They should extend FCC into all of 2022 as 2021 no availability

Windsurfboy

16 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

They should extend FCC into all of 2022 as 2021 no availability. 

By the time my June cruise is cancelled nothing left and only option is refund. 

A little bit confused? If you consider that there was enough availability for guests in 2020, and it has been said that 55% of those that have cancelled 2020 have gone for refunds rather then FCC, bookings for 2021 must show a shortfall of 55%. Very simplistic but the principle seems right.

Edited by mercury7289
correction

8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

A little bit confused? If you consider that there was enough availability for guests in 2020, and it has been said that 55% of those that have cancelled 2020 have gone for refunds rather then FCC, bookings for 2021 must show a shortfall of 55%. Very simplistic but the principle seems right.

You have to bear in mind that many people, before the cancellations, would have booked already for 2021. 

We book at launch usually and had 2 for next year already and many others will have done the same. 

So, add to that, 45% onto already booked cruises, explains the lack of availability. 

Andy 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

They should extend FCC into all of 2022 as 2021 no availability. 

By the time my June cruise is cancelled nothing left and only option is refund. 

Refunding is by far the most sensible option anyway, IMHO. As others have said, many of us book at launch as that’s when you get the lowest prices for Select bookings (well, prior to the crisis, anyway) and the best choice of cabins. P&O is being deliberately  crafty only allowing FCC to be used up to March 2022, as these cruises have all been on sale for a while and are now more expensive than at launch, many by more than the 25% ‘extra’ FCC that they are offering. Consequently, many people will have made bookings prior to the crisis, often with very small deposits, and will not consider cancelling until balance due date (12 weeks before sailing, or a week or two earlier if via a TA). I would therefore anticipate much better availability closer to launch, but that comes with its own risks as FCC is not protected by ABTA until converted to a booking. For all these reasons, and more, IMO anyone still able to should take the full cash refund and start again. Cash is King in these uncertain times and if you want a cruise in Summer 2022 you can then book at launch and probably come out on top financially over the spurious ‘25% incentive’.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You have to bear in mind that many people, before the cancellations, would have booked already for 2021. 

We book at launch usually and had 2 for next year already and many others will have done the same. 

So, add to that, 45% onto already booked cruises, explains the lack of availability. 

Andy 

Andy yes understand that,we had 3 booked for 2020 and 2 for 2021. However you then need to add to the mix those over 70 recommended not to cruise, and those with health issues, both who will have insurance issues.

The main point I was trying to convey is that a number of posts both here and elsewhere are intimating that there is a lack of availability, I cannot see that. I think taken together it conspires to create a non existent situation.

Only my feelings. There are reds under the bed everywhere!

16 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Andy yes understand that,we had 3 booked for 2020 and 2 for 2021. However you then need to add to the mix those over 70 recommended not to cruise, and those with health issues, both who will have insurance issues.

The main point I was trying to convey is that a number of posts both here and elsewhere are intimating that there is a lack of availability, I cannot see that. I think taken together it conspires to create a non existent situation.

You are probably right, but all the over 70s etc won't have cancelled their cruises for next year yet, especially as most are very low deposits so, like us, many will wait and see, leaving bookings in place that possibly won't go ahead. 

This just creates the perceived lack of availability at the moment. 

Hope you are keeping safe and well Mercury. 

Andy 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Never mind intimating lack of availability, I'm stating there is one. Trying to find a cruise to transfer to next year and really struggling. We were going as a small group and my friend had booked a suite for his 40th. Even on the Mediterranean cruises in the less popular months, there are very few or no suites available. Not so much of an issue with our balcony cabin as we're not fussy about where we are on the ship. You can do all the calculations you want, but that is the truth of the matter. 

• Like 1

I honestly do not think there will be a problem with availability in 2021 if you have already not got cruises booked pre pandemic. Once this is over and cruise lines start cruising again I think they will really struggle to fill ships and will be lots of availability and lower prices. I certainly wouldnt have a FCC and book another straight away at today's prices as I am sure there will be offers either hang on to FCC and gamble that cruise line doesnt go under and lose FCC or ask for cash refund. Me personally FCC is too much of a gamble and as they say cash is king.

• Like 4

This scenario is one reason we are waiting for our cruise to be canceled so we can take a refund instead of a FCC. There are too many unknowns at this point. We will take the refund and then can book another cruise in our timeframe with whatever cruise line we choose.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You are probably right, but all the over 70s etc won't have cancelled their cruises for next year yet, especially as most are very low deposits so, like us, many will wait and see, leaving bookings in place that possibly won't go ahead. 

This just creates the perceived lack of availability at the moment. 

Hope you are keeping safe and well Mercury. 

Andy 

Yes, thank you, things are settling into a routine, plus with our wonderful local village volunteer doing our shopping, our immediate needs are being catered for. Still unable to get supermarket slots to save her some trouble, but have managed to book various on line goodies, some due in this week.. Wine!- Cornish Pasties from Cornwall, Steak and Kidney Pies,from Greenwich and Olives. The man food is for me!

• Like 3

I hope that they do extend the FCC date, just cancelled out August cruise.

My husband is a key worker and  he can't book any annual leave,  obviously his manager and HR are too busy to  be approved annual leave for next year!

Looking at the increase in fares I think we might end up with a 2 night cruise.

But as long as we come through this that's all that matters.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Refunding is by far the most sensible option anyway, IMHO. As others have said, many of us book at launch as that’s when you get the lowest prices for Select bookings (well, prior to the crisis, anyway) and the best choice of cabins. P&O is being deliberately  crafty only allowing FCC to be used up to March 2022, as these cruises have all been on sale for a while and are now more expensive than at launch, many by more than the 25% ‘extra’ FCC that they are offering. Consequently, many people will have made bookings prior to the crisis, often with very small deposits, and will not consider cancelling until balance due date (12 weeks before sailing, or a week or two earlier if via a TA). I would therefore anticipate much better availability closer to launch, but that comes with its own risks as FCC is not protected by ABTA until converted to a booking. For all these reasons, and more, IMO anyone still able to should take the full cash refund and start again. Cash is King in these uncertain times and if you want a cruise in Summer 2022 you can then book at launch and probably come out on top financially over the spurious ‘25% incentive’.

FCC on RCL is for sailings only up to December 2021 which makes P&O look generous.

• Like 1

Only one thing to say. “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”.  My cruises for 2021 are booked on a low deposit.   I will cruise if I feel safe but no amount of price inducements will temp me to cruise unless I do feel it is safe to do so.   AND I AM HARDENED CRUISER

• Like 5