The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

OK, I’m going to try with this,  my understanding  is that you are correct about your JFK example.  We fly from KEF to JFK, and thenJFK to ATL.  For the reason you state, and a tight connection out of JFK, we decided to ship our luggage home with Luggage Forward, with Viking’s 20% discount. We had that on our WC and it was wonderful to skip the baggage claim and then redeposit the bag and go Through security again.

When flying into Europe from US, you go through immigration in the first country you touch down in.  Then, you are free to travel around any county in the Schengen zone without doing so again.  But the Schengen zone is not completely coterminous with the EU, I don’t believe.  
I hope this helps.

Edited by SantaFe1

7 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Ok world and formerly frequent travelers, I have a customs/immigration question.  It will be lenghty so please pay attention.

My experience when coming BACK into the US is that we clear in at the first US location (we use Mobil Passport), then we collect our luggage, deposit it at a baggage drop for next flight, go through Security and find our next gate.  This scenario has been with American in Miami where domestic and international flights use the same terminal.

What happens at JFK, for example, when your International carrier arrives at one terminal and your Domestic carrier (another airline even though a code share) departs from a different terminal?  Is your luggage checked through or do you need to clear in (Mobil Passport etc.), collect your luggage, find your way to new terminal, deposit your baggage, go through Security and find your next gate.  (Whew, I am tired already.)  I understand that we will have to change terminals and go through Security no matter what but if we need to deal with luggage it will take longer. 

Ok next test.  What about flying to Europe with a connection inside the EU (say Amsterdam)  to elsewhere within the EU. OR how about within the same country in which the first flight lands (such as Madrid as first stop with final destination of Barcelona)?  Will clearing in be in Amsterdam or final destination?  Will luggage go through to final destination?  In the case of Spain, would the clearing in be Madrid or final destination of Barcelona?  Would our luggage go through to Barcelona or would we need to collect and recheck it?

I know, this is a bit much to contemplate with an AM Bloody Mary or a cocktail/glass of wine, but please draw on your experiences and do your best.  Thank you so much for your help.

Your luggage may be checked through to your final destination when on the same airline or codeshare booking, but when clearing Customs in any country, they want to see your luggage. So you will have to pick it up, then deposit with the same airline, or if a different airline, go to next terminal to check in.

When flying through LHR, we always go through UK Immigration in London, but pick up our bags at the final destination. Foreign bags are delivered on a different conveyor belt to the domestic ones, so you then walk through the Red/Green Customs areas.

If we flew into the continent, when UK was in the EU, we cleared Immigration at first arrival and again picked up the bags at the final destination in the UK.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Your luggage may be checked through to your final destination when on the same airline or codeshare booking, but when clearing Customs in any country, they want to see your luggage. So you will have to pick it up, then deposit with the same airline, or if a different airline, go to next terminal to check in.

That wasn’t our experience flying into EU.  What Heidi13 says was our experience. In your case, deal with immigration in Madrid, pick your bags up in Barcelona and then go through customs-you want yo go through the green lane!

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

That wasn’t our experience flying into EU.  What Heidi13 says was our experience. In your case, deal with immigration in Madrid, pick your bags up in Barcelona and then go through customs-you want yo go through the green lane!

I think Linda was responding to the first Q, about flying from KEF into JFK, and that has certainly been our experience.  Same in Dallas, Atlanta, Denver—all our gateway cities.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think Linda was responding to the first Q, about flying from KEF into JFK, and that has certainly been our experience.  Same in Dallas, Atlanta, Denver—all our gateway cities.

Agree with you about coming into the US but Linda said “in any country”. What Linda described which hasn’t been our experience in countries that are part of Schengen. 

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Ok world and formerly frequent travelers, I have a customs/immigration question.  It will be lenghty so please pay attention.

My experience when coming BACK into the US is that we clear in at the first US location (we use Mobil Passport), then we collect our luggage, deposit it at a baggage drop for next flight, go through Security and find our next gate.  This scenario has been with American in Miami where domestic and international flights use the same terminal.

