CLUB SUITES- NCL changing Minis?

Sand and Seas

I've never understood how reasonably intelligent people could be confused by the term mini-suite.

IF...and that is a big IF...people really are confused by this, then why do we NEVER see people come back from their cruise expressing their surprise, dismay, and confusion over the fact that their cabin was advertised to have a mini-fridge which...surprisingly enough...was small and nothing at all like the refrigerator in their kitchen at home. 🙄

You would think that to avoid any possible confusion that NCL would rename these appliances as deluxe coolers.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LisaandMike said:

I used to think that a mini suite was a slightly larger balcony cabin with a bath tub too, until we stayed in a mini suite on the Getaway. That’s when we found out that the bath tub perk only applies to smaller ships. A mini suite on the Getaway is maybe 6 inches wider than a balcony. And a spa mini suite has a couple extra nozzles in the shower about belly and knee high. That’s about the only difference we noticed.  I also noticed that NCL is selling what were once called Haven Spa Suites without spa access. So now you can book a Haven suite with a corner whirlpool tub, in the room/cabin, without the spa access and not in the Haven but with butler and concierge service and Haven access.

Sorry, but you are wrong …. on the Breakaway and BA + class ships the mini-suites are longer (by a few feet) than the balcony cabins and the difference is the bathroom - they are equipped with large luxury showers with 6 jets.

The Spa mini-suites are exactly the same as the regular mini-suites but they offer the occupants access to the Spa. Same goes with the Spa Balcony cabins - same as regular balcony cabin but with access to Spa.

On the Jewel class ships the mini-suites are also longer than regular balcony cabins and they have bathtubs. We avoid these because the bathtubs have high edges and we prefer shower.

3 hours ago, LisaandMike said:

I used to think that a mini suite was a slightly larger balcony cabin with a bath tub too, until we stayed in a mini suite on the Getaway. That’s when we found out that the bath tub perk only applies to smaller ships. A mini suite on the Getaway is maybe 6 inches wider than a balcony. And a spa mini suite has a couple extra nozzles in the shower about belly and knee high. That’s about the only difference we noticed.  I also noticed that NCL is selling what were once called Haven Spa Suites without spa access. So now you can book a Haven suite with a corner whirlpool tub, in the room/cabin, without the spa access and not in the Haven but with butler and concierge service and Haven access.

The minis on the NCL fleet do vary.  The GA has family minis with tubs though.

Eta  I guess Club now.

Edited by dexddd

If you look up the definition of "suite" it always says "a set of rooms."  IMHO if it doesn't have a separate living room and bedroom it is not a suite.  I think NCL is very misleading calling a balcony cabin with an upgraded bathroom a suite.  Just another way to milk more money.  Of course that is the purpose of a business.

19 minutes ago, Tutontow said:

If you look up the definition of "suite" it always says "a set of rooms."  IMHO if it doesn't have a separate living room and bedroom it is not a suite.  I think NCL is very misleading calling a balcony cabin with an upgraded bathroom a suite.  Just another way to milk more money.  Of course that is the purpose of a business.

Most hotels have 'Jr Suite' categories which also don't have separate living rooms and bedrooms.

It's a fairly standard category, tbh.

6 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Most hotels have 'Jr Suite' categories which also don't have separate living rooms and bedrooms.

It's a fairly standard category, tbh.

I guess I have never stayed in a Junior Suite.  More than likely I just skipped over them because I would file that under "why bother".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tutontow said:

Well...don't look up the definition of suite, look up the definition of minisuite. It isnt misleading...NCL doesn't call it a suite. In fact, it isn't even in the same category. Upgraded amenities go to H and S category cabins, not to category M cabins, which are minisuites.

Perhaps it would be less confusing if you didn't parse out suite from minisuite. Just because it contains suite in the word doesn't mean it's the same...much like a person can be a boy or a girl even though person contains the word son.

47 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Well...don't look up the definition of suite, look up the definition of minisuite. It isnt misleading...NCL doesn't call it a suite. In fact, it isn't even in the same category. Upgraded amenities go to H and S category cabins, not to category M cabins, which are minisuites.

Perhaps it would be less confusing if you didn't parse out suite from minisuite. Just because it contains suite in the word doesn't mean it's the same...much like a person can be a boy or a girl even though person contains the word son.

I still say they should call it deluxe balcony.

