for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

I'm back!!!   I missed some good stuff, it seems.  That's OK, I relaxed and tuned out for a few days.  

Zion NP was crazy busy again.  The day use lot was always full by about 9am.  The campground was totally full.  Fortunately, the little walk-in area where I was stayed pretty quiet - no family herds like the rest of the campground.  My campsite was about a 20 ft.walk from my car, so it seemed more like a regular pull-in site than a site where you'd have to walk 200 ft. to get to.  Really nice!   I was super impressed with my new tent!!!  I set it up in about 5 minutes - really simple and easy.  It took longer for me to put the rain fly on as it was a tad obstinate with me to stretch enough to get the grommets on each end to attach to the center fly pole!  Super comfy inside - it felt nice and big and open, something important for me.   My 45 degree sleeping bag did just fine as I never got hot and never got cold.  The new mattress - meh.  It's still better than my old one.  I may have had it too inflated, so I'll have to try it with less next time.   I made a major mistake - I forgot my pillow.  I had to use my nano puff throw as my pillow and that didn't give much at all.  Worse mistake - I left my 3 soups from Trader Joe's in my fridge by accident!!!!  Good thing I had cheese, crackers, guacamole and nuts to get me through my dinner.  And, my Rosè was excellent, as usual.  The funniest thing happened:  I was relaxing in my reclining lounge chair, noise-cancelling headphone on, listening to Andrea Bocelli.  All of a sudden, a very cheeky, fat, squirrel jumped into my lap!!!  He'd been around my site off and on for 2 days.  I talked to him but I never feed wildlife.  I have no idea what made him jump on me.  I scooted him off.  He didn't come back.  

OK.  I've been down to Zion a few times, so I didn't take a lot of photos.  But, I popped a couple going up the hill out of the park toward Carmel Junction on the way home.   Then, to show what "red dirt" does to stuff - one shoe is my old (like 10 years) Keen hiking shoe, the other 2 are my "new" (3 years) of the same Keen shoe and I wore these down at Zion.  They WERE all the same color!!

Last:  Just a little bit of fun.  The last photo is of a place that was very prominent in a famous 80s movie.  Anyone know the movie?  I always drive by it going south on the Interstate and for some reason I decided to stop and take a picture.

I'm rather tired from driving 5 hours home (took the scenic route).  I think I'm going to bed.  Later!!

IMG_0809.JPG

OOPS,  it only did the shoes.   I'm going to try the rest again.

The first is my little campsite.  My lounge chair and table with my "candle" lantern and bottle of wine,  and my tent that I strung my lights on just because I had them (they change colors).  

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

I forgot, this too.  Melody - you're the one with the Vuori joggers, right?  If you need a pair of camping/hiking/outdoor activity pant, look at the Vuori Ripstop pant.  I ordered a pair because my Duluth Trading pants are now too big.  Man, I really liked them.  Just enough stretch in them to move in.  Zippered  "cargo" pocket that doesn't stick out like the usual cargo pocket, and side and back pockets.  I rolled up the bottoms a little to "flood" level to wear around.  Forgot my legs hadn't seen sun in 2 years - those 2 inches on each leg got burned in a big way!!!  

On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

omg Melody, that is a serious project!!  Just make sure you drink the wine after and not during or you may end up with a few unused pieces, lol.

I am feeling out of sorts today. I'm losing patience with all the posturing of the cruise lines -- and now the Carnival Corp CEO is saying that he won't "mandate" vaccines. I think he just doesn't want to be the bad guy. I'm not sure what this means for my Jan 2022 Antarctic cruise on HAL, but I can tell you that given infection rates in S. America (and what happened on the 2020 winter S. America voyages) I do not want to set foot on that ship without having everyone vaccinated...

I am also not feeling hopeful about the Celebrity Infinity sailings. I have less than a month until final payment -- Celebrity isn't telegraphing anything, numbers are going up in Greece, and I am remembering why I don't like to travel in August as the weather starts heating up here. It was 75 yesterday and already it felt too warm to sit and read in the sun....

