What will we do now?

Well none of us could have envisaged such a terrible situation we find ourselves in. It's all doom and gloom at the moment and the uncertainty is the worse part.  I must admit the videos of singing in Italy and keep fit in Spain really made me smile, somehow the world seems very small.

I was thinking what I can do if we are in lock down - as the supermarket shelves are empty it seems like a good time to go on a diet.  After 12 weeks I could emerge all slim and gorgeous, but then I realised that after 12 weeks of scrubbing my hands will be all dried up and my nails broken.  Oh, and no visit to the hairdresser so my locks will be straggly and GREY!!😱😱

And if everyone stops posting on CC I might have to sign up to FB - shock horror!

Hope you and yours keep safe and well.

• Like 2

Thank you.

There is also little or no sport and there may not be for weeks or months, so one of us is already showing withdrawal symptoms!

We can go out for walks, work or sit in the garden, and we may even begin sorting through the cupboards, drawers and attic to begin the major clear out of unused "stuff" we have been meaning to clear for years but never got around to doing.

And sorting through paperwork and photos!

All fun things to keep ourselves occupied...NOT!

Flopsy not seen you on here for a long time.  I was joking, I have a mobile hairdresser and hope she will still come🤞

I think we will go and stock up tomorrow on DIY products, need to keep DH busy😉

Keep well,  think we are fortunate living in a good community!

Once I get over this cold - eek. I will buy some seeds and fill troughs and planters with lovely veg. Otherwise the house and garden will not keep me occupied all the time. Walks each day will help and of course the model railway has years of work to finish (its OK, Rod Stewart and Jools Holland have one). Meanwhile spending a lot of time trying to secure food supplies and repeat prescription delivery. I was isolated in my cabin for 2 days TWICE on the same cruise a year or so ago. I was banging off the walls and got somewhat ratty. Boiler service on Thursday, should I risk it or give the engineer the choice of staying away.

Problem is all my friends are as old as and even more decrepit than I am and my nearest relation is over 200 miles away.

Hope you have good neighbours Dave, we all will have to rely on each other!

I have family nearby but will be frustrating if I can't see my grandchildren as I'm  asthmatic.

Take care and keep well

5 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Well none of us could have envisaged such a terrible situation we find ourselves in. It's all doom and gloom at the moment and the uncertainty is the worse part.  I must admit the videos of singing in Italy and keep fit in Spain really made me smile, somehow the world seems very small.

I was thinking what I can do if we are in lock down - as the supermarket shelves are empty it seems like a good time to go on a diet.  After 12 weeks I could emerge all slim and gorgeous, but then I realised that after 12 weeks of scrubbing my hands will be all dried up and my nails broken.  Oh, and no visit to the hairdresser so my locks will be straggly and GREY!!😱😱

And if everyone stops posting on CC I might have to sign up to FB - shock horror!

Why are you guys panicking? As if there is no more toilet paper so spaghetti left in the world. Almost every second american family is well equipped and prepared for such occasion. Just stay away from the crowded places, wash your hands, try not to eat outside and you should be alright. If there is something I would grab from the shelves it would be water.. For some unknown reason I am afraid to stay without water 

On 3/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, dronnygirl said:

g my hands will be all dried up and my nails broken.  Oh, and no visit to the hairdresser so my locks will be straggly and GREY!!😱😱

Perhaps we should stay in touch via this thread? If we're incapacitated, just a few xxxx's will do 🤑 I have an overgrown allotment, if I can get the enthusiasm, I'll fire up the tiller/rotovator and plant six rows of Casablanca spuds. 

Still hopeful the Scotland, Iceland, Norway cruise on the 1st Aug, will go ahead. Otherwise, we can wait a year.

Chins up (all of them) and wash yer hands. Regards Paul

21 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If there is something I would grab from the shelves it would be water.. For some unknown reason I am afraid to stay without water 

The only time I buy bottled water, is when cruising abroad. Tap water in the UK has always been very drinkable.

19 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

The only time I buy bottled water, is when cruising abroad. Tap water in the UK has always been very drinkable.

Our last couple of cruises, we have used the water dispensers to fill our own bottles. Saves money and saves plastic!

