Now for something completely different

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Certainly some Judges do seem to judge the face not the dog,  but they are Judges I would see on the entry form and not enter that show., The whole idea behind confirmation showing is to improve the breed by breeding dogs as close to the standard as possible and every breed I have been involved in my goal (or wish) was that at the end of my time the breed as a whole would be better than at the start of my time, I like to think that I did a little towards that goal.

But my main reason was simply a love of animals.

And your love is being rewarded tenfold now!  I assume The Junior Dog Handler is the handler not the dog, which is why they make them change dogs. 

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

And your love is being rewarded tenfold now!  I assume The Junior Dog Handler is the handler not the dog, which is why they make them change dogs. 

Yep junior handler is the handlers age.

In a dog show each breed is broken into classes, most shows have Baby Puppy, Puppy, Junior, Intermediate, Aus Bred and open, dogs and bitches (yep that is the correct term). Then the winner of each class contests challenge and challenge dog and challenge ***** compete for Best of Breed, the winner of each breed in a group (7 groups) compete for best in Group (and best of each age in the group) and finally the winners of the 7 groups go out for Best in Show, and each age group in show, so best in show may easily have overcome over 1,000 other dogs to win that honour. I listed the main classes there are others for example many Queensland shows have State bred, officially the following classes can be offered

SECTION 1
1.1 Classes for Exhibit at a Show
No Classes, for which points may be earned towards an ANKC Ltd approved title shall be offered at a show unless those points are to be awarded to all exhibits eligible to receive them under these regulations. (10/11)
General Classes
Name No. Baby Puppy 1 Minor Puppy 2 Puppy 3 Junior 4 Intermediate 5 Novice 6
Graduate 7 Limit 8
State Bred 9 Australian Bred 10
Open 11 Puppy Neuter 15 Junior Neuter 16 Intermediate Neuter 17 Open Neuter 18 ***** Classes 19
Description
Baby Puppy For dogs aged three and under six months.
Minor Puppy For dogs aged six and under nine months.
Puppy For dogs aged six and under twelve months.
Junior For dogs aged nine and under eighteen months.
Intermediate For dogs aged eighteen and under thirty-six months.
Novice For dogs six months of age or over which have not won a First Prize at any Open Parade, Open Show or Championship Show (subject to Member Body Rules). Baby puppy and Local classes excepted. (For the purpose of classifications (6) and (6A) First Prizes won up to and including the day before the date of entry close in a Show only shall be taken into account but such restriction shall not apply in the case of a Special Prize for which more than one win is required).
Graduate For dogs six months of age or over which have not won a Challenge Certificate up to and including the day before the date of entry close.
Limit For dogs over twelve months of age which are not Champions, or have not gained sufficient points to qualify as a Champion up to and including the day before the date of entry close.
State Bred For dogs six months of age or over bred in the State or Territory in which they are exhibited. (Amended 10/10, 7.47)
Aus Bred For dogs aged six months or over bred in Australia. (A Member Body may reserve the right to exclude all, or any, of the recognised Australian Breeds). (Amended 10/10, 7.47)
Open For dogs aged six months or over and of a breed or variety recognised by the ANKC Ltd.

There is also Bred by Exhibitor and Champion (dogs that have  obtained the Title Australian Champion or above)

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The live my Maxy gives me is 1000000 times what I can ever give the way he stands over me when I am unable to move or stands guard while the medics work, it just snuggles in when I am in agony

is so heart warming.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The live my Maxy gives me is 1000000 times what I can ever give the way he stands over me when I am unable to move or stands guard while the medics work, it just snuggles in when I am in agony

is so heart warming.

Priceless.  I saw a man, showing sheep during a sheep doll trial, keel over in front of me once at the Ekka.  His dog wouldn't leave him for a second (against rules).  His wife came in to the rink and sat on the bridge until the ambulance came.  Such devotion and love towards his owner.  I think we were all in tears.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

is so heart warming.

Gut treasure your puppy, we just had to put our 14yr old kelpie down yesterday.

We bought her home from the vet then drove out to the farm where she had been a working dog for the first couple of years of her life and buried her on the hill looking out over the Hastings River, she was still warm in the calico bag they put her in as we laid her in the earth.