@cruise kittyThat is so great about your family's continued participation in the vaccine trials. Kudos to you guys!!  I guess we will likely all be lining up in another year or so to get the next generation COVID jab?

On Carnival - I think the CEO, being in Florida, wants to stay on the "right" side of Tallahassee, where the opinion and Executive Orders say no mandatory vaccination allowed for any business in Florida...

Melody - that pergola is one big project!  I would have stayed in the kitchen, sipping the wine and fixing dinner myself!  I'm not a slouch at putting things together, but that one has too many nuts and bolts to get me all frustrated if it didn't go straight and easy!  Good thing you had lot of help!

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I forgot, this too.  Melody - you're the one with the Vuori joggers, right?  If you need a pair of camping/hiking/outdoor activity pant, look at the Vuori Ripstop pant.  I ordered a pair because my Duluth Trading pants are now too big.  Man, I really liked them.  Just enough stretch in them to move in.  Zippered  "cargo" pocket that doesn't stick out like the usual cargo pocket, and side and back pockets.  I rolled up the bottoms a little to "flood" level to wear around.  Forgot my legs hadn't seen sun in 2 years - those 2 inches on each leg got burned in a big way!!!  

I don’t have those joggers, but I might look into those ripstop ones!  Glad you had a good time!

I must have scrolled through this too fast......Kat, the photos are great😃. You are a better woman than I will ever be........not sure I could do that tent............😮

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

I must have scrolled through this too fast......Kat, the photos are great😃. You are a better woman than I will ever be........not sure I could do that tent............😮

The tent itself is pretty fast to put up and take down.  What I did find was that I have to do major work to get my quads and hamstrings back in better shape - ever have that time when you're down on your knees to get something and you have trouble getting back up?  Well, that was me every time I tried to get out of the tent!   Pretty embarrassing.

Cynthia - good finding the movie!  I had some clues ready - red cowboy boots, it was just over the city limit and tractor "chicken" at the irrigation canal.  The mills are right off of the Interstate at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley.  That songs comes into my head each time I get down there!  A lot of the movie was filmed in the area.  

Melody - I thought it was you with the Vuoris.  I know someone on here has a pair.  Just like all the name brands, they aren't cheap, but gosh they are comfortable.  I mean, even the ripstops are comfy - how many times are a pair of non-knit pants comfy???  

My meal of the day:  bakery goods that I picked up at a German bakery that is outside the Park on the way back home.  I got a bag of day-olds, it was a nice mix of 4 different pastries.  Kind of weird to have this place literally out in a very small village in middle of nowhere.   I'm not eating all 4 at once, just spreading them out over the day.  

OOTD:  a little chilly today - in the 40s.  So, it's back to leggings and one of my hoodies.   Not yet time for my sleeveless T shirts up here...

Hi Kat,🙂 I didn't word it right.......I could probably put it up but have no desire to.......I mean, camping sounds fun and I did it years and years (and years ago) but call me selfish now but I would want a bed, not the ground.......a campsite with a cabin.....but I am just not into sleeping on the ground and yes, I understand about getting up and down.........I don't even take a bath.  Too hard to get out of the tub😲

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat,🙂 I didn't word it right.......I could probably put it up but have no desire to.......I mean, camping sounds fun and I did it years and years (and years ago) but call me selfish now but I would want a bed, not the ground.......a campsite with a cabin.....but I am just not into sleeping on the ground and yes, I understand about getting up and down.........I don't even take a bath.  Too hard to get out of the tub😲

Well, I have 2.5 inches of mattress between me and the ground 😉

I hadn't done it for years, but 4 years ago a former co-worker and "old hippie lady" like me got me back  into it.  I met the woman who was set up behind me.  She's retired and of a "mature" age.  She is from Tennessee.  She is on a road trip from there and is doing the "Mighty 5" - the National Parks in Utah.  She's done camping trips all over.  My new heroine.   I'm starting to get a July or August road trip up to the North planned out: Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier NPs with some places in-between Yellowstone and Glacier and a different way back down home through Idaho.  Depends on campground availability...

