How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I guess it is arthritis.  I know I had gout in one knee once which is a form of arthritis. 

What exercises?  I just walk a lot.  

Two easy ones. BTW, these are on the advice of my doctor and also my personal trainer (when I had one).

1. Sit/stand. From seated on a chair, stand, sit etc. up to 50 times.

2. Leg lift. While sitting, lift your foot up so the leg is virtually straight. This is more effective if you have a small weight on your foot. You can do this while you watch TV or whatever.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Two easy ones. BTW, these are on the advice of my doctor and also my personal trainer (when I had one).

2. Leg lift. While sitting, lift your foot up so the leg is virtually straight. This is more effective if you have a small weight on your foot. You can do this while you watch TV or whatever.

No so easy, but doable.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

As a child I cut my left knee very badly after my sister pushed me off a swing into grass which had a broken beer bottle in it. I have quite a long ugly scar on it. I remember one of the exercises I had to do to make it stronger were leg lifts. It went from just lifting my leg to hanging a basket from it and then added books to have extra weight. 

Leigh

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As a child I cut my left knee very badly after my sister pushed me off a swing into grass which had a broken beer bottle in it. I have quite a long ugly scar on it. I remember one of the exercises I had to do to make it stronger were leg lifts. It went from just lifting my leg to hanging a basket from it and then added books to have extra weight. 

Leigh

Don't you just love how people made do with what they had available.  Now people would have all kinds of equipment/weights, etc.

• Like 1

Today has been a sad day for Victoria after the traffic accident yesterday afternoon causing the death of four police officers. I think it really hits home when you have a police officer in your family as we do. A young friend of ours worked with the highway patrol officers and was working yesterday. As you could imagine she is shattered. 

Leigh

Tomorrow is ANZAC Day.  Like many in Australia, I will be remembering at 6am at the end of my drive.  Driveway at Dawn here will have an Ap with a virtual candle and playing of the last Post.  5.30 am I'll watch ABC. 

• Like 2

I will be joining you also, but on my driveway not yours 🙂 

I think there will be literally millions joining the Dawn Service at home movement. It is not the normal Anzac Day, but I think it will honour the diggers in an appropriate manner, with perhaps even more joining than normal and spreading the Anzac Spirit.

At the going down of the sun, and …. in the morning, we will remember them. Lest We Forget.

We were also out at the end of our driveway at 6am, with a few other neighbours standing on the footpath along the street. We streamed the service from the Shrine of Remembrance. Both our children and their families did the same at their homes. 

We are just about to have our gunfire breakfast. 

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Nice - looks like the real thing.  We used to go to gunfire breakfast at RSL.  Now I want some hash browns!

I did enjoy mine but I couldn’t eat it all. My husband usually goes to the local RSL for service and breakfast. He lays a wreath on behalf of our fire brigade. I go to the service at our suburb’s little war memorial at the mouth of the river. 

On 4/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, VK3DQ said:

Well we should all try to help each other in our little CC community .. it feels like a group of friends talking to each other

Regards

John

How I feel too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah sure is, today stayed inside and watched the cul de sac over the road  have a small ceremony, the ode, last post flag raising etc,

How are you?  Good that you could see the small ANZAC Day ceremony in the cul de sac over the road from inside.  

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

19 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

As a kid we always did Dawn Service at Wangi and the RSL would put on a BBQ of Bacon and Egg sandwiches.

The Gunfire Breakfast at the Surfers Paradise RSL, put on by the women of the Club, used to be free.  Later there was a charge.  I always enjoyed the Dawn Service on the beachfront at Surfers Paradise, watching the sun come up over the surf.  

On 4/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, VK3DQ said:

Well we should all try to help each other in our little CC community .. it feels like a group of friends talking to each other

Regards

John

Yes, we have gathered a nice group of caring friends on this thread. 

How are you?

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, we have gathered a nice group of caring friends on this thread. 

How are you?

Hi ..Well still alive .. The VIP'er woke me up at just after 4am  so I'm having a coffee and sulking about cruises lost (Grin)

Watched  "The League of Gentlemen" an old movie last evening 

medical treatment has been slightly better over the last week keeping pain levels down I actually drove my car to the doctors first time in 6 weeks

Spoke to my daughter in Hervey Bay all is ok with them .. and will potter up the Newel when we are able to go north again 

So no cruising but we might be able to go droving ... you know" Clancy went a droving and we dont know where he are"

Written as always with a "thumbnail dipped in tar"

Regards

John

7 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi ..Well still alive .. The VIP'er woke me up at just after 4am  so I'm having a coffee and sulking about cruises lost (Grin)

Watched  "The League of Gentlemen" an old movie last evening 

medical treatment has been slightly better over the last week keeping pain levels down I actually drove my car to the doctors first time in 6 weeks

Spoke to my daughter in Hervey Bay all is ok with them .. and will potter up the Newel when we are able to go north again 

So no cruising but we might be able to go droving ... you know" Clancy went a droving and we dont know where he are"

Written as always with a "thumbnail dipped in tar"

Regards

John

Good that you were able to drive to the doctors for the first time in 6 weeks.  Good practice for your big trip north to Hervey Bay.  We used to stay in a holiday cottage on the beachfront at Burrum Heads or camp at the first beach at Hervey Bay.  Such a relaxing holiday place - fish and chips on the beach and long walks along the waterfront, what more could you want?

We always took the Newell Highway route to Melbourne for the Aust Tennis Open in January.  We used to have the highway to ourselves as everyone else was at the beach.  We soon discovered why.  Got out of our airconditioned car to have a picnic lunch, to discover it was too hot to eat.  Put picnic back in the car and had lunch at local air-conditioned RSL. Started out one stop en route, ended up with four stops. Would be a lovely drive in winter.

Happy day today!  The Spit, Gold Coast reopened today.  Gold Coast beaches are limited to 50klm drive limit by visitors.  

As we can now drive 50 klm, I am planning picnics and drives to Coolangatta (NSW border closed) and the GC Hinterland, including Tamborine Mountain, Springbrook, Beechmont, Binna Burra and O'Reillys.

How far from home can you drive?

Edited by MMDown Under

50 klm's doesn't even get me to the nearest large city, Newcastle. Local drives to Stockton Bight or Lemon Tree Passage would be OK. It won't be a problem for the next few weeks as I have my hip replacement operation tomorrow, so no driving until I get my Dr's permission.

48 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

50 klm's doesn't even get me to the nearest large city, Newcastle. Local drives to Stockton Bight or Lemon Tree Passage would be OK. It won't be a problem for the next few weeks as I have my hip replacement operation tomorrow, so no driving until I get my Dr's permission.

Best wishes for a successful outcome and speedy recovery!