• Like 4

On 4/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, njhorseman said:

We've stayed in Spa suites several times. They've always had butler and concierge service. Is that changing?

no, is always been like that with the Haven Spa suite. Now the spa mini suite does not have a Butler or Haven access.

Edited by spanishguy1970

16 minutes ago, Tutontow said:

I still say they should call it deluxe balcony.

Sure...and we could then call suites "super deluxe balconies" or ultra deluxe balconies" because...let's face it, they really are just larger balcony staterooms with some extra amenities, right?

Studios and insides...isn't that confusing too? Maybe insides should be "deluxe studios"...after all, they are just larger.

What you've missed is the fact that "deluxe balcony" will also cause confusion. Look it up: Deluxe: "luxurious or sumptuous; of a superior kind". So....what exactly makes a bathtub and/or a little more room "luxurious" or "sumptuous"?

Seriously though...aren't we past this by now? Just like the minifridge...if people don't have the comprehensive skillset to know the difference between a suite and a minisuite, they shouldn't be booking cabins. (Interesting that "Penthouse" doesn't contain the word "suite", but nobody gets confused and thinks a) that a Penthouse is not a suite or b) that a Penthouse is actually a "house".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Fun* fact!  'Person' and 'Son', although both related to people, and containing many of the same letters, are not linguistically related at all!  Indeed, their etymologies come from entirely different language families - the similarities are entirely coincidental.

Not the same case with mini(or junior)suites and suites, which are much more closely related to each other.

*may only be fun if you're a language geek. 

Sorry, didn’t take a tape measure. All I said was “is maybe 6 inches wider” and “about the only difference we noticed”. According to NCL site the size difference is 31 Square feet. Don’t know if they’re deeper, wider or more likely a combination of both.

We were told that “some” have tubs and they would try to get us into a cabin that had one. Don’t remember who or when. We were on the poker cruise out of New Orleans December 1st. 2019. What would be ideal is if we, the members of CC, could compile a list of mini suite cabins that have tubs. You see, my wife really prefers a tub. Since we didn’t get one of the unknown numbers of mini suites with a tub, she spent the first day or two trying to get us moved to one of the ones that does.  Eventually she was told the cruise was sold out but that if anyone left the cruise we would be put on the list of people that, like us, wanted one of the ones with a tub.

I like the larger bathroom with 'more luxurious' shower in the Mini-suites on the Away and AwayPlus class ships.  It's not worth paying too much more, but it's definitely nice if you get a good deal. 

Having said that.....back to the question....

Will a Club Suite give you something more than a Mini Suite did?

Are there going to be 'Club' amenities?

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Sure...and we could then call suites "super deluxe balconies" or ultra deluxe balconies" because...let's face it, they really are just larger balcony staterooms with some extra amenities, right?

Studios and insides...isn't that confusing too? Maybe insides should be "deluxe studios"...after all, they are just larger.

What you've missed is the fact that "deluxe balcony" will also cause confusion. Look it up: Deluxe: "luxurious or sumptuous; of a superior kind". So....what exactly makes a bathtub and/or a little more room "luxurious" or "sumptuous"?

Seriously though...aren't we past this by now? Just like the minifridge...if people don't have the comprehensive skillset to know the difference between a suite and a minisuite, they shouldn't be booking cabins. (Interesting that "Penthouse" doesn't contain the word "suite", but nobody gets confused and thinks a) that a Penthouse is not a suite or b) that a Penthouse is actually a "house".

UNCLE

• Haha 1

Looked at some cabin configurations on NCL SeaWeb (agent portal).

Standard Balcony - BF - cabin is 175 sq feet, balcony 32

"Mini Suite" err Club Balcony - MB - cabin is 207 sq feet, balcony same 32

"Spa Mini Suite" M9 - cabin is same, 207 sq feet, balcony 32.

HI - Haven Penthouse - only 255 sq feet on the cabin, balcony is 54.

H9 - Haven Spa "suite" is the same size as the Penthouse

IC - inside - 135 sq feet

• Like 1

These are now showing up on NCL's site as "Club Balcony Suites".   Still that confusing Suite name.  Nothing yet to explain if "Club" means anything different than Mini.

Club Balcony Suite

All the space you need. Relax in your sitting area. Indulge in your luxury bath. Or step out onto your private balcony and breathe in the fresh air while taking in amazing views.

Edited by Sand and Seas

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

These are now showing up on NCL's site as "Club Balcony Suites".   Still that confusing Suite name.  Nothing yet to explain if "Club" means anything different than Mini.

