Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Our summer of fun with our grandson continues.  Yesterday was in the 90’s, so we made it a beach day.  The Pennsylvania beaches don’t have the nice scenery that we had in California, but the water is warmer.  

41D35034-5B19-497A-837C-28BB86E6939C.thumb.jpeg.ea97ac6e90d3248091781d4b76d34c7f.jpeg

I was surprised there were not more people there.  

• Like 12

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

In looking at the photos and I have an idea if you feel handy.

If you unbolt the leg chunk from the table and use wood glue (where I highlighted both pieces) then clamp it together overnight or a good 24 hrs you might be able to reuse the leg again. You might have to sink a few screws into the smaller piece into the leg to firm it up as well. Then rebolt it to the table. It might be worth a try if you feel handy. 

If it holds the break is at the upper backside of the leg. No one would see it unless they crawl under the table. It might come down to, would you feel comfortable trying and then having Thanksgiving dinner on this table.

Disclaimer… I am not want to be responsible for a table that breaks during any meal. 🙂

3DD25D95-518D-41D0-A1AB-8AC38148067C.thumb.jpeg.636211faaa6732b5dd56b7c4ebe3e75e.jpeg

Thanks Andrew.  That table is fixable.  It's part of a set of 3 similar tables that stack, and I had previously made a glue fix like you described to one of the other tables.  They are fairly cheap tables and we were using the other 2 as temporary nightstands.  We didn't have a plan for what to do with them here, but I'll do as you suggest so that we have it available for something.  I just need to find my clamps.  What's interesting, as you can see from the picture, is that the broken piece of that table leg is still bolted to the table top.  When delivered, the other 3 legs had been unbolted/removed.  That tells me that they broke off one leg and then decided to remove the other legs to prevent any further damage.  We should have removed all 4 legs first.

The walnut table that Micheline is most upset about is round with 2 drop sides and sits on a central pedestal, with 4 support legs off the central pedestal (see the pictures below).  All 4 support legs were snapped off.  I'm not sure how they even did that as it would seem like it would take multiple attempts from different angles to damage the different legs.  Like the table above, we should have unbolted the pedestal from the top and moved it in 2 pieces.  That MIGHT have prevented the legs from getting smashed.  It's possible that someone could glue it all back together, fill in some missing gaps with wood filler, and stain it all, but I think it's probably too far gone.  We'll find someone who can do that kind of work anyway to see what it would cost and how good they think it might look afterwards.  It would be nice to have this table back if it can be fixed.

IMG_7319.thumb.jpg.8036b27641ac33f9c6581b8a10c7a517.jpgIMG_7320.thumb.jpg.1ff8a843c75e4c73dcf261985c4a9ae0.jpg

California Closets shows up today to remodel our master closet and walk-in kitchen pantry.  We designed and ordered everything a few months ago, so no long lead delivery problems.  They think they can be done in a day.  That will be a big help as we can get all of the boxes of clothes and a few other things put away where they will ultimately live.  It will also be mentally good to have an exciting/positive transformation happen after yesterday.  Our painter will be here tomorrow to paint one of the guest bedrooms.  He has repainted most of the rest of the house already.  He is great...finding a good painter is like finding gold.  He will also begin to spray paint our bedroom furniture, transforming it from stained oak to an off white that's better for Florida.

I have good friends staying here Saturday night (golfing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning).  It's good that they are GOOD friends as they don't care about the moving boxes and clutter.  They just need a clean bed and a place to shower.  Even so, Micheline isn't too excited about anyone seeing her house in it's current state.  I have some work to do this week to straighten up as much as possible before they get here.  😁

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 13

This experience seems like it goes beyond the ordinary risks of moving to an issue of negligence. I am no lawyer but I know what that distiction means in the world of medicine. I think this moving company needs to be taught a lession in order to change its behaviors.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wow, I'm lost for words. So sorry. Those pictures just scream lack of respect for you and your property. That is something I have no tolerance for.

My thoughts too.  I am shocked that company can stay in business!!  😮 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This experience seems like it goes beyond the ordinary risks of moving to an issue of negligence. I am no lawyer but I know what that distiction means in the world of medicine. I think this moving company needs to be taught a lession in order to change its behaviors.....

I'll give them a chance to make things right first, but your idea is definitely not off the table.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, fisherguy said:

May be an image of bird and outdoors

Saying hello to my little friend.

OMG!!  How cool is that!!  Falcon?   Gorgeous bird!!  I love Falcons and Hawks.   🙂 

And that VIEW!!   I would have a hard time staying off the balcony just to drink in that amazing view.  🥰

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen’s team won their first ball game of the season. 11-1.  Used 2 pitchers, played 6 in innings and mercied the other team. Owen did well. Played first 3 innings and centre field for the other 3. He had two doubles, grounded out twice and 2 rbi.  He also got home home twice. A great start, with another game Thursday and Saturday.

Excellent!    Sounds like fun too🤩

Have you seen the visitor cat again?

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Our summer of fun with our grandson continues.  Yesterday was in the 90’s, so we made it a beach day.  The Pennsylvania beaches don’t have the nice scenery that we had in California, but the water is warmer.  

41D35034-5B19-497A-837C-28BB86E6939C.thumb.jpeg.ea97ac6e90d3248091781d4b76d34c7f.jpeg

I was surprised there were not more people there.  

This looks like a beautiful lake. Where is this?   