We are still crying, it's so quiet here and every time I go out on the deck she is not there curled up on her chair. My husband is not an emotional man, and has never had a pet, being bought up on a farm, but he loved this dog, she was his girl🥰

• Like 1

Just now, cheznandy said:

We bought her home from the vet then drove out to the farm where she had been a working dog for the first couple of years of her life and buried her on the hill looking out over the Hastings River, she was still warm in the calico bag they put her in as we laid her in the earth.

We are still crying, it's so quiet here and every time I go out on the deck she is not there curled up on her chair. My husband is not an emotional man, and has never had a pet, being bought up on a farm, but he loved this dog, she was his girl🥰

Sorry to hear that, it is such a hard decision to let them go. Yep I’ve seen the hardest of men cry at this time. Funny about working dogs, you hear how much help they are (and I know they can be) but then you are on a farm and hear a million times a day “get out of there you mangy mongrel”.

visited a friends sheep property once, said hard working dog spent most of his day sitting on the back of the quad bike, drooling for a half a sandwich or a spot of hot tea in his bowl, didn’t seem to do much work, but stayed within about 6 inches of old Snow the shepherd 24/7.

5 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

So sorry for your heartbreak.  Was that a good age for a kelpie?  I don't know how my daughters are going to handle their whippets dying as they are their first dogs.  One daughter is already talking about getting another whippet to prepare. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Kelpie's are lovely dogs. We had a Staffordshire/Kelpie cross and she was fantastic.

It is a sad day for you. Soon, you will just remember your great times with her.💔

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Sorry to hear that, it is such a hard decision to let them go. Yep I’ve seen the hardest of men cry at this time. Funny about working dogs, you hear how much help they are (and I know they can be) but then you are on a farm and hear a million times a day “get out of there you mangy mongrel”.

visited a friends sheep property once, said hard working dog spent most of his day sitting on the back of the quad bike, drooling for a half a sandwich or a spot of hot tea in his bowl, didn’t seem to do much work, but stayed within about 6 inches of old Snow the shepherd 24/7.

Andy bought her home as a pup for his dad, but had an eye problem, common for kelpies. she was running into fences and was to quick with the cattle, we couldn't stand to see her on the chain so bought her home, that was 9 years ago. She had a good easy life here.

We have worked on cattle and sheep stations in the Flinders Ranges and know how some dogs are treated. To a farmer they are workers......and breeders haha!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Chez..Commiserations to you and Andy. Such a loss losing your dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Kelpie's are lovely dogs. We had a Staffordshire/Kelpie cross and she was fantastic.

It is a sad day for you. Soon, you will just remember your great times with her.💔

Yes, they are lovely loyal dogs. Active when young, but easily taught, love routine and just want to please. Ours was anxiety ridden, hated thunder and spray bottles, ( think she may have been sprayed with a chemical) wouldn't have a bath but would swim in the river!!

• Like 2

Just now, cheznandy said:

Yes, they are lovely loyal dogs. Active when young, but easily taught, love routine and just want to please. Ours was anxiety ridden, hated thunder and spray bottles, ( think she may have been sprayed with a chemical) wouldn't have a bath but would swim in the river!!

I always said our dog was easier to train than my husband. We only had to tell her once that she wasn't to do something, and she obeyed.

She also hated thunder. On one occasion when we were away, she took off in a thunder storm. Our daughter was at home and received a phone call from someone several suburbs away who said they had her. She wore a disc on her collar with our phone number on it. We didn't allow her to go upstairs to the bedroom level of our house, but if there was a storm, we pretended we didn't see her when she crept into our bedroom.

Remember and talk about the goods times with your girl, even if at the moment, it is with a sad smile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I always said our dog was easier to train than my husband. We only had to tell her once that she wasn't to do something, and she obeyed.

She also hated thunder. On one occasion when we were away, she took off in a thunder storm. Our daughter was at home and received a phone call from someone several suburbs away who said they had her. She wore a disc on her collar with our phone number on it. We didn't allow her to go upstairs to the bedroom level of our house, but if there was a storm, we pretended we didn't see her when she crept into our bedroom.