What happens at JFK, for example, when your International carrier arrives at one terminal and your Domestic carrier (another airline even though a code share) departs from a different terminal?  Is your luggage checked through or do you need to clear in (Mobil Passport etc.), collect your luggage, find your way to new terminal, deposit your baggage, go through Security and find your next gate.  (Whew, I am tired already.)  I understand that we will have to change terminals and go through Security no matter what but if we need to deal with luggage it will take longer. 

Ok next test.  What about flying to Europe with a connection inside the EU (say Amsterdam)  to elsewhere within the EU. OR how about within the same country in which the first flight lands (such as Madrid as first stop with final destination of Barcelona)?  Will clearing in be in Amsterdam or final destination?  Will luggage go through to final destination?  In the case of Spain, would the clearing in be Madrid or final destination of Barcelona?  Would our luggage go through to Barcelona or would we need to collect and recheck it?

I know, this is a bit much to contemplate with an AM Bloody Mary or a cocktail/glass of wine, but please draw on your experiences and do your best.  Thank you so much for your help.

I can answer some of your questions. When flying into the EU, the practices there are sane and reasonable if you connect through an EU airport to your final destination in the EU. It is positively simple. You check your bags in the US, go through passport control at the connecting airport in the EU as you transition between the international and domestic part of the terminal, board your next flight, and pick up your bags at the final destination.  Absolute cinch. I love it. 

If the domestic and international parts of the airport are in separate terminals - follow the signs for the "connecting corridors". Do not stray from them or - speaking from experience - you will have to go thru security again. Even if you stay in the connecting corridor, you may still have to go thru Security again. Regardless - you don't have to worry about your checked bag. 

When you fly back to the US, some airports like Wash Dulles have a dedicated international baggage claim area with a connecting corridor so you don't have to deal with security to get to your next gate. Others like Newark don't. Btw how'd you like the follow the colored dots on the floor business in Miami? When I flew thru there coming back from an international trip I kept hearing in my head Firesign Theater's ditty about "We're all Bozos on this Bus" and "Follow the yellow line" as I carefully tracked the purple, yellow, green? dots to guide me to passport control, baggage transfer, etc. Made me giggle.  

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Agree with you about coming into the US but Linda said “in any country”. What Linda described which hasn’t been our experience in countries that are part of Schengen. 

We always pick up our bags when connecting in a Schengen country. Maybe because we seldom fly the same airline on the connection? Not going to chance a lost bag when connecting. It’s happened!

Edited by LindaS272

22 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We always pick up our bags when connecting in a Schengen country. Maybe because we seldom fly the same airline on the connection? Not going to chance a lost bag when connecting. It’s happened!

Most recent example I can think of was flying Icelandair from Seattle to Amsterdam, then Aer Lingus to Dublin (okay, granted, we didn’t pick up bags at the connection in Reykjavik, because it was the same airline and only a one hour connection). We picked up our bags in Amsterdam, went to the domestic terminal and rechecked for Ireland on Aer Lingus. So this was a final destination in Schengen, but different airline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I can answer some of your questions. When flying into the EU, the practices there are sane and reasonable if you connect through an EU airport to your final destination in the EU. It is positively simple. You check your bags in the US, go through passport control at the connecting airport in the EU as you transition between the international and domestic part of the terminal, board your next flight, and pick up your bags at the final destination.  Absolute cinch. I love it. 

If the domestic and international parts of the airport are in separate terminals - follow the signs for the "connecting corridors". Do not stray from them or - speaking from experience - you will have to go thru security again. Even if you stay in the connecting corridor, you may still have to go thru Security again. Regardless - you don't have to worry about your checked bag. 

When you fly back to the US, some airports like Wash Dulles have a dedicated international baggage claim area with a connecting corridor so you don't have to deal with security to get to your next gate. Others like Newark don't. Btw how'd you like the follow the colored dots on the floor business in Miami? When I flew thru there coming back from an international trip I kept hearing in my head Firesign Theater's ditty about "We're all Bozos on this Bus" and "Follow the yellow line" as I carefully tracked the purple, yellow, green? dots to guide me to passport control, baggage transfer, etc. Made me giggle.  

Thank you.  Very concise.  Thank you everyone for your responses.  

16 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

What happens at JFK, for example, when your International carrier arrives at one terminal and your Domestic carrier (another airline even though a code share) departs from a different terminal? 

