Don't Cry for Me Argentina.....

Flatbush Flyer

I think Argentina is only the first Country continuing with restricting travel. More are to come.

While there are some that demand re-opening for economic reasons, there are those that want to ensure the medical issues are cleared internally. Transmission of COVID was purely from travelers coming into the Country.

This will really hurt the Argentine economy. With crazy high inflation already of the Argentine peso, they need the dollars that come in via tourism and business travel. I am glad I visited there in BA for 3 days at the end of a Cape Horn cruise in Feb. 2018, cruise was on Emerald Princess. I hope to go back to Argentina/Patagonia/Chile some day as a land trip.

I feel sad for those "wealthy" South American countries. Even semi-advanced countries like Mexico, Argentina or Peru will suffer a lot from pandemic. Simply because their medical service is just slightly higher than in countries of Africa. All they can depend on is the support from the US or wealthy European countries. I can already see ships from Europe bringing provisions to South America to help it overcome the consequences

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

I hope to go back to Argentina/Patagonia/Chile some day as a land trip.

Our Antarctica cruise began in BA and had a land tour of Argentinian and Chilean Patagonia. In its own way, it was as incredible as Antarctica.

Our son and family live 1/2 the year in Argentina and 1/2 the year in Montana.....they had plane reservations to fly to Montana the end of May and kids were staying in Montana the next few years to finish high school and start college.....not sure how they are going to get back now. 😢

In late February 2020 we ended our Rio to BA cruise on Oceania Marina.  The cruise was very enjoyable.  We spent an additional four days in Buenos Aires (day trip to Colonia).  We enjoyed the food, architecture and museums/sites in Buenos Aires.  We were in town during the last two nights of Carnival.  The streets were packed.  My wife and I bought thought that this was the perfect incubator for Covad 19 .  Argentina had reported no cases at that time.  It should have reported no known cases.  It is sad, Argentina has had such a regrettable history.  Only the ordinary people will suffer.

Joel Barry

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

In late February 2020 we ended our Rio to BA cruise on Oceania Marina.  The cruise was very enjoyable.  We spent an additional four days in Buenos Aires (day trip to Colonia).  We enjoyed the food, architecture and museums/sites in Buenos Aires.  We were in town during the last two nights of Carnival.  The streets were packed.  My wife and I bought thought that this was the perfect incubator for Covad 19 .  Argentina had reported no cases at that time.  It should have reported no known cases.  It is sad, Argentina has had such a regrettable history.  Only the ordinary people will suffer.

Joel Barry

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/?fbclid=IwAR14AqhgatBjakEIjhOXJOfLqdgc6xcwoxAY5dUwTs1dpXSTBGH40MVgoXs

I shared this map on FB yesterday and wondered about Argentina having fewer cases than Chile.

We did that same cruise in December and stayed over in BA also. We loved the city and would like to return.

• Like 1

We sailed from BA in January 2002 and had a wonderful time in the city before our cruise.  I grieve for what will happen to their tourist economy without any tourists.  Even Argentian citizens cannot fly (from what I read).

Such a beautiful city.  My father was there in 1938 with Toscanini's NBC Symphony and it always remained his favorite city.  When we finally got there we were equally entranced.   I can't say I have a favorite, but BA would be up at the top of the list.  (It didn't hurt that at the time I had a friend on Opera-l who gave us a private tour!)

Mura

1 hour ago, clo said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/?fbclid=IwAR14AqhgatBjakEIjhOXJOfLqdgc6xcwoxAY5dUwTs1dpXSTBGH40MVgoXs

I shared this map on FB yesterday and wondered about Argentina having fewer cases than Chile.

We did that same cruise in December and stayed over in BA also. We loved the city and would like to return.

Argentina shut down all incoming international flights on the 12MAR, closed their borders on the 19MAR and declared "stay at home" orders on the 16MAR....residents are not allowed to leave their home except to go the closest grocery store, only 1 person in car and there are checkpoints all over town and you must show them your grocery receipt, etc. or your car will be confiscated and you will be fined.  There is a curfew that begins at 8PM and since Argentine restaurants do not open until after 8PM, there are no meal deliveries available.  Also no Amazon or other businesses that offer "online" purchasing/delivery.

Our family live outside Buenos Aires and when their printer ran out of ink they have no way to purchase!

This is how they have kept their COVID-19 rate and deaths down.....not like "shelter in place" with people allowed out when ever they want to go where ever they want as in other countries...

3 minutes ago, basor said:

.not like "shelter in place" with people allowed out when ever they want to go where ever they want as in other countries...

Thank you so much for elaborating. Not all countries are like the US. UK, Australia and a bunch of other countries have very strict laws in place. I bet your family is more worried about you than the reverse. Best of luck to all of you.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Thank you so much for elaborating. Not all countries are like the US. UK, Australia and a bunch of other countries have very strict laws in place. I bet your family is more worried about you than the reverse. Best of luck to all of you.

We have family Zoom game nights every week and chat a lot …...they know we are doing just fine and not worried about us.  All of us are more worried about them figuring out how to get back to the US since Argentina has now banned all domestic and international travel until SEPT and their return flights were for May.

