Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Murray and Ramis, plus girlfriends, wander into Czechoslovakia by accident and when their platoon tries to rescue them and are captured by the Russians, the EM-50 armed duo comes to the rescue to much fanfare and acclaim.

John Winger (Bill Murray):  "C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin."

Stripes is on my Mount Rushmore of 80s comedies along with Animal House, Caddy Shack, and Ghostbusters.  In fact, I can't think of another comedy since then that comes close to those 4 until the original Hangover.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Is the "land yacht" a "remork trailer" or you drive and Bucky drives???

Our country is so small that you don't see such "yachts" 😁

Land Yacht is simply our enduring term for what they call in the RV Motorhome world "A yacht with wheels that travels on land".   Ours has 4 TVs with Blue Ray (one outside) full bath in the back, 1/2 bath mid coach, a "fireplace"...(actually electric with fake flames), full kitchen, separate bedroom, dinette set, washer/dryer, and surround sound theater for movies we like to play.  We replaced couch with "Stressless" (Ekornes) leather chairs and ottomans.  Very much like a yacht for us.  😉 

It's a motorhome that we drive and pull the Jeep behind us with kayaks on top.  Works for us...especially now that we can't cruise.  Will be keeping it longer than we planned.  😮 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice, but I was referring to one of these bad boys.

GMC_Motorhome(04).thumb.JPG.aa5e087336fc64254d6e245d217f2650.JPG

Just for fun, I'd trim it out in NASA colors.

Somehow I don't see the lovely LaLa green lighting my project

See a lot of those vintage RVs at the RV shows.  Pretty cool.  Like car shows for RV enthusiasts.  😉  

Winnebago makes "Vintage" trailers that mirror the old time models.  Not my cup of tea.  Prefer the luxury "creature features".  😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

It's a motorhome that we drive and pull the Jeep behind us with kayaks on top.  Works for us...especially now that we can't cruise.  Will be keeping it longer than we planned.  😮

Is your land yacht in addition to a home or instead of a home?  I know of a few people who own only a motorhome and just constantly move around the country.  Friends of ours have parents that do this.  I said that it must be nice having Grandma and Grandpa come visit whenever they want and have their own place to sleep.  He said just the opposite...there's a community of people who do this and there are set events all over the US at the same time each year.  They'll "drop anchor" somewhere and stay for a few weeks.  Their travel/social calendar is booked months to a year in advance.  

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've done it on the stove. Almost burned the house down. Fire department came because our security system alerted them. 

The only embarrassing part was when my husband came while the department was using the big blowers to get the fumes out. He told the Fire Chief that it wasn't the first time I had done this. (In truth it wasn't even the second.)

I am no longer allowed to put flamable items on the stove.

The fire department was at our house last week. We got a new smoker/grill and I made chicken that smoked a little too much causing the smoke detector to go off which is tied into our security system. I turned it off and a minute later the phone rang but I'm not answering calls if I don't recognize the number. Too many political calls. Of course the call was the security company and because I didn't answer they sent the fire department. I sent my husband out to talk to them. The chicken was delicious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Is your land yacht in addition to a home or instead of a home?  I know of a few people who own only a motorhome and just constantly move around the country.  Friends of ours have parents that do this.  I said that it must be nice having Grandma and Grandpa come visit whenever they want and have their own place to sleep.  He said just the opposite...there's a community of people who do this and there are set events all over the US at the same time each year.  They'll "drop anchor" somewhere and stay for a few weeks.  Their travel/social calendar is booked months to a year in advance.  

It's in addition to our home.  What you are describing are called "full timers" in the RV language.   We considered it, but after having a crazy 16 year old driver smash into it on the highway, that wrecked our first RV, we quickly changed our mind.  That motor home was laid up for massive repairs for almost a year.  Where do you live when your RV is in the shop?  Nope...not going there, happy we had an actual home to return to.  Some love it...I won't take that chance ever again.

Our home is small and comfy, but has a huge 50 foot long RV port attached to the house with full hook ups.  Means it is out of the weather, and hooked up to power (A/C is really needed to keep mold out when not in use).  Makes it very easy to go in and out of the house to the motorhome to stock and get it ready for trips.  Having an excellent RV repair facility in our community is a big plus as well.  