Last time I entered at JFK my luggage was tagged at first airport all the way home, so right outside customs control there was a “re-check” station where we dropped off the luggage.  We then went to our departing terminal, thru security and to our gate.

This has been the case at every US customs we have come in through. Eight of them if I recall correctly.

Tom

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you.  Very concise.  Thank you everyone for your responses.  

Btw - if you connect thru Dulles coming home  - and maybe at other airports that have a dedicated baggage claim for returning international flights - keep an eye out for cute little dogs. Like beagles. They are there to detect whether you have committed the sin of carrying fruit with you either in your bag or on yourself. So don't carry the apple you got on board with you. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am too lazy to comb through all recent posts so I think I will have a  Negroni and ask those of you up here in the LOUNGE.  What is MDR like on the "Welcome Back Cruises"?  Were reservations mandatory or with set times and table mates? 

I just read on the Bermuda board that all the dining rooms had plenty of vacancies even though technically reservations were required. They just went up and asked to be seated. Of course, that particular cruise around Bermuda only had  336 guests.😳

Tom

4 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Last time I entered at JFK my luggage was tagged at first airport all the way home, so right outside customs control there was a “re-check” station where we dropped off the luggage.  We then went to our departing terminal, thru security and to our gate.

This has been the case at every US customs we have come in through. Eight of them if I recall correctly.

Tom

Thanks.  This was the case at MIA but the international arrived at the same terminal from which the domestic connection left.  Would be greatvat JFK if we didn't have to drag our checked luggage and carry on through the air train to our next terminal.

WOW I would love to be on a Viking Ship with 336 passengers!!!  We are in the middle of trying to sell a house and moving or I would be cruising RIGHT NOW!!!  Even our poor sailboat thinks we have abandoned her this summer!  Word to the wise....moving is not for the faint of heart!!!  We have been in this house for 39 years,  not sure why I thought I needed to change that!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, deec said:

WOW I would love to be on a Viking Ship with 336 passengers!!!  We are in the middle of trying to sell a house and moving or I would be cruising RIGHT NOW!!!  Even our poor sailboat thinks we have abandoned her this summer!  Word to the wise....moving is not for the faint of heart!!!  We have been in this house for 39 years,  not sure why I thought I needed to change that!

After sailing from Dubai to Gibraltar with only 8 pax and 460 crew, 336 pax would seen really crowded.😁😁😁

Don't know how we will survive having to share the ship with 900 others in 2023 !!!🍺

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

After sailing from Dubai to Gibraltar with only 8 pax and 460 crew, 336 pax would seen really crowded.😁😁😁

Don't know how we will survive having to share the ship with 900 others in 2023 !!!🍺

Have another beer 🍺🍺🍺

• Haha 1

Just now, Jim Avery said:

Have another beer 🍺🍺🍺

Jim if  I  drank  beer  I would be.  Getting ready for Iceland is a bear.  Drinking a glass of wine and then retiring!.  We are on the first cruise. Leave Friday.  Wish us well!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Jim if  I  drank  beer  I would be.  Getting ready for Iceland is a bear.  Drinking a glass of wine and then retiring!.  We are on the first cruise. Leave Friday.  Wish us well!

All the best, 

J&L

Since the Venus was "repurposed" and we are unable to do our Trade Routes itinerary in October, we are doing a land/river cruise w the National WWII museum in Normandy.  At the conclusion, we would like to fly to Edinburg and spend a few days, and then down to Oxford/London and then back to the States.

My questions are:

DH has been in Scotland several times during his military service - mainly in the north, and near Glasgow, but I've never been  - any suggestions of tours/guides and  "must sees".  

We are looking at using a bunch of Hilton points - any comments on the Waldorf Astoria caledonia?  or other suggestions?

Finally, after spending 3-4 days in Scotland, we plan to train down to London. Have spent a fair amount of time in London, so looking to visit Oxford and Blenheim (DH is an overly enthusiastic Churchill devotee, so that is a must..and we've managed to cover many of the other Churchill sites during previous visits).

Thoughts on if it would be better to base in Oxford, hire a car or self drive, or simply take private tours from London?  As always, thanks to all or your continued wisdom and advice!