Remember and talk about the goods times with your girl, even if at the moment, it is with a sad smile.

Awww.....poor puppies hating storms.

I taught Ellie in one day to sit, and wait for her food, so clever.

Ok Gut, back to your puppy, sorry for hijacking!!

It's Friday night homemade pizza night here, and I think Andy will need a few beers this arvo when he gets home!

1 minute ago, cheznandy said:

It's Friday night homemade pizza night here, and I think Andy will need a few beers this arvo when he gets home!

Nah no such this as hijacking.  Let Andy have a couple, I remember a few years ago (strewth must be over 20 now) we lost a Dal to cancer that night there was game of footy on, normally I’d watch, but one player had the same name as my boy so had to turn it off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cheznandy said:

My dogs hated storms and thunder, Bindi the Lab hated them. Re pizza, i just made and baked a pizza, gf Toscana base, tomato paste, cheese, mixed herbs, chilli flakes, ham, prawns, cheese, onions, mushrooms and pineapple. Lubbly jubbly. Washed down with  a couple of glasses of Hardys Shiraz 🍷.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

My dogs hated storms and thunder, Bindi the Lab hated them. Re pizza, i just made and baked a pizza, gf Toscana base, tomato paste, cheese, mixed herbs, chilli flakes, ham, prawns, cheese, onions, mushrooms and pineapple. Lubbly jubbly. Washed down with  a couple of glasses of Hardys Shiraz 🍷.

Leave off off the mushrooms and send a slice or two my way.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

A great Friday night treat, and home made, too.  Sounds perfect, Les...well done (except for the pineapple😆).  Fire at will....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, NSWP said:

MELBOURNE FLOODS: Some serious flooding around Melbourne, I trust you all out there are handling it ok.

All the best guys.

A friend who works at Victoria University posted these photos yesterday. Riverside car parks looking towards Flemington Racecourse. Somewhere under there is a busy road bridge. 

FD487365-B26E-4AAD-A7E3-8F78015C0C24.thumb.jpeg.d03b4fcc1b3142f9f00205803932018c.jpeg

1FA9BBE1-3CC2-452D-9B41-57FD92859B2B.thumb.jpeg.4590f3bd48da36f1f0e648fd699e4b44.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, cheznandy said:

Chez,

Hugs to you and Andy. Some pets just change your life for the better, and it is a sad sad day when they have to go. Our daughters cat decided to adopt me, and that day is coming up sometime soon for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got a bit behind with reading on this thread from our travels last weekend. I am sending best wishes to all those having a hard time in general, and some extra special thoughts for those in the CC emergency ward. Take care.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

A friend who works at Victoria University posted these photos yesterday. Riverside car parks looking towards Flemington Racecourse. Somewhere under there is a busy road bridge. 

FD487365-B26E-4AAD-A7E3-8F78015C0C24.thumb.jpeg.d03b4fcc1b3142f9f00205803932018c.jpeg

1FA9BBE1-3CC2-452D-9B41-57FD92859B2B.thumb.jpeg.4590f3bd48da36f1f0e648fd699e4b44.jpeg

Thoughts and prayers for all souls affected, in any manner of ways

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, cheznandy said:

Chez, so sorry to hear about your beloved Kelpie. I do know how you feel as we lost our cat back in June and the house seems empty without him. (((((Hugs)))))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the civic elections were held yesterday. All but one of the existing council got fired including the Mayor. This could make it more difficult for our house sale to proceed. It is conditional on a development permit and the new council is not going to be quite as liberal handing those out as the last council was. Oh well time will tell, We aren't desperate to sell, we're comfortable and the mortgage is manageable so we are okay to stay here. We have a lot of equity in this place so if it takes a little longer to cash that in oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well the civic elections were held yesterday. All but one of the existing council got fired including the Mayor. This could make it more difficult for our house sale to proceed. It is conditional on a development permit and the new council is not going to be quite as liberal handing those out as the last council was. Oh well time will tell, We aren't desperate to sell, we're comfortable and the mortgage is manageable so we are okay to stay here. We have a lot of equity in this place so if it takes a little longer to cash that in oh well.

Fingers crossed it all goes through as you are hoping, Lyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1