Currently sitting in the Punta Cana airport waiting for our flight.  Our week at the Hilton Resort was amazing, loved the facilities, pools and beach.  Food varied from very good to just ok.  Loved the fresh fruit and juices, seafood and yucca.  It was nice to get away, made life seem almost normal again.  I will say the Hilton staff did an excellent job of keeping everything very clean and wearing their masks.  I did not see a single staff member without one on.  Most of the guests were pretty good about wearing one, if you tried to enter a restaurant and did not have one on, you were given one to wear.   Definitely a good experience.

Traveling during COVID is not so relaxing.  Planes and airports were packed, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Orlando airport as crowded as it was and it wasn’t even Spring Break.  A COVID test is required within 72 hours of flight for US citizens to return, fortunately, the resort set it up at their convention center so it was pretty easy. 

It was almost as good as a cruise!

Sherri🙂

Hi Sherri, so happy to see you had a good time🙂.  I wonder if things at the airport will be a bit (just a little bit) smoother when I fly to Greece in July.......will just wait and see.

I keep forgetting I am going to Chicago in June too LOL......

Sherri - it sounds like you had a good time in the DR.  Nice to hear most people did take masking seriously.  That was one thing that I wondered about even on my trip and I ended up pleasantly surprised. 

Lois - I thought more about your camping comments and I came up with a solution for you:  Glamping!!!  Life in the great Outdoors combined with comfortable living.   "Glampgrounds" are popping up all over the place.   Over my price point for a camping trip, but...  I had my taste of glamping on my Kenyan Safari.  I was afraid that I would be too spoiled to ever want to do plain camping again.  

Melody - you might have some snow coming next week.  My weather forecast shows possible snow on Monday-Tuesday.  

Not going anywhere today, I think.  I have to unpack the car, but I have to clear some space in the garage for the gear.  It had all been sitting in my living room since November 2019!!!  Good thing I live alone 😼

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sherri, so happy to see you had a good time🙂.  I wonder if things at the airport will be a bit (just a little bit) smoother when I fly to Greece in July.......will just wait and se

I keep forgetting I am going to Chicago in June too LOL......

You know, Lois, in pre Covid times, I probably would not have thought that much about it but I am still in the mode of not liking people too close to me.   I did not feel comfortable going  through security or being on a packed airplane.

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

I’m quite sad this evening. I lost another friend today. She was diagnosed with a very rare aggressive bladder cancer 3 weeks ago. Please gals, if something doesn’t feel or look right get it looked at. Jeannie knew something wasn’t quite right & put it off to the point that nothing could be done. At least her passing was easy. I’ve opened a bottle of Caymus Cabernet, cin cin Jeannie, Rest In Peace. I’ll miss you 😢. Melody

Gosh Melody,  I'm so sorry about your friend.  You are right about getting thing checked.  We have to learn to be humble when it comes to our health.   I will raise my glass of 19 Crimes tonight in your friend's honor.

14 hours ago, awhfy said:

I’m quite sad this evening. I lost another friend today. She was diagnosed with a very rare aggressive bladder cancer 3 weeks ago. Please gals, if something doesn’t feel or look right get it looked at. Jeannie knew something wasn’t quite right & put it off to the point that nothing could be done. At least her passing was easy. I’ve opened a bottle of Caymus Cabernet, cin cin Jeannie, Rest In Peace. I’ll miss you 😢. Melody

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's death. Good friends are a blessing and not to be taken for granted. As is good health -- and that's a timely warning about getting things checked out as well. I've heard quite a few stories of people delaying routine health checks or care due to the pandemic. Hopefully now that most are getting vaccinated, we can all get back to our regularly scheduled (and so fun :classic_dry:) doctors appointments.

Melody, so sorry to hear of your dear friend’s passing. Friends are so precious. 
Yes, keep a watch on your health....vital, especially as we age.