it will not be when but who

jskinsd

My post from the other thread where you were talking about it....

"I think you can take your pick of pretty much any small Caribbean country whose economies pretty much will be non-existent due to the lack of cruise ships and tourism.  When cruise ships fire up the engines the welcome mat will be put out. "

As far as what U.S. ports, no one knows the answer to that at this point.

• Like 1

Given that NCL's Pride of America sails within the flag state (USA) and doesn't cross any borders, I would think that the USA would be the first country to accept ships again. Any other ships or countries in consideration will have issues to consider that would not affect the Pride of America.

I see short, closed loop cruises first - or even floating hotels before that just for the cruise/party atmosphere.  But even for that to happen, there probably need to be guarantees that ships can return to port of departure.  In the US, possibly suspension of the rules that say passenger ships have to go to a foreign port  - or firm agreements with foreign ports that depend on the cruise ships for survival. 

The POA is a US flagged ship, so Hawaii could be a possibility.  I don't know the logistics, but US flagged ships for Alaska would seem to be a viable option as well.

I think the first ports to open will be those that depend highly on cruise ships or tourism for survival - so Caribbean, central America.  While Florida probably doesn't "need" cruise ships per se, if they open back up for tourism, there wouldn't be a reason to exclude ships.  Washington/Vancouver - maybe/maybe not - but Seward might be a possibility for Alaska.

From what ports are they sailing from.  And will they be accepting passenger from all countries.  Will the cities in with cruise port departures be accepting passengers flying in from different countries will even to be able to embark?  Will Hawaii accept people flying in from China?  How about flying in from Europe.  Will it be a world wide lift of restrictions?  

Really doesn't matter what the cruise lines decide.

• Like 2

BC's Public Health Officer was the first one to say "don't go on a cruise ship" So I expect Vancouver, BC to be one of the last ports to open. 

jskinsd makes very good points - I think restrictions will have to lift on International travel or US lift restrictions on "cruises to nowhere", otherwise Cruises might be one of the last industries to open

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Given that NCL's Pride of America sails within the flag state (USA) and doesn't cross any borders, I would think that the USA would be the first country to accept ships again. Any other ships or countries in consideration will have issues to consider that would not affect the Pride of America.

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

The POA is a US flagged ship, so Hawaii could be a possibility.  I don't know the logistics, but US flagged ships for Alaska would seem to be a viable option as well.

Hawaii won't let NCL operate until it is clean. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Hawaii won't let NCL operate until it is clean. 

Unfortunately, the current tests aren't completely reliable - so how does one know?  If the crew doesn't leave the ship and it's been docked since March 14, the info just doesn't add up.

https://time.com/5789745/westerdam-coronavirus-false-positive/

Outside of Aruba and Barbados I would much rather just hang out at one of the private islands.  So just go to the private island, same people on the ship as off the ship, population of such country would not be impacted by disease.

• Like 1