He looks very happy 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks Andrew.  That table is fixable.  It's part of a set of 3 similar tables that stack, and I had previously made a glue fix like you described to one of the other tables.  They are fairly cheap tables and we were using the other 2 as temporary nightstands.  We didn't have a plan for what to do with them here, but I'll do as you suggest so that we have it available for something.  I just need to find my clamps.  What's interesting, as you can see from the picture, is that the broken piece of that table leg is still bolted to the table top.  When delivered, the other 3 legs had been unbolted/removed.  That tells me that they broke off one leg and then decided to remove the other legs to prevent any further damage.  We should have removed all 4 legs first.

The walnut table that Micheline is most upset about is round with 2 drop sides and sits on a central pedestal, with 4 support legs off the central pedestal (see the pictures below).  All 4 support legs were snapped off.  I'm not sure how they even did that as it would seem like it would take multiple attempts from different angles to damage the different legs.  Like the table above, we should have unbolted the pedestal from the top and moved it in 2 pieces.  That MIGHT have prevented the legs from getting smashed.  It's possible that someone could glue it all back together, fill in some missing gaps with wood filler, and stain it all, but I think it's probably too far gone.  We'll find someone who can do that kind of work anyway to see what it would cost and how good they think it might look afterwards.  It would be nice to have this table back if it can be fixed.

IMG_7319.thumb.jpg.8036b27641ac33f9c6581b8a10c7a517.jpgIMG_7320.thumb.jpg.1ff8a843c75e4c73dcf261985c4a9ae0.jpg

California Closets shows up today to remodel our master closet and walk-in kitchen pantry.  We designed and ordered everything a few months ago, so no long lead delivery problems.  They think they can be done in a day.  That will be a big help as we can get all of the boxes of clothes and a few other things put away where they will ultimately live.  It will also be mentally good to have an exciting/positive transformation happen after yesterday.  Our painter will be here tomorrow to paint one of the guest bedrooms.  He has repainted most of the rest of the house already.  He is great...finding a good painter is like finding gold.  He will also begin to spray paint our bedroom furniture, transforming it from stained oak to an off white that's better for Florida.

I have good friends staying here Saturday night (golfing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning).  It's good that they are GOOD friends as they don't care about the moving boxes and clutter.  They just need a clean bed and a place to shower.  Even so, Micheline isn't too excited about anyone seeing her house in it's current state.  I have some work to do this week to straighten up as much as possible before they get here.  😁

So sad and sorry you have to deal with this nonsense.     IMO, the movers should have removed the legs, not you.     they are suppose to be "experts" doing this for a living but I have a feeling they hired a bunch of ding dongs.

You have a great attitude with all of this and I hope you enjoyed your tacos with some cocktails.  

Definitely give Allied "*ell".   They need it and maybe it will prevent this from happening to someone else.    

I am sure it will all come together nicely for your friends arrival.   

Have an Awesome Day 🙂

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Good luck.

You'll going to need it when dealing with these large moving companies. They have  been doing this same kind of stuff  for years but they still remain in business.

As far as packed boxes go, if you packed them yourselves they aren't really liable for anything in the boxes.

Furniture should have ALL been wrapped with moving blankets and it should have been made secure in the truck. When they were loading your furniture were you watching them, did any of their loading look questionable? If so I would have said something right then and there at your loading site in Ohio.

What kind of moving insurance did you sign for when signing the moving documents? That will go a long way in what kind of money you can recover for the damages. If you didn't sign for an upgraded insurance you will only get the standard insurance of .60 cents per pound for anything that was damaged. 

Nothing even close to the real value of the items damaged.

I don't think trying to take them to court will do much good either,  Allied gets these same kind issues alot. Plenty of reviews online which are not good.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Good morning everyone, sitting in our penthouse suite looking out at St Maarten along with the Enchantment of the seas, great cruise so far , heading to orient beach in a couple of hours. 

Be sure to get a  Guavaberry drink while in St. Maarten. They are the best !

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, George C said:

heading to orient beach in a couple of hours. 

I have not been to OB yet but heard great things. Love to see some pictures and review. Cheers I never heard of a Guavaberry liqueur before but sounds interesting.

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have not been to OB yet but heard great things. Love to see some pictures and review. Cheers I never heard of a Guavaberry liqueur before but sounds interesting.

Can only be found in St. Maarten, there is/was a Bar on the left side while walking down the the pier on the left side that has them. Always got one before getting back on the ship after our day on the island.

When getting back on the ship, the bar is on your right.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

a Bar on the left side while walking down the the pier on the left side that has them.

Remember the name by any chance?  Is this the area of shops before you get to the water taxis? I would like to try one when we are there in November. Looks like they add it to different kinds of drinks. Any recommendations?

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Photography is not allowed on OB due to the dress code, even the family beach.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Remember the name by any chance?  Is this the area of shops before you get to the water taxis? I would like to try one when we are there in November. Looks like they add it to different kinds of drinks. Any recommendations?

There is one shop where you can taste different ones, but I unfortunately don’t remember the name.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

There's a bar called Starkey's (first bar as you leave the ship and last bar before you get back on the ship) on the right side of the pier when you first enter the pier area from the docks before walking to the water taxis.  Not sure if this is the same pier bar @Jimbo is talking about but they make a guavaberry colada. I've never had one. I always get a beer.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great minds think alike. I looked around on Google and found it too. I will definitely stop there on our cruise. Thank you Renee!

The Guavaberry Emporium is located in Philipsburg on Front Street. 

• Like 1