Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations to Ava 🤩

The fog was really bad this morning when I was driving to work.   A group of deers ran across the street and I could hardly see them.   Someone should give them glow in the dark safety vests😁

Sorry to hear about your refrigerator,Debbie. We also have a refrigerator problem today.The warranty expires October 31.We called the company that issued the warranty and they said the problem is covered under the warranty and somebody will come to our house to address the problem.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I know this is a Royal forum, but I also know there are a lot of animal lovers on here. Posted today on Holland America FB page is a picture of a true service dog . Joska just gained the honor of sailing and serving her owners for 700 days.🎉🐾.❤️ I have met her at least 2 times on crossings . Thanks for your understanding.

Animals from any cruise line are welcomed here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorry to hear about your refrigerator,Debbie. We also have a refrigerator problem today.The warranty expires October 31.We called the company that issued the warranty and they said the problem is covered under the warranty and somebody will come to our house to address the problem.

Wow, you got lucky with your warranty, Lenny!

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy to hear your fridge warranty should cover your problem.

I rarely ever do it, but I did purchase an extended warranty on the new fridge.  I figure with the way the world is having problems with electronics, chips, etc I should buy this time.  And things are just not made like they used to be.

Our current fridge is just over 20 yrs old.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Last night we went to Ava's Senior Night at her Field Hockey game.  It was her team's first night under the lights.  (They played on the Boys Football Field).  The game had just begun, when the fog rolled in.  Ava is co-captain of the team, and as such, the co-captains wear a yellow arm band.  Luckily for us, Ava also has a yellow hockey stick, so we were able to see her through the fog.  She played an outstanding game, and today we found out that she and another player made the All-Star Senior Team to be played next month.  😊

I bet that was fun to watch.   Congrats!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

As you know, there is really no good way to figure out what age to start collecting. I think many people feel better gambling on having a longer life span and hold off on collecting. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who never get to collect a dime of what they paid in over many years with that strategy. I have no idea what the right decision will be when the time comes to make it.

it is easy, if you know when you are going to die, you know when you should collect.  

O wait, you don’t know when you will die….  

I am close to this decision point, and truly it doesn’t really matter when you collect, what matters is when you don’t make income any more.  Retiring at 62 or 70 in the USA is the extreme….  If you consider the present value of money, retiring early makes a lot of sense if you are not making a lot of money when you are 62, if you are making a lot of money, the longer you can do that the better.  

Does that make sense?

IE SS is not a big number it is a number that can help you in your older years but if you can make significant income that is more important than how much you will get from SS.  

Not doing present value, I was shocked at how little difference it makes when you retire for you total benefit.  Now if you KNOW you will live to be 100 you should wait til 70 to start withdrawing from SS.  If you are going to die at 70 you should take SS at 62.

What you don’t know when you are going to die!!!  Really…. How can you not know this???😆🤣

If you include present value in your calculation before this year and almost double digit inflation it was slight in favor of retiring older.  Now with 10% inflation in the offing retire, now.  O, wait, I did mention SS is not the reason to retire.  The reason to retire is when you can no longer make significant income.  

At some point if you are making significant income, you have to say when do I quit and do what I want.  Some people rock stars, sports stars, hedge fund managers, etc.  Don’t have to make these decisions around SS, but for the rest of us it is a real question.  

I will continue for now to work, but I want to do so many things, when I am 65 and qualify for Medicare, I will retire shortly there after.  

So, in short clarity.  If you are making a lot money you may want to continue to make a lot of money.  If you know you are going to die soon, retire.  If you know you will outlive all of your children wait as long as possible.

That is the math… all else is just emotions.

peace out

jc

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy to hear your fridge warranty should cover your problem.

I rarely ever do it, but I did purchase an extended warranty on the new fridge.  I figure with the way the world is having problems with electronics, chips, etc I should buy this time.  And things are just not made like they used to be.

Our current fridge is just over 20 yrs old.

This was not an extended warranty.When we moved to LI  nearly 20 years ago a neighbor recommended a store that sells appliances as well as home furnishings.We have bought everything there and have never had a problem until the one now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I decided that today would not be a good day to “go big”.  

One of my childhood friends (same age as me), passed away.  He married my 3rd cousin, and we would always reminisce about growing up, when we would have family get togethers. 

Then, I just read that an old girlfriend was struck and killed by a car last night.  Dated for a couple years in high school and a year in college.  Once again, same age as me.  

Not doing anything to tempt fate today. 

Please add me to the list of those offering condolences on the passing of your dear friends.

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Last night we went to Ava's Senior Night at her Field Hockey game.  It was her team's first night under the lights.  (They played on the Boys Football Field).  The game had just begun, when the fog rolled in.  Ava is co-captain of the team, and as such, the co-captains wear a yellow arm band.  Luckily for us, Ava also has a yellow hockey stick, so we were able to see her through the fog.  She played an outstanding game, and today we found out that she and another player made the All-Star Senior Team to be played next month.  😊

Congratulations to Ava.  You go girl!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

it is easy, if you know when you are going to die, you know when you should collect.  

O wait, you don’t know when you will die….  