Yes, we book months to over a year in advance for our travels to score the best sites in the best parks.  Planning pays.  🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, now (for me, at least) makes sense. I was thinking the other way around, the Jeep pulling the "yacht"....😁

Oh no...no..no!  Poor little Jeep could never pull that big bus!  😮😉  When we park at an RV park site, the little rag top Jeep is our transportation during our stay.  Grocery store, restaurants, ect.  We have also often gone for overnights in various states to stay at B&Bs.  Gives us a nice base to explore and then come "home" to.  It also lets us take our kayaks to various places.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

It's in addition to our home.  What you are describing are called "full timers" in the RV language.   We considered it, but after having a crazy 16 year old driver smash into it on the highway, that wrecked our first RV, we quickly changed our mind.  That motor home was laid up for massive repairs for almost a year.  Where do you live when your RV is in the shop?  Nope...not going there, happy we had an actual home to return to.  Some love it...I won't take that chance ever again.

Our home is small and comfy, but has a huge 50 foot long RV port attached to the house with full hook ups.  Means it is out of the weather, and hooked up to power (A/C is really needed to keep mold out when not in use).  Makes it very easy to go in and out of the house to the motorhome to stock and get it ready for trips.  Having an excellent RV repair facility in our community is a big plus as well.  

Yes, we book months to over a year in advance for our travels to score the best sites in the best parks.  Planning pays.  🙂 

Send me an email sometime (it is in my sig) letting me know what are the best sites in the best parks.  I am still a few years out, but early planning is my thing!   Thanks in advance!

JC

Today was a Crap on a Cracker kind of day. Woke up to SNOW. Snowed all day. The pic is from the afternoon of the back yard. Had to run errands. Very icy, only skidded a couple of times.

Then the neighbors have a huge pine tree and several branches lean into our yard. One of the branches broke off and dented the fence. I thought someone had bumped into our house.

Then I went to drain the potatoes for dinner. Sink was all backed up. Had to wait for John to unplug it. Potatoes got waterlogged.

I am now drinking wine.

20201020_170945.jpg

• Haha 1

I've been driving a small Mercedes that about once a month wouldnt start. Got jumped and changed the alternator. Changed the battery when I had it towed to mechanic, tuned up, spark plugs you name it. Ran like a top for another month. Mechanic cant find the problem because it works fine everytime henchecks it. If it's not broken cant trace the problem.

Car stopped again. Called the nearest nissan dealer. I've had good luck with them mechanically. I'm not sure Rogue is my type of car, but we compared trunks. Some of the others had a bumped out spot. I'm having to fit my dads transport chair in almost all the time now, unless it's only a few steps. Wheelchairs with the wheels on the side are too heavy, so I got a nice transport chair. But it was almost too much fitting it into the Mercedes so now I got this big rogue. Tons of cargo room in the back. 

Taking it in tomorrow to have it detailed. Rain today so they cancelled. Said it takes 3 to 4 hours. I'll probably just wait for it. My dad hasn't seen it yet. Bet he will be surprised at so big of a car. 

Never traded in a car sight unseen, probably worse deal ever. They came over for it with a tow truck and of course it started right up and runs great. Now they got the problem of finding a problem only happens once a month. Could have not told them I guess. With usually the only place we go is doctors needed reliable. My dad has only been out of the house once since march, doctor, mom twice. (2nd was drive thru at their bank). 

New car is my excitement.

• Like 4

As I've mentioned in some of my posts, I dont feel I can cruise to Europe or a TA right now. Just close to home.

My dad turned 102 sept 3rd, mom is 94, they live alone but I'm their shopper and driver. Dad was a scratch golfer at age 90, too much sun and having skin cancer issues on his head. Skin doctor was the one time he has been out since march. 

Hence my kinda boring only going out of Galveston bookings right now. But I'd so love to live where I can see the ocean again. .. I used to have a oceanfront condo in boca raton. Lol.. some day again I hope. Right now cruising has to suffice. 

Mom and dad, his 102 birthday party last month. 

20201020_225700163.jpeg

• Like 13

17 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Send me an email sometime (it is in my sig) letting me know what are the best sites in the best parks.  I am still a few years out, but early planning is my thing!   Thanks in advance!

JC

With Covid pushing people into RVs as the "Covid safer alternative" travel (and domestic at that)...getting into the parks has become more difficult.  RV sales are through the roof.  Normally we would have gone to Maine next summer, but could not get into our favorite park.  Same thing happened to our early fall season in the Florida panhandle.  We ended up going to the Panhandle of Florida, but not with the RV...rented a few beach side condos instead.

So with Maine, we are renting four different houses in Maine for summer of 2021.  Frustrating when you own one and can't use it.  We got lucky with a cancellation at a park here in the Florida Keys, but was not our favorite and pricing has gone way up for sites as well.  Supply and demand.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Today was a Crap on a Cracker kind of day. Woke up to SNOW. Snowed all day. The pic is from the afternoon of the back yard. Had to run errands. Very icy, only skidded a couple of times.