One of the main DIY companies out of white gloss paint today but managed to get some elsewhere. Also bought wood for decking and some plants, plenty to keep DH busy!!😊😊

Hi Dronnygirl- no I haven't looked on here for ages as we had to give up cruising. I had almost forgotten my password lol.Ias we are supposed to stay in I thought I would look for the old familiar names- Kruzseeka, you, etc and you are all still here! Enjoy your DIY!

Hi flopsy, sorry to hear you gave up cruising.  Think quite a few may also give up after all this. We were really looking forward to  cruising the Baltic from Newcastle but think these cruises will all be cancelled.  

Hope people can keep us smiling on this thread, desperate for something to smile a out! Keep safe and well😊

We started the refurbishment of our flat a couple of months ago so that will keep us occupied for most of the "twelve week lock in". We live in a small village so going out for a walk without meeting anybody is easy. We decide not go into the big city (Bristol) before the lock in was announced and we are having our groceries delivered by Waitrose so its all under control. Next cruise Feb 2021 so hopefully it will all have blown over by then!!

Peter and Jenny

20 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Hi Dronnygirl- no I haven't looked on here for ages as we had to give up cruising. I had almost forgotten my password lol.Ias we are supposed to stay in I thought I would look for the old familiar names- Kruzseeka, you, etc and you are all still here! Enjoy your DIY!

Hi Flopsy,  nice to see you back on the forum. Sorry you had to give up cruising. When this is all over I hope you get the chance to explore the UK. 

We have been cruising for years but had also had lots of holidays in England , Wales and Northern Ireland.  We hadn't seen much of Scotland. Last summer we decided it was time to see a bit more on our own doorstep.  We were totally amazed at the beauty of the west coast and and the islands.  Visited Perthshire for the first time last autumn and the scenery was stunning.

We will probably be giving up cruising sometime in the not too distant future as we have a few health problems and the insurance is becoming really expensive.

Nice to know we can still have some great holidays at home.  All we need is the weather.

As we say here in Scotland there is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes.....

and today's rain is tomorrow's whisky.

Hi Nancy, years since we had been to Scotland and one of the reasons we enjoyed the Iceland cruise which took in Lerwick and Invergordon. Hired a car at both and drove all around Shetland and across to the west coast of Scotland.   Long and tiring days but glad we did it.

At least we can live off our holiday memories even if we can't get away for a while.

Take care

Just seen that Saga have offered 2 cruise ships docked in Tilbury for hospitals or for health care workers to stay. MSC are doing the same in Italy, what a great idea.

Wonder if Marella will offer the same?

On 3/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, dronnygirl said:

Hi Nancy, years since we had been to Scotland and one of the reasons we enjoyed the Iceland cruise which took in Lerwick and Invergordon. Hired a car at both and drove all around Shetland and across to the west coast of Scotland.   Long and tiring days but glad we did it.

At least we can live off our holiday memories even if we can't get away for a while.

Take care

Hi Dronnygirl,  I find that some people I meet on cruises have seen more of Scotland than I have. I've never been to Shetland or many of the places in the far north west of Scotland.  The crew on the Spirit could tell me lots of stories of the places they visited while they sailed round Britain and many said how they loved to shop in the pound shops in places like Greenock and Newcastle.  Glad you enjoyed your drive round the north.

When we are free to travel again I will make it a point to get out and about more at home but will also look forward to cruising again for as long as we can.  Stay well

One of the things I really loved at Shetland were the puffins, lovely cute little birds.

Strange thing has happened, we are about 90 miles inland and all the terrible storms we have been having from the east has brought 2 puffins to our town. They are living on the roof of an old butchers shop!

21 hours ago, davecttr said:

The coronavirus topic on the P&O forum has been moved to the 'Pub' section of the forum. as the pubs are closed we can talk about anything we want there , please pop over and also other forums here on CC

Haven't been to the pub for yonks, I have my own stash of homebrew. 22 litres each of Theakstons Old Peculiar and 22 litres of St. Austel Proper Job IPA. I only have one (half litre) bottle at lunchtime, so it should last for 'The Duration'.

I once asked a Geordie pal, if he had a drink problem. He thought for a second and said "I have a drink, I fall over, no problem" 😁 Regards Paul (testing my new username)

P1040490.JPG

Edited by Bertie Doe

Dronnygirl I wonder how they will get back to the coast? Or will they find a banking somewhere to dig their burrow - of course only if they are a male & female pair - lovely lovely birds 🐧🐧

Edited by Vitalsign