still be a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, doubled said:

Not sure if this has been asked or answered yet.  What happens to OBC?  Will it be applied to FCC or just lost?


OBC from X is a perk and no cruise, no cruise.  OBC from TA is most likely gone also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pushka said:


And as I am completely blind to US politics pretty much, I'd say the inaction by these cruiselines when others had cancelled, has led to the President making this demand. You can't call for a National Emergency through Pandemic in your country then have cruises departing your country impacting thousands of travellers and resident in those ports 


I agree. I’m sure the conversation was short and sweet. Not making any excuses for any cruise lines. I thought that they should have already pulled the plug but then our country has been slow to move on this situation as a whole. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Altarose said:

30 days after March 14th is April 12th so I think that the April 13th sailing should still be a go.

See post #15 and you will see that the April 13th sailing on the reflection is the last sailing cancelled by Celebrity 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Saving a couple of hours on your trip to Florida is peanuts compared to all of the confusion that was created by a poorly written, incomplete press release. This was obviously a rush job to coincide with the President’s press conference.   The fact that they didn’t already have a mock press release already written with TBD inserted in the time, dates, compensation etc. was poor crisis management and planning on the part of RCL. They have known for days that this was a distinct possibility. 

Sorry to hear that the press release confused you. For the rest of us, being given the heads up was appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:


I agree. I’m sure the conversation was short and sweet. Not making any excuses for any cruise lines. I thought that they should have already pulled the plug but then our country has been slow to move on this situation as a whole. 


this is 100% correct. Too many people making excuses here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jelayne said:


OBC from X is a perk and no cruise, no cruise.  OBC from TA is most likely gone also.

X originally said that OBC from a ‘booking on board’ perk should apply to the new sailing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:


I agree. I’m sure the conversation was short and sweet. Not making any excuses for any cruise lines. I thought that they should have already pulled the plug but then our country has been slow to move on this situation as a whole. 


Honestly, this would normally be a days or weeks long process with agreement on all parties well in advance. There used to be a process...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, downsmead said:

X originally said that OBC from a ‘booking on board’ perk should apply to the new sailing. 


Sorry, was thinking of the one of 4 perks OBC,  it the OBC from booking on the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orator said:

100% disagree. You don't release a partial statement! That only creates more questions and confusion. We can see that happening here. You work out every detail and then release it. Their PR and Crisis Management teams need to be evaluated and perhaps changed.

I think they wanted to get the suspension out quickly so that those travelling to the ports have an option.  At least I would want to know before driving ten hours to the port that I didn't need to go through with that long drive.  It now gives them the time to work out the details.  These are extenuating circumstances and I think we all need to have a little patience.  I am sure this has not been an easy decision for any cruise line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

X has shut down their website for bookings.

We are on the April 13 Reflection Cruise also. Our cruise should be a go as the suspension is only through April 12.

I could not find ANY cruises on the X website that had availability. Once X has things finalized they will open the website again.


As of “now”it looks as though your cruise is a go.

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were booked on the April 13th sailing on the Reflection.  I was initially relieved because Celebrity states that from March 14th they are suspending cruising for 30 days.  Well, that brings us up to April 12th.  How is it that the April 13th sailing is affected?

Can Celebrity count up to 30?  Why not say 31 days then?  Really, this is unbelievable!  Get your #### together Celebrity!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, actdir said:

I think they wanted to get the suspension out quickly so that those travelling to the ports have an option.  At least I would want to know before driving ten hours to the port that I didn't need to go through with that long drive.  It now gives them the time to work out the details.  These are extenuating circumstances and I think we all need to have a little patience.  I am sure this has not been an easy decision for any cruise line.


The President sent out his tweet before Carnival had the chance to get a press release out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Altarose said:

We were booked on the April 13th sailing on the Reflection.  I was initially relieved because Celebrity states that from March 14th they are suspending cruising for 30 days.  Well, that brings us up to April 12th.  How is it that the April 13th sailing is affected?

Can Celebrity count up to 30?  Why not say 31 days then?  Really, this is unbelievable!  Get your #### together Celebrity!


Here is the list of cruises affected.

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pauly said:

Well I know now not to drive down to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. The rest of the news will come in time.

Great attitude. What will be will be. Everyone everywhere will be affected in some way by this virus and will have to manage/get through it. I have every sympathy for all affected and I am one of them as my cruise is also now cancelled but I will not let it affect me any longer I just pray that it passes and we can get on with our lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, markeb said:


Honestly, this would normally be a days or weeks long process with agreement on all parties well in advance. There used to be a process...

In reality does anyone really know the conversations that have been happening in past weeks behind closed doors with relevant parties? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody talked to Celebrity who booked directly through them?  My cruise on 4/11 was on the original list of cancelled cruises but now it is no longer there.  i got an email from American Airlines about cancelling my flights.  figured I would wait to call because I figure the people who work there are probably inundated

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I have refreshed Celebrity's website and our cruise suddenly is not impacted.  Also they have taken off of the list the sailings for the 12th and 11th of April.  Are they done fixing their mistake or are there more fun surprises in store for us? 

Ok, for the moment we are back on for our sailing.  What a rollercoaster ride!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Now you see it, now you don’t!

The 4/13 sailing was on the original list but has since disappeared.

 

3 minutes ago, cruiser61262 said:

Has anybody talked to Celebrity who booked directly through them?  My cruise on 4/11 was on the original list of cancelled cruises but now it is no longer there.  i got an email from American Airlines about cancelling my flights.  figured I would wait to call because I figure the people who work there are probably inundated

 

 

Sounds like some confusion on how to calculate the end of the 30 day period.  However, since it appears that things will be worse, not better, in 30 days, I doubt those cruises will take place.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

 I'm shocked they let her sail. Makes no sense when the same day you are announcing a 1 month cruise suspension.

Which makes me think that there must have been some communication from Washington.  People were already on the ship.  Can you imagine the nightmare if they told them they had to get off!  I can't even comprehend that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

In reality does anyone really know the conversations that have been happening in past weeks behind closed doors with relevant parties? 


You'd normally have a deputies meeting, then a principals meeting. You’d draft language so everyone could say the same thing at the same time. It’s worked for the NSC for probably 50 years and the HSC since 2002 or so. It actually used to be a very established process...

 

Unfortunately, I do know how it used to work...

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

4D001810-29D6-43C7-A964-0D0798B2EDD3.png

98BF6D17-1FA2-4A71-8C57-FDBAE69DB178.png

3C6A6648-0818-4C4D-B929-D1E213002C76.png

Thanks for posting this...thought I was going crazy. We're on the 4/11 Equinox sailing shown in your list. Just looked at again and the cutoff is now up to 4/10 sailings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

 

 

Sounds like some confusion on how to calculate the end of the 30 day period.  However, since it appears that things will be worse, not better, in 30 days, I doubt those cruises will take place.  

 

Agree. I think the dates will be extended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, actdir said:

Which makes me think that there must have been some communication from Washington.  People were already on the ship.  Can you imagine the nightmare if they told them they had to get off!  I can't even comprehend that.

 

MSC just did that the other day in Barcelona on the Grandiosa. Everyone was on board ready to sail when they were told to get off around 7pm due to the imminent closure of Spain's ports to all cruise ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...