I am close to this decision point, and truly it doesn’t really matter when you collect, what matters is when you don’t make income any more.  Retiring at 62 or 70 in the USA is the extreme….  If you consider the present value of money, retiring early makes a lot of sense if you are not making a lot of money when you are 62, if you are making a lot of money, the longer you can do that the better.  

Does that make sense?

IE SS is not a big number it is a number that can help you in your older years but if you can make significant income that is more important than how much you will get from SS.  

Not doing present value, I was shocked at how little difference it makes when you retire for you total benefit.  Now if you KNOW you will live to be 100 you should wait til 70 to start withdrawing from SS.  If you are going to die at 70 you should take SS at 62.

What you don’t know when you are going to die!!!  Really…. How can you not know this???😆🤣

If you include present value in your calculation before this year and almost double digit inflation it was slight in favor of retiring older.  Now with 10% inflation in the offing retire, now.  O, wait, I did mention SS is not the reason to retire.  The reason to retire is when you can no longer make significant income.  

At some point if you are making significant income, you have to say when do I quit and do what I want.  Some people rock stars, sports stars, hedge fund managers, etc.  Don’t have to make these decisions around SS, but for the rest of us it is a real question.  

I will continue for now to work, but I want to do so many things, when I am 65 and qualify for Medicare, I will retire shortly there after.  

So, in short clarity.  If you are making a lot money you may want to continue to make a lot of money.  If you know you are going to die soon, retire.  If you know you will outlive all of your children wait as long as possible.

That is the math… all else is just emotions.

peace out

jc

Ok, I still have no idea what the right answer will be when the time comes. Part of my problem is I love what I do. I am in private practice (yes, the tail end of the old generation of physicians) and doing what I always wanted to do since I was, maybe, 10 years old. I have a practice that I started from scratch. And I don't know how I would give it up.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, I still have no idea what the right answer will be when the time comes. Part of my problem is I love what I do. I am in private practice (yes, the tail end of the old generation of physicians) and doing what I always wanted to do since I was, maybe, 10 years old. I have a practice that I started from scratch. And I don't know how I would give it up.

If you love what you do, why stop doing it?  Money is never the answer to what we want to do.  My post is just about the math.  The math is easy, if you know when you are going to die, I can tell you exactly what to do to maximize the money. 

if you love being a doctor, and can’t imagine not doing that…. The calculation is pointless because you have the luxury of winning each and every day by doing your job.  I like my job, but I do not love my job.  I would far rather be hiking in a national park or riding on the FlowRider while approaching Aruba.  So, for me, as my online doctor if you could tell me when I or my beloved DW are going to die, I would be forever grateful for you help with me knowing the right math!🤣

As far as what to do with your practice I deal with my customers who are all independent contractors, and my vendors who generally have a business that is completely based on its existence of their personality and skill set.  IE they can’t easily sell the business because without them and in your case without you, the profitability of the business doesn’t exist.  In other words you have to find someone to take over your business while paying you for it, and to meet payroll.  That is hard.  Very hard.

jc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

For some it is all about money and when they feel they have enough to live how they want, for others, it is more than that.  You love what you do and aren't ready to give that up, nothing wrong with that either.  The decision process is different for all of us.  We have been looking at the big picture more lately but we have a good number of years to go before we qualify for Medicare, so DH will continue to work unless we hit Powerball tonight.😇

• Like 2

I am going to sign up for SS in March. (I think) so the payments can come out at the same time when I am eligible for Medicare. But I might not, because my Medicare (Part B) and some of Medigap will be reimbursed by my former employer. My pension is generous, and I haven't even started getting into the other retirement assets. 

We would like to get out from under two houses though. There are no mortgages, but the property taxes, insurance, wifi and utilities would be more pleasant with just one. Since the other house is unoccupied until we move there. 

And Bill signed up for SS at 62. Because why not? We don't have any kids and we are going to try and spend all of this money before we go. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

For some it is all about money and when they feel they have enough to live how they want, for others, it is more than that.  You love what you do and aren't ready to give that up, nothing wrong with that either.  The decision process is different for all of us.  We have been looking at the big picture more lately but we have a good number of years to go before we qualify for Medicare, so DH will continue to work unless we hit Powerball tonight.😇

Honestly, if I hit powerball tonight I'm pretty sure I'd be at work tomorrow. Nothing wrong with money. It is good for buying cruises.🙂 Problem is I love being a doctor.

• Like 7

@reallyitsmema Tested.  It works for the iPhone and Samsung!  Thanks!  I put the Samsung in airplane mode, turned on wifi then turned on wifi calling.  I was then able to text Sharon's iPhone while she was in airplane mode.  She tried to text back and it didn't work until she turned on wifi call.   Thanks again.   We will enjoy this in January.   @Sunshine3601 try it out. 

I need to see if this will work on airplanes for Samsung. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@reallyitsmema Tested.  It works for the iPhone and Samsung!  Thanks!  I put the Samsung in airplane mode, turned on wifi then turned on wifi calling.  I was then able to text Sharon's iPhone while she was in airplane mode.  She tried to text back and it didn't work until she turned on wifi call.   Thanks again.   We will enjoy this in January.   @Sunshine3601 try it out. 

I need to see if this will work on airplanes for Samsung. 

I am glad you got it to work! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1