Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, ronpes said:

We had a lovely Christmas day. 

We went out very early in the morning to tend to the horse and give him some extra treats along with his feed. 

Then Back home for quick change and then round to the pub for a sit down meal and some bubbly stuff which was lovely. 

We then decanted to the bar afterwards for a refreshment or two before a brisk walk home in the very cold to sit down with the track suit on to catch up on some telly and and perhaps another refreshment with a chocolate or two. 

Today it is absolutely freezing, and with the windchill it is -4C but seems much colder. 

The pony has a nice thick rug on to keep him cozy. 

However my heart goes out to those folks in North America who are experiencing unprecedented weather.

I hope you all have a break.

We have hopes of reaching the freezing point (32F) tomorrow after a couple of mornings at 0 F.   At least no snow (here in SW Connecticut)  unlike much of the rest of the US.

18 hours ago, Camgirl said:

It didn't quite go to plan here. We were due to go to my sisters house on christmas eve for our Christmas Dinner. She has a chest infection (not covid), so the meal has been postponed. We were still going to go over for Christmas day and boxing day. However, this morning, she rang to say her husband has woken with a sniffle, and has tested positive for covid. Luckily, it seems to be pretty mild, at the moment.

So, we were suddenly left without anywhere to go, and no fresh food in the house! 

In the end, we travelled over to my sisters house, an hour away, collected some food that she wouldn't be able to use, waved at her husband, who looked dreadfully crestfallen, commiserated at length with my sister, and returned home.

One of my two sons, and his wife, joined us, and we had a quiet evening at home together, eating the food my sister had provided.

To top it all off, for my poor sister, she has done something to her hands, which have got more painful during the day. She contacted 111, and they told her to go to her nearest nhs walk in centre, to be seen by a doctor. She is still there, waiting to be seen, four hours later...... 

What a day!

I can't quite hit the "like" button when what I really mean is "yikes!"    Hope it all works out quickly.

It is boxing day. My guests for the holiday have departed, and the sun is shining. It's in the mid 50s f and although we have one more night of below freezing the forecasts are for sunny days.

This week will be dedicated to cleaning up the dead plants and trimming back in anticipation of Spring which will start at the end of February.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a wonderful, fulfilling new year. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, alc13 said:

So did we.  We both thought it was terrific.

Same here, we've watched the new Death on the Nile and See How They Run this week so we might have a break from whodunit films tonight!

For the moment,  Mr HH is watching the new Fantastic Beasts film and I'm enjoying the new Kate Atkinson book I got for Christmas. 

• Like 1

I’m taking a break from Lego building. Train was built yesterday, and then rebuilt this morning. Their eyes gleam as they increase and decrease the speed. I have built a helicopter (ell-e-opi-ter), police car and police station. We had a sudden wind storm this morning that made the lights flash just enough to mess up the sound on the TV and send garbage and recycling cans up and down the block. Hopefully by tomorrow I’ll have figured out the sound on the TV so we can also enjoy the new Knives Out movie.

Today was reparations for the bitter cold around Christmas -- bright sun, temp in mid 50's;  walking outside I could actually feel the warmth of the sun on the back of my neck.

Tomorrow night, after a good supper, we will let the new year come in, as it is clearly able to do without our hand-holding, and probably be asleep shortly after ten PM.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, techteach said:

Time to talk New Year’s Eve. What’s everybody doing?

After ringing in the new year on Viking Orion at Cabo San Lucas last year, it's going to be a quieter evening at home this year. We will be watching the antics of AC2 (Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen) broadcasting from Times Square, New York for the ball drop again this year. Their show even manages to provide a bit of quirky (faux-)British humor with cameo appearances by their man on the street, Richard Quest.

• Like 3

As @navybankerteacher mentioned it is unseasonably warm here in the northeast US.  I miss the snow, though.  Not the slipping and sliding and shoveling, but the beauty of a fresh snowfall, and cozy winter hibernating.

Low key as usual for us tonight.  I did buy a nice piece of cheese to have with port after dinner.  We'll spend an hour with Slow Horses (loving it) and then I, at least, will head to bed.  

Happy 2023, Cunarders.  Always fun spending time with you.

• Like 4

For our New Year’s celebration here in Central Florida we have friends coming over for dinner… an annual tradition get-together.

We are smoking a beef brisket on our Big Green Egg… normally we smoke pork shoulder, but we are attempting brisket for a change. Hopefully it will be yummy.

It will be a proper Southern BBQ with homemade macaroni & cheese, baked beans, and homemade rolls.

Then after we eat, some friends will watch the University Of Georgia Peach Bowl football game… I’m not a huge football fan, but some of my friends are and want to see the game.

We will also do a fun gift exchange every year with my friends on New Year’s Eve.

So, it should be a nice laid back evening.

Happy New Year, fellow Cunarders!

2023 means a return to Cunard for me!

That is something to celebrate, for sure!

• Like 4

We’ve just had mulled wine and mince pies after completing the normal Saturday chores. No special plans for tonight - staying in and I will be continuing to catch up on festive TV. The weather here is foul - rain and high winds. I’m wondering if the fireworks display in London will be affected. 

Happy new year to everyone! 🥂

• Like 4

There are fireworks tonight, both at 6 and midnight. While it's warm, it's depressingly cloudy and damp, so we'll probably take a pass on both. Tomorrow, however, will be the Mummer's Parade. And any time it's in the 60s on New Year's Day, you've gotta go to the parade, a tradition with roots from Colonial times..

Mummers Parade - Wikipedia

Best wishes for a healthy new year and lots of calm seas.

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 3

We went round to the pub earlier for a refreshment or two and then came home around 8pm as it was starting to get busy. 

We are now sitting at home with a drink and some snacks and will quietly see in the new year. 

All the best to everyone in 2023. 

• Like 4

I went for a short walk about 8pm and it was lightly foggy.  Temp is low 70s F.  There is a party about five doors down and they are setting off fireworks.  I am watching American football.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 5

The day after the night before. As is our habit we celebrated the New Year as the BBC broadcast Big Ben striking 12, with muffled cannon in the back ground. That's 6 pm central time here.

A Champagne toast at the hour and then a feast with Spinach Quiche, Black-eyed peas which had been simmering for hours, cornbread muffins, and smothered cabbage, all Texas New Year traditions. 

The guests left at 9 pm. I did two dishwasher loads of china, silver and crockery (I have two dishwashers so I can do two loads at a time) About 10, I settled in to listen to and watch the neighbors setting off fireworks, legal in my county, by mid-night the din was amazing. 

No recessions as far as fireworks go in 2022. Now it's 8 am, and I have a cup of Fortnum and Mason Royal Blend in my cup to stir all the synapses so I can get the day going. Today, will be Christmas take down and put away until next year.

The further we get from 2020 the better I like it. Let us hope this year is a good one for all. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Happy 2023, all. Wishing you all a prosperous, safe, and Cunard-filled year. We are heading into the new year in our traditional way  - with wine, felines, and Star Wars. 

24FB2EBA-6CB9-407D-8B88-E901DF8FA025.thumb.jpeg.baee1d6401aaab0041dfb87db296225e.jpeg

That could be my house!  Sleeping cat, check: cat bed with toy, check; wine and TV, check, check... 

• Like 2

It's the last day of my holiday today so we went out for lunch again. It was a lovely day and the restaurant was very busy.

One table had 4 adults and 5 children who were running riot and generally being ignored by their parents. There were another couple of tables with very well behaved children. At one point the Father on one of the other tables said very loudly "Children should be seen and not heard". It didn't have any effect but it amused me!

• Like 4