Then the neighbors have a huge pine tree and several branches lean into our yard. One of the branches broke off and dented the fence. I thought someone had bumped into our house.

Then I went to drain the potatoes for dinner. Sink was all backed up. Had to wait for John to unplug it. Potatoes got waterlogged.

I am now drinking wine.

20201020_170945.jpg

Four letter word..."snow"...plus:    "cold"..."yuck".    We have had nothing but "rain" for days here in the Florida Keys....

But GOOD four letter word..."wine".  😄 

Edited by island lady

In Cyprus on a 4 month deployment. Currently in isolation week 1 of 2 weeks. Three meals a day delivered in takeaway trays, on a bunk bed 2 MTRS apart. All from same flight. Allowed outside for fresh air and to exercise. Have to stay in a taped off area around accommodation.

View nice though

IMG_20201018_095146790.jpg

IMG_20201018_110347904.jpg

IMG_20201018_110513846_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Woke up to SNOW. Snowed all day.

I've thought to brighten your day...

20201020_064851.thumb.jpg.0f414f25b5fa69e1188fac4f20eaf656.jpg

This morning on the beach... 1st step "out of lockdown" -- we're allowed to drive to the beach. The parking lot was full.

20200903_071245.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

20201020_225700163.jpeg

Great to see your parents doing well at their ages, and it's nice to see the sacrifices that you're now making for them.  My wife and I each lost both parents in their 70s/80s.  I still occasionally get one of those moments where I very briefly think that I should call my mother to share some news.

Picture quoted because you can never have too many pictures of Kentucky gear.  I'm wearing a similar 3/4 zip UK pullover right now.  My older daughter went to Ohio State, who I root for in football (hence my profile photo), and my younger daughter went to UK, who I root for in basketball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

My dad turned 102 sept 3rd, mom is 94, they live alone but I'm their shopper and driver.

So nice to see them both doing great and at their home.

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife and I each lost both parents in their 70s/80s.  I still occasionally get one of those moments where I very briefly think that I should call my mother to share some news.

I was lucky in the sense that I lost my father when he was 85 and mother at 93 -- both of them at home, cardiac arrest. They married late and had me after 8 years of marriage. I was 41 when I lost father, and, being an only daughter, I was very attached to him, and miss sharing with him my daily life.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So nice to see them both doing great and at their home.

I was lucky in the sense that I lost my father when he was 85 and mother at 93 -- both of them at home, cardiac arrest. They married late and had me after 8 years of marriage. I was 41 when I lost father, and, being an only daughter, I was very attached to him, and miss sharing with him my daily life.

My parents have been married I think 75 years, since she was 18. WwII they meet. After the war he got to go to Kentucky University... big basketball fan, you can see the UK on his shirt. Lucky for gi bill as they were both poor. Then he was a elec engineer for NASA where he retired from.

I didnt come along until after they settled down after he went to college.

He had rheumatic fever as a teen so didnt get to fly during wwII probably saved his life being a mechanic instead. Was very handy. Hes very frustrated now that he cant just fix everything. He drove me crazy when my car wouldnt start talking about relays and engines and how it couldn't be ignition. At 102 he just cant walk as far as before and talks and talks. Lonely. Sheltering in place no fun. 

Unusual to have both my parents at 94 and 102 and they been married so long. I really really dont want to live here in dallas, I want to see the ocean, but they wouldnt move. What can I do? So I bought a little house nearby. And do what little cruises I can. Buy enough groceries for the time of the cruise and told mom to call cruise lines or my ta to get a message to me if emergency. So far so good.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Great to see your parents doing well at their ages, and it's nice to see the sacrifices that you're now making for them.  My wife and I each lost both parents in their 70s/80s.  I still occasionally get one of those moments where I very briefly think that I should call my mother to share some news.

Picture quoted because you can never have too many pictures of Kentucky gear.  I'm wearing a similar 3/4 zip UK pullover right now.  My older daughter went to Ohio State, who I root for in football (hence my profile photo), and my younger daughter went to UK, who I root for in basketball.

He is a BIG  kentucky fan. 4 or 5 KU hats at least lots and lots of kentucky shirts. They get the extra pay channels so he can watch all the kentucky games. 

Hes from kentucky, little nothing place, one room schoolhouse. 

To say he is kentucky fan understatement lol. He still reads the newspaper, and gets the tv sports schedules. Covid shutting down sports about drove him crazy watching reruns of old games. So glad some sports back. He was a scratch golfer about until he turned 90. 

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

My family are from Louisville. Half are UK graduates and the other half are Louisville grads. Some are big boosters at Louisville. 

I’m an SEC guy. Go Gators. But otherwise, a UK fan. 

M8

• Like 1