What it will take for cruising to resume

eel

On 4/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

We would love to sail on an Oasis Class ship with 1/2 or 1/3 full. We would gladly pay more for this. 

The problem is ....How many other people will pay more and how much more????????

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t see it as a problem with say Royal only selling 1/3 to 1/2 occupancy. 2000 guest on a 6000 passenger ship would be awesome. 

all depends on profit.  Not sure what the break even point is for number of passengers on a ship and cost per passenger factors in.  We, cruise critic people, would probably pay a premium for a less packed ship, not sure the rest of the world feels that way right now.

25 minutes ago, 20165 said:

all depends on profit.  Not sure what the break even point is for number of passengers on a ship and cost per passenger factors in.  We, cruise critic people, would probably pay a premium for a less packed ship, not sure the rest of the world feels that way right now.

Royal can test the market for price point. 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, eel said:

Apparently there is effort underway to train dogs to detect the presence of COVID-19 in humans. Dogs have been very adept at detecting malaria in humans so there is a good chance this may work.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-52057543

If it is succesful and fairly accurate, I could see dogs being part of pre-screening at the dock.  If the dog flags someone as infected, they would have take one of those fast turnaround tests to confirm that they are either positive or negative.

You are going to get the ASPCA on your a_s.  First dog infected with the virus in either N/S Carolina.  Unless the dog(s) wear mask and protective clothing.😁

The only question I have is - do you put the same conditions for the Flu?  Many people do NOT get the flu shot every year and yet they still cruise. Do you now make the flu shot a requirement?

I am all about safety - don't get me wrong on that. But where do you draw the line?

Edited by BeagleAgility

On 4/30/2020 at 9:46 PM, BeagleAgility said:

The only question I have is - do you put the same conditions for the Flu?  Many people do NOT get the flu shot every year and yet they still cruise. Do you now make the flu shot a requirement?

I am all about safety - don't get me wrong on that. But where do you draw the line?

A lot of processes will change through COVID-19 and cruiseships will be affected as well by introducing ways to mitigate the risks even further of outbreaks such as NORO or also the Flu. I don''t know if all passengers will need to have the flu shot but possibly here as well it will become manatory as of a certain age to have it in order to be able to cruise during flu season in the winter months of appox November through April.

• 2 weeks later...

It will become quite obvious when cruising can resume........  International travel will be happening with minimal restrictions as crew will be needed to fly in from various countries around the world to staff the ships.  When that happens cruising will be 3-4 weeks away.  

56 minutes ago, RKHOOKER said:

International travel will be happening with minimal restrictions as crew will be needed to fly in from various countries around the world to staff the ships.  

Most airlines plan to ramp up flights next month.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Where do we find the evidence on that assertion? What "flights" and what frequency?

I've seen quite the contrary - Delta's chairman last week projected nothing but tough times this year, and DAL just announced it will dump its Triple 7 fleet.

UAL pilots are bracing for 30 percent of the roster to be furloughed by October.

And there's this:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/14/american-airlines-trying-to-rebuild-global-flight-network-despite-a-prolonged-decline-in-demand/

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut

On 4/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, BeagleAgility said:

The last time I checked a flu outbreak does not kill 1 out 127 passengers like it did on the Ruby Princess.

I’d say the line is drawn based on the level of contagiousness and deadliness of a disease.  While people can die from Norovirus from dehydration that is an exceedingly rare event, and would be almost unheard of in any first world country or ship with access to basic IV fluids.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Where do we find the evidence on that assertion?

Look on any web site looking to book an international flight - whereas there's almost nothing this month there are some next month. Granted, things change all the time, but as of now choices are going up.

Biker, who plans to fly to Europe from US in June.

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Look on any web site looking to book an international flight - whereas there's almost nothing this month there are some next month. Granted, things change all the time, but as of now choices are going up.

The travel restrictions in and out of the US will not be lifted by June. Airlines do slowly increase flights to the US as of June but it's mainly for Cargo reasons.