Club Balcony Suite

All the space you need. Relax in your sitting area. Indulge in your luxury bath. Or step out onto your private balcony and breathe in the fresh air while taking in amazing views.

oh god.. if they're going to the trouble of adding 'Balcony' to the new name of the mini-suites, then just name them deluxe balcony!

• Like 2

In looking at the description of these suites showing on a Gem cruise for next March.  If you click on the cabin description it also says that there are additional amenities which includes:

Pre-book dining and entertainment 125 days out

Food and beverage amenities delivered to cabin 2 times during cruise

Laundry bag or pressing service once during cruise

Not sure if these are really anything special but they at least added something when they changed the name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, goldmom said:

In looking at the description of these suites showing on a Gem cruise for next March.  If you click on the cabin description it also says that there are additional amenities which includes:

Pre-book dining and entertainment 125 days out

Food and beverage amenities delivered to cabin 2 times during cruise

Laundry bag or pressing service once during cruise

Not sure if these are really anything special but they at least added something when they changed the name.

thx.

even 'club balcony suite' will cause more confusion than just leaving it as mini-suite.

deluxe balcony or even 'club balcony' would be better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

thx.

even 'club balcony suite' will cause more confusion than just leaving it as mini-suite.

deluxe balcony or even 'club balcony' would be better

I absolutely agree.  Anytime you attach "suite" to the cabin name it makes it confusing especially for newbies.  But they pretty much all do that.  I'm guessing because it will make it look as if there are "suites" at great prices.  It's only after doing some research that you realize the price you saw isn't for a real suite.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 11:10 PM, Sand and Seas said:

What do you think a "Club Suite" will be?    

Cruise Radio reports:  Travel advisers were also told that beginning April 15, Norwegian would be renaming Mini-Suites as Club Suites. No details as to whether that change will have any impact beyond the name.

Club Suites will will feature a variety of onboard amenities including: ability to pre-book onboard entertainment and dining at 125 days prior to sailing, delivery of a food and beverage amenity twice per sailing, 1 laundry bag or pressing service per sailing, and 1 bottle of sparkling wine.  

We just got this from NCL for an upcoming cruise.  Highlighted new amenities below:

April 15, 2020
IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: FLEET-WIDE STATEROOM RECATEGORIZATION
Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:
Norwegian  Cruise  Line  has  important  information  for  you  regarding  stateroom  category  changes  being made on our ships fleet-wide. 
To enhance our guest’s experience onboard, our Mini-Suite stateroom categories are being reintroduced as Club Balcony suites and entitles our guests to some extra amenities, at no additional cost to your current reservation. Please note that this change does not affect your current stateroom location or number. 
Our Club Balcony suites will be available on the following ships and sail dates: 
• Norwegian Encore: From August 30, 2020 • Norwegian Jewel: From September 14, 2020 • Norwegian Joy: From September 19, 2020 • Norwegian Sun: From October 3, 2020 • Norwegian Bliss and Breakaway: From October 4, 2020 • Norwegian Pearl: From October 10, 2020 • Norwegian Escape: From October 11, 2020 • Norwegian Gem: From October 30, 2020 • Norwegian Epic and Dawn: From November 8, 2020 • Norwegian Getaway: From November 12, 2020 • Norwegian Jade: From November 20, 2020 • Norwegian Star: From November 28, 2020 
Our new Club Balcony suites will feature a variety of onboard amenities including: 
• Ability to pre-book onboard entertainment and dining beginning at 125 days prior to sailing • Delivery of a food and beverage amenity twice per sailing • 1 laundry bag or pressing service per sailing • 1 bottle of sparkling wine
We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard one of our beautiful ships for your vacation at sea! 
Sincerely,
Katty Byrd Vice President Guest Services

• Like 2

We just received this email as well for our November 30th Gem sailing. 

To be honest, the new ships "mini suites" were no different than a balcony cabin.  The Escape mini suite was virtually the same cabin, with a nicer bathroom.

The Gem mini suite has significantly more space, AND it has a really heavy curtain that separates the bed from the sofa/sitting area.  For someone who snores (him) and someone who only sleeps a few hours a night (me), that heavy curtain means the difference between a good nights sleep and a cranky partner 🙂

Any idea on how this bottle of sparkling wine is combined with the latitudes reward sparkling wine? Are they delivered on different days? I know we don't know from Norwegian yet but I am wondering if there is a standard practice on other cruise lines when rewards overlap.