Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

As Essiesmom correctly reported, the Splendor is headed to Puerto Vallarta. Obviously, it is ultimately going to pass through the Panama Canal and not return to Los Angeles.

The Navigator has completed its Panama Canal transit and is heading NE at 16 kn. Two days ago while in Costa Rica, the Navigator disembarked three Costa Rican crew members.

Dave

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

That makes sense.  The pods on Mariner and Voyager have definitely had severe issues (although the time that Voyager's pod was entangled in a fishing net that ended the world cruise was likely not the an issue with the pods but many other issues definitely were).

Thank you for your response.

Too the contrary. If any ship with direct shaft propeller had run over a fishing net it would have chewed the net to little piece and kept on going. In the case of the Voyager, then net got entangled in he propeller and then was worked into the seal behind the propeller that keep water out of the pod. With the pod system the large electric motor is  inside the pod and below the water line. Thus any damage to the seals is a serious matter that can stop propulsion and ruin an extremely expensive piece of equipment. This will never happen on the NAV the two never ships.

That makes sense.  The pods on Mariner and Voyager have definitely had severe issues (although the time that Voyager's pod was entangled in a fishing net that ended the world cruise was likely not the an issue with the pods but many other issues definitely were).

Sorry Double post.....

Edited by JMARINER
Sorry Double post.....

Too the contrary. If any ship with direct shaft propeller had run over a fishing net it would have chewed the net to little piece and kept on going. In the case of the Voyager, then net got entangled in he propeller and then was worked into the seal behind the propeller that keep water out of the pod. With the pod system the large electric motor is  inside the pod and below the water line. Thus any damage to the seals is a serious matter that can stop propulsion and ruin an extremely expensive piece of equipment. This will never happen on the NAV the two never ships.

J

Sorry, I don't know why this posted 3 times. Maybe admin can fix as i can not delete them

J

Edited by JMARINER

11 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Again, appreciate the explanation.  In my state, there are times when whales get caught up in nets (it actually happened again last week), thankfully, the state will do almost anything to free the whale from the nets.  The whale was released last week due to people in helicopters that were able to fly above the whale and somehow release it.

May ask what the Splendor and Explorer use?  Is it a direct shaft propeller?

• Haha 1

Looking for input from someone that is better than me at tracking ships.  Marine traffic still doesn't have new destination for Navigator.  It doesn't look like Navigator did a technical stop at San Andres Island so I don't think it has satisfied the "distant port" requirement for PVSA (still a passenger vessel even though no passengers).  Do you think Navigator will try a stop in Miami or will it go straight to the Bahamas?  It may also be dropping off crew members in the Caribbean on the way.  

Marc

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

May ask what the Splendor and Explorer use?  Is it a direct shaft propeller?

Yes,  the Splendor and Explorer use direct shaft propellers. The props themselves are really high tech and produce almost no wake, cavitation or vibration.

Almost all cruise ships in the built in the last 15 years use the AZIPOD system. It tends to be more fuel efficient, save  lot of engineering space and eliminates  the need for stern side to side tunnel thrusters used for docking. When they work, they are an advantage. However they seem to have an uncommon amount of failure and there have been a few big lawsuit over there use.

J

On 5/2/2020 at 6:21 AM, flossie009 said:

I wonder if the Indian government’s decision to extend the Coronavirus lockdown will hinder the plan for Voyager?

India’s lockdown was due to end May 4. Voyager due to dock in Mumbai/Bombay May 5.

Lockdown has now been extended by 2 weeks to May 18.

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I just read that Voyager is heading back to India from Abu Dhabi.  This, to repatriate staff, apparently.

Voyager is now anchored off the coast of India near Mumbai.

Lockdown in India is very severe & strictly enforced, so maybe Voyager will have to wait at anchor for a while.

We are still very interested in Splendor, and whether it is likely that she will come to Europe at all this year.  Splendor is heading to Puerto Vallarta.  Does anyone know why she would be heading there?  

Navigator is now off the coast of Florida, near Miami.

According to MarineTraffic she is due to dock in Miami at 06:30 local time.

1 minute ago, MikeD1000 said:

We are still very interested in Splendor, and whether it is likely that she will come to Europe at all this year.  Splendor is heading to Puerto Vallarta.  Does anyone know why she would be heading there?  

Probably just a stop before heading through the Panama Canal; no doubt we shall see where she is heading in the next few days.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Probably just a stop before heading through the Panama Canal; no doubt we shall see where she is heading in the next few days.

Or for a repatriation flight for crew; I believe one of RCL's ships is also heading to PV for that purpose.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Flossie009 and mrlevin.

We're hanging in there hoping for Europe to open up .  Regent are still advertising July in the Med, but it's going to be tight.  We're watching with interest.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, flossie009 said:

There are now seven cruise ships anchored in the bay off Manila:

It appears that they are all awaiting permission to disembark Filipino crew but have been caught up in local 'red tape'.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/04/21/2008817/ship-crew-faces-14-more-days-quarantine-after-weeks-afloat-uncertainty

Interestingly none of the ships are from the NCLH Group.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:42 PM, flossie009 said:

There are now ten cruise ships in Manila Bay.
Nine are at anchor but one is moored,  so hopefully the crew are being allowed to disembark and return to their families.

............... but huge worries about their future employment prospects.

Finally there seems to be some movement in getting the Filipino crew off the numerous ships in Manila Bay:

Manila Times

Manila Bulletin

....... and other nationalities are also stuck on the ships in Manila:

BBC

So far no NCLH ships in the Philippines; maybe they were successful in flying the crew home.

12 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I see that Navigator successfully docked in Miami today.

I think that is her in the background on the left behind the port buildings (captured from the port webcam)

1FFEABA2-F1DB-4724-A38D-24755BED2E24.thumb.jpeg.46557fae298a047bd9f7e736d43805f2.jpeg

(Oceania Marina in the foreground)

• Like 1

I am surprised she fit at that dock; I have never seen that large a ship there (haven't been there in probably 15 years). In terms of hurricane season, that is one of least dangerous areas of the Florida coast; it is so far west that extremely rare (but happened a couple of years ago) for hurricanes to get real close.  However, I can't imagine the local Chamber of Commerce would want that big a ship there if tourist season ever starts.

Will be curious to see how long she stays.

Marc

4 minutes ago, LvnCruisin said:

Here is an article on Splendor. Looks like she will stay put for 30 days before heading back to Baja California.

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/puerto-vallarta…/2020.html

Thanks for posting the article. I guess my speculation that the Splendor was heading for the East Coast was not correct. Maybe she is going to stay on the West Coast this year. I wouldn’t mind some Hawaii round trips from LA or San Diego. Regent could also do some round-trip cruises to nowhere from those two ports.

Dave

8 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

Thanks for posting the article. I guess my speculation that the Splendor was heading for the East Coast was not correct. Maybe she is going to stay on the West Coast this year. I wouldn’t mind some Hawaii round trips from LA or San Diego. Regent could also do some round-trip cruises to nowhere from those two ports.

Dave

I still believe that Splendor's March 14th sailing could have been safely done at the time.  IF she has any enticing West Coast departures, we would likely book them.  We are very tired of flying into MIA from Vancouver.  However, the last that I heard, Mexico is not yet open to cruise ships.  Will watch to see what happens.

LvnCruisin, thank you so much for posting that article.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Voyager off-loading crew in Mumbai where they will be housed in hotels until flights resume in India.

Seems she is at anchorage around 20 miles offshore; are they really offloading now?