Just now, basor said:

We have family Zoom game nights every week and chat a lot …...they know we are doing just fine and not worried about us.  All of us are more worried about them figuring out how to get back to the US since Argentina has now banned all domestic and international travel until SEPT and their return flights were for May.

I've read that some countries are allowing "repatriation" but is that likely incoming rather than outgoing. 

PS: Where in Oregon? We used to live in Grants Pass.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I've read that some countries are allowing "repatriation" but is that likely incoming rather than outgoing. 

Both born and raised in Beaverton, moved around SW Portland area and now live in Tigard...love Grants Pass- went rafting on the Rogue every summer in the 80's - 90's...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, basor said:

Could they fly out of Montevideo which can easily be reached from Argentina (or maybe not)?

On our BA-Valpo cruise in January 2002 our first stop was Montevideo and it was a quick overnight trip.  But that doesn't mean it's easily reached, I guess ...

Mura

6 minutes ago, Mura said:

On our BA-Valpo cruise in January 2002 our first stop was Montevideo and it was a quick overnight trip.  But that doesn't mean it's easily reached, I guess ...

Mura

I am pretty sure that you can take a boat across river Plate (?) from Argentina to Uruguay - I know we did it. Whether that is allowed now is a different story. 

6 hours ago, basor said:

Argentina shut down all incoming international flights on the 12MAR, closed their borders on the 19MAR and declared "stay at home" orders on the 16MAR....residents are not allowed to leave their home except to go the closest grocery store, only 1 person in car and there are checkpoints all over town and you must show them your grocery receipt, etc. or your car will be confiscated and you will be fined.  There is a curfew that begins at 8PM and since Argentine restaurants do not open until after 8PM, there are no meal deliveries available.  Also no Amazon or other businesses that offer "online" purchasing/delivery.

Our family live outside Buenos Aires and when their printer ran out of ink they have no way to purchase!

This is how they have kept their COVID-19 rate and deaths down.....not like "shelter in place" with people allowed out when ever they want to go where ever they want as in other countries...

According to news reports Argentina continues to permit countries to arrange repatriation flights for their stranded citizens.

The following report relates to the most recent flight to Australia:

This weekend will see charter flight QF7028 from Buenos Aires pick up more than 150 Australians, along with 20 New Zealanders, who have been stranded in South America for many weeks since the coronavirus outbreak.

Staffed by a volunteer crew, the Boeing 787-9 will depart Buenos Aires at 2pm on Saturday April 25, commencing a 15 hour, 11,600km trek back to Melbourne for a 7.30pm touchdown on Sunday April 26.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rialannah said:

According to news reports Argentina continues to permit countries to arrange repatriation flights for their stranded citizens.

The following report relates to the most recent flight to Australia:

This weekend will see charter flight QF7028 from Buenos Aires pick up more than 150 Australians, along with 20 New Zealanders, who have been stranded in South America for many weeks since the coronavirus outbreak.

Staffed by a volunteer crew, the Boeing 787-9 will depart Buenos Aires at 2pm on Saturday April 25, commencing a 15 hour, 11,600km trek back to Melbourne for a 7.30pm touchdown on Sunday April 26.

That is very nice and the humanitarian thing to do.

I wonder what is the minimum required for such a flight? How many more Americans are "stuck" there that wish to go home?

I guess the embassy would know.

I must confess I'd love to be "stuck" in Recoleta.

That said, I'm a bit surprised (most of) the S. American countries aren't taking a more co-ordinated approach. The guy in Brazil is just visiting our planet and there's always been a language barrier around Brazil, but in recent years most of the Spanish-speaking countries have been able to stop shooting at each other ong enough to integrate immigration and trade. And the size of the herd of wet cats is smaller than the EU. 

14 hours ago, clo said:

Both born and raised in Beaverton, moved around SW Portland area and now live in Tigard...love Grants Pass- went rafting on the Rogue every summer in the 80's - 90's...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

That is very nice and the humanitarian thing to do.

I wonder what is the minimum required for such a flight? How many more Americans are "stuck" there that wish to go home?

I guess the embassy would know.

US Citizens can register with the US Embassy in Buenos Aires and then, if there is a repatriation flight, the citizens are notified .  The flights are not free and cost many thousands of dollars per person.   Here is a link to their web page with the details....an interesting read particularly concerning what is entailed to get to the airport - https://ar.usembassy.gov/health-alert-argentina-6/

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Could they fly out of Montevideo which can easily be reached from Argentina (or maybe not)?

Thank you for the suggestion.....they do not live in or near Buenos Aires but live in the 7 Lakes District on the Chilean/Argentine border.  They are looking into flying out of Santiago, if they can get across the border..  Delta is tentatively going to start service between Santiago and Atlanta mid May..

It is an easy ferry ride from Buenos Aires to Montevideo for those living on that side of the country but, again, the borders are closed and, as of now, no international flights departing from Montevideo.

Again with the strict no travel restrictions, even getting in your car and driving anywhere is not allowed so multiple issues to deal with that we are not faced with here in the US.