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

The travel restrictions in and out of the US will not be lifted by June. Airlines do slowly increase flights to the US as of June but it's mainly for Cargo reasons.

This certainly doesn't sound promising for travelers to Europe:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-bring-14-day-quarantine-210008939.html

Unfortunately, there's also not much cause for optimism with airlines:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-layoffs-1.5572596

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/business/airline-job-cuts/index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/05/14/coronavirus-killing-these-three-regional-airlines-more-die/3116947001/

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

They are cancelling flights on a rolling basis, just like cruise lines.   You may make it to Europe in June but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it. 

24 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Yes.  That may well be.  We flew through Europe about 6 weeks ago DXB-ZRH-EWR.

I think most European countries continue to allow passengers connecting at Eorpean airports as long as you staying within the transit area of the airport, hence even with quanranteen measures to remain in place for longer this should be possible.

22 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I think most European countries continue to allow passengers connecting at Eorpean airports as long as you staying within the transit area of the airport, hence even with quanranteen measures to remain in place for longer this should be possible.

Yes.  We had to remain in the transfer area.  Could not go into the departure/arrivals area.

• 3 weeks later...

As part of the Seatrade Cruise Talks series, industry experts discussed what it would take to bring cruising back safely, from a European perspective.

Although borders are slowly opening across Europe, there are still too many uncertainties and disparities governing individual countries’ travel and tourism guidelines as they ease out of COVID-19 lockdown to enable large-scale cruising activity to return safely and swiftly.

This, according to four European-based industry experts from the ports, cruise line and shore excursions community who shared their thoughts with Seatrade Cruise Group Director Mary Bond in Seatrade Cruise Talks' first digital Curated Conversation piece.

New protocols needed

A resumption of Europe-wide cruising will be a gradual approach with new protocols needed in the first instance, followed by plenty of testing and training that need to be put in place governing port operations, shoreside activities and on board ships, according to Claus Bødker, chair of Cruise Baltic; Michael McCarthy, chair of Cruise Europe; Ukko Metsola, VP government relations, Europe & Asia-Pacific, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.; and Carmen Morosan, global shore excursions manager, Intercruises. 

Click here to watch 'What will it take to bring cruising back safely, from a European perspective?' in the Seatrade Cruise Talks series.

• Like 1

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/china-preps-return-cruising-port-protocols-and-cruises-nowhere-hainan

Amid the continued suspension of cruising activity, China’s Ministry of Transport is working on optimising the Yangtze estuary approach channels to increase capacity and access efficiency for ships proceeding to/from Shanghai, mainland China’s busiest cruise homeport.

Cruises to nowhere from Hainan

The MOT has also approved a post-COVID 19 ‘cruises to nowhere’ operation out of Hainan and is actively seeking the support of a cruise line and ship to participate in the pilot scheme.

However, based on domestic waterway transportation regulations, foreign companies cannot use foreign flagged ships to operate in domestic waters so the pilot scheme is only open to Chinese-owned operators using a Chinese-flagged vessel.

Shanghai officials have said cruise tourism will only be allowed to open gradually from the port and have issued guidelines for prevention and control measures covering post-COVID-19 operations.

These include setting up a COVID-19 prevention and control team, working with relevant parties to monitor and implement protocols.

Daily passenger volume capped at 50% of capacity

Prior to cruising resuming, all port staff will need to complete a special training course, and daily port passenger handling volume should be less than 50% of the maximum daily volume. 

Passengers will need to book an arrival slot at the terminal in advance and register they are in good health.

At the port there will be screening and anyone with a temperature higher than 37.3 degrees C will not be allowed to board.

• Like 1

I went to my dermatologist  this morning and they took my temp.  I had been ridding in my convertible with the top down and I was a little hot.  My temp was 99.2 so I guess based on that I would be denied boarding?  Crazy.  I was at the dentist yesterday and it was 98.0.  Guess it really depends on the accuracy of the equipment also.  My son had his taken the other day and it read 90.0.  He just laughed.

As long as any of this stuff is required to cruise why would I want to?

Edited by mek
  • Like 1