Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

4 hours ago, DuffyMcfluffy said:

Does anybody know if you have to subscribe to Word Press to be able to comment on Captain Mercer’s blog?

Nope; you just have to enter a user name and your email address (only visible to the captain) and enter your comments

• Like 1

Both Amsterdam (0.6 kts) and MSC Orchestra (7.9 kts) underway as we speak. Amsterdam towards the coast and Orchestra away from the coast. Developments?

Amsterdam now also headed away from the coast and starting to pick up speed

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Amsterdam back at her original anchorage while Orchestra is still loitering without a purpose

QM2 and Orchestra both did that every day or 2 also while at anchor in Durban.

Roy

• Like 1

I believe they were heading to Fort Lauderdale since that is where they were going to ship all the luggage back to the WC guests who left the ship in Perth.  But who knows what will happen when they get there now.  There is only crew on board.

3 hours ago, Himself said:

So far she does not seem to be doing anything.  Hope the crew is well!

They are; a bit bored since we aren't on for them to take care of anymore but they are making the best of it.  Some of us are in contact with them.  We ALL were well on the ship, no one had the virus.  If any of us end up with it, it would be from flying halfway around the earth to get home!

Linda R.

• Like 1

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Actually, they, the Italians, were 😉 They have been there several days now

Really?  I was watching the Amsterdam as she was heading there...somehow I missed the MSC ship.  Oh well...I guess we should be hoping MSC goes in then as that would (hopefully) mean that the Amsterdam will get in too.

Linda R.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

They better not be going for fuel/supplies!  "We" were there first!  😝

Linda R.

Actually, no.  Orchestra has been there at least a week.   QM2 came and left while Orchestra sat.  They appear to be just biding their time. 

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

Can someone explain why the ships are having to wait at Durban to bunker fuel and get supplies? I followed the Queen Mary when she was  there and it seemed they went in and back out a few times before they were finally allowed to 'fuel up."

5 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Can someone explain why the ships are having to wait at Durban to bunker fuel and get supplies? I followed the Queen Mary when she was  there and it seemed they went in and back out a few times before they were finally allowed to 'fuel up."

South Africa is in the midst of a sever Covid-19 crisis.  Soon after Amsterdam arrived a team of doctors came on board and did some testing.  They are waiting on the test results before they let the ship in.  A particular concern is Amsterdam has 5 South African crew they are trying to get home.  Not sure why the ships make their periodic trips to sea but I've heard rumors that wind is making anchoring difficult.

Roy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Brand new post from Capt. Mercer. Permission granted to come in to port - prob tomorrow Thu - for bunkering, provisioning, and repatriating five South African nationals of her crew

http://captainjonathan.com/

Great News!  I wonder if any of those South Africans are Medical staff.

Thanks

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Great News!  I wonder if any of those South Africans are Medical staff.

Thanks

Roy

For sure some Steiners (Spa/Gym) going home, incl. their manager, potentially some Art people. Possibly the SA passenger doc, since the crew doc (usually Filipino) will remain onboard. As to any SA nurses going home, only if they could get replacements in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

The Amsterdam is now docked!  Maybe I will get my luggage some day.

Docked but not yet bunkering.  From my following of QM2 I think there are 3 tendering vessels.  Energy is currently filling a container ship while it looks like Funana and Bongani are ready for service.

Roy

Amsterdam is docked.  South African crew will debark and then after fueling and I assume, provisioning, the Amsterdam will depart for Indonesia and the Philippines to drop crew off.  This is such great news in that our crew gets to go home to their families while so many other crew are stranded on ships just hanging out wishing they could go home!  😍  I, for one, will be happy to wait for my luggage....I'll get it eventually as the ship does need to get to Freeport, Bahamas sometime as it's due for dry dock.  I'm not sure, but I think part of this dry dock is the periodically required hull inspection so don't imagine it could be put off for too long.

